IGNORED

Best Shot of the Week

iacas

Played yesterday and hit driver about 270 down the middle, over water for about 200, to a narrow fairway with water on the left and OB on the right. I have more trust in my driver than any other club in my bag.  Hit a wedge on the green (also over water) and two putted for par.

I had my first ever Eagle earlier this week (see thread: First Eagle! Tell your first Eagle story!) and that was hands down the best shot of the week and my life!

Aside from that extremely lucky shot, I would have to say that my next best shot(s) were 2 putts from outside of 20ft for Birdie in our 3 man scramble tournament. Played with some seniors on Tuesday and one gentlemen stuck a Par 3 for  closest to the pin cash (20-21ft) and both of my partners had missed the putt. It was a double-break that started 1ft outside left of the hole and came back just an inch to the right of the hole - hesitated for a second and dropped right in as if it were slow motion.

The next putt was around 25ft and extremely lucky! I ignored a slight break on the putt and put some serious roll/speed behind it. The ball hit the back of the cup and popped up a few inches over the hole and dropped right in. It was some of the best putting that I had ever experienced!

played yesterday at a local 9 hole course. 2nd hole 260 yard par 4. slight dog-leg right. drove the green on 1. had about a 15-17ft eagle putt that i left literally an inch short. would have been my first eagle! tapped in for birdie. talked about all day.... even to my gf lol.

This was a couple weeks ago, but it's a fun story worth sharing.

I was playing in a corporate scramble and the event organizer had one of those 50/50 fundraising contests set-up on a par three.  You pay XX amount of dollars to enter and if you can hit it within a 20' diameter circle surrounding the pin, you're entered in a drawing to win 50% of the pot.............All ya' nee to is stick it within 10' of the pin...no problemmo!!

Well...I never enter these damn things...LOL.....but one of my playing partners paid to enter me. hahaha......and wouldn't ya know it, I stuck it inside of 10'ft!!!!  I was shocked to learn during the dinner afterwards that I was only 1 of 3 people to hit it inside the circle!!!....and they drew my ticket and I won $200!!  SWEEEEET!!!!   And yes.....I gave half of the winnings to my partner who paid to enter me.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Played on a new course today and was on a 175 yard par 3.  Wind was blowing straight at me so I decided to go with the 4 iron instead of 5.  I made the right choice and wound up on the green, it was one of those holes where if you come up short you are pretty much screwed so I was pretty happy with the results.   Had a nice first putt but then blew an easy 4 foot par put and wound up with a 4.

Was playing with my dad's clubs, so my distances were all messed up.  He has an A wedge that I hit 100-110, and then a 58° sand wedge that I hit about 75 yards on an ordinary shot.  I left myself with a 90 yard approach.  It was pretty flat and I didn't want to go long, so I figured I'd do my best to knock-down the 58° and just put all the stank on it that I could muster.  It could not have worked out better, it shot like a laser at the green and left a pitch mark pretty much square in the middle, then checked up 10 feet past the mark.  I don't think I made the put, but I think i'm in love with my dad's sand wedge.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Nothing too spectacular but went to scotland last weekend and the wind was howling (if you watched the walker cup we were about an hour from there so it was slightly windy haha) we had a 135 yard par 3 downhill straight into the teeth of the wind, i hit 8 iron on the saturday when there was barely any wind and that was too much club, so standing on the tee i had no idea what to hit, there were bunkers protecting the hole location so decided to play 5 iron (from 135 downhill!) i didnt quit on it and tried to drive it into the wind, i nailed it and put it inside 10 feet, i was so pleased with the shot i mean the wind was horrendous, i missed the putt but i was still happy that i pulled off a shot exactly how i was trying to

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

Wow....2011 eagle #6 is in the books!!  IMO...this is a cheap one, but it's still a 3 on a par five so it counts.  I was playing an away course on a short 475yd par 5.  The course was total crap and the fairways were burnt......I went driver 9-iron.  In fact, I didn't even hit a good second shot...LOL...I had to make a 30footer for the three!!  Hahaha......

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I forgot to mention this one form about 3 weeks ago. I was playing in a scramble, and the rules were that players over 65 were allowed to play from the second-to-front (white) tees, while everyone else had to play from the second-to-back (blue) tees. We had two guys on my team over 65, and one of them (an ex-MLB player) averaged around 250 off the tee. This was especially helpful on the 13th and 18th holes, both par-fives. On the 13th, I had 498 yards, while they had 396, and on the 18th I had518 while they had 401. We were at Shining Rock Golf Course, a newish course in Northbridge, MA, that has been one of the top-rated new courses in the country last year (though, if you ask me, it's a touch overrated). On 13 I hit a decent driver, but one of the old guys hit one about 240 (uphill, into the wind), just off the fairway. From the deep rough, with a ridiculous upslope, we had abut 165 yards. We were going way uphill and into the wind, so I decided to hit my 2-hybird, which is my 210 club. I opened the club face and planned to hit a soft cut, way up in the air. After one layup, one super-slice, and a duff, I was the last to go. If my shot was bad, we would still have about 100 yards into the green, and we really needed at least a birdie. I made sure to swing nice and soft, As the ball took off I knew it was going straight at it, but I was a little bit worried that it would go long, as these shots tend to do to me. When we got up to the green, my ball was right in the middle, about 12 feet. Unfortunately, the was a huge swale between us and the hole, and my eagle putt lipped out, but we were able to tap in for birdie. It was pretty cool, especially because one of my partners was my old high school coach, who I hadn't seen in about three years.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm a beginner, but I will mention it anyway:

I was playing a 300yd par 4 and hit my first shot down the right side of the fairway. My 2nd shot was from about 100yds out (yeah, I'm that short on drives), and I nailed it within 4 feet with a 9i. Pretty good I'd say for having just started up a month ago.

Wednesday I had a chip in for bird on the first hole which was cool but the best shot was a 53 degree wedge over a tree and bunker to a pin tucked right behind it from 109 yards from the next holes fairway and stuck it inside 5 feet. couldn't really see the pin because of the tree but it's the course 4 mins away from my house and they usually put the pin there on Sunday's.

:callaway: BB Alpha 815 DBD 10.5* Rogue Silver 60 :callaway: x2hot 3deep 14.5* (TBD) :tmade: RSI UDI 20* RIP Tour 90 :bridgestone: J40CB 4-PW Steelfiber i95 :vokey: SM4 50* KBS Tour V :vokey: SM5 54* KBS 610 :vokey: SM5 58* KBS HI-REV 2.0 MannKrafted Handmade Custom

Last Sunday, played with my son. A relatively short par 4 that doglegs right. Hit a good drive, but straight, through the dogleg and into a fairway bunker. Had 119 to the flag, hit a pitching wedge that ended up inside 3 feet for birdie. Pretty lucky shot for me, but I'll take it!

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

• Administrator

Best ball tournament on Friday with Dave. We were getting lip-outs (including a brutal one on the first hole of the day - seemed to set the tone for the day) everywhere.

Came to the 16th which was set up as drivable if you felt like carrying the ball 255 uphill into the breeze when it was 55 degrees outside. Dave tried and came up short, so I bunted a driver out to the right. The green has a bowl shape but since I played there a few weeks ago I know the bowl threw everything to the left. I picked a spot about ten feet right of the hole on the back edge of the bowl. 77 yards to the flag, 85 to the back of the ridge. I hit my spot just about exactly and watched as the ball began rolling down the edge. It held its line, held its line, then whacked the stick. It seemed to lip out about four times before finally rolling to a spot two feet below the hole.

Typical. Another lip-out... :-P Oh well.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My best shot of the week was actually two shots. Friday a friend called and we played 9 holes around noon. Hole #1 I chip in from in front of the green for par...later that evening I go golfing with another friend. Almost the exact same senario except I'm on off the back of the green on the side of a mound. I chip that one in on Hole #1, once again for par. Two chips ins on the same hole for par in the same day. If only I could actually get off to a decent start for once and have one of those for birdie instead of having to get up and down for bogey or chip in for par.

Career Bests:

9 Holes--37 @ The Fairways at Arrowhead-Front(+2)

18 Holes--80 @ Carroll Meadows Golf Course(+9)

Home Course:

1) The Fairways at Arrowhead

2) Mayfair Country Club

My best shot of the week was a chip in from 10 yards off the front of the green...for bogey. It was a par four, and I hit my tee shot out bounds to the right, just got way ahead of myself on the swing, and knew it was going to happen as soon as I made contact.  I caught my fourth shot fat and ended up short of the green. I've been working on a chip and run with my 8 iron, and this was the perfect hole to put it to the test as the lead up to the green was nearly flat except a slight right to left undulation leading up to the hole.  I played the chip perfectly, had it rolling quite nicely up to the break, and it snuck right down into the hole..again, to save bogey. It was pretty cool to be able to implement something I have been working on into an actual round...and have it work! I'm pretty stoked about it to say the least.

The War Sticks:

Driver: Adams Speedline F11 9.5* w/ Aldila Voodoo stiff flex shaft

3Wood: Adams Speedline Fast 10 15*

Hybrid: Ping G10 22* 

Irons:Mizuno MP32's 3-PW (bought used for $189)

Wedges: Cleveland CG14 52*, 56*

Putter: An old Ram Laser...lol...but it works

Ball: Srixon Q-star

My best shot of the week would be my seccond shot on a par 4 that curves to the left with trees on the left. I duck hooked my 4-iron (somehow) into the trees, and after looking for it for a while in the trees i found it in the fairway. my seccond shot was up a hill about 20-30ft and 155yds to pin, hit my pitching wedge to about 5 ft from pin, then made an easy birdie.

Another good shot i had that i just found cool. straight par 4, only 311 yards, i drove the ball dead straight about 5yds from green. on the same day =) shot a 77 that day.

After a bad tee shot it does not mean the hole is over, it means you have an opportunity to show what you are made of!

Short par 4. Hit an iron off the tee. Had a 9i from about 140. Back left pin. Stuck it to 3ft and hammered home the putt for birdie!

Career Bests:

9 Holes--37 @ The Fairways at Arrowhead-Front(+2)

18 Holes--80 @ Carroll Meadows Golf Course(+9)

Home Course:

1) The Fairways at Arrowhead

2) Mayfair Country Club

My best shot (well, my best shot was also my best hole in several days of a bad slump!) came on Tuesday (9/20/11). We played Deer Pass Golf Course in Seville, OH. I believe it is hole... 6? It's a Par 4, 286 yards to the center of the green and very reachable depending on conditions (and obviously the golfer). We had no wind that would affect the ball negatively, with occasional tail breezes. The trick to the hole is that you have around 40 yards of width to land your ball between 2 lakes. The water starts evenly on both sides around 220 yards out. My partners laid up with 3 woods and set us around 200 dead-center fairway with a clear shot to the hole and encouraged me to go for it. I hit the best drive of the day on this hole and pulled it a little just over the water's edge on the left-hand side and then lost sight of the ball (I have an extremely high ball flight). We drive out with no ball in sight near the green at first, only to see a shiny Srixon AD333 with my initials on it right on the edge of the green! My partners were pumped up and laughing when they saw how far this drive carried in the air. They get up to the approach shot which required a chip due to the green's layout and ball position. One guy bladed it across and the other caught the grass and chipped 2 feet. I chipped up and left a 1 foot birdie putt and proceeded to knock that down as well and we took a skin out of it. My drives were dead on that day, but holy hell were my putts/chips AWFUL! I have been in such a slump for weeks now that it's just mentally draining. Complete mind F!