IGNORED

Best Shot of the Week

iacas

After a shitty drive, I decided to play it safe and lay up of a fairly intrusive fairway bunker thats about 100 yds out from the hole on a short par 5 (9th hole 460 from middle Pelham Bay Course Bronx, NY) My 3rd shot was a PW from 110 to about 5 feet. As I'm walking upto the green, the crew on the first tee box was applauding my shot, only to be interrupted by my playing partner holing out from 40 yds for eagle....I still made the birdie putt tho

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

Tuesday I was privileged to have our 92-year-old Legend as a competitor in our foursome. Our tournament's shotgun start found us on a par 3 starting hole. The Legend and the other two players had arranged a side best game for a couple beers between our two carts. Game On! The other two put their tee shots on the uphill 168 yard par 3. My partner, the Legend, hit a nice ball but tugged it just a bit and was pin high but on a mound in the rough. My turn.

I had not hit any warm up balls because I was working the sign-in table. A cool wind was in our face. I pulled my trusty Taylor Made cleek (circa 1988) and put my ball 5 feet from the hole. Made birdie to win that hole and birdied the next to put us two up. We never trailed.

Sadly, my game fell quite a bit off from that point and I finished out of the money in the tournament. But I helped win our Legend a beer and that is a good day's work. ;-)

p.s. the Legend is a member of the Michigan Golf Hall of Fame. He won the 70+ trophy at the British Amateur. He still has a single digit handicap and hits his tee ball around 250 yards.

Edited by bkuehn1952

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Best shot of the week.  Wedge to 3 feet

I hit my drive long and right down the middle.   I hit a half gap wedge about 50 yards to 3 feet from the hole and tapped in for...

..bogey. 

Because my first tee shot had gone so far to the right, I had hit a second tee shot. 

Yesterday - simple approach from 110 on a windy day with my gap wedge to 18 inches.  Just because I played the wind correctly.

Bill - 

Tempo was on-point last night, so I hit a bunch that I really liked.  But our hole #9 is friggin' hard, so I'm proud of this one.  Tees at 182 but pin up, giving 171 uphill (laser adjusted to 178), against a good breeze quartering in a little from the left.  My 4H is way too much here, so went with a 5i needing a near-perfect strike.  Got it!  High draw that hit just short of and right of the pin (by about 18 inches.  Looked like it had a chance to roll in, but straightened out leaving me with a 3.5' footer and easy birdie.

In the pic, the tees are on that ridge bisected by the pin.  I'm okay with bogey on this hole--and dance away with pars--so quite giddy to finish my evening 9 with a bird on it!  Had just grazed the edge on a big-breaking 10-footer on #8 to miss a birdie there, else woulda been a birdie-birdie finish.  Post round beer seemed colder and more refreshing than normal.  :beer:

Nice shot h9 8-3-2017 back small.jpg

• Like 1

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

• 4 weeks later...

I drove over a par 4 green that was 310 to the center. 

also

i had a horrible drive that sliced 2 fairways over. but the shot of the day was when I hit the green over many trees and hazards on my second shot to put myself back in the game. I ended up getting par, but that could have easily turned into a triple bogey.

Driver: :tmade: 2017 M1 9.5° / 3-wood: :tmade: AeroBurner 13.5° / Irons: :mizuno:  MP-69 (3-PW) / Wedges: :titleist: SM6 Vokey 50°, 54°, 58° / Putter: :titleist: Scotty Cameron Newport with SuperStroke 3.0 slim, 50g counterweight / Balls: :bridgestone:  Tour B330-S

NLC Cup 2017 Champion / Grand Master's Cup 2017 Champion / TDR Cup 2017 Champion / DTG Celebration Cup 2017 Champion

A mix between 2. VERY tight par 4, with a 230 yard carry over water. Bombed a drive 80 yards passed it right in the center of the fairway. 

The other was a short one, 45 yards out, lob wedge pitch that bounces once and rolls...hits the stick and bounces off to about 1'. 

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

14 hours ago, Slice of Life said:

A mix between 2. VERY tight par 4, with a 230 yard carry over water. Bombed a drive 80 yards passed it right in the center of the fairway. 

The other was a short one, 45 yards out, lob wedge pitch that bounces once and rolls...hits the stick and bounces off to about 1'. 

So you hit that drive 310 yards?  Really?

Went back-to-back birdie over the weekend.  First time ever.

On 8/30/2017 at 1:12 PM, Zekez said:

So you hit that drive 310 yards?  Really?

Went back-to-back birdie over the weekend.  First time ever.

Yeah, I absolutely murdered it. When I hit my pull drive straight, it flies...Have a handful of 300+ yard drives on my Game Golf.

Today, best was this one pictured....Pulled my drive and it hit a tree and plopped down. It left me stuck behind a group of trees...thought about just punching out safely, but went with the no guts no glory approach and tried to hit a low punch-hook with a 5 iron. Hooked perfectly around the trees and rolled just over the green.

Hook.png

• Like 1
Ryan M

This shot drew a round of applause from my playing partners:SoTW 9-2-17.png

Ball well below my feet and the mound in front of me blocked out my view of the green. Had to pick a couple of trees in the horizon to mark out the left and right edges of the green. Even backed out once and took another look just to confirm I was lined up correctly. Hit a little push due to the lie but put it stayed on.

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Saturday at my home course.  Short Par 4 15th with water on the right and trees lining the left.  I typically tee off with a 3 wood and the last few times I've been right... not in the water but over the water in some other trees.  So, Saturday, I decide I'm not going right and of course went left into the trees.  I had a nice opening to the pin but there was 1 large pine tree about 10 yards in front of me and directly in line with the pin.  The trunk basically obliterated the entire green, could not go right or left and shoot at the green.  There is a sand trap in the left front and I was 120 yards out from the pin which was in the back of the green.  I pulled out a pitching wedge with the thought I would punch one up toward the trap and have a pitch to try to salvage a par.  I hit a knock down shot but struck it very clean and it started at the trap and drew towards the flag.  Carried the trap and landed on the down slope on the green which kicked it further left.  Ended up 15 feet below the pin with a birdie putt... which I missed but a par was nice. 

• Like 1

:mizuno:  :titleist:  :tmade:

Today I hit my second shot onto the green and was on the far right with the pin set for lower left.  I nailed a 50' putt for my Birdie.  My foursome confirmed the distance because I did not want to exaggerate.  It was a sight to behold.  Later in the round I sank a 30' putt to save par.  I have to chuckle though I left two 8' putts on the lip for pars.

• Like 1

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

Best shot came on my nemesis hole. 90 degree dogleg left Par 5 at my home course. I typically double bogey it...or worse. The first time I ever shot in the 80s, I had a 10 on this hole lol

Hit a picture perfect drive down the left side...just about to the bend of the dogleg. I'm left with about 170 yards to the green, so I grab my 6 and attempt to hit a fade over these tall trees (since my fades are unintentional, and I'm incapable of a draw...with OB right). Ball clips the very top branch and drops straight down into the trees on the left. Awesome. 

I go to punch out, and hit it about 20 yards short of the green. Then, I grab my 60 degree and proceed to straight shank a pitch shot to the right. I'm again about 20 yards out, chip it up, and it rolls in for the most unusual par I've ever made in my life. 

UglyAssPar.png

Ryan M

Par 3 130 yards downhill hit a 52 degree wedge to 3' of the cup and made the putt for a birdie

Par 5 Wind at my back, nailed my drive right down the middle, sitting 180 I hit a wind aided 7 iron and left it 8' below the pin.  I sank my putt for a Eagle! 

• Like 1

- Dean

Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6

Played from the forward tees on my home course for a change of pace, hole 9, dogleg left 295ish yard par 4.  Hit driver, got a lucky bounce off the trees to the "right" (straight ahead at the far end of the dogleg) which left me 70 yards out in the middle of the fairway.  Took a 2/3rds 52* gap wedge to try to land it on the front of the green and let it roll out to the pin as this green tends to be very firm, and slopes from front to back.  Executed the shot I pictured perfectly, saw it roll slightly down the hill and behind the crest but I didn't think it would be quite enough to get to the pin as I saw the hole was in the back from when I went past the green on our hole #4.  My wife and I went over to her 3rd shot and watched as she hit a nice shot to the front of the green from deep trouble.  As we got up to the green, neither of us saw the ball anywhere on the green, so I looked in a sprinkler head just in case it was hiding there but as I walked up I decided to check the hole and there was my little white Callaway for my first ever Eagle!

tl; dr: 70 yard partial gap wedge for first ever Eagle!

Woods: Ping G15 10.5* Draw Driver;   Ping G Series 14.5* 3 Wood;  Callaway 2019 Apex 19* 3 Hybrid

Irons: Mizuno MP-33 4-PW

Wedges: Ping Glide 1.0 52* SS, Glide Stealth 2.0 56* ES, Hogan 60* SW

Edel E-1 Putter

Farmstead - played the Valley course - 2nd hole is a super tight tree lined par 3 (165 yds), with a narrow green.   Can't miss left due to big hill which drops off at the fringe, and right is tree city.   It's almost like trying to play an island green, but you have to hit it straight with no fade or draw, it's so tight.   Probably the first time I've par'd it in years - nothing epic, but requires a solid tee shot.

Edited by inthehole

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

On a day where I had kinds of issues I had one shot that stood out.  Par 3 168 yards into the wind and stuck a 7 iron with in the pin below the cup.  It was a pretty shot but alas I left my Birdie putt on the lip (: 

- Dean

After a mediocre tee shot on a par 4, I was in the rough, with the ball slightly below my feet, about 210 yards from the green, maybe 225 to the pin (downhill, though, so playing more like 210 total, 195 to the front of the green). I hit a great 6 iron that ended up less than 20 feet from the hole on the fringe. By far the best shot I had the entire round. 2 of the people in my group were in similar positions but closer to the hole, and neither of them got within 10 yards of the front of the green. 2 putted for par. This is a hole where a bogey is good score, so I was super pleased with my par and that approach shot.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint: