IGNORED

Best Shot of the Week

iacas

Best shot of my week came when I was having the most fun - of course! I was hitting the ball pretty well so on the 14th hole I asked my buddy to call my drive. He pointed to a large overhanging tree on the right side of the fairway about 180 yards out. He told me that he wanted me to kiss the left side of the tree with a soft draw and end up on the middle left of the fairway. Now, I dont play that much golf so I mostly stick to my go-to shot which is a soft fade, so a soft draw is hard for me. I have the snap hook covered but the soft draw is tough. I made sure to concentrate extra hard during my preshot routine and really trust the shot. I took a deep breath, swung, looked up, and saw a nice little draw go about 8 feet left of the tree and draw to the left of the fairway. Easily one of the best shots of my last few years.

Originally Posted by Noonan1

Best shot of my week came when I was having the most fun - of course! I was hitting the ball pretty well so on the 14th hole I asked my buddy to call my drive. He pointed to a large overhanging tree on the right side of the fairway about 180 yards out. He told me that he wanted me to kiss the left side of the tree with a soft draw and end up on the middle left of the fairway. Now, I dont play that much golf so I mostly stick to my go-to shot which is a soft fade, so a soft draw is hard for me. I have the snap hook covered but the soft draw is tough. I made sure to concentrate extra hard during my preshot routine and really trust the shot. I took a deep breath, swung, looked up, and saw a nice little draw go about 8 feet left of the tree and draw to the left of the fairway. Easily one of the best shots of my last few years.

So you're saying you didn't kiss the tree ?

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

Other than a monster drive which, of course, was a provisional that never came into play, the best shot (so far) this week was a chip. I'd pulled my approach and had about 20 yards to the pin, from underneath a big tree. For difficulty, there was a bunker to the left with its right edge just on the line from the ball to the flag. The bunker was against a mound, with the green on the other side sloped away. Not much green to work with near the flag, though it was an option to play to the big empty part of the green straight over the bunker. I thought about that, but between leaving a long par putt and the risk of blowing it all the way off since it sloped a bit away, I decided to go for the glory. Hit a chip just as I pictured it, low enough that the tree was not in play but high enough to clear the bunker. Landed on the grass just short of the fringe, a couple feet over the lip of the bunker, slowing it down so it stopped about 7 feet from the pin with an uphill putt. Drained it for a nice par save. There may have been a way to put the ball closer to the pin from that spot, but not by much... The shot was all the sweeter because it was part of a streak of four consecutive pars!

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

I hit a great shot into the par 3 8th. 148m to the flag.Set up with the sucker pin back and left. Hit 7 iron, a nice high draw that started at the centre of the green and drew left a couple of metres. One hop on landing to about 6 feet. Made the birdie putt which felt good. especially after taking a quad on the 7th

ellenbrook8_large.jpg

Played my first 9 of the year yesterday... FINALLY!... for some reason the spring weather installation program kept failing for the last month....

I had a lousy score... I normally shoot 45 to 51 on 9 holes, and yesterday due to all the rust, I carded a craptacular 59...

However, I had two great holes... On the 510 yard par five I striped a drive with my new to me Ping G5 driver, Hit a hybrid to 65 yards, and then hit a wedge on the green to 6 feet and made the birdie putt for my first bird of the year. Putting 4 good solid shots together in the first 9 holes of the year felt really good.

It got better, on the 9th hole, I topped my drive, hit an iron to about 40 yards, and was facing a bunker a pretty narrow tongue of the green , and then a bunker on the other side.

I looked it over and figured, what the heck my score is already stratospheric, so why not try something risky..

I visualized a full shot with my 60 degree wedge layed open (A mickleson)

Hit it perfectly, It went straight vertical, and dropped softly onto the green about 8 feet from the cup. I rolled that putt to about 6 inches  for a tap in bogey.

It means more to me when I can actually hit the exact shot that I plan, than when I happen to hit a great fade, while planning to hit a draw.

Today's  9 holes was a marked improvement. I played the same 9 holes with a score of 48 (11 shots improvement) One of the holes is a 340 yard par 4. I striped a drive with my G5 to about 50 yards from the green right in the middle of the fairway. In all the years i've played that hole, that is the closest I've ever been to the green for my 2nd shot by about 30 yards, and there was no special tail wind, just the fact that the fairways are still pretty hard from winter, and I probably got a nice bounce.

