IGNORED

How Can I Ever Get an Eagle?

paininthenuts
Note: This thread is 1667 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 1/22/2017 at 3:45 PM, iacas said:

holing out a second shot on relatively short par fours.

That's how I got my very first a few weeks ago. How? Hit the drive into position and hit the second straight at the flag on an uphill green...A complete surprise to me. I'm amazed at (and envious of) the posters who seem to do it regularly. Best, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Im a month shy of 65 playing my hole life I had my 1st and only eagle this year. 350yd par 4 I holed out a wedge from 118, lol I saved the ball dirt and all and its going to go in a ball display. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I’ve had a couple and most were mostly a lot of luck.  My first was a chip in from 10 feet off the green on a par 5, when I was just learning to use my 60 degree wedge.  The second was when I got a kind bounce on a long 2nd shot on a par 5, it rolled to within 2 feet.  Third was a holdout from the fairway from 85 yards, this was my favorite one because I knew I hit it exactly the way I envisioned it.  My last one was this year on a 545 yard par 5, I pulled my tee shot a bit left and clipped a small branch overhanging the fairway which kept me on the fairway.  My 2nd shot was a nice 3w that landed on the apron and rolled right past the hole.  I was actually thinking albatross, lol. I get up to the green and I’m about 15 feet past the hole.  My partners were trash talking, trying to make me nervous.  I actually hit a bad putt but misread the green and it went in.  I’ve never had a hole in one so the eagles are some of my greatest memories.  Point being, for us hackers, eagles are a combination of perseverance and luck.

On 1/21/2017 at 4:29 AM, paininthenuts said:

Our course is very long, and there is only one par 4 I can reach in two shots, so the chances of a eagle is remote. Likewise with the par 5s. There isn't one I stand a chance of reaching in two, so the best I can hope for is a birdie.

I think you are being way too hard on yourself. Your opportunity lies in either playing a shorter course, different tees maybe, or if you are physically capable, learning how to gain some distance with the shots you have to hit.

Without knowing your age or physical makeup, it's hard to say whether gaining distance is realistic. Just stop beating yourself up over it.

I've had a good day if I don't fall out of the cart...

• Administrator
13 hours ago, DennisMiller said:

I think you are being way too hard on yourself. Your opportunity lies in either playing a shorter course, different tees maybe, or if you are physically capable, learning how to gain some distance with the shots you have to hit.

Without knowing your age or physical makeup, it's hard to say whether gaining distance is realistic. Just stop beating yourself up over it.

Again, fellas:

On 9/19/2019 at 7:12 PM, billchao said:

I just want to point out, for the people who have been tagging and quoting @paininthenuts, that member is banned and will not be able to respond.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I still haven't had an eagle, I had a putt for eagle on a par 5 yesterday after a driver and 5 wood had me on the green. I had about twenty feet for eagle. I had the line perfect for the putt but I left it about 4 inches short, tap in birdie. Later in the same round I almost drove a par 4 that has a big dog leg, I put it on the fringe but had a very long putt for eagle, the ball was on the fringe at the front and the pin was at the back, I ended up 3 putting so was disappointed with that. I was happy with the drive though, 321 yards. The hole is listed as about 370 yards but obviously if you take the corner which has quite high trees it is shorter

10 hours ago, iacas said:

Again, fellas: (Member banned, etc)

Since I don't see anything in his profile to say so, how do we know? Admittedly, I did not read the whole thread before making my comments. A couple other forums where I've been a moderator, when someone is banned, all their posts disappear, as does their profile. i don't expect every forum software to work the same way, but how are we supposed to know, not that a reply was solicited anyway.

• Upvote 1

I've had a good day if I don't fall out of the cart...

• Administrator
33 minutes ago, DennisMiller said:

Since I don't see anything in his profile to say so, how do we know? Admittedly, I did not read the whole thread before making my comments. A couple other forums where I've been a moderator, when someone is banned, all their posts disappear, as does their profile. i don't expect every forum software to work the same way, but how are we supposed to know, not that a reply was solicited anyway.

OT, and while there's no quick and easy way, his profile does state he hasn't visited since 2017.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

if you can't reach the par 4's in 2 shots, then, i dunno what to tell you, other than youre playing the wrong tees lol.  golf is hard man, eagles are tough, and hole in ones are near impossible believe it or not there are pga tour players who get a hole in one in a tour event and it's literally their first hole in one EVER, meanwhile some low handicappers have multiple hole in ones in their lifetime.  I have 0, but I'll take near par rounds over a hole in one while shooting 80 any day.   I only just this year got my first eagle after driving a 260 yard par 4 and draining a 15 foot putt.  I've started to come close on some par 5's this year too as I'm now starting to hit the green on 2nd shots, but again, my focus is not on getting the eagle but rather setting up easy birdies and making pars as my 2019 goal was to break 80, which I now do regularly, so my next goal is to shoot par on a full 70/72 course. 

as far as advice goes, you probably just have to be better.  eagles start with a good drive and a solid 2nd shot.  Know your distances, and be a solid ball striker so your shots actually go those distances 80% of the time, not just once in a blue moon.  I mean, unless youre getting 3-4 birds a round, what makes you think you deserve to get eagles? 

3-pw 2007 callaway x-forged
56 cleveland
60 cleveland 
Driver - Callaway xr16
3w - Callaway xr16
Shoes - Etonic stabilite sport

I don't know if it counts but I play in a league where we play a best ball scramble. also we're over 65 year old so we play it forward. Had a straight out par 5, one of the guys hit a great tee shot down the middle, I hit a great 3W onto the green, ~20 feet from the hole. I putted and the ball went in for an eagle. But as I said it took a team effort to make it. I have never had an eagle playing stroke play in all my years of playing.

Note: This thread is 1667 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!