IGNORED

Best Shot of the Week

iacas

One of the best ever holes Ive EVER played I reckon..my clubs 17th SI2 par 4 hole.

My tee shot was a gentle draw of around 240 yards but just off the fairway in the first cut. For the second shot I had a good tail wind and the GPS was showing 207 yards to the green with the pin set in the very back part of it which is well protected by deep sand bunkers! On the left in front of me is water and out of bounds forest while immediately in front of the green is two very deep bunkers that has a mossy/grass mixture that is very deep while behind the green is very little room if you over shoot!

Anyway, I pulled out my 5 iron for my second shot which was probably the most pure iron shot Ive ever struck! The ball flew straight as an arrow, got a good bounce on to the green and the ball came to rest about 5 yards from the pin but just off the green, up hill though with the green tapering away to my left!

The put was aimed about a foot outside the right hand edge of the hole and the ball took a gentle arc from right to left and straight in to the hole for my first ever competition birdie on this hole :)

So really it was a hole of three of the best shots Ive ever struck, all combining nicely together at the right time :)

Regards

Mailman

Mailman

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Golf pictures, anyone?Β Β  it's been awhile and I think I am due!

Stone Canyon:Β  14th hole: ***(I need to update this old 2013 cloudy day pic!)***

204yds to a back-right pin. Missing right or long is very bad.......anything to the right kicks into a deep ravine unless you are lucky to catch a bunker.Β  A short duff falls into a ravine too.Β  There is a steep hillsideΒ left of the green, but the photo doesn't show it well. The green is diagonal, so matching distance with the correctΒ line is a must!!Β  Many holes on this Greg Norman course are like this...The above pic is old...the pin last weekend was back, but more to the right...almost kissing the back/right bunker!!

The green is very slopey so putting is always a challenge.

This pin sets up nicely for my lefty/draw...... I used a 4-rescue andΒ ball landed about 15 feet short and released to the hole. I was left with aΒ steep downhill 4' putt with about 1' of break.......luckily...I made the putt!!!! LOL

the pitch mark...^

I thought I might have an ace because I hit a draw and a left to right sloping green.Β  The ball was tracking, but the green slopes back to the left in the back and the ball broke to the left of the cup at the end...LOL

Our greens were aerated about 4 weeks ago....the super has been double cutting and rolling.....they aren't 100% yet, but they're getting nice!!Β  You can see in the above pic that a big falloffΒ greets everyΒ ball rolling off this green.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big BerthaΒ Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
-Β CallawayΒ Big BerthaΒ 4-5 Rescue Clubs
--Β Mizuno Mx-25 sixΒ iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I have one more good Jekyll and Hyde story from this week......

The 15th Hole is a 572yd par5 that requires players to thread the needle and to crossΒ a ravine.Β  This is theΒ view from behind the green........

AΒ long narrow green hangs on the precipice of disaster.Β Β Β  The large runoff into the chipping area on the "safe side" is no bargain either because you are chipping uphill to a down-sloping green.Β  I hit two mighty shots and was playing my third from near where the guy in the black shirt was playing to a similar middle-pin.Β Β Β Β I'm licking my chops...thinking I will chip it in for eagle!!..or at least chip it close!! hahaha..............

I'm a lefty, and shanked it dead left into a bunker fronting the green near the hazard.Β  The bunker saved me from going in...........Β Β Β  So what do I do?Β Β I blast the ball 25 yards to 2 feet and tap in for par...LOL

Unfortunately,Β  my 2nd best shot of the week follows a SHANK!Β Β  This is my game at the moment.

What's in Paul's Bag:

I have one more good Jekyll and Hyde story from this week......

The 15th Hole is a 572yd par5 that requires players to thread the needle and to crossΒ a ravine.Β  This is theΒ view from behind the green........

AΒ long narrow green hangs on the precipice of disaster.Β Β Β  The large runoff into the chipping area on the "safe side" Β is no bargain either because you are chipping uphill to a down-sloping green.Β  I hit two mighty shots and was playing my third from near where the guy in the black shirt was playing to a similar middle-pin.Β Β Β Β I'm licking my chops...thinking I will chip it in for eagle!!..or at least chip it close!! hahaha..............

I'm a lefty, and shanked it dead left into a bunker fronting the green near the hazard.Β  The bunker saved me from going in...........Β Β Β  So what do I do?Β Β I blast the ball 25 yards to 2 feet and tap in for par...LOL

Unfortunately,Β  my 2nd best shot of the week follows a SHANK!Β Β  This is my game at the moment.

This is how my game is at the moment. I would just get on the practice green and do some chipping. Maybe film it and put it on here for us to watch

I would just get on the practice green and do some chipping. Maybe film it and put it on here for us to watch

Screw that.......practice sounds like work!Β Β Β  I just "PLAY". I'm not inΒ the least bit interested in a critique or lessons, etc, etc. etc...I bring the game "I got" for better or for worse.

I know the downside of this, but this is who I am as a golfer.Β Β  Every moment I dedicate to the game is by playing.Β Β  I haven't hit a bucket of balls since 1995.Β  I may chip or putt a few before a round, but that's not even the norm.Β  I just go play, and I do play a lot of golf.Β I have both unlimited golf and range privileges......given a choice, I choose the course every time!!!

I'mΒ definitely in a minority ofΒ low'ish HC players that neverΒ practice.Β  Practice is not an option...the thought of this makes me ill :no:

What's in Paul's Bag:

Screw that.......practice sounds like work!Β Β Β  I just "PLAY".Β Β  I'm not inΒ the least bit interested in a critique or lessons, etc, etc. etc...I bring the game "I got" for better or for worse.

I know the downside of this, but this is who I am as a golfer.Β Β  Every moment I dedicate to the game is by playing.Β Β  I haven't hit a bucket of balls since 1995.Β  I may chip or putt a few before a round, but that's not even the norm.Β  I just go play, and I do play a lot of golf.Β I have both unlimited golf and range privileges......given a choice, I choose the course every time!!!

I'mΒ definitely in a minority ofΒ low'ish HC players that neverΒ practice.Β  Practice is not an option...the thought of this makes me ill

Practice is just my advice. I love playing more than I think I should practice. I am almost never at the driving range or putting green. I like to work my kinks out on the course :-)

I can relate....

If I practiced anything, it would be 100% short game.........Β  greenside chipping/pitching,Β puttingΒ & bunker play.Β  I practice theΒ long shotsΒ by playing regularly, but there is no substitute for spending a few hours working from the sand and on short game shots around the green.Β  My bunker play is helter skelter........ IΒ can play them likeΒ a pro sometimes, and like a village idiot on others.Β Β  Like Forrest Gump said...my sand play is like a box of chocolates..LOL My SS% is about 30%....I know it could be better, but I don't want to practice.

I just refuse to do it. Β If I have time for golf, I'm teeing it up on the "BIG COURSE".....no buckets for this guy!

If I played golf for a living, I would practice, but I don't.Β  I play one ofΒ most challengingΒ public courses inΒ my state as a home course.........that's enough for me.Β  I get beat up every time I tee it up, and I keep coming back for more.......

What's in Paul's Bag:

I played poorly on Saturday and skipped golf on mothers day, butΒ I do have one great par save story from Saturday.....

The 10th hole is a 556yd par5 that plays through natural forest. Hit it in....and it's not playable!Β  There are prickers, poison plants, Β and thornyΒ vines everywhere.....The hole doglegs to the right 300yds+ from the tee so a miss to the right means your layup is severely compromised..Β Β Even fro the right rough, a layupΒ may beΒ severely compromised.Β  My tee shot goesΒ barely goes into theΒ forest on the right and it's not playable.Β Β  I take my drop....I have no line andΒ can't advance it too far, but I am able to chop it forward back into play.Β  I laser to the pin...I have 238yds left for my 4th shot through a narrow alley.......

I hit a majestic 3-wood into the heart of the green but it rolls over and down a tightly mown embankment off the back.Β  I have an uphill pitch to a downslope with just enough green to work with...(about 12-14')Β Β  I nip it perfectly...the ball flies to the green....hops...bites....and trickles into the jar like a putt.Β Β Β  This is most definitely my best par save in 2014!!!Β  Fun stuff!!

What's in Paul's Bag:

546 yard par 5 on Friday.. Driver on tee, pushed my drive but it hit some hard ground and kept running. Total drive was about 300 yards even though I wasn't on the fairway and was almost OB I still had a view of the hole. Hit my hybrid clean to about 30 yards of the hole. Bump and run 8 iron and it lipped out! Tap in for the birdie :)

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Competition day yesterday.

I played against a 5 hdc.

Was striking the ball very well all day.

came to the 16th 2up 3 to play.

16th is a par 3 197 yards bunkers left front and right next to the green.

Some serious wind in the face. Hit my JPX hybrid to about 2 feet to close the deal.

This being the last competition day, we became champions also.

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g.Β 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

Hit my brand new LD driver (6 degree, 49.5") straight twice in succession. Went straight to the 19th hole!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Played twice this weekend.

Lots of great shots, but this one was something I've been meaning to train on - so since it's not a shot I've attempted before.....

Friday on 18 (600 yard par 5) - approach shot was 100 yards from the stick (Huge and straight driver, but the 3w faded off just enough to slide between a couple edge-of-fairway-trees.Β  I had a straight line, but unfortunately I was under an overhang and couldn't just hit my wedge like I would from the fairway.Β  Decided to start trying my 50% shots - they've been going fine, but sometime hard to get a clean contact.

8i, half swing, floated right up to the green, straight as can be, hit short of the pin and rolled past quite a bit.Β  Left me a nice regulation par to end the day on a very difficult course.

I'll be playing a lot more with these half shots from 100 to 150 or so.....Seems like they have a lot of potential and accuracy.

Bill -Β 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This wasn't my best shot of the week, but I felt the urge to take a golf pic today.Β  This is the 8th green at Stone Canyon....it's an easy par4 with aΒ challenging tee shot.Β Β  If you can negotiate your way to the fairway and avoid the hazards, a wedge shot to the green offers a birdie opportunity.Β  Luckily...I did make the birdie putt.Β  I had 111yds....51 degree gap wedge to where the ball sits.Β  To be honest, I was marveling at the great condition of the greens, but the bad lightΒ conditions at the moment of the pic made itΒ difficult to capture the green surface photographically.Β  Β Our greens are in absolute MINT conditionright now....and I'm loving it!

The white specs on the greens are from the cottonwood trees.............it's actually quite pretty, and doesn't effect the putting.Β Β Β  Just an observation...Β  This cottonwood fluff is floating all around the course....does this effect allergy sufferers?Β Β  Luckily...I don't have allergies!!!!Β  Just saying.....(because I love to be ON the golf course!)Β  The season when the cottonwood trees are in bloom brings back fond childhood memories for me..........

What's in Paul's Bag:

Best shot of the week was a on a par 5 first shot out of bounds off the tee. Second middle of the fairway then put a 3 iron to 4ft away from the pin and made the par putt. Ended up playing two under my handicap and got cut 1.2 shots as the par went up for the day.

I was playing a short 495yd par 5 and smother hookedΒ my tee shot short but at least it stayedΒ in the fairway.Β  I had 243yds to the pin and hit 3-wood to about 6ft........unfortunately I missed the putt!!Β  ARRRGG......

What's in Paul's Bag:

I hit a 90 56 degree wedge yesterday that I held off on a bit to control the distance to a front hole location on an easy Par 5 (had to lay up after a flared drive into rough and tree trouble). Β The ball hit the fairway about three yards short of the green, bounced once, then sucked back about a foot on the second bounce on the green. Β A guy who was paired with us (and a solid golfer) was standing near the green and audibly "wow"ed the shot. Β The green also slopes slightly front to back on that portion. Β Finished about four feet from the hole.

I really enjoyed that shot because as a low ball hitter it's fun to get some spin, and normally the fairway and/or fringe tends to kill the spin quite a bit. Β I mean, I'm right about that, right?

Anyway, I 180ed the putt and made par. Β Damnit.

"Witty golf quote."

Best shot of the week was a on a par 5 first shot out of bounds off the tee. Second middle of the fairway then put a 3 iron to 4ft away from the pin and made the par putt. Ended up playing two under my handicap and got cut 1.2 shots as the par went up for the day.

Nice. Β I'm thrilled to make bogey after an OB shot. Β Makes me feel like some sports writer would write about my mental toughness. Β But par is rare for anyone on Earth.

"Witty golf quote."

Played great so far off the tee, then I reached the 6th tee (par 5). I realized my set up was off, but instead of backing off and fixing it, I went ahead with the wrong set up thinking I could save it. WRONG! High banana slice with a 3 wood. :-( Found the ball, and took my penalty drop. Hit a solid 3 hybrid that stayed in the right rough at 135 yds to the hole. The pin was tucked on the right side, in the smallest area of the green right behind a bunker. Went with a PW and dropped it inside 4ft, made that for par. Never made par with a penalty before, so I was pretty psyched.

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5