320 yard par 4 downhill.  Slight dogleg right with trees protecting the green so you have to go over top of the trees which are somewhat tall and there is a creek that you need to carry about 280 if you pull driver.  Basically it is a layup hole but me and a buddy were messing around so we pull driver.  I hit a driver solid and dead at the green we get down there im pin high 20 feet left of the hole, and i made the putt!  Best shot and best hole of the week (:

What's in my bag?
Driver- Taylormade TP Burner 2.0 5 wood- Launcher (4-GW)- Jpx Pro 800 SW- X Forged LW- 588 X Wedge- Tp-Z Putter- Unitized Tiempo

"Hard work beats talent"-Tim Tebow

I had a crazy hole out today! 35 yard pitch shot, I flew it in the cup on the fly! No bounce at all. There was a foursome at the tee box next to the green that all went nuts when I jarred it. Craziest birdie of my "career!" My dad gave me a big bear hug right after. Great, great moment!

This Jordan shot best resembles what happened, except mine was from farther out and in the rough:

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I had a few great hybrid shots yesterday, but the best was on a short par-4 with a forced lay-up at about 240. I pulled my 3-hybrid and hit it as sweetly as I've ever hit it. According to my cart's GPS I hit it about 230 yards, which is unprecedented distance for me, and it was dead in the middle of the fairway just in front of the water hazard for a perfect gap wedge approach. Slowly, slowly I'm gaining some distance and accuracy with the longer clubs.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

65 yard pitch shot to 4 inches.Made the putt!!!!

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

420-ish yd par 4, dogleg right, 7:30 pm.  tried to play a fade, but it ended up just going straight and rolled through the fairway about 10 ft into the rough.  trees hanging over the left side of the fairway, so i didn't have a clear shot at the pin.  170 or so left to the pin in the back left that i couldn't see very well since it was almost dark.  i cannot draw the ball very well, so i just tried to hook it around the trees to the pin.  took a rip and it didn't feel all that pure off the clubface, and i heard it hit a few leaves right after impact, so i was a little scared, and it was getting dark so i didn't see the ball flight.  i get to the green and my titleist is sitting about 5 ft from the pin.  :-)

of course i pulled the birdie putt but saved par.  for me (32 hcp), a par in and of itself is a victory, but to make one after a bad drive and a great second shot, i felt like a tour pro.

Saturday I it a 5 iron on a par 3 170 yard hole, elevated green into a stiff wind and the ball came to rest 1 inch behind the hole. Would have been my 4th hole in one. Oh well, at least I didn't have a stiff bar tab on the 19th hole. ;)

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

Short par 4, 330 yards. I drove my ball into some trees to the right and found my ball under a bush, managed to punch it out about 5 yards with my 5 iron, but had NO back swing on the next shot so again, only went 4ish yards, my next shot was another low punch I had to keep under the trees 40 yards from the green, hit it well and it rolled up and stopped 8 inches from the cup for a relieving bogey.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Mine was on the 14h hole, par 4 305 yards dead straight. After hitting a 220-yard drive behind a tree, and punching out onto the fairway, I topped my ball onto the down slope of a fairway bunker with about 60 yards to go. I then took a half swing with my SW that landed the ball on the green, 8 feet from the hole. Unfortunately, I two-putted for double-bogey.

Driver: :cobra: BiO Cell (10.5º)

Wood: :ping: G15 3 (15.5°)

Hybrids: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 3 (21º), 4 (24º)

Irons: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 5-PW

Wedges: :cleveland:588 RTX CB 50º, Paradise Black Chrome II Sand Wedge 56º

Was playing with my father and two uncles during last week. First nine went terrible, but on the back nine hut some of the best shots I ever have. Managed to get my driving sorted out and drove the ball as far as I ever have, and drove the green on a short ~300 yard par 4, three putted though :( Then after that hit my first par 3 green in regulation and sank a 12 ft downhill putt for my first birdie ever! Felt amazing :)

Sunday... hooked my 5 wood left behind a hill leaving me with a blind 210 yard shot to the pin. Let it rip and ended 15 feet from the cup and got my par

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

I had a shot during yesterdays windy round that reminded me why I love playing golf.

We had winds from the south around 25 mph, and I was playing a new course that I was unfamiliar with.  Played a 430-yard par 4 dead into the wind with a big crest in the fairway.  After hitting a drive high that got caught in the wind, I had 200 yards slightly downhill into a back pin with a ton of wind blowing right up the fairway. The wind had just picked up my playing partners long approach and thrown it short and left into a waste area. I was able to work a 3 iron low and draw it in over the right side, setting up a 8 foot birdie putt.

The shot felt great, but it was also identical to how i envisioned hitting it during my pre-shot routine.  It doesn't always happen, but when it does it feels great.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro