IGNORED

Best Shot of the Week

iacas

Hit a nice 3W off the tee on the short par-4 #6 hole today. Ended up about pin high in the left hand rough, and followed it with a great pitch to about 5 feet and then missed the birdie putt.

F1481CD3-9ACE-46B2-8635-014871ABA46C.thumb.png.2dc0fee4e427fd971000be1d1366e47e.png 

Edited by Darkfrog
Format text

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My best shot of the week... month... happened this morning on the Par 5, 15th at Bent Tree Golf Club in Sunbury, OH.

The 15th is a 468ish yard par 5. Forced carry over at least some water, and then the green is guarded by more water. My drive was a little bit left of where I wanted it. Leaving me 185 to the flag, but with the ball in the rough and with a pair of trees and a pond between me and the hole. Initially I was going to hit a safe 7 or 8 iron and put the ball in front of the green in two. Then wedge it on the green and take my chances with the birdie putt. 

Instead, I decided to hit hybrid between the tiny gap in the trees. I hit it perfectly. Hit the front of the green and rolled passed the hole, leaving me about a 9 footer for eagle. I missed the putt, but had less than 3 inches to tap in for birdie. Here's an areal view of the hole and a picture of where my ball came to rest. 

2021-11-17.thumb.jpg.affc31d19c3e1956719b7ae1bd561868.jpgIMG_20211117_102923264.thumb.jpg.4e2f0996c33db6e9c204da18ac43e410.jpg

• Like 3

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• 1 month later...

Never had this happen before….playing Pinehurst #2 with 2 Guests and another Member. Played decent all day, especially the back nine.  Need a par on 18 to shoot 4 over. Hit a great tee shot dead straight down the middle.  Had 138 yards to a back right pin. There was a crosswind breeze, decided to hit a 7 iron and cut it into the wind.  Hit it almost perfectly but it landed just right of the pin and spun off the green into the right bunker.  If you’ve played this hole before you may remember how deep it is. I’m 6’5” and I could just see the surface of the green.  To make matters worse, my ball had rolled off the bunker all the way  to the outside edge leaving me a down slope sand shot to short sided pin.  Par? Heck I just wanted out of the bunker!  Took my stance did a smooth swing and caught it perfectly! Except it was down hill and I couldn’t get much spin on the shot! What happened next was stupid luck. The fourth player in our group was in front of the green chipping up to the green. In a blink of the eye just after I hit my shot and as it started to run from the pin, his ball comes rolling up the green and they collided. My ball stopped 4ft from the cup, and his ball kicked left to maybe 8ft from the cup. We were both surprised, as his ball would have rolled off the back of the green no question.

In the end I sank the putt for a par, he saved bogey!  I’ve never had that happen before!

• 1 month later...

Absolutely massacred my drive on the 17th today. It would have easily gone 300 yards in normal conditions, but with a bit of a tail wind and a good bounce, it ended up around 350. I followed the drive with a pitch to about 10 feet and made the birdie putt.

6A41FC26-7B51-4F46-907A-6D06C14F1EF4.thumb.png.ce30af19a8eb5f426a4c74337db0ad0c.png

• Thumbs Up 2

-Peter

Hit my tee shot on the par-3 #11 exactly as I visualized it, which is rare.

About 180 yards to the hole, a bit downhill, into a crosswind off the left, hole on the front right of the green.

Clubbed down and aimed toward the left edge of the green and let the wind bring the ball back to the flag.

Missed a pretty makeable birdie putt but I was so pleased with the tee shot I didn’t care.

4C4CC9DD-30BB-4D79-BAA6-1B7E1CB5972B.thumb.png.01fbfd3ce9f365eacb08533a5c30f671.png

-Peter

Steel Canyon Golf Club - 4th Hole - Par 3 - 175 Yards

This hole plays significantly downhill, so it plays a bit shorter.  However, it was about 45 degrees with a 10-15 MPH wind in our faces from the left.  I pulled a six iron and took dead aim.  I hit that shot as solidly as I have ever hit a golf shot, and it took off like a rocket cutting through the wind.  It drifted ever so slightly on the wind and landed about ten feet right of the pin and just stuck where it landed.  Burned the edge of the cup with the birdie putt and made par.

Everything else was 💩

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Good going @bwdial.  That place is one of my regular haunts.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

My best shot was right after my worst. I hit a poor drive and had an awful lie in the right rough. Couldn't get the club through it and hit a shank that went dead right, headed OB, but the ball hit the fence and stayed on campus. I had 130 to the pin and hit a solid 8 iron into the wind to five feet. One-putt par. Easy game. 😎 

Bill M

On 2/13/2022 at 10:22 PM, Piz said:

Good going @bwdial.  That place is one of my regular haunts.  

I take lessons from Chris Therrell there.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

1 hour ago, bwdial said:

I take lessons from Chris Therrell there.

A word about #8.  It's haunted.  They are friendly spirits but mischievous.  Toss them a golf ball, by way of an offering, once in a while.  Do not expect immediate results.  The wood nymphs have long memories but are not very tech savvy.  It takes them a day or so to process things.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

• 2 months later...

On Wednesday last week I was playing a practice round for a tournament we play out in Vegas every year. More of a warm up round really as we play the tournament at Bear's Best, but we played this round at Angel Park. We were playing the Mountain course. Number 13 on the Mountain Course is a par 5 that plays about 500 to 520 yards from the blue tees. The fairway of 13 is raised up some 10-15 feet above the neighboring fairway to the left. In addition, there is a 10 foot high berm added on the tree line to separate the two fairways. (I've noted the berm on the picture with some yellow shading.) 

I tried to play a fade down the left side of the fairway. I slightly over-cooked my drive and, by some act of kindness from the golf gods, field goaled it between two of the trees on the left. It went over the berm and down the bank on the other side across the cart path and ended up in the first cut on the other fairway. The carts at Angel Park have GPS in them. The GPS said 254 to the flag. I didn't think I could get there but wanted to get as close as possible. I climbed up the berm, picked a tree between me and the hole. Climbed back down, aimed above that tree and hit 3-wood as hard as I could. 

You know how when you really try to step on a club you usually end up making a crappy swing and all kinds of bad stuff happens? Well, that didn't happen here. Instead, I smoked it dead straight, right over the tree I was aiming at. I knew it was pretty good. When me and the guy that was in the cart with me came up over the berm, the other two guys were applauding. Sure enough the shot came to rest less than 2 feet from the cup. Leaving me a very easy kick in eagle. 

Best shot of the week and my first eagle of the season. 

1444592230_No13atAPMountain.thumb.jpg.2675b3a532a413d9af673402e97ba312.jpg

Edited by ChetlovesMer
punctuation
  • Funny 1
  • Upvote 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Played yesterday. First hole is a pretty long par 4, for me.  Drive wasn't great, then hit a 5 wood, as there was a fairway bunker with some higher ground in front of me, and my three wood can go pretty low, and wouldn't reach anyway.  So, I was in the middle of the fairway, lasered the pin at 80 yards.  Over a greenside bunker, but near the back of the green, so that should not be a problem.  Figured a full swing, though not "hard" swing with my 58 would be right at the hole.  I was wrong, it was about 8 inches short.  Too bad the rest of the day wasn't that good, though it wasn't awful.

Hit 2 comparable shots of the week. On #2 I hit a nut job 4 iron at the par 3. Ball landed a couple feet short right of the pin and skipped back to around 15 ft. Downhill with some bend tho and wasn’t able to get the ball to threaten the hole. Still made a 3. Then at #5 I hit a 6 iron at the par 3. Played it exactly as I had planned. I started it a few feet left of the stick. Faded it in. Landed short and skipped toward the front pin location. Had it around 10 feet but the putt missed high. Still and easy 3. I’ll give honorable mention to my 2nd at 4. Ball above my feet. I was able to hit a 3/4 9 iron that I started a little right of the stick that turned over for me a little bit. Landed about 5 feet right of the stick. Another birdie putt I just didn’t get close to hitting the hole tho.

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

On 5/2/2022 at 3:21 PM, jlbos83 said:

Played yesterday. First hole is a pretty long par 4, for me.  Drive wasn't great, then hit a 5 wood, as there was a fairway bunker with some higher ground in front of me, and my three wood can go pretty low, and wouldn't reach anyway.  So, I was in the middle of the fairway, lasered the pin at 80 yards.  Over a greenside bunker, but near the back of the green, so that should not be a problem.  Figured a full swing, though not "hard" swing with my 58 would be right at the hole.  I was wrong, it was about 8 inches short.  Too bad the rest of the day wasn't that good, though it wasn't awful.

So, Friday I was playing a different course.  Par five. A bit of a dogleg right off the tee, so a straight long drive finds a fairway bunker (though I don't hit it that far often, as the years go by).  I do hit a decent fade into the fairway, then one of my better three woods (maybe 210) to the middle of the fairway, again 80 yards to the flag.  The same swing with my 58 degree wedge, and I am about ten inches from the hole.  And I made the putt.  So, now I know where I need to put the ball!

But there is competition, Thursday in our afternoon league I was 115 out on another Par 5, and hit the pin with my pitching wedge, and made the 18 inch birdie putt.  So that was nice!

Now if I could just make two and three foot putts....

Yesterday, 2nd shot on a long par 4 178 yards from pin , green is 21' uphill,  and slightly down and across an 8-10mph wind. Pull the 9 wood and hit a towering, lazy, ride the wind fade starting about 10 yards left of the green. It hits the green on a downslope, and continues back and across towards the pin. Comes to rest 4' behind the pin. Left the downhill putt 6" short. Of course......

• 2 weeks later...

I likely won’t be playing any golf this weekend, so I’ll go ahead and post. This was from last Saturday.

One of my coworkers and I played two holes after work. We went up to the reds on the par-3 second hole (playing about 95 yards that day) and hit our shots from there. I tried to take a little off a 50 degree and thinned it over the top of the flag and over the green.

Then I plopped down another ball and decided to try a full swing 54 degree. Flushed it, and I saw it take one bounce right by the pin, then disappear. We practically sprinted up to the green and sure enough, there my ball was in the cup.

Not sure if this counts as a true hole in one, but it was cool to make that shot!

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

After a great drive on a long par 5 I found myself 237 to the front into a 5 to 8 mile an hour breeze.  No 3 wood in the bag, I tried to hit a low running draw with my 5 wood.  Overcooked it and hit a tree well short and left, bouncing backwards into ankle deep rough. Got lucky and found the bright red Vice Pro nestled way down in the rough, 101 yards out. Took a mighty slash at it with my recently purchased 44 degree Cleveland CBX wedge I got because I wasn't happy with my OEM Titleists ability to spin the ball.  The ball came out high and straight at the pin. Hit 3 feet short of the hole. Stopped 6' behind it. In an unusual turn of events I made the putt. Best bird of the season thus far. 

First round of the year and I hadn't really straightened out my driver over the first 12 holes, but 13th hole comes up and its playing as a 260 yard par 4.  Safe play is to keep it short and right along the fairway for a fairly easy approach, straight towards the green is protected by 2 large bunkers right in front, with a small strip of rough between them.  I figure what the hell and pull out the driver, hit it bullet straight for the first time, lands perfectly on that small strip of rough between the two bunkers and pops up onto the green.  Two putts for my first birdie of the year

-Eric