IGNORED

New PING G30s

Dozer
Note: This thread is 2560 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey, y'all. I'm new to the forum and renewed to golf after 15 years. My handicap right now is 18.2, according to Swing by Swing. I have been playing a set of Ping Zings that I had extended 1" for my height. (6'-4")  They are decent clubs but I just wasn't getting a good connection with them. Now I'm geared up with a set of Ping g30s. (4-pw,uw,sw,lw) and Callaway V series woods. Do y'all think I made a good choice in equipment or do I need to rethink?

• Upvote 1

PING G30 irons 4-pw, uw, sw, lw.

Callaway Big Bertha V-Series driver, 3 wood and Heavenwood. 

Odyssey White Hot putter with 5.0 fatso grip.

Titleist DT Trusoft balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

G-30s are great. I'd love to have a set, or G-Max, which I liked even better when I hit them last week. When I can take advantage of them, and I've saved for them, I'll be happy to decide. Nice get.

Wayne

I guess that question can only be answered by you.  A lot of people are plenty happy with the above clubs you noted.  But most importantly, are you happy with them?  Are they working for you?

Edited by Denny Bang Bang

Thanks, Blackjack Don.

Denny Bang Bang, honestly, I haven't gotten the irons yet. I ordered them Monday. I'm excited about getting them in!

12 minutes ago, Dozer said:

Thanks, Blackjack Don.

Denny Bang Bang, honestly, I haven't gotten the irons yet. I ordered them Monday. I'm excited about getting them in!

Ahh, so maybe a little initial buyers remorse until you get to put them to the ball?  Hope you get the chance to give them a go soon, and hope they work out.  Let us know what you think once you get them.

Haha. Maybe so. 

3 hours ago, Dozer said:

Thanks, Blackjack Don.

Welcome to the site @Dozer! Just a quick heads up, it's preferable if you use the @ feature when speaking to other users or use the quote / multiquote features when referencing other posts. The former helps people know you're talking to them (they get a notification) and the latter helps give clarity about exactly what you're talking about (it can get confusing in long threads!). Here are some links about how to do all that. These are all found in the How To... menu at the top of the site

https://thesandtrap.com/how-to/mention-members/

https://thesandtrap.com/how-to/quote-posts/

You should also add your 18.2 handicap to your profile so that everyone can know for the future when you ask questions or make comments. Helps give people context. 

All that is just a friendly heads-up! Welcome again to the site, you seem like a wonderful addition to the community!

4 hours ago, Dozer said:

Now I'm geared up with a set of Ping g30s. (4-pw,uw,sw,lw) and Callaway V series woods. Do y'all think I made a good choice in equipment or do I need to rethink?

Those are all solid clubs in a bubble, but it's so user specific that it's hard to say. If you're happy with them, that's the most important thing. One thought: do you find the 4 iron easy to hit? Especially as someone who has went with the V-series, which was designed for slower swing speeds, I'm curious whether a 4 iron is the best choice for the high end of your irons. As a fellow high handicapper, I know I struggle with irons that long. I don't bag a 4 iron. Sometimes, frankly, I consider losing my 5 iron in favor of a hybrid. That'd be my only real point I'd be wary of in terms of bag composition. But play with it for a while and, honestly, you'll know yourself soon enough. If you have the option of making a change still, that'd be the thing I look at. Also, I personally hate the wedges that come with game improvement sets; I find them hard to manipulate for non-full shots. I've bought bladed wedges to supplement my irons. But that's totally personal preference! Your handicap is kind of on the bubble of where you might have strong enough preferences for wedges and what you like to see, so it's something to consider if you haven't tried those wedges yet. Or again, you might like them and not care. I'm just throwing out thoughts.

Edited by dkolo
  • Upvote 1

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

@dkolo, I sure do appreciate all your help. I knew this was going to go a great place to be. As far as the 4 iron is concerned, I don't mind using it when it's needed. (My old set had a 3 and a 2 iron, which were used very little) It really fills the gap between my 5 iron and Heavenwood. A hybred does sound like a good idea though. My wedge game needs LOTS of work so hopefully the set wedges will work. The blade wedges were 100 bucks a piece and the g30s were 75. I got REALLY close to the end of my budget so I went with the set ones. I'll post my efforts with my new clubs as soon as I get em! (Hopefully tomorrow) I feel like a little kid before Christmas!!! 

8 hours ago, Dozer said:

@dkolo, I sure do appreciate all your help. I knew this was going to go a great place to be. As far as the 4 iron is concerned, I don't mind using it when it's needed. (My old set had a 3 and a 2 iron, which were used very little) It really fills the gap between my 5 iron and Heavenwood. A hybred does sound like a good idea though. My wedge game needs LOTS of work so hopefully the set wedges will work. The blade wedges were 100 bucks a piece and the g30s were 75. I got REALLY close to the end of my budget so I went with the set ones. I'll post my efforts with my new clubs as soon as I get em! (Hopefully tomorrow) I feel like a little kid before Christmas!!! 

I'm with you about being budget conscious! In the future, keep an eye on Callaway's Preowned site. I've raved about it before, but they sell used, as well as brand new clubs for way cheap. I've bought every club in my bag save for a PING PW and a Cleveland GW from them. Brand new current model MD3 wedges were $70 and change. They have sales all the time. Like I said, something to keep in mind for the future!

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

I know how you feel when you're waiting for clubs to come in and you've paid for them -- then you wonder and pray that they'll work! Keep us updated on how you get on with them. I love the PING brand and aside from my putter and one wedge, all my clubs are PING. They make amazing things and have incredible service. Tell us how they work out!

Andrew M.

10 hours ago, dkolo said:

I'm with you about being budget conscious! In the future, keep an eye on Callaway's Preowned site. I've raved about it before, but they sell used, as well as brand new clubs for way cheap. I've bought every club in my bag save for a PING PW and a Cleveland GW from them. Brand new current model MD3 wedges were $70 and change. They have sales all the time. Like I said, something to keep in mind for the future!

I will. I got my g30s on sale for $499  (4-pw), new. Not a bad deal, I thought.

• iacas changed the title to New PING G30s
  • 2 weeks later...
On Friday, January 20, 2017 at 8:58 PM, Dozer said:

I ordered my G30s on Jan 16th and was supposed to get them on Jan 23rd but I didn't get them until Feb 3rd, which was Saturday. A little frustrating since I  sold my old clubs on Jan 25th. lol  I now have my G30s (4-pw, uw, sw, lw, 1"+, with stiff shafts and Winn oversized DriTac grips)

I hit em at the range Saturday and was pleased with em. Played 9 holes yesterday and am tickled!! They hit high and long, and are VERY forgiving!! I think I've found the clubs I'll use for a long long time!!

Thanks @PING and thanks, @PatrickHanson at The Golf Nut in Ft. Smith, AR.  

14 minutes ago, Kalnoky said:

@Dozer I've always liked the clean aesthetic of Ping clubs. They look less like a race car and more like a golf club. 

I agree. They show their sexyness with the way they play.

How about a review of those grips when you've played a few rounds. The one I got on my used G30 driver has worn out fast.

Congrats on the clubs. May they bring you joy and success.

Wayne

25 minutes ago, Blackjack Don said:

How about a review of those grips when you've played a few rounds. The one I got on my used G30 driver has worn out fast.

Congrats on the clubs. May they bring you joy and success.

I actually had these grips on my old clubs. Got them in June and have played every Tuesday since. I've played them in hot, cold, dry and wet and they are very comfortable and consistantly tacky. I haven't noticed any worn spots on my woods yet. I hear they don't last as long as the firmer grips but it'd be pretty hard to go to anything else. We'll just have to see how consistant they stay.

Just for rounding purposes, I got this driver last month, used, but the grip might have been new. I have hit probably 400 on the range since. Not many on the course. It's a great grip, very soft and sticky. I like it a lot, but it's not holding up well enough. But given your use, I'd think they should last quite awhile.

Wayne

1 minute ago, Blackjack Don said:

Just for rounding purposes, I got this driver last month, used, but the grip might have been new. I have hit probably 400 on the range since. Not many on the course. It's a great grip, very soft and sticky. I like it a lot, but it's not holding up well enough. But given your use, I'd think they should last quite awhile.

Gosh, I hope so.

Note: This thread is 2560 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!