IGNORED

Best Shot of the Week

iacas

Today is the best day in my life! First hole I hit a overpowered 100 lay up shot and ended up behind the green, ball blocked by a tree. I used my 56 degree, hit a perfect shot thru the "Y" shape tree trunk and landed on the green. Today is my 5th time playing on a golf course and broke 100. Never taken any golf lessons (will do soon).

Congrats! Keep at it and you'll be under 90 very soon.

Hit my tee shot a bit right and ended up with a semi blocked approach shot, ended up going to the left sitting in between two bunkers about 10 feet below the green. Did a punch type shot with my 60° and dropped it 2 inches from the cup. Awesome feeling not having to go get your putter.

Waiting out the 2 feet of snow that just dropped on the course....

Hit the range yesterday to work a little on the swing. An unnecessarily high number of shots this season are creeping towards the toe. Working on keeping the left side tension with a taut left lat through the shot keeps that left shoulder from pulling off the line so quickly and exposing the toe. Attempted to play 9 today. Bad decision, should-a hit the range. Scorecard was par-par-triple-par-par-quadruple-par-par-par. Anyways, after the quadruple, I was trying to put the wheels back on, so I just took a little tighter grip, played a 3-wood off the tee and hit a decent tee shot to 100 yards. Pin was left with complete disaster penalizing anyone missing left, both short and long. Lie was downhill and very slightly above the feet. My ego wanted to go for it, but I exercised some severe restraint, knowing that I hadn't grooved the action yet and with the stance and lie, it would be hard to pull off a straight shot. Played a very comfortable and ugly low knuckle fade to 20 feet right of the pin and an easy 2-putt par. It was a good shot choice and got me back into a comfortable spot to finish the round up nicely.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

#17 today, 427 yard Par 4, 30mph wind in my face off the tee which really grabbed the ball. End up with 190 into the green for my 2nd shot. With the wind, I grabbed the 7 Wood and put a great swing on it, but lost sight of it going towards the green. Walked up to the green, and the ball was 8 ft from the cup, where I promptly missed my birdie putt, but walked away with a happy par.

Sunday at Mcleansboro, IL. 6th hole, 452 yard par 5. The hole is a dogleg right with trees guarding cutting the corner of the dogleg. I decide Im going to try to tee it up high and clear the trees with my driver. Ive gotten lucky before and hit it through the trees, especially later in the year with no leaves on the trees. I swing really hard and make pretty good contact, just clearing the trees and landing in the fairway about 175 yards from the green. Hit my 4 hybrid to the left fringe and 2 putt for birdie. First birdie in about 2 months, though not playing quite as often this late in the year.

Driver-Taylormade Burner Ti 420 cc 10.5 deg reg flex
3 wood-orlimar rcx 14 deg
Hybrids-warrior golf 20 deg, 23 deg and 26 deg
6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 irons steel shafts, reg flex, 56 deg tour series wedge
Putter-Rife 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet...

on a par three at my usual course i was playing with my dad visitng from newcastle. he was usuing my brothers clubs which contained a chipper...i had a short chip to get on to the green so grabbed his chipper and after duffing the first shot, chipped in for a par 3

I played a hole yesterday that is a par 4, 401 yards with water left all the way. You have to land the drive on a peninsula jutting out from the left and the second shot to a shallow green over water again. Caution is advised with a driver as the peninsula is "shaved" so the further left you go (toward the green) the shorter the drive needs to be (218 to the water extreme left point). So I hit a 5 wood (225 yards for me) aimed at the center of the peninsula but hit draw and ended up at the far left with 200 yards to go and most of it carry (Probably 180 to clear the water). I then hit the 4 hybrid (23*) to the front edge and it rolled out some to 12' from the pin. To quote Brian from BB, I "pured it" better than any shot I hit yesterday or this month for that matter. Ended up par and I don't remember parring that hole ever before. It is the number one handicap hole and course slope is 129. Lessons are beginning to show results for sure.

Butch

Huh, managed to hit the ball straight down the fairway without it slicing. This may not be a big deal for all the pro's on this board but for me as a beginer it was an absolute triumph! I'm finally starting to get a hang of this amazing game called golf. Addict ive isný it?

I did manage to get out and play yesterday, not going to brave it today, about 40 deg with a 20 mph wind making it feel like 25. Yesterday on 4th hole at Colonial after a less than spectacuar drive had just inside of 150 left but was in the fairway. Pulled out my 6 iron, hadnt hit a full shot with that club in a long time, i usually skip over it and use my 5 hybrid or try to stretch a 7 iron. Hit my shot, even took a nice divot, thought at first i had actually hit it a bit fat. Ball lands on front part of green and releases back to the hole to about 8 ft, closest ive been on a shot that distance in a long time. Missed the birdie putt but still was an easy par.

Driver-Taylormade Burner Ti 420 cc 10.5 deg reg flex
3 wood-orlimar rcx 14 deg
Hybrids-warrior golf 20 deg, 23 deg and 26 deg
6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 irons steel shafts, reg flex, 56 deg tour series wedge
Putter-Rife 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet...

On the 9th hole, a long uphill dogleg left par 4 to a raised green, put my second shot partially under some trees on the right, about 100 yards from the center of the green, pin in the back. Hit my best shot of the day: an 8 iron punch that was exactly as planned, came out under the trees and landed leaving a pitch mark about 10 feet in from the front of the green. It must have been spinning like crazy, because even with the low trajectory it stopped about 3 feet off the back of the green, 10-12 feet from the pin. Very nearly putted it in from the fringe, just came up 2 feet short and tapped in for bogey. That's my best score ever on the hole, which really ought to be a par 5 IMO, and it was really nice to end on a great shot (usually the hole leaves a nasty taste in your mouth).

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Hmmm...its kinda odd. Even in my worst rounds I can look to one shot and say yeah, that was a great shot...but today, one of my best rounds of the year and I just played solid.

So I guess on 9, a 164 yd par 3 that for some odd reason always gives me trouble (creek sits right before the green, its not a hard hole though) finally hit the middle of the green even with some wicked wind blowing. Missed the 15 ft bird but sank the par put.

Waiting out the 2 feet of snow that just dropped on the course....

Hit the fairway (12 yards wide) on a short par-4. Steeply uphill 4-iron 190 yards. Pure and straight. Best shot of the round.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

Hole 5, par 5 500 yards. Straight hole, downhill at first that leads to a creek right at around 250 yards. I've put so many balls in that creek off the tee I have resorted to using a 3 wood and playing this hole as a 3 shot par 5. Yesterday I was striking the ball well, especially the driver at the range and I figured I could get over the creek. That and the first 4 holes werent anything spectacular and I decided to risk it. I made sure I was aligned correctly and focused on not overswinging. I knew when the ball left the face I was clear of the creek. I was left with around a 200 yard uphill shot give or take. (I rarely hit 300 yard drives, but the ground is hard around here this time of year and it is downhill the first half of the hole) I decided on 4 iron with a slight breeze at my back. I aligned 5 yards right of the green, smooth backswing, stayed in tempo and sent a beautiful 5 yard draw landing on the front of the green. No spin, or either the green didn't accept the spin, the ball bounced all the way to the back of the green. I had a 20 footer for eagle, dead straight. Nailed it. My first eagle. One of the first holes for me where it all came together.

Driver - VR str8 fit
3 wood - Burner 09
3 hybrid - Burner hybrid
Irons - VR split cavity S300 shaft
SW - CG15 56 degreeLW - VR forged 60 degreePutter - Studio select

just started playing this fall ... at Water Gap Country Club, there is the par 3 - hitting from elevated tee box to higher elevated green. It's called Hagen's Folly ... walter always won the tournament back in the day, but he missed left & it's practically impossible to make it back up the 60 ft embankment & legend goes he shot a 9 & lost the tournament. Highlight of my first year is that it was my first birdie - shot a 2 & beat Hagen !

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

just started playing this fall ... at Water Gap Country Club, there is the par 3 - hitting from elevated tee box to higher elevated green. It's called Hagen's Folly ... walter always won the tournament back in the day, but he missed left & it's practically impossible to make it back up the 60 ft embankment & legend goes he shot a 9 & lost the tournament. Highlight of my first year is that it was my first birdie - shot a 2 & beat Hagen !

If anybody's interested - kind of a fun read (looking back, it's amazing what the old pro's were able to accomplish with hickory shafts & persimmon heads & certainly not as well manicured greens ....)

http://articles.mcall.com/2003-06-04...ationwide-tour

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades