IGNORED

Best Shot of the Week

iacas

Hit one in from about 55yds today for eagle on a par 5!!!  Just a mid-flight scooter that hit once, bit hard, and fell in.  Very fun indeed!!

Driver:       Titleist 909D3  (8.5°)
3-Wood:     Titleist 909F3  (13°)
Hybrid:       Titleist 909h  (17°)
3-PW:         Mizuno MP-68 with PROJECT X 6.0
Wedges:     Titleist SM4's  (52°-58°-62°)
Putter:        Scotty Cameron Studio Select 1.5
Ball:            Titleist Pro V1x
Range:        Bushnell Pinseeker PRO 1600
Bag:            PING Hoofer stand bag

I played a local public course a couple days ago, Kayak Point.   Had a pretty good round going and on the 13th hole hit a very mediocre 2nd shot that landed in the front bunker and it turned out to be a fried egg lie.  Definitely what you don;'t want on that hole because the pin was in front and the ball is going to roll down the slope from there.  I have ruined some pretty nice rounds from bunkers and my bunker play has been inconsistent for some time so I was sweating that shot quite a bit..  Thankfully remembered to keep the club face a little closed and was able to dig it out good with the Vokey 60 SM4 wedge.  The ball came out low but cleared the bunker by a couple feet and hit in the rough and rolled down the slope about 20-25 feet past the pin, about as good as you can do from there with that pin location..  Got out of there with a bogey  and went on to finish with a 78, one of my best scores on that course (white tees).

Driver: Taylor Made  Rocketballz Stage 2
3 wood: Rocketballz Stage 2
4 wood: Rocketballz Stage 2
Hybrids: Cleveland 20 and 23.5 degree
Irons: Mizuno MP57 5-7, Mizuno MP62 8-9 Wedges: Mizuno MP62 Pitching Wedge, 49 degree,  Titleist Vokey SM4  55.13 (bent from 56.14) Sand Wedge, Titleist Vokey SM4 60.10 Lob wedge

My 3 best consecutive shots of the week came on WED:

500yd par 5...........After a decent drive in the fairway, I had 217 to the pin.  This is the view to the green from a similar yardage from the right rough perspective. (old pic) Trees protect wayward shots left and right.......and a forced carry over a huge ditch ensures the need to carry the ball nearly to the green in the air.  Anything caught thin without adequate carry.....kiss your ball goodbye forever.

041.jpg

Anyway....I hit the fairway WED.....3 rescue club to 8-10ft.....DRAINO~!! My 4th eagle of 2012 is in the books!!!   .....I CAN DIG IT!!

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I was 180 out on a par5 today at tobacco road but, I was behind a tree.  It was one of those were I should lay up but, I thought its a par5 I have to go for it.   I hit a huge hook like bubba watson type hook to 6 feet.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3
3 wood: 15 Callaway X Hot pro
Hybrids:  18 Callaway X Hot Pro
Irons: 4-GW Callaway Apex
project x 6.0
Wedges: 54 , 58 Callaway
Putter: 2 ball
Ball: Callaway Chrome

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Par 5 hit my drive a 1ft OB, walked back to the tee and clattered one centre of the fairway, 240 to go i stuck my 3 iron to 4ft  andputted for eagle net par as i was 3 off the tee,....saved my round :D

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

Hit a hybrid 210 yards out of the rough to 15 feet on the last, then sank a left-to-right birdie putt with two feet of break to win by one point.

Better ball tournament and I pretty much sucked the other 17 holes. But, hey, that's what everyone remembers!

• Upvote 1

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I played this course for the first time in months. They have decided to let the rough grow out, a lot. Anyways, I drove into the long grass, 3 to 4 feet of it. I was happy enough to find my ball let alone have a shot at the green. I clubbed up on the shot and it flew great out of it. I got it to stick on the green and went on the four putt, but at least that shot was nice,.

In my bag:

Nike Mach Speed Black

Nike Dymo 3 wood

TaylorMade Burner 3 hybrid

Mizuno MP-53 PW-3

TaylorMade RAC 52, 56, 60

Odyssey Black Series Tour Design

My 5th eagle of 2012 is in the books

18th hole par5:

1. tee shot in the fairway bunker...........2. nice layup from the sand.........3.112yds to the pin for a 3rd shot...........holed from the fairway!!!!

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Played with my new clubs for the first time yesterday, a set of cobbra s3 max.  Anyways i got to this par four, and sliced my ball off the tee, hitting it into the opposite fairway. I attempted to get back on the right fairway but hit a tree and ended up in the rough.  At this point i was about 190-200 yards from the hole.  The ball was about 6 inches above my feet.  I hit my 4 iron, and carried up on to the green about 5-6 yards from the hole to help save par.  For me, this was a great shot :D

Yesterday I hit what, (to this point) was the shot of my life; I was playing an early morning round at my local course and the third hole is a short but difficult par 4 up hill the whole way so the green is elevated.  Had a nice straight drive and was 148 yards out.  I hit my second shot and was straight but a little left.  When I got up to the green I couldn't find my ball...thinking for sure it was going to be on the green I looked and looked and nothing.  I was alone so I just decided to putt from the fringe for the practice....when I walked over to pull the pin....there at the bottom of the hole was the most beautiful ball I had ever seen...mine!  I've put them in before from a chip and from the fringe etc...but this was the first time I've ever sank one from that kind of distance...and the eagle was only the 3rd of my life.....but of course...it was 6:30 am and not a soul on the course and all my buddies called me full of it when i told them...but I know and that is all that matters.

I was walking the back nine alone, behind two guys in a cart. I was taking my time but still catching up on every shot---these guys were standing over the ball, taking practice stroke after practice stroke, finally addressing it, then starting the backswing, not liking something, stepping off, going through it again, then duffing it 30 yards. On a 510 yard par 5, I blasted (by my standards) a drive out to a perfect spot about a foot and a half off the right side of the fairway, sitting up, maybe 4 inches above my feet. Great spot, but it's a long hole---about 280 left. As I approach, I see there's a little ravine/depression about 110 yards out and a fairway approach area just past it with a corner. The guy ahead is in the rough short of there, doing his slow preparations, so I hang around and check my yardage, etc, passing the time.

Finally he clears, and I decide that the little corner of that landing area is the perfect aim point. I've been tending to either flush or pull-draw my irons, so this gives me a safe landing area even if I get a tiny slice, and odds are I'll be ok. Only concern is I don't know the distance. I'd have wanted to go with my hybrid to be sure I get over the ravine, but that club has been acting up lately so I decide I'll go with my 4I. That one hasn't been performing well on distance, but it's always straight or straight-pull, so it's safer than the hybrid which has been known to go really bad.

Anyway, I completely flushed that 4I and it just carried and rose like I've never seen a mid-long iron fly for me before. It landed just past where the guy ahead had been standing (he'd cleared out to the green so it wasn't endangering anyone) and bounced up into the exact spot in the corner of the landing area where I was targeting. It was maybe the first time I've hit a ball to the exact spot I was aming, at least excluding wedge shots and chips. Fortunately I had the presence of mind to measure it with the GPS---it was 190 yards on level ground with no appreciable wind. Not bad for a club that I wink and call my 170 yard club, knowing I only ever get 160 out of it when it rolls. It was a thing of beauty.

Sadly, my newfound distance bit me on the next shot, as my gentle PW went over the green... think I wound up with a bogey, but it was a beauty of a bogey.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

I was playing 18 at a local course and on the eleventh hole par 4 355 yards I drove it to the one hundred marker. I pulled out my rangefinder and ranged a slope on the back at 123 and the pin was between the center and that hill. so it was playing about 120 with the wind knocking it down but back to 110 with what I thought was a flyer lie. took a SW hit dead straight at the hole turned slightly left ended hole high with about a 7 foot putt that I lipped out on and got par

Not just one shot but 3 in a row. Love putting a hole together perfectly. 370 yard par 4. Very open. I usually would hit hybrid or 3 wood but decided driver this time. Slight back wind and out one out there at 270. Which is far for me (usually 240). I actually ran out of fairway so I was 100 out in slight rough. Stuck a knock down gap wedge to 3 feet and had easy putt for birdie. Those holes make you feel good.

On #4 yesterday, and I pushed my driver into the trees on the right.  It hit a tree and bounced out into the fairway, but painfully short.  Still 210 yards out and 2 trees blocking a low shot into the green.  I pulled 7 Wood and somehow cleared the trees and ended up 4 ft short of the green.  Pulled my SW and chipped in for birdie and won $8 on the hole.  It's a good thing, because I played like crap the rest of the day, only winning one hole from there and came out even in the money at the end.

This was just an ordinary flop shot...landed fine. Just read and it will be kind of funny/cool. I opened the club face, swing watched the ball land, and just as I was about to start walking, the divot landed right on my shoulder and stayed there without me even moving. That divot had to be in the air for at least 3 seconds haha. I just found that to be cool

My friend lives on a course in my town. I've been playing the hole near his house later in the day using just one club, today was the six iron. Well its a par four and I shot a 6, even putted with my 6i lol. Well on the walk back, I shot a ball back down the fairway in the opposite direction out of the medium rough off to the side of the green. I thought to myself hit this one hard, and bamb 225 yards. I know exactly where I shot it from, and I know exactly where it landed, measured it on Google earth lol. Well that's my great shot.

6 iron 225 yards

Sincerely, Jim

I had a few good recovery shots, but the best shot had to have been a recovery pitch on the par-3 5th. The left of the green is lined with trees and, as usual, I pulled my shot into them. I had no good look anywhere. I could chip left along the tree line and give myself a half-decent chip onto the green from 25 feet, or I could chip straight and get back into the "fairway" about 40 feet from the green. Or I could pitch between two trees that stood about 15 feet in front of me. They started together at the bottom and gradually separated. At about 10 feet high they were maybe two feet apart, at 20 feet high they were about four feet apart. It was definitely a risky shot, but I decided to go for it. It was probably the most likely way to save bogey. I took my gap wedge and took care lining up my pitch. I took a few practice swings to ensure I was on line with the target. Then I hit it. Dead between the trees, perfect height, perfect line. Unfortunately, the branches were low hanging so any ball that got high would get knocked down. And mine did. It was knocked down just a couple feet before the green. But a decent chip on and I putted to save bogey. I don't usually go for the risky shots, and I wasn't even hitting the ball well that day so I didn't have the excuse of "feeling in the groove", but I saw that opening and I knew that I could do it, and for some reason I really wanted to. Maybe following Phil at the Byron last week effected me. :-P

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

A 165 yard par 3, put my tee shot in a green side bunker right of the green. Not a lot of room to work with, and water on the other side of the hole made the shot tougher. Hit the best green side bunker shot I've ever hit, came out high and soft and rolled out to a couple inches of the hole. I've traditionally played poorly out of bunkers, so this was really satisfying.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5