IGNORED

Best Shot of the Week

iacas

It went from the worst shot of the week to the best.

9th hole, Par 3, 118 yards. OB right. 9 iron into a stiff wind. Hosel rocket at the trees lining the street. Hits one of them and bounces back toward the green, landing on the top of a greenside bunker. Little pitch that is hit a little too hard but the line is true and it hits the pin, dropping for a birdie that wins the front. 

• Upvote 1

Bill M

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Probably hole #9 at Bedford Spring. Hit a 230-235 yard hybrid to pin high, about 5 yards right of the green. 

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

27 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Probably hole #9 at Bedford Spring. Hit a 230-235 yard hybrid to pin high, about 5 yards right of the green. 

Yeah...definitely a couple really good shots to be next to that green in two, on a soggy day with no roll.  I hit a 244-yard drive and still had 255 to the green.

Edited by Hardspoon

- John

• 2 weeks later...

Crushed a 3W off the tee on the 15th this morning. A week ago when the course was dry the same shot probably rolls out to 5-10 yards short of the green, but recent rain has killed all the roll in the fairways.

E27BE9AA-6C4C-4F7E-BB2F-0CD9F3B32582.thumb.jpeg.19711f735d1a27b780a38676ecf18ffa.jpeg
Thinned my pitch a little bit and bounced just off the back of the green, where I chipped on and 2 putted for a disappointing bogey. 

• Thumbs Up 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Sometimes timing makes a shot particularly satisfying.  Our twosome was following a foursome on a chilly & windy Friday (40 degrees w/ 20 mph breeze).  We were hoping they would let us through and they did on the par 3 7th hole. No one likes to screw up in front of people, even if it is 4 strangers you will never see again.

The hole is not especially difficult on a nice day.  This day the challenge was hitting the right club.  I took 2 extra and made a relaxed swing.  Checked up 10 feet right of the hole.  Rolled the putt in and off we went.

Brian Kuehn

The grip-it and rip-it approach I've employed the last few weeks has had some interesting results.  Last week, I hit my first ever 300-yard drive. Had a couple more drives that were pretty good Saturday at Miami Shores.

Probably the best was on No. 17. It's 299 yards from the tees I was playing (yes I'm playing the senior tees) and my second shot was probably about 20 yards from the center of the green. A 280 yard drive is still very novel feeling for me.

• Upvote 1

This week (Saturday-Saturday), I came close to a hole-in-one twice:

This was with a 56-degree SW on a partially-blind 115-yard par-3:

IMG_1854.JPG

And then, today, this was with a PW on a 135-yard par-3:

IMG_1880.JPG

(and, for @iacas and others who have played with me, I actually have to be clear that I made both putts for birdies)

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

- John

Yesterday, 346 yd par 4. Hooked my drive into the trees in a subconscious "make sure you don't hit the water on the right". Couldn't advance the ball much, punched out to 50 yards. Knocked down a little 50 degree wedge into the wind. Hop, hop, rolled another 2' right into the hole. My best birdie since I started playing again in mid summer.

Knocked it to 5 ft on a mega downhill 170 yard par 3, number 12 on Hills, also known as suicide hill not for what it wants to make you do on the course, but for winter time sledding reasons.....I missed the putt and took par.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

160 yard par-3 12th at Huron Meadows, middle hole location. Strong wind from the right, maybe 20mph.  I hit a solid iron toward the right edge and watched the slight draw combine with the wind.  Ended up 18 inches from the hole.  It would have looked cool on a "shot tracer."

As a bonus, I made the putt.

• Like 1

Brian Kuehn

Second hole - 269 yard Par Four -  Stonemont Course @ Stone Mountain Golf Club.  After bunting a three wood down the middle of the fairway, I hit a nine iron to the front edge, leaving myself a sixty-plus foot putt for birdie.  I took my time and got the line and speed almost perfect, leaving a nine inch tap in for par.

That would be the only highlight of an otherwise miserable day of ballstriking.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Barely above freezing, sleet and drizzle, gusty wind off of L Huron. 143 yds to the pin. Drop 1 1/2 clubs and smooth a knock down 7 iron under the wind. It flies dead straight, no more than 50' off the ground and ends up overhanging the cup. It looked physically impossible it wouldn't drop when I got there. At least I made the birdie putt. lol.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Esox said:

Barely above freezing, sleet and drizzle, gusty wind off of L Huron. 143 yds to the pin. Drop 1 1/2 clubs and smooth a knock down 7 iron under the wind. It flies dead straight, no more than 50' off the ground and ends up overhanging the cup. It looked physically impossible it wouldn't drop when I got there. At least I made the birdie putt. lol.

In those conditions, it is an epic shot!

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Played a late-fall round with @iacas today at Firestone Farms.  I drove the green on the par-4 5th hole...all carry, 250 yards, to ten feet.

I've hit the green on a couple par-4's before, but never from that distance and never that close to the hole.

Did I three-putt for par?  Heck yeah I did.

image.png

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

- John

• Administrator
42 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

Did I three-putt for par?

I would have died with that secret for you if you had asked.

😉

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Today, killed a 3 wood on a down wind dog leg 395 yard par 4.  Has a bit less in than I was looking for, 110 yds quartering wind. My kid, who is in his first year of golfing so I always talk my strategy to him, said I told him " I don't want to try to ease anything here, I'm gonna slide ride ride a gapper".  ( My gapper is a 50 degree F grind) Hung the face open just enough, it hit 3' behind the hole, jumped right, backed up, lipped out, and ended up 4' below the hole. First bird of the day. It only took 11 holes.