IGNORED

Best Shot of the Week

iacas

Approach shot on 12th hole this past Saturday:

Long, uphill par 4 where, unfortunately, I'd lost my first tee shot OB left.  3rd off the tee put me in the left rough with a severe side-hill lie below my feet...about 170 out.  Flushed an 8-iron out of there to around 10 feet and made the putt to save bogey.  Had a strong round going, and that approach allowed me to minimize the damage and avoid a card-killing blow up hole.

- Bill

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On a fairly modest par-4 at Miami Shores GC in Troy, OH. I had wasted a perfectly good drive by thinning the shot through the green and chunking my chip shot short of the green coming back. I was fuming when I hit the follow-up chip left of where I had intended only to see the break take it right to the hole to save par.

I guess best result may fit better here than best shot.

Best shot I saw this week was not mine. It belonged to my 10 year old Grand Daughter. We had our (her's) first practice yesterday. She chipped in a 15 footer from a couple yards off the green. That one made chip had her smiling, and ready to continue on. 

As we were making our way back to the car, she informed me that chip shots are much easier than putts. 

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

A group of 20 of us were in the Fort Wayne, IN, area last week. The last day we played "net" score for 18 and it was the first day/course that was not soaked and "cart path only."  I started out making some pretty poor swings and bogeyed the first 3 holes.  I needed a boost (or kick in the pants).  The 4th was a par 5 and I bunkered my third shot in a greenside bunker.  My ball was in a really bad lie in an area churned up by some animal.  One of our 4-ball suggested raking & placing but I said that didn't seem right and I would just try to play it.  Made it out but got hung up in the rough.  So now I am chipping for par from the rough.  I made it!  Par!!  Went on to play well and took home 2nd place money.  

Brian Kuehn

Easy kick in birdie on hole 10 yesterday. Not much else happened that was good, this was the only hole the wind didn't blow and it was raining. In fact I had to hit a punch drive under the wind and then suddenly it was nice and sunny for a about five minutes due to a break in the clouds. I took the chance there wouldn't be a gust and hit my stock 8i to a flag I lasered at 156 yards. It carried about 154, hopped and stopped.

IMG_1489.JPG

Capture.JPG

Dave :-)

Falls Road #6 is a long, uphill par 4.  I'm usually happy to be anywhere in the vicinity of the green in 2.  Yesterday, I hit a good drive 5 yards short of the 150 pole.  The laser said the pin was 165 yards away, and it was behind a bunker.  Normally I would aim to the right, to avoid the bunker, but I thought what the heck and went for the flag.  I pured a 4 hybrid that landed just over the bunker and rolled past and right of the hole.  

Slight downhill, 10 foot putt that slid a little left.  I aimed a cup right, and it just turned into the hole as it was coming to a stop. Birdie!  Never birdied that hole before.

• Upvote 1

10.5 deg Ping G30, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 3W, Taylor Made Rescue 3H, Ping G30 irons
Cleveland TA 900 SW, Mizuno T-Zoid LW, Odyssey DF Rossie I

http://golfshot.com/members/0622056080

I had several good shots today but the shot I think was the best one came on the 370 yd (from the whites) par 4 eight hole at Seneca Hickory Stick. After getting off a bad drive for only 185 yds. and not hitting the fairway I took my 3 Hybrid and hit my second shot of 185 yds left up onto the green and 2 putted for par.

Cod have been my 60 yard pitch shot I stuck about 3 feet from pin Sunday at Deltona Golf club or my approach shot from 210 out that I put on fringe of green hitting off the deck with my 3 wood (I usually don't hit my bigger clubs well). Tie I guess. 

Chip in for eagle on the short par 5 13th at LCC.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Not exactly exciting, but I holed a 30-foot putt on a day where I didn't hit the ball well at all...so that's probably it.  Laaaame.

- John

• 3 weeks later...

Even though the hole was an abomination, the best shot came out of this hole that ended with a double bogey. The hole started off with a near miss of a 86 yard drive that left me behind a tree on the left side of the fairway with no direct shot to the green. I was about 350 yards away from the hole so there was no way to get there in two. Rather than just punch out, I decide that I needed to get within a club to the hole. I decided to hit my 4 wood with a significant draw. I normally hit this shot but I set up for it and committed to the shot. It started out straight for about 80 yards and then started to draw into the middle of the fairway and ended up going 214 yards leaving me 129 yards to the hole.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Last Saturday - but lots of good shots on the weekend (two rounds)

230 to the green, 2nd shot on a Par 5 blind over trees.

Visualized a high 2h fade over the edges of the trees (it ends in a dog leg right).

Looked perfect, height, shape, and I made good contact - it was even a little more right (better lineup really).  Was hoping it was close.

Walked around the corner and it was square in the center of the back of the green.

(3 putted though, arrrrggghhh)

Lots of rain this weekend, unlikely to get to play....

Bill - 

My best shot of the week was a 250 yd fade shot off the tee to avoid the moat in front of the 265 yd. par 4 third hole at Oakwood course in Amherst, NY

250 yd fade.jpg

Edited by 9wood

Have to give this one to my playing partner this morning - 212Y Par 3, a green that neither of us have ever dropped on, a few low burners that have rolled onto the green. But today he took a 6 iron (he's a very big hitter), hit a perfect draw shot, and landed 6 feet past the hole. It wasn't even the distance he gets with that club, it was the shape of the shot that was so pretty.   

• 2 weeks later...

Hole #9, the #2 handicap hole, is a dog leg left par 4. Pulled my drive a bit and caught the trees to the left and dropped down behind a tree. I was 149 to the elevated green, with no direct shot. I set up for hook shot with my 5 iron which bent into the center of the fairway, hit the hill and popped up by the edge of the green. Chipped to 14" and took my par.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

18th hole at this week's tournament venue was a par 5.  I have played well up to that point.  After a decent drive and so so second I am in some mounds looking at my approach.  Having left a couple approaches a bit short I clubbed up and put my 7 iron to 5-6 feet.  Rolled it in for birdie and 76.  Finished 2nd net and tied for 5th overall on a gross basis in the "A" flight. As the shittiest golfer in the "A" flight, it was a nice finish.  

Brian Kuehn

Pushed a shot to the right on a par 3, and the ball basically rolled off the edge of a raised green complex.

I ended up about 4 feet back from a 7-foot stone wall. Hit a perfect flop shot to about 10 feet, and two-putted for one of the better bogies I've made.

- John

Bounced it off the stick on 151 yard par 3, made the birdie putt. Next par 3 I hit a high fade and stiffed it to 2'. Made the putt. Funny day I played up a set and everything was easier. Only time I was in trouble was hitting driver. 

Dave :-)