IGNORED

Best Shot of the Week

iacas

Back at my alma mater (18 years since graduation) playing a fun afternoon nine with my old golf team buddies. We see each other once a year at this event. I block my 3-wood into the right trees, and rather than try to hit the impossible shot at the green, I punch it into the fairway (that would never have happened when I was 20). I proceeded to hit a towering sand wedge from about 105 right at it. One bounce short of the hole, second bounce after the hole, spins back in for a birdie. Reliving youth!

Hole #8 and hole #15, River Forest CC, Freeport, PA

Two bunker shots that finished two inches and 18 inches from the pins.

The irony here is that I have experienced succes over the years on these two holes. I eagled #15 (par 4) with a wedge and had my hole-in-one on #8 in 2006.

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

8 iron 150, missed birdie.

Same round. Kind of brutal to miss 2 birds from 3 ft in on the same 9 lol.

Don't be so hard on yourself - that second one looks to be at least 4 feet. :smartass:

No photo, but my best shot over 2 rounds last Thursday and Friday was one that a lot of players on this forum would never have attempted.  Now the (short) story:  I hit a great drive on the par 5 11th hole on Friday - my best drive all week - about 250 yards, which is outstanding for me these days.  Unfortunately, when I get to the ball it's lying in a divot hole.  I said one bad word, then took a deep breath, pulled my new (about 3½ weeks old) Aero-Burner 5W and pured it 230 yards it to just 10 feet short of the green.

Those players who refuse to hit from a divot hole will never know the incredibly good feeling that you get from playing a shot like that - one of the great moments in the game for those of us who prefer playing the ball as it lies.

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Greenside grass bunker, steep face, up against it.   Ball about 60 ft away from pin.

Problem was the ground is hard, not much grass (muni course) & ball found a slight depression & directly behind ball there was a small "hump" of bare hard ground, which prevented me from using any bounce at all.

Had to come in steep & hit the back of the ball cleanly, with a lot of shaft lean to pinch it perfectly & take bounce out of it.

Due to unfortunate lie, had to pick my most lofted wedge (64°) and delofted it to catch ball without hitting the dirt mound behind it ... came out nice, high & rolled out to 4 ft.   May have been my best shot of year due to degree of difficulty...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Competition on Saturday at my club, shotgun start and we're out on the 17th which is a tricky par 3.  Birdies on there are near impossible even if you hit a pin seeker.

I'm a 28 handicap so hitting greens on par 3 is very good for me.  I watched the 13 and 20 handicap players I was playing with both missed the green, I stepped up and middled my first tee shot on to the green.

I've been going through the early round shanks were my first few iron shots in a round can be a bit nervous and not very good.  This was my best shot as I completely blocked it out and hit the green.  Very rewarding!

The drive on hole # 5 at Beavercreek.

Aimed right at this pin tree through the fairway. Hit a 3-wood that started at the right edge of the tree and curved just to the left edge of the tree.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I was playing a 9 hole course on Saturday which has 2 par fives running next to each other with a creek cutting them both in half and a tree line dividing them. Coming back on the second I sliced my 3 wood into the other fairway just short of the creek, perfect distance but leaving me essentially blind of the green. I go 3 wood again and pure it thinking I had a good shot of at least finding it in the fairway. On the ride up I'm scanning the ground thinking I must have gone left and into the weeds since I don't see it. Then I look up onto the green and see my ball about 15ft away from the pin for the first time id ever made a par 5 in 2. I then 2 putt for birdie and leave wondering if I had just gotten an incredibly lucky bounce or if maybe I might be starting to lose my hack card as I was one over through 5 (a minor miracle for me) but back to back doubles brought be quickly back to reality.

I flew the green right and long on a par 3. It has a tough steep back side. I was off to the side and down 6 feet from the green. With a 60 degree wedge, I hit the perfect little chip to 4 feet, made the up and down. Best up and down of the season.

Ballyhack Golf Club - Roanoke VA

Ridge Tees - 6,247 71.6/145

Hole Number 11 - 322 Yd Uphill Par 4

85 Yards to Back Pin Location

Made an Eagle but didn't see it go in.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

I hit a pretty nice 3 wood fade about 270 over a ravine to a long par 5 green.....

but no.....

I have to say it was one that might not seem so great - didn't get up and down with it, didn't save par, or get a birdie or eagle or anything.....

but I pushed a tee on a par 3 to a greenside bunker -

the greens are like pavement - with gritty pea-sized crumbles all over them.  really hard to take the right amount of sand

the lie - downhill, sitting up just short of the lip but fair enough between 1 and 2 feet

the hole is SHORT!!! to my side

downhill

small green

I'm looking across the green at immediate water

everything just sucks about this shot

I hit it just right, with a little sand, and came out kind of low but with enough spin.  it landed it just in the short rough where it one bounced to the green and then rolled past about 10 feet

like I said - it wasn't holed, or even left close, but I'm not sure I (personally) could have hit it any better than I did.  was so happy I didn't let myself decelerate like I've been lately

Bill - 

2nd hole at a tougher course, 183 yard downhill par 3 with a green on top of a hill below. Hit an easy 4H that drew with the wind and landed pin high 2 feet from the hole. Easy birdie (I've never made one so early in a round)

Driver: :cobra: BiO Cell (10.5º)

Wood: :ping: G15 3 (15.5°)

Hybrids: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 3 (21º), 4 (24º)

Irons: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 5-PW

Wedges: :cleveland:588 RTX CB 50º, Paradise Black Chrome II Sand Wedge 56º

I was up in New York over the weekend visiting my brother.  On Friday we played Bethpage Black.  On Saturday we placed his club, North Hills, and on Sunday we played the back 9 at Harbor Links.

At Harbor Links #12 is a shorter par 5.  I hit a good drive leaving my 235 to the green.  Then I hit a hard fade/easy slice with my 3 wood that ended up to the right on the side of a hill.  With 90 yards left and the ball above feet, I hit a sand wedge that hit the stick.  Left me with a 4 foot putt for birdie that I drained.

10.5 deg Ping G30, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 3W, Taylor Made Rescue 3H, Ping G30 irons
Cleveland TA 900 SW, Mizuno T-Zoid LW, Odyssey DF Rossie I

http://golfshot.com/members/0622056080

Best shot this week:

170 uphill shot to a plateaued green with a 4 iron to 10 feet. Missed putt but made par.

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D