IGNORED

Best Shot of the Week

iacas

We have a few holes that require a severely uphill approach shot and also have a hill behind the green. I often go over these greens because I don't put enough spin on my middle irons, which I invariably need to carry the trouble in front. Yesterday I hit a solid 6 iron into one of the greens and I knew that It was going to end up long. I, of course, ended up with a downhill lie to a tight pin. I have had this shot many times and I have tried multiple options (putter, different wedges, etc.) but I had never tried to hit the shot with a hybrid. Figuring I had nothing to lose as none of the options I've tried in the past worked to get the ball close, I went with my 22 degree hybrid. The club went cleanly through the grass and made good contact with the ball, it came out nicely right on line and almost went in. I ended up with a three foot uphill putt for par that I knocked into the back of the cup. I had a similar shot five holes later (not so much downhill but just off the green in thick rough to a tight pin) and I again knocked the hybrid close and made the par. That shot was not as hard, but I am really pleased that I have another shot in my arsenal.

Bill M

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On Saturday, I was on the 9th hole at Palisades Country Club where we were playing a tournament.  My tee shot was pulled into the trees on the left, but it had somehow come down in play.  One of my playing competitors spotted the ball beneath a branch on the ground.  Luckily, I was able to remove that branch, but because of the tree behind my ball, I couldn't really advance it at all, so my only option was to punch out sideways.  I needed to give it enough to get it over the bunker in the middle of the fairway, but not enough so that it would run into the bunker on the right side of the fairway.  I managed to get it over the first bunker, but watched as it ran into the second one.

This left me 130 to a pin tucked in the back-right portion of the green... out of the bunker with the ball well below my feet.  I decided to take an extra club and try and hit a low running shot, aiming it at the greenside bunker on the left.  I executed the shot perfectly and watched as the ball did exactly what I wanted it to do, finishing 6 feet from the hole, allowing me to save par on a hole that I probably should have carded a double bogey on, at minimum.

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Had a few good shots this past round.  Best was probably a lob shot over some pine trees from the long rough about 35 yards from the green.  Happened to be on my home green that we live on.  Used a 60 degree wedge and swung it full speed, over the tops of the trees it went and dropped on the left hand side of the green.

Siren national, Wisconsin - amazing course.

Number 3 was a 190 hole into a very strong wind with long pin, I 'leaned' onto my 200-205 club and yanked it left.  Way left leaving it 15-20 feet above the green on the high side over on the way to the next tee box.  sigh....  kind of an intimidating shot for me.  but plenty of green to work with.

Best shot was that chip - dropped it to within 5 feet.  A very happy up and down for par for sure...

Bill - 

In the right rough off the tee behind some trees and bushes. Blind shot to green so I picked a spot I thought was the proper line to the green. About 140 yards, which is usually an 8 or easy 7 iron. Leaned into a 9 iron to clear the trees and put it 8 feet from the pin. Lipped out the birdie putt as usual.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

My best shot this week, was a putt. It was about a 15' double breaking affair, that rolled downhill, then uphill into the cup. There was a bit of luck involved to be sure. But, I also helped my own luck, because in the past I have practiced this same type of putt. The putt was a bit wide, left, but it managed to find the top edge of the hole. I always practice breaking putts to use the "pro side" of the cup. Gives me more of the hole to work with. In this case I needed every bit of that hole.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Two-way tie. On the back nine at Eagle Creek Saturday, I had a 175 yarder over a water hazard on a par 4. As a short hitter, this is a really nervous 5W for me. Some how I blocked the nerves out and hit it solid, reached the green and two-putted for par. I also dropped a long putt for another par. I think that it was a 25-footer.

Two-way tie.

On the back nine at Eagle Creek Saturday, I had a 175 yarder over a water hazard on a par 4. As a short hitter, this is a really nervous 5W for me. Some how I blocked the nerves out and hit it solid, reached the green and two-putted for par.

I also dropped a long putt for another par. I think that it was a 25-footer.

+1 on the 25 footer.  I had my daughter out with me, she is almost 10, "caddying" and I plugged a 25 footer from right before the fringe, had a slight break to it.  She said "that was the best putt ever!"  Love those.

Shawnee ... 160 yd par 3 over the river. At dusk - almost dark out & the bridge back to the club house was filled with golf carts heading in.

Pulled out the bright green LED GLOW BALL ... hit one club more than usual as the glow balls are hard as a rock & hit a sweet 5i to 4 ft. With all the golf carts on the bridge, it was like I had my own gallery & got the golf clap from everybody - LOL. Pretty funny - seems a lot of people never saw a glow ball.

I always like to keep a glow ball in the bag as I always play after work this time of year ... gets me one or two extra holes right before dark...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

So close to my first ace!

120 yard par 3. 58° wedge. 6 inches away

Holy Schmolly!!  they aerated theFK out of those greens!!    Sloppy work...IMO!!

Hell of a nice shot BTW!!  I'd hate to need to make a putt much longer than that on those surfaces!!   I think even I can make that putt though!!  haha

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Holy Schmolly!!  they aerated theFK out of those greens!!    Sloppy work...IMO!! Hell of a nice shot BTW!!  I'd hate to need to make a putt much longer than that on those surfaces!!   I think even I can make that putt though!!  haha

I played on greens like this last week but with a ton of sand. You could barely see any green. I had to make my chips count. If you were 3 feet or more away it was pure luck if you made it.

Short Par 5 about 460 slight dog leg left, with a blind second shot over a ridge/fairway bunker. Drove it about 245 with 215 to the pin. I've been playing par 5s very conservatively lately and have been scoring well (for my handicap). I just got an original AP1 5i for $6.50 on eBay (in GREAT condition) and figured I would use it to lay up. My 6i goes 160 and my 4h about 185 so I was expecting something along the lines of 175 and a nice 40 yd pitch. I absolutely crush it (kinda a flier lie in the first cut) drive up over the ridge and can't find my ball.....until I look at the green. According to GPS I hit my 5i 217 yds!!!! This club was clutch throughout the day, going straight and in the 170-180 range I needed it to be on other holes.

....2 putted for birdie btw. Still shot a 107 :(

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

127 yard par 3 with 50* wedge. So close to my first HIO.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Drove the ball a few feet short of the green on a 300 yard par 4. The pin was up front so I had 25 feet to the hole. Thought about putting, but the grass was pretty gnarly. My chip shot overhung the hole but didn't go in. I waited the 10 seconds but nope. Tap in birdie.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

a couple recovery shots on Friday stand out.

After a bad drive on a par four (left to the rough)  I had to draw a 6 iron around the corner to get anywhere near the green.  did it.

The other was 18 - I hit through the fairway on a long par 5 and had to chip off of a dirtball on a root and didn't reach the fairway - next shot required a faded 4H from medium thick 2nd cut, about 215 to reach the green (left was water so no room for error).  I left it 5 feet short of the right half of the green.

three rounds from Wed - Fri on some very high end courses (one an Arnold Palmer Design) and I just couldn't get my game going the entire time.  Still had a great time.

Bill -