IGNORED

Best Shot of the Week

iacas

My track opened on Wednesday  and even though I am again battling injury, I could not resist the allure to play... I had two memorable shots.

First one was an approach shot from 240 yards to 15 feet of the hole and the second was a very nice gap wedge to 4 feet on a two tiered green with the flag in the back right corner without much room for error.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have 1 that stands out from this week........

Uphill 414yd par4.   Conditions were cold and damp playing into the wind....  I hit a horrible drive, but was fortunate enough to find the fairway.   I had 191 to a back pin and hit a majestic 4-rescue that flew as high and straight as you can point directly at the pin.   The green is steep in the back and I the ball came to rest about 4-5 feet above the pin.   didn't matter......DRAINO...made the putt.   All set up by a good drive...LOL

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I'm not very long but yesterday I hit a real solid drive on one of our par 5's and, with the second shot being aided by some serious wind, I was excited about having a rare shot at hitting a par 5 in two. I hit it pretty good, but it faded a bit to the right and ended up pin high, short sided with a bunker between me and a tight pin. The lie was decent so I decide to Phil Mickelson it, opening my 58 degree as much as I could and took a big, smooth swing (scary, since there was a hazard on the other side of the green). The ball floated way high in the air, landed just beyond the bunker and trickled down toward the hole and stopped a foot short. Fun birdie.

I had the confidence to do it because I have been really practicing my short game. It is showing in my scores.

Bill M

27 minutes ago, BuckeyeNut said:

I have 1 that stands out from this week........

I hit a horrible drive, ...made the putt.   All set up by a good drive...LOL

So which was it ---- a horrible drive or a good drive?

I'm not a long hitter. My good drives go about 220 yds. But on the 450 yd par five 7th (from the whites), I hit a 247 yd. drive and then knocked my ball onto the front of the green on my second shot with my 3 hybrid. It's a shame that I four putted the hole :-(

I played a two-day tournament this weekend. Although I didn't play overly well (94 - 91 = 185)... I did have some good shots here and there. 

The last hole I played is a shortish dogleg to the left. A shot of about 200 yards will get you to the 150 marker with a clear shot to the green. 

I was trying to be aggressive and take on the corner with a 3 wood to leave myself a wedge. I hit the shot I wanted, but it nipped the tree on the corner and dropped dow . 

I was left with 130 in but the tree was in front of me. I don't have a draw, and especially not one that could have taken on the tree. The only shot I had was a fade that would have to start low enough to get under the branches and then climb over the trees about 80 yards up... all while cutting to a pin tucked on the left side of the green. 

I literally talked my cart partner through the shot I was going to play so if I missed, he'd know where I was starting it... and then I executed it to perfection. The ball landed 4 feet from the pin and spun a bit right... and I was able to end the tournament with a birdie. 

It was certainly a satisfying shot to finish with!

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

First person off on a cold Sunday morning.  36 degrees slight breeze. 2nd hole is par 5 uphill 520 yards. Drive pulled left onto tree line of 3rd fairway. No direct line to green so hit 3 wood up 3rd fairway towards green. My 3rd shot left 188 yards into a breeze with trees still blocking green. Played 5 Wood with 30 yard fade onto green 15 feet from cup.

Not a special shot per se, but the situation made it somewhat special. I was gambling with a buddy (matchplay), we were going to the final hole all square. I only hit one green so far (we only played 9 holes that day) and that was a short par 5 where I just had to chip it onto the green. My ball striking was rather poor all day, but I made some great saves.

Anyway, my drive at the final hole was not great either, but it was on the fairway. He hit his approach first, probably 15 feet to the hole. Then it was my turn. 140yd or so. Slightly choked down 9iron for me, perfect strike, 3 feet to the hole. He made par, I made birdie and won the match

• Upvote 1

Can't remember if we have one of these already or not. Didn't find it in search.

What was your best shot of the day?  Mine was the 30 foot downhill putt I drained for my first birdie since starting golf. I have had several realistic attempts and missed one on a par 3 Friday by millimeters but today's happened on Northdale Golf Course par 4 14th hole from the white tees. Played 5 wood and hit it a bit fat but rolled out. 175 from the pin I played my 5 hybrid and it bounced before the green and rolled all the way uphill to the back. Was not even thinking of a birdie opportunity really when I putted and watched it. About halfway I could tell it was tracking and speed looked good, so it had a chance I thought. Right at the end it slowed down and plopped in the cup. Finally got that monkey off my back. 

Edited by Gator Hazard
  • Upvote 1

Holed a ball from 115 yds out using my PW today - SWEET!!!!!! :banana:

Edited by 9wood
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, 9wood said:

Holed a ball from 115 yds out using my PW today - SWEET!!!!!! :banana:

Those always feel great!  Makes the whole round a success!

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I left myself short on a par three, about 30 yards up hill. I was having a good round so I needed to try to pull off a par. My pitch is a little too long but my accuracy is excellent. I hit the stick dead on about a 1/3 of the way up and the ball sits down 10 inches from the hole.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

235 yard hybrid shot to about 6 feet to a par 5. The ball was slightly above my feet in the fairway.

Strokes Gained: +1.05 :-D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

My best shot of the week was a shot that I've hit before just executed it much better this time. We have a 90 degree dogleg left par 4 where there's a good sized tree line hiding the fairway to the green. Its about 220 to carry if you aim to cut it off right at the corner and I've got a spot picked out where I aim my driver about 30-40 yards left which is about a 250 carry to make it over the trees comfortably. On this day we had a decent breeze going from right to left and I figured I could use that to carry my ball closer to the hole as I hit driver with a slight draw anyway. I aimed about as far towards the hole as I felt comfortable and pured it exactly like I wanted a nice high fade that once it hit its apex it really started to turn. I saw where it disappeared over the tree line and I knew it would be good. I used my GPS app to track the shot and I had put it just 30 yards short of the green had actually hit it 5 feet past the fairway into some light rough but for a total of 285 yards about where my drives top out at. I chipped on and 2 putted for par.

Faded a drive right onto a tucked in green on a Par 4 (about 260 into the wind).

It was a lark, the risk vs reward was clearly screaming for a hybrid layup.  But the shot looked fun and went off exactly as planned.

2 putt birdies are very nice indeed (yes, I did NOT leave the eagle putt short, I just missed it, tricky putt).

Bill - 

The "new wedge" strikes again, today.

40 yards out for my third eagle this season on the same par 5.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

My golf game is slowly, but surely showing signs of life!!!!!!!!   The 11th hole is a dogleg 365yd par4.   The hole was playing into the breeze so I played the conservative "long route" but still challenged the corner a tad bit more than I wanted.   I had 78yds to the pin...... then flipped a little 56deg wedge at the flag....it hopped just short, skipped into the flag and then bounded 3 feet away.   Draino.............   I love it when a plan comes together!

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Think this could be my best shot of the year. For certain easily in my top 5 ever. Playing a competition match I made a golden sandy for par (first in my life) to win the match. :dance:

Edited by MacDutch

Best full shot I've had into a green in a bit. 15th at Homestead Golf course just outside of Tipp City, OH. Was playing just over 145 yards and the wind was off the left and into a little. Played a nice high draw 9 iron shot to about 3 or 4 feet. Made the birdie putt and played the last 6 holes in 1 over.

IMG_0298.JPG

Edited by Jeremie Boop

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter