IGNORED

Best Shot of the Week

iacas

best shot this week was a 5-wood i hit to an uphill green on a par 5 from about 210 yards out that i smashed straight towards the flag.  it wound up stopping about a yard off the front edge of the green, but the flag was at the bottom of the green, so i just had about a 12 foot chip up remaining.  very narrowly missed the chip and had a tap-in birdie.

• 2 weeks later...

While, as so often happens, my round was a frustrating, dismal, steaming pile of organically-processed horse feed, I did hit one fantastic shot on the last hole.  Best part is it wasn't just a total fluke, it was exactly like I drew it up.

Ball was on the rising side of a big mound, so it was a bit uphill and above my feet.  The line to the green was just to the left of the peak of the mound.  There was a small tree / large bush ahead and just left of the line with a lowest fir branch maybe 10 feet above the ground.  Just beyond that was a taller deciduous tree on the right, followed by trees and branches lining just to the right of the target line.  The GPS said 164 yards to the center.  My 4-iron punch came out low, threaded the needle perfectly under the branches on the left and right, and then rose up skirting right along the tree line.  I couldn't see it land, but it came up just short of the green, maybe 2 yards off, where it had probably hit the rise of the hill up to the green and stopped without much run-out.  It was a ton of fun to watch, had to do that "hit the ball then run left to watch it around the tree" thing you see on TV sometimes, and it was really cool to see the ball flight from the side.

Shame it was my 4th shot on a par 5 and I took 3 more to get down... oh well, it was the shot that brings you back next week.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

hmm, my best this week would have to been on the par 5 13th drive left me 234 over water with the ball above my feet and on a upslope,i pulled my 4i the wind was helping/crossing at this point swung at it and ended up 20ft right of the hole missed the eagle but tap in birdies are nice.

Hit driver to the middle right of the fairway leaving 160 yards to the stick on left side of the green.  Wind was from the right and hurting.  I needed to hit a little knockdown 6-iron about 50 feet right of the stick.  Took aim at a house behind the green in the distance, and hit it pure.  Ball went straight, climbed, wind pushed it left and it left about a 4-foot putt.  Everything came off exactly as I planned.  Putt was a left-to-righter, which is my specialty.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

Originally Posted by CassinoNorth

This thread depresses me.

My best shot on the simulator was a 310 yard drive. Woo.

Move to Texas.  Golf season never closes, just gets delayed by a day or so until any random system moves out of the area.  Weather for this week on a scale of 1-10 for golf according to the weather channel:  Mon-10, Tuesday-10, Wed-10, Thur-9, Fri-10, Sat-10.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

My best shot today was an uphill lie approach shot with a PW on an elevated green Par 4 that you can't really see. I stuck the 2nd shot within 4 or 5 feet.

Then missed the putt....

The club selection of a true hacker:

Driver: Nike Dymo2 SQ
3 and 5 Wood: Nike Dymo2 SQ
Irons: Adams Idea Tech OS Hybrid Irons (5-PW)
Wedges: Maxfli 56* and 60*
Putter: Odyssey White Ice #1 in Copper

Well I just got two new hybrids today and put them in play later in the afternoon. Adams A7 #3 & #4. Anyways, I had to pull my 4 hybrid on a par 3, 175 yards, into the wind, and I stuffed it to 6 feet!!! Made a birdie and ran… Hahaha, it was a great round today!

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

The great irony of life: "If nobody gets out alive, what's holding you back!?"

Rattled the flagstick on a par-3 from about 20 yards. My tee shot was a hair short and noticeably left of the pin, leaving me just shy of the green. I pulled off the perfect pitch which hit a few feet from the pin, bounced, and rolled toward the pin, grazed off it, and came to a stop about 8 inches away.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

playing first hole at a new course - drive went 15 yds right of fairway - approach over water cleared hill beyond backside of green, lying in rough. I had to execute a blind 30 yd flop out of rough, back over the backside hill with about 10ft of green to work with. I hit it perfect, it landed on green, took a little skip, and went in for BIRDIE!

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

One of the best feelings in golf is pulling off a deliberate shot.

I probably had 2 "shots of the week", one chip that had to land on a spot about 6 inches sqaure, and my second into the #1 indexed 4th. I hit my drive left onto the adjoining fairway. The green was blocked out by trees that are too high to hit over. I got my hybrid out (I had about 170m to the green) and aimed, set up and executed the perfect fade around the trees.

I had just watched the video iacas posted with David Feherty commenting on ball flight laws the day before!

I set up on the line I wanted to swing on, aimed my face where I needed the ball to start, and just nailed it. Middle of the green, 2 putt par.

I played last weekend at Quail Ridge and I was on a 154 yard par 3.

Since I'm still a beginner and can't hit my 3 wood as far as I should be able to, I decided to give it a shot.

I lined up, toed the club face in a little bit (I slice a lot and that seems to work) gave my feet a little two step to get comfortable and swung while hoping for the best.

My jaw hit the ground when the ball landed on the green, 10 inches from the hole.

That was my first birdie ever and I think it's pretty awesome considering that I've only played 5 rounds since I took up golf in January.

I'm surprised that the thought never crossed my mind to start playing golf considering that I've lived about 25 minutes away from Pinehurst for 13 years (I'm sure a few of you have heard of the area).

I had another awesome shot that day. On a par 5 I landed about 30 yards from the green on stroke #3. I chipped the ball with my 7 iron and it stopped about 14 inches from the hole. Got par on that one. My friend that I was playing with had just showed me how to chip with a 7 iron that day. I was using my lob wedge for shots like that before he showed me how to do it.

Hyper X 10º driver Diablo Edge 9.5º backup driver

Burner Rescue 3 hybrid 4-A irons 56º wedge 60º wedge CRAZ-E putter

My best shot was a chip in par,ball above my feet to a downhill bout 1 foot of break.It looked like tigers famous chip at augusta it paused in the lip for about a second then fell.It was a good way to keep a round going.

From the middle of the FW a 167 yard six iron with a perfect draw over a tree (guards the front right of the green) and a creek which fronts the green to the very front of the green. I needed two more clubs to get the ball near the hole because I didn't account for the wind. The putt was at least 75 feet and I put it to 2 feet and made par.

Today I had a terrible round, but I managed to sink a 60 ft+ putt, right to left, downhill on 18 to go home with a par…

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

The great irony of life: "If nobody gets out alive, what's holding you back!?"

I lined up a 50ft downhill putt for birdie on the 17th this weekend. I assessed the break as being left-to-right. I stepped back, re-aligned, and hit it. I managed to horribly mihit the putt, it wasn't even close to being on the line I'd picked. Mishitting a putt like only happens once every 5 or so games. Instead of going left of the pin, the ball went right of it. Somehow, I'd also mis-read the break. It was right-to-left, not left-to-right. I holed the putt. I can't believe that I mis-putted and misread the break and somehow still made a downhill 50ft putt for birdie. I was just shocked.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Finally got out to play 9 holes today.  I had been working on some things at the range the last 2 weeks and hit some really solid shots.  One in particular stands out.

3rd hole, 400 yd par 4, water on the right at an angle about 251 yds out.  I push my drive a bit right and it lands about 250 yds and I see it bounce, but don't see where it finished.  I find my ball just inside the hazard line, but dry on a slight downhill lie.  I have about 150 yds to a front pin over water.  PROBLEM, there is a wall of reeds / high grass / brush along the bank of the pond.  It's about 2 feet in front of my ball and about 3 1/2-4 feet high.  I can't go right at the green, so I aim 30 yds left where the high grass now is about 4 paces in front (the lie was helping me a bit, downhill and slightly below my feet), setup for a nice fade / slice (aim face where I want to start the thing, out-to-in swing).  Hit my 7-iron perfectly, it clears the high grass, fades / slices and lands about 4 feet left of the hole.  Perfect, turned a bogey or worse into a birdie!  One of the best 'golf shots' I've ever hit!!!

In my :nike:  bag on my :clicgear: cart ...

Driver: :ping: G10 9*    3-Wood: :cleveland: Launcher
Hybrid: :adams: 20* Hybrid      Irons: :ping: i5 4-GW - silver dot, +1/2"
Wedges: :cleveland: 56* (bent to 54*) and 60* CG10     Putter: :ping: Craz-e (original blue)