IGNORED

Best Shot of the Week

iacas

Hit a thin 5 iron on a sharp dogleg where you need to hit 180-210 on your first shot to have a look at the green so I just barely had a look around the trees and 170 yards to the green. The ball was well above my feet and in some rough. Aimed on the very right side of the green hoping the stance would add some additional draw. Hit it perfectly just managed to miss some low hanging branches and hit it to about 15’. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Coming into #16, a hole I have never officially birdied (the last one on my home course) I hit a drive up the right side leaving 120 into a front pin placement into the wind. I just had this same shot 5 holes back and I played a pw punch and didn't stay with the shot and pulled it pin high 20 feet left. So with the thought of staying down and through I put the ball a ball or two back while gripping down, took a 90% backswing and hit through and sent the ball piercing through the wind to 2 feet for an easy bird. Now I can stop thinking about that hole! 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Not a single shot this week, but a series of shots on back to back holes in heavy fog with basically no useful visibility. I hit what I would consider four great (by my standards) shots in a row.

I call holes #11 and #12 on my home course "hang on corner". I didn't coin the term, but I heard a couple other players refer to the holes that way, and it makes sense. A decent round can quickly go off the rails on these holes. It's a long (200+ yard), challenging par-3, followed by a short (300 yards), but tricky par-4. I think these are the two most difficult holes on the course, and usually I am happy to finish these +2. I think my scoring average on both of these is around +1.5.

Hole #11 was playing about 210 yards to the center of the green according to my GPS watch. I hit a 6-iron 195 yards to the front fringe (slightly downhill hole). I lucked out with my club selection because the hole was in the front of the green so I had about 8-9 yards left. The ground was covered in heavy moisture due to the fog, so I chipped with a 50 degree wedge instead of trying to guess how the moisture would impact the speed of a putt. I put the ball about 8 inches from the hole and tapped in for par. Felt like a birdie.

Hole #12 requires a tee shot on the left side of the fairway. The fairway runs out at 200 yards where a creek crosses the hole, so an iron off the tee is the play. The fairway is wide, but being too far right means you have to hit the approach over some pretty tall trees along a creek, which usually means drop = penalty if you don't clear the trees. I hit 6 iron off the tee, about 190 yards, and landed in perfect position down the left side of the fairway, 113 yards from the center of the green. I guessed that the hole would be placed in the back since the previous hole was in the front. So I hit a partial PW hoping for about 120 yards. Again, I got lucky with hole location - it was in the back of the green, and my pitch mark was about 3 yards past the hole, and it spun back to hole high, about 6 feet. I did 2-putt, but this also felt like a birdie.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

1st hole, par 5 95 yards out, hit a SW and when the ball hit the green it drew back.  Never seen the ball do that.  Wish I knew for sure how I did it. :-$

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Nothing spectacular during my weekend trip to Northern Michigan. 

My 2 best probably came from bunkers. A fairway bunker 165 yards out, had to hit a cut and landed it soft to about 15 feet. 

The other was a deep bunker about 40 yards out. Hit one that checked up to about 3 feet. Barely made the putt lol

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

• Administrator

3163w.jpg

Maybe this one?

• Like 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Long, narrow par 4.

Tee shot hits a tree and drops into medium rough on the inside lane of a dogleg.  There is a punishing huge tree protecting the dogleg, and between me and the green. 

Perfect contact with the 4h over the tree sends the ball 208 yards to settle 3 feet from the flag.

birdie

1A. Hit a 5W dead-straight at the pin on a 204 yard par-3 and had the ball end up just over the hole five feet away.

1B. Making the testy down-hill putt with just a slight break for a very rare birdie.

I had been struggling with my sand paly all season which has been maddening as I have been decent out of the sand.  So I spent time last week going around the course working on my short game as well as sand shots.  So on to the shot.

Saturday I was hitting the ball really well, my game is starting to come back into form after 2 years of injuries and I had a nice round of potential best shot of the week but this one I was very happy with.  #13 is a Par 3 playing out at 143 all carry, if your short you have a tough shot up hill.  2 sand traps on the left and 3 traps on the right, all tough outs.  Green is slanted heavy back to front and they are fast.  Hit my tee shot and hit it left into the last bunker on the left.  Fried egg pin high.  I dug in and hit a fantastic shot out with about a 10' putt for Par.  I drained the Putt.

That sand shot felt so good, to have been struggling all season with my sand play and to nail that one was so satisfying.  I had multiple nice sand shots on Saturday, but hitting that fired egg and saving Par was just oh so sweet

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

Tee shot on #2. Official length is 380 yards, but it can be shortened considerably by cutting off the dogleg. The first portion of the dogleg is shorter of the two, so a straight tee shot in the fairway leaves 200-220 yards into the green. Cutting the corner brings a bunch of overgrown eucalyptus branches into play if you don’t launch the ball high. I took an aggressive line with a 6-iron, flushed it with a baby draw, and the ball landed in what would be called a “speed slot” on a nice course, and rolled out to 260 yards.

Thinned a partial wedge for my second, hit putter off the fringe on to the green for my third, and then 2-putted from 15 feet for a bogey. 

Edited by Darkfrog

-Peter

Our group plays a 6/6/6 partners game where we change partners every 6 holes.  The team with the lowest ball wins a point and the team with the highest score loses a point.  Ties negate the points.  The last 6 holes Jim and I were partners.  We came to #9 (we started on #10) up a point in our match with Fritz and Marty.  My partner had not hit a good drive and was now in a bunker.

Despite a good tee shot I was 170 to the hole, which was tucked back left behind a large bunker.  I had to clear the cross penalty area (swamp/stream) and attempt to get the ball on the correct side of a ridge that separates the large part of the green from the small area where the hole was located.  I said, "well, we either win this thing or crash and burn."  From a downhill lie, with the ball below my feet I struck a pure 7-wood (yes, I carry a 7-wood).  It hit the ridge and lost a bit of steam, trickled over the ridge and rolled down to 5 feet from the hole.  Rolled in the putt and despite our team having the high score, our low score gave us the match and ...... $2.00.  😉

• Like 1

Brian Kuehn

Saturday, went to a nice 9 hole course 1:45 away.  

Par 4 370 yd with a 45 degree right dog leg.  Down hill grade helped a little, hit a (for me) great drive and watched in fade around the corner.  Ended up being 280 yard drive right in the middle of the fairway !!!

Small problem, right at 280 yds in the middle of the fairway was a small creek running across the fairway.  LMAO...  Sigh....

Nothing like hitting a great drive and finding out it ended up in a water hazard.....

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

• Administrator

Might be the lob wedge I hit here (the link should take you to the 14th hole):

2964167_NL8O5jRf.png

View this round on GAME GOLF

77 yards to a foot or two. Hopped just short/right of the hole and stopped just short left of it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Hole 10 at Stonebridge in Monroe NC.  Easy dogleg right with water covering the right side. Any shot right is in the water except for my horrendous pop up to the right that only traveled about 125 yards or so. My choice is to hit a layup back into the fairway and leave a long approach shot or hit over the water hoping to carry it 165-170 over the water and hopefully end up with a short chip to the green. To add to the dilemma I can’t hit my 4 iron to save my life (it’s my 180 club) and have no confidence in my hybrid or woods. Having just struck a solid 4 iron a few holes ago I decided to go for it and hit the best 4i I’ve hit in a year. Cleared the water with room to spare and set it up perfectly for a possible up and down. 

Tee shot on #3 today. This ~400 yard par-4 from the white tees where I usually play. It is all downhill, and a drive that lands on the steepest downslope on the fairway (about 290 yards from the tee) can easily roll out to within 30 yards of the green. I always consider this hole a birdie hole since a good drive just leaves a short pitch onto the green (my longest drive on this hole around 350 yards). 

Last night I spent some time doing LSW strategy on the hole based on my shot zones. Not sure why I didn't have this epiphany sooner, but I realized that a right miss with driver goes straight into black territory (trees, blackberry and poison oak bushes). My LSW analysis informed me that the widest, safest section of the hole is about 230-250 yards from the tee.

Today I wisely left the driver in the bag, and I hit my hybrid instead. I pushed it a bit right, but because my landing area was in the widest part of the hole, it was fine, and still ended up going about 265 yards with roll.

I was left with a 3/4 pitching wedge from about 120 yards to the pin. Hit the GIR, but 2-putted from about 20 feet.

-Peter

I managed to hole out a 60* wedge from 83 yards for an eagle on the last hole yesterday.  A nice finish to an otherwise unremarkable day.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

On Saturday, the eighth hole of my morning round was the no. 1 handicap hole, a 440-yard par-4 from the blue tees where we played. I bombed a drive (on my standards) and was sitting just inside the 200 marker. I selected a 4H, normally my 190 club, because it’s better to be short than long on that hole, and I killed that one too.

It took off at a lower-than-normal trajectory and ran up onto the green, stopping about ten feet from the pin. Three poor putts later I had a bogey. Would’ve been nice to make a three on that hole, but I hit two solid shots that gave me a reasonable chance, do I guess I can’t complain too much.

• Like 1

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

I formerly considered myself competent from the sand but a few years ago I got in a funk and have struggled a bit.  Naturally, on the 9th hole yesterday I found a bunker.  I had a good lie but was almost 30 yards to the hole, not a common bunker shot for me and certainly my expectations were not great.  I tried to have the clubhead enter the sand as close to the ball as possible and darned if I didn't pull the shot off.  Flew to the green, rolled out another 15 feet to tap in range.

The blind squirrel once again found an acorn. 😉

Edited by bkuehn1952
  • Like 2

Brian Kuehn