IGNORED

Best Shot of the Week

iacas

Best shot of my day and maybe the week,month ? was a shot out of a bunker today that I got to hit hard to back spin 2-3in and basically end only a foot to the side of the hole from not the best line in a mid depth bunker 15yards out ...pure class I don't think I will achieve anytime soon

Go Foxy Go

#11 at Hunter's Ridge yesterday.   Par 3 playing 176 yards from the white tees.   Tap in birdie.

Hunters Ridge #11.png

• Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I hit a poor approach right of the green, plus a 15 MPH wind pushed it farther away and it hit a cart path, bouncing another 20 yards right of the green. I was also short sided with the pin on a bump on the green that is the size of a postage stamp. I had a decent lie in the rough and I opened my 60 degree Vokey and took a full swing. The ball landed on the fringe and trickled to about a foot from the pin. Any shorter and I miss the green and and any longer I go 30 feet past the pin. I got applause from my playing partners, so I tipped my cap.😎

Bill M

Last Saturday's round - had a poor approach that went about 10 yards too long...and holed out the pitch shot from 30 feet.

- John

• Administrator
On 5/22/2020 at 12:39 PM, Hardspoon said:

Last Saturday's round - had a poor approach that went about 10 yards too long...and holed out the pitch shot from 30 feet.

Almost did that twice today.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

Almost did that twice today.

Yup. Unfortunately, I did the “poor approach” part a bit more than twice. 😉

- John

210yd Par 3, 5 iron

The ball climbed quickly and began turning over slowly with a draw, landing left side of green, pin high.

It just looked pretty cool more than anything special

Today while playing I dunked a shot today from about 40 yards out. It hit the flag stick then hit the foam in the cup and bounced about 10 feet past the hole.

Nothing heroic...

Poor drive, poor approach 30 yards short and right.   Pitch to 8” to save the halve.

Sometimes not losing a hole is just as good as winning one...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Not much to choose from because I only played two holes, but I thinned a 3/4 wedge 10 yards past the green and then pitched it on, one hopped, hit the flag stick and dropped to 12” for a tap-in bogey.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

After a completely rubbish round, one of the worst since I started playing golf since driving ranges have been mostly closed, it was on the 18th hole, a short par 5. I'd been pull hooking my drives all day, so I aimed my drive to a bush on the right side of the fairway and played it. I crushed the tee shot and lo and behold, it hooked and ended up on the right edge of the fairway. I had to hit over water and a bunker to reach the green 205 yds away. One of my playing partners told me the distance to the layup area which was about an 8 iron. Instead I'd had such a lousy round I decided to pull a 4H and go for it. I'd figured out why I'd been pull hooking and duffing everything -- only took 115 strokes, but first post lockdown round... 

I took three practice swings with the hybrid to get the different feel. Then smacked it. High fade. And it made it but missed the green... pin high. Smart play would have been to chip and run down.... but... Flop shot on with my 58 to 8 feet. And this putt for birdie. Straight into the cup. I'm back.

So I'd say it was between that 205 yd high fade with the 4H and that flop shot.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

This week, best shot was a long drive on #3. Started my round poorly with back to back double bogeys and was getting mentally prepared for a long day on the course.

#3 is a long, downhill par 4. Sun directly in our eyes on the tee, so tracking the ball was nearly impossible. I aimed down the right side since the fairway slopes a bit right to left, and teed the ball a touch higher than usual. The contact was great, one of those strikes where you can feel it was struck dead center. Nice smooshed dimple imprint right in the center of the face. No one saw the ball flight at all, so I had no idea where it ended up.

I walked down the left side and started looking along the left edge of the fairway around 300 yards from the tee box which is where my decent drives usually roll out to on this hole and this felt pretty well hit. No balls in sight.

I was getting ready to get a new ball out when one of the guys in my group on the other side of the fairway calls “hey @Darkfrog, you playing a Cut ball?”

Turns out my ball ended up about 340 yards down the right side. Lob wedge onto the green and made the birdie putt. Completely changed the course of the round, and went on to shoot a personal best. 

• Like 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Approach from 110yds for an easy birdie on #15 at my course. Par 4 361yds.B9543378-0E34-46F1-96DC-1AF87D657263.thumb.jpeg.63881b093be4fd31bab58a2d81785d86.jpeg

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Striped a 3w off the tee on my "home" course at the 13th hole. Started just right of center with a baby draw, ended up just left of the middle of the fairway. I've been struggling with this club for the past two years and I'm starting to find the love for it again.

Planning to play on Saturday so the week isn't over, but this shot was worth posting about.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Technically the result of this shot was not good.

#11, a long par-3 on my home course, the start of what I, and some other regulars I sometimes get paired with, refer to as “hang on corner”. It’s a series of 3 difficult tee shots that can nuke a good round quickly.

This hole usually plays 195-205 yards, and the back tees can be 240+ yards, but the back tees are also elevated so doesn’t play quite as long.

Today from the middle tees the pin was 212 yards. Usually this is a 5-iron hole for me, slight downhill at around 200, but 212 pushed it to 4-iron.

I picked a target, aligned myself and swung. I hit the purest long iron I’ve ever struck on course. Launched high, tracking perfectly toward the flag with a slight draw. But carried the green, one bounce on the back fringe and into some rough. Total distance was 228 yards, carry was 220 (stepped off the distance to the fringe).

Flubbed a pitch, then 3 putt from 40 feet for a 5. 

Edited by Darkfrog

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Typically I stay out of this thread, because usually my best strikes of the day don't always result in the best outcomes.   however, I was really proud of this 6 iron.  high draw out of the light rough to a back pin.  absolutely pured it, center face, on the exact line I was intending.   put it 11ft away pin high.   and to top it off, drained the putt.   

image.thumb.png.e333d73bbc9b86047bf9ae89577c765a.png

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

I’ve got several shots that contend for best shot this week, but I’m gonna narrow it down to three.

1. On the third hole on Friday, I hit a 9I to about two feet. Didn’t make the birdie putt, which was definitely disappointing.

2. I was sitting just outside the 150-yard marker on the par-4 14th. I was trying to decide on a hard 8I or a smooth 7I, and I decided on the 7I. As soon as the ball left left the club. I knew I had hit it perfect. It landed on the green, about pin-high, about seven feet from the cup. Grazed the edge of the cup with my birdie putt, but I’ll take a tap-in par on that hole.

3. Same round as #2, on the par-5 16th. The hole is 523 yards from the whites, and I tried closing my stance a bit to keep it low, and I hit my driver about as good as I could’ve hit it. Pulled it a tad left, and it finished in the left rough (but the rough at my home course really isn’t bad at all), and a yardage marker near my ball read 258. One of the best drives, contact-wise, that I’ve hit on that hole. I was able to make a five from there.

Edited by dagolfer18

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot