IGNORED

Best Shot of the Week

iacas

Slim pickings to be sure, but I had one little moment.

I hit a lousy, short push behind a trap on the par-3, No. 2 at National Golf Links in South Charleston, OH. Then clipped a pitch shot over the trap, hit the fringe just the way I'd hoped and the ball two-hopped into the base of the flag stick and down for the birdie.

Really about the only redeeming shot of the day, but it was something.

• Like 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Cantankerish said:

That’s pretty remarkable.  I really have no idea what your game is like despite our frequent discussions - they’re all about me.  Is it typical for you to hit such tremendous drives?  Do you have control of them like you want to?

Erik’s like a +1.4-2 hcp....so yeah.😀

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Yesterday.... #18, creek crosses fairway at quite a distance off the tee.  Since coming back from two torn tendons in my elbow my drives are about 30 yards shorter.  Used to play 3 wood off that tee... now driver because I am shorter.  Yesterday I drove the creek.  Took the penalty stroke and chalked it up as a happy victory.  Look out, the distance is coming back!

• Like 1

On 6/21/2020 at 7:45 PM, iacas said:

I hit a driver 322 yards on the 4th hole today. 302 on the tenth. 307 on the 14th. And 291 into a little wind on the 17th.

You had 35-40 yards on me last year at Totteridge. This seems longer.

Anyway, a rope straight 8 iron on 156 yard par 3 to 10 feet. Missed the bird but feels good to be hitting irons reasonably well again. 

47 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Yesterday.... #18, creek crosses fairway at quite a distance off the tee.  Since coming back from two torn tendons in my elbow my drives are about 30 yards shorter.  Used to play 3 wood off that tee... now driver because I am shorter.  Yesterday I drove the creek.  Took the penalty stroke and chalked it up as a happy victory.  Look out, the distance is coming back!

Well, don't leave us hanging. How far was the creek?

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

It's a toss up. You pick it.

1) My playing partners were no-shows so I went out as a single. The foursome in front of me felt pressured so they asked me to play through on the 6th hole right after I triple bogeyed the 5th. Great. They'd already hit their tee shots. I dropped mine on the green about 15 feet from the hole for nearest to the pin. 

2) Fast forward to the par five 16th hole. My back was killing me. After the 11th hole, my driver was put on vacation. Bombed my 3W, but unfortunately it bombed right into the trees on the right. I got a cart path bounce and it apparently glanced off a tree and landed next to the cart path (I thought I'd lost it and searched for a bit before spotting it). Do I take relief? (Y/N) Relief would have put me behind a tree. I don't believe I'm required to take relief. I just played the 175 yd shot 6i (there was a little grass under the ball) and put it on the fringe in two. 

3) Also 16. It was a very wide fringe - about 6'. I debated whether to putt or hit a little bump and run with a 7 iron. I left the subsequent bump and run 1' high of the cup for a tap in birdie.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

• Administrator

My first of the day? Dogleg? Looks like a straight hole to me.

Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 9.36.17 PM.png

Maybe this one, though. Nearly an ace.

Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 9.36.37 PM.png

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Lanier Islands Legacy Golf Course - Hole # 8 - 309 yard par four.  Carried my drive about 225, but it rolled back into a fairway bunker, and that's where the magic happened!

Pitching wedge from the bunker, to a pin that is about 110 yards away, but SEVERELY uphill, and I fly it over the pin to just over the back fringe.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Played only 9 holes this week, since it's been so hot (Went to play discgolf in the woods instead :D). Got myself a new phone and tested filming one teeshot with it, which ended up being probably one of the only good shots of the round, since I felt dead after like 3 holes in that heat. Driver into slight headwind which I gave little extra juice, don't know the exact length, but it was long for me. Didn't know this phone can record 4k video. 🙈

• Like 1

Ok - i am not going to use the near hole in one on #10 at my home course because i missed the 2' putt for birdie but i did make the 3' comeback for par.  Nope

Instead, it is a chip shot.

I have been massively struggling chipping out of dense thick rough around the green.  In fact when my ball is in flight and i know it is not going to land on the green i start asking it to fall into the sand trap.  Sand is my friend, the thick rough is my enemy.  I literally have been playing eenie eenie aye over the green when chipping out of the thick so perfectly manicured crap.  Not just once but up to 3 times back and forth, now i am all in for getting my steps in for the day but this is/was ridiculous.  I have not done this since i first learned to play the game like 50 years ago.  My friends have asked me what in the world is going on, we've never seen you do this.  Yet i kept it up.  I hit my 52* & 48* Wedges around the green depending on the situation.  I know it's coming out hot, boom gone, place my hands further forward swing softer, boom it's gone, go up to the PW, boom it's gone.  Over and over again, 7 iron - home run over the green.  None stop.

So, before humbling myself and asking on this site what to do i went to the 1 online golf tip person i like.  I was humbled and felt ridiculously stupid at the same time.  Sand wedge, open it up pop it out watch it stop in a controllable distance.  Watched the lesson a couple times on Youtube and i was prepared for battle against my arch enemy.

With no time to practice this shot i was on to a very nice public course.  It had the rough around the greens that is designed to destroy my game, but i was ready for it.  The only issue was i either hit greens in regulation - shocking!!! or i was finding my old friend, the sand trap and wow i hitting out of them so exceptionally well, sand is my friend is oh so true,

Finally i placed a shot in the thick ultra manicured jungle next to the green with a tight pin placement as well.  I was ready, grabbed my 56* sand wedge, looked the shot over with extreme confidence, laid that sucker wide open and said "this is not grass, it is sand, sand is my friend!!!" and i put the most perfect sand wedge swing in the galaxy on that shot........  Phil would have been oh so proud of me 🙂

On contact i was - ohhh this feels so good, as i finished the follow thru - by the way this all happened in 4k ultra slow motion - the ball pops up ever so beautiful in the air, lands as a feather on the green and rolls just ever so sexy up by the pin.  I stood there just grinning and i looked down at what used to be a jungle of fear and said - " I conquered you, you bitch" and promptly get yelled at by my daughter and wife.  I didn't care i had just defeated my Moriarty.  I wanted more of that shot it was so satisfying.  I wanted to miss greens to hit it again and again.

Later in the round i hit a 30' over a sand trap out of the jungle onto the green and just grinned.

Why i never thought of hitting a Sand Wedge in that spot is beyond me, but it sure is so nice to be able to execute that shot and have a lot of fun doing it.  

So that was not just my best shot of the week, it was my Conquest of the Week!

Next up - the approach before the green that is so wonderfully groomed but causes me to hit a wedge thin because i don't want to hurt the grass.  Do i putt 20 yard shots, or do i somehow get over my fear of hurting grass and hit the wedge, do i hit a 7 iron and bump and run but still may hurt the grass - oh the mind and golf - oh the glorious challenges.

I love this game!

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

Mine was yesterday morning on the first shot of the day. 313-yard straight away par 4 with the only danger being a fairway bunker and a couple scattered trees, both at about 240, so it's a nice opener to get the swing going.

Hit one of the straightest drives I've ever had and landed it just in front of the green where it rolled about 15 feet past the hole. Proceeded to knock down the downhill right-to-left putt for just my second eagle ever and first on a par 4.

• Like 1

Justin

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Draw 11* Evenflow Blue 65 X

Fairway Wood: :callaway: Epic Flash 5 Wood 18* Tensei Blue AV 75 X
Irons: :titleist: AP3 4-PW Project X 6.5   |   Wedges: :callaway: MD4 50*/56*/60*
Putter: :odyssey: O-Works Tank #1

My Swing

Played like dogshit today, and I was just about ready to check out after scoring +13 for the first 5 holes. The sixth hole is a driveable par-4, today the pin was 275 yards from the tee box, 260 yards to the front of the green. I hit a 3W that landed about 5 yards short of the green and rolled on to about 4 feet from the hole. Best chance at eagle I've had in a long time. Left the putt 6 inches short, but tapped in for birdie.

Edited by Darkfrog
spelling

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

I hit some pretty good shots over the weekend playing with @jamo and @boogielicious, but the best one was my 8i on #13 at Fox Hopyard yesterday. Pulled my driver onto a mound on #14 but had a clean look at the green, about 160 yards to the flag into a headwind. The ball was tracking for the flag the entire time; landed it about 3' past the hole and came to rest about a foot away from the mark. Made the putt for birdie.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I had kicked it around a bit on the front nine when I hit my tee shot on #9 up the right side, which is a problem since a large tree blocks most or all of the green, depending on how far right one is.  If I could hit a slight fade on my 2nd, I could catch some of the green but I hit it straight and into a green side bunker.  I have struggled with bunker shots for some time.  I used to say I was competent and expected to get it on the green and save 25% or so.  No longer.  Now it is an adventure.

For this day, however, I turned back the clock.  Hit it to 3 feet and made the par.  Made the turn with a 40 and played +1 (37) on the back.  Who is afraid of the sand!!! ... okay, maybe me still a bit.

Brian Kuehn

1 hour ago, bkuehn1952 said:

Who is afraid of the sand!!! ... okay, maybe me still a bit.

too funny.   me too.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

13 hours ago, billchao said:

I hit some pretty good shots over the weekend playing with @jamo and @boogielicious, but the best one was my 8i on #13 at Fox Hopyard yesterday. Pulled my driver onto a mound on #14 but had a clean look at the green, about 160 yards to the flag into a headwind. The ball was tracking for the flag the entire time; landed it about 3' past the hole and came to rest about a foot away from the mark. Made the putt for birdie.

That’s your birdie MO!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Pine Hills Golf Club - Hole 13 - 389 yards - Par 4

I tried to hit mt drive over a small tree to the left of a larger one, but instead, I managed to push it to the right of the tree, perilously close to the water, but I cleared it with a couple of feet to spare, leaving me about 115 yards with a side-hill lie to a green behind a stand of pine trees.  I had to keep the shot below the trees along the shore, and then up over the trees in front of the green.  I committed to the shot, took a practice swing, and then hit the shot exactly as I imagined it.  It bounced right past the pin and rolled off the back of the green, but damn... it did look good in the air.

The drive on the next hole, and 386 yard par four - which left me about 100 yards in - was great too, and I managed a par on the hole.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Big Beaver Creek Golf Club #2, a 90 degree dogleg left. After a pulled drive into the trees and a duffed layup/pitch out shot, I holed out for birdie from 105 yards out using my AW.  I didn't see it go in. When we got the green I expected to be on the green, but couldn't see my ball so I assumed it rolled off the back.  My league opponent asked if I looked in the hole and that's where I found it. Other than a par 3 on the last hole, the rest of the round was poor, although I had my best league result of the year. I had to give my opponent 8 strokes and then he shot his best round of the year, so I didn't get a lot of points.

War Eagle!