IGNORED

Best Shot of the Week

iacas

Birdied our number 2 handicap, par 4 hole #13 that was playing 427 yards to an elevated green. 260 yard drive in the fairway, but the best shot was my choked down 5 iron that left me a 4 foot uphill put.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On the 7th hole... which was going down the toilet... I just hit a 5W approach shot for my 3rd shot into the par 4 and put it pin high in the right rough about 65 feet from the hole. I got out my 27 degree hybrid and lined up the shot and played the break. I holed out to save par. lmao.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 2

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I thought I was going to say my 8i tee shot on #15 today that resulted in a tap-in birdie, but after reviewing my round, best shot of the week is going to my 2nd on #17:

50E2B637-AF8F-438F-8185-B34799310B60.png

This ball was sitting on hard pan and a good foot above my feet. I choked down almost to the metal and tried to draw it around the trees