IGNORED

Best Shot of the Week

iacas

Par three twelfth at Sugar Hill Golf Club - 119 yards, over a pond and a bunker fronting the green.  Pin is in the center of the green, so I take dead aim with a pitching wedge, and go right over the pin.  If I had hit my 50° wedge, I might have holed it.  Wound up on the back of the green and two putted for par.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

After a driver in the water...and a chunky gap wedge...I was lying five off the back of a green, maybe 30' away in sticky rough.

Me to my friend: "It's fine, I'm just gonna chip this one in."  Proceed to chip it in.  Perfect speed, too...it would have stopped a foot past if it didn't go down.

image.png

- John

Hit a 7W, 160 yards, over a  green guarding bunker to with in tap in range. It was a risk/reward decision. Made the putt for a bird

That bird helped me walk off the 18th green with a 78.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

My ability to get up and down from all over the place is the only reason I have worked my index down to where it is now.  On our par 5 #9 I got it down to having 59 yards in for my third shot and totally fatted it -  it got almost halfway there...  First club toss of the year.  Yep,  walked up and holed it our for bird from about 30 yards.  I guess that's still up and down?!?!

7th hole after 6 pretty atrocious holes is the #1 hcp hole on the course. It’s a dogleg left downhill par 4 where the second shot is over water to an isolated green (forest around the green). My friend hits a straight 3 iron to the dogleg, a very good shot. Tells me I wanna see you hit a better shot that this. Now I’ve been hitting 4 iron/3 hybrid on this hole in the past. Usually it was ok, but I could’ve been long with both of these clubs (don’t carry the 3 hybrid anymore). So I pulled my 5 iron and hit the perfect draw 220 yards total around the dogleg to a plateau where I had 120 yards left to the center of the green. You can’t hit a better shot on the hole unless you hit a high draw over the trees (very high) in front of the water or on the green (both totally blind shots). 

I was coming off two extremely disappointing holes, back to back par 5's.  The first I had put myself in perfect position and chunked my third, leading to bogey.  The next hole found me on the green 15 feet from the hole but I let my first putt get away from me which led to a 3-putt bogey.  A decent round was slipping away.

The next hole is a 408 yard par 4, long for this old guy.  I hit a very nice drive in the fairway.  The ball was above my feet and I adjusted my stance to try to account for the lie and probable right-to-left ball flight.  I hit the most solid 7-wood (yes, I carry a 7-wood) of 2020.  I couldn't see exactly where the ball ended up but as I walked forward the ball was about 12 inches from the hole for a tap-in birdie.  :yess 

• Like 1

Brian Kuehn

A few really good shots today - but the best was a sand wedge from 93 yards to within about 6" of the cup.  It came after a punch-out from the trees, so a tap-in par.

- John

Moved to CT in April and finally played my new home course (H Smith Richardson in Fairfield) Only the second time in my life with 2 birdies in a round (not counting pitch and putt/par 3 courses) and to top it off it was my birthday!

The birdie on the back was a pretty run of the mill par 5 in 3 but a nicer putt than usual. The one on the 7th hole was by far the best shot of the day though. 7th hole is a dogleg where it's difficult to get close without being risky. My first time playing it so I hit right to the turn and had 170 to hole. Hit my 5 iron to about 2 feet. Before this round I was hitting my middle irons like crap and since that shot, the 5 has been money.

• Upvote 1

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

Wasn't so much "a" shot yesterday but my putting was pretty ridiculous. 11 one putts most in the 10 to 20 foot range. Put a couple by the edge as well. 2 birdies, 6 par s and 3 bogeys. Don't expect that a lot but made it a fun day. 

EBDBAA33-1353-4FEB-B4E5-1319F8E8E593.jpeg

Shot of the Week for me is a chip-in from just off the back of the green on 17 today.

Interesting hole. Flared my drive right (low toe), hit a tree with a well-struck 4i, then hit a high cut that just landed on the back of the green and rolled off. Easy par 😜

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Pretty forgettable round overall. Priority pieces from lesson weren’t coming together on course as often as I’d hoped, and ball striking was pretty poor overall.

Hit my best drive of the day on #15, a narrow but driveable par-4. Fairway slopes hard right to left, and I hammered my drive on an almost perfect line up the right side. Ended up in the left rough a few yards past the start of the green. Pitched to inside 10 ft which is pretty good for me, and sunk the putt. One of the few memorable holes from a frustrating round. 
09A5ED5F-D4DD-4141-86F3-8D5AA723C41F.thumb.jpeg.a976b1b3056e685d03e575c384879cea.jpeg

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Drive on #16 Thursday afternoon GPS-measured at 297y.  No wind, elevation, or cart path help...just a dead-straight pop with good carry.  My distance is up over the last 18 months or so, and especially since I started playing hockey (stick-handling work has beefed up my lead shoulder and legs in particular, and I've worked my trail shoulder to keep up), but I wouldn't call 297y a common occurrence for me just yet...it takes a 5 out of 5 contact mash to approach that.  My more common strike (I call it 4 out of 5 contact) is a little more knuckleball/low flight that doesn't max out my carry...maybe carries 230y and rolls out 265ish.

FWIW, I didn't convert the bird.  I hit a good flighted wedge from 60y or so that hit just past the hole but ran out to about 12', then burned the edge on my birdie--but it was a good roll...just a slick downhiller with about 8" or break or so.  Even with a par, I was happy--that's about as good as I can play a hole, even if I didn't convert the -1.

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

Well, since my tournament was today, I guess my golf week ends today. My best shot this week was my second shot on the short 322-yard (white tees) par-4 16th at Forest Oaks CC. After a solid drive to the right side of the fairway, I had just under 100 yards to the pin. The minute my shot left the club, I knew it was gonna be good. It made a beeline for the pin and never left it, pitching just short and stopping about eight inches out. Confidently tapped in for the birdie.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

From 215 out, under a tree I hit a low draw with my 4 iron to about 10 feet from the pin. 

Also, knocked in a pitch shot from just off the 2nd green to save par. 

Bombed a drive almost 300 yards on hole number 14 at Collins Hill Golf Course.  I was about ten yards short of the green... and managed to make a bogey because my short game is a hot mess.

Bomb.jpg

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Chipped in for birdie on the second hole at oak Hills in Norwalk, CT. 2nd birdie chip in in the past 2 weeks! Had only chipped in for birdie once in my 7 years playing before this! (Plenty of chip ins for like an 8 tho). Also on 1, my chip lipped out but still made par putt.

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4