IGNORED

Best Shot of the Week

iacas

285 yard carry drive that trickled into a shallow greenside bunker on a short par 4. I average around 265 carry, but have a slight fade. This one went straight and didn't lose distance. Almost went up and down on the bunker shot and landed about a foot past the hole. Tapped in for birdie. Helped after the 3 putt on the par 3 before...

SoTW 8-17-19.png

Shot of the week would be the 2nd shot on the 1st hole on Saturday's round. Had to punch it through three trees, keep it lower than about 10' to clear the branches, and draw it back towards the green. This shot basically checked all the boxes.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Today I played a short but tricky course about 10 mins from home. Following up a chip in for bogey on the first, I hit 5W to the right side of the fairway on the second, then a beautiful 9I to two feet and made the putt. One of the best iron shots I’ve hit in a while.

Edited by dagolfer18

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Saturday, August 24...Drive to center of fairway on short par 4 Hole #2. 9 iron to a few inches in front of pin and it rolled in! EAGLE! Sure made my day, though not my round, 'cause I've never had an eagle. Best, -Marv

• Like 2

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

I lost my ball on my best shot.

On a short par 5 that goes uphill and then steeply downhill, I hit a nice drawing drive up the right side of the fairway that landed near the top of the hill and disappeared down the back side where you can't see it from the tee box. The ball was drawing back to the middle and landed 5 yards inside the right rough.  The terrain is sloped slightly to the middle of the fairway.  We looked for over 3 minutes and could not find my matte green ball in the right side rough or in the fairway. It is over 260 yards to the top of the hill and with the steep downhill on the other side this ball should have been my longest driver ever.

• Like 1

War Eagle!

This shot was actually from a few weeks ago: my dad, grandpa, brother and I were playing a course at the beach, called North Shore. After two shots on the par-4 7th I was in the bunker in front of the green. I decided to pick the ball instead of blast it, because it was sitting about 6 inches below my feet. Started dead on line with the pin, but checked up two rolls short of dropping. Ended up tapping in for a par, the best par I’ve ever made, and my score was an 89, first time breaking 90. I just was in the zone that day. 

• Like 1

WITB:

Alright, so this was just yesterday, more like best hole of the week:

I was playing at a new course with my dad, grandpa and brother, and already with one birdie on the 14th, and on the par-5 18th, 500 yards, I hit a less-than-ideal drive and am left with over 300 yards, in the rough. I pop my second up about 120, leaving me about 180 into the green, I then hit a low hybrid that miraculously held on the lightning-fast greens, 7 feet behind the pin. Made the putt for birdie and a 95 on the day. Didn’t play my best apart from the two birds, but had that to be proud of.

• Like 1

WITB:

Had my shot of the year yesterday. 

was playing a short par 4, dog leg to the right. played a 4 iron off the tee and pushed it right into the rough. ended up about 210 out in the rough, ball was a little fluffed up. green was protected by water in the front and sand on the right. pulled out the 5 iron and played a high draw right at the pin. ball mark about 8 feet in front of the hole and stopped about 5 feet behind it. drained the putt for birdie. 

I hit a down hill, 230 yard (+/-) 3W to with in 2' feet of the hole today. I then putted the ball in for a par 5 eagle. 

Now I realize the down hill fairway gave me alot of the extra 40 yards of carry, and roll. But I also know I had to put together a decent set up, alignment, and quality swing/impact on that e7  ball.

My tee shot was pretty decent too, as it was a  little longer than normal. 

Hell, even that 2' foot had to be thought about, and rolled well.

Yes it was short 460 yard  par 5, but the score card still reads 2 under....lol

• Like 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I put my tee shot in the sand on a par 3. Not sure what I did on my sand shot, but I pushed it badly and ended up off the green on the far side of the green. Because it was just my son and I and there was no one behind us, I hit another sand shot just for practice.  It was pretty and I put it within 6 inches of the hole.  It looked like a pro shot.  Then I went to my real ball and chipped in from off the green to save par. It was also pretty and even looked like I knew what I was doing.

War Eagle!

• Administrator

I had 147 to a back left pin with a little slope from the middle of the green toward that corner. The ball was 6" above my feet, and the wind was slightly down. I chip drew a little 8I to about six feet and buried the putt - the ball came off well, hit the slope, and popped a few feet further left when it hit. Solid, simple, easy.

7th hole at Whispering Woods, and the third birdie in a row that I made.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Playing a match with a golf buddy, we got to #10 at Leslie Park, my toughest hole on the course. I hit a nice drive in the fairway while my buddy, who got a stroke, ended up in the rough.  He laid up and I figured at worst he was going to score a bogey/net par.  I was 170 out, essentially looking at brush, bushes and Traver Creek, with a flag tip showing slightly above all the trouble.  I could lay up too and hope to better his pitch & putt effort or go for the green.

I had been playing well and decided to go for it.  My thought was at worst I lose the hole on one of his stroke holes (he got two on this side) and have 8 holes to make it up. Plus, I wanted him to know his strokes weren't going to help him.  I hoisted a hybrid up over all the trouble and ended up on the back fringe about 15 feet from the hole.  Putting from the fringe I made par.  He saved bogey (net par) for a push.  You could sense the wind come out of his sails as he figured he would pick up a hole on me there. I won the next 5 holes, and the match.:yess

p.s. Had an unusual back nine for me.  I parred all 9 holes, something I do not think I have ever done.  I always have a bogey or two and when I am playing well, sometimes a couple birdies to offset my mistakes.

Edited by bkuehn1952
  • Like 1

Brian Kuehn

Our last night of men's league yielded more than a few best shots of the week.  The 17th hole is a nasty par 3 that has a pond in front and to the right is a creek.  My father in law is the only one on the team to not lose his ball, and he's forty feet away from the cup and five feet off the green, downhill.  As the first to putt, I read the line perfectly, kept my head down and drained the damn thing. 

Sandwiched between that par three were two par 5s.  On the first I hit our third shot from 4o yards out pin high to the left 8 feet away.  Not super close, but as someone who can't pitch worth a damn I was really impressed with that. 

|A few holes later I hit a nice draw ( as a lifelong slicer this year has been great for shaping some shots to the right) to about 150 out.  I hit a not great shot dead at the pin, but come up short and just bounce past the fringe onto the green, this time we're 28 feet out.  Another guy on the team and I totally misread the putt, saying its coming from the left. My FIL tells us he doesn't give a shit about what's in our heads, and taps the ground just outside the cup to the right two inches and tells us that's where the putt has to be.  He tends the flag, I line up first, and drain another.  

On our second last hole, which was another par 3.  A guy on our team needed a drive so that the last hole could be open for everyone to shoot.  Incidentally, his name actually is Guy, and he hits the best shot out of the four of us, 25 feet away short of the hole with twenty feet of rough to get over.  Putting is out of the question, so I get to shoot first, and a hit a nice, low, AW chip that goes straight at the hole, lands eight feet away and rolls  into the flag and then drops in. 

I would to also add that I'm the most inconsistent guy on my team.  If I actually hit a fairway with a tee shot we end up taking it, even if we have better options.  You just can't predict how things will go with me on any given week.  Tonight, aside from the first two holes I hit more GIRs than ever before in league play and hit more than half of my drives on the fairway with that steady draw.  It's just a shame I can't do it more consistently.

We're not a great team by any means, but we were playing the second or third ranked team in our league, and tied them at the end of the night at five under.  They were a bunch of guys in their late twenties, and although they outdrove us by a wide margin, they were shocked that us 'Old Bastards'(I'm not even 50 yet!) could score just as well as them by hitting less club off the tee.  It was a great, and new, feeling having people in the clubhouse talking about how great you played within earshot. 

All I know is that was the luckiest I've been on a Monday night on a golf course.  Or any of the times I've been on a golf course.

Corey

Ok I have to first admit that this shot happened earlier this year.  I just have been swamped and did not get it listed.

Par 3 174 yards with a slight wind in my face.  I hit a 5 iron and as soon as I made contact I knew it would be nice.  Short fade into the green and the landed 2" in front of the cup and just clipped the pin.  It is the closest I have been to a hole in one.

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

And since I am catching up and currently can't play due to knee infection.

Hilton Head National #6 Par 4 298 from the tips, water along the right and traps all over.  My paying partners asked me to hit my Driver and said they would replace the golf ball if it went splash.  I hit a perfect Drive and ended up on the right fringe of the green.  

😎I saved a Par from there.  

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

I had sliced my drive and got lucky because it hit a tree and ricocheted back into the fairway. I hit a 123 yd approach shot that landed close and rolled to 18" on the 4th hole for a birdie. That was the shot of the round and of the week.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

180 yard out with many trees with low branches in the path. Took a 3i with something between a punch and a stinger, apex no more than 5 feet, caught the cart path once (which was kind of expected based on where it was), and rolled up for a greenside chip.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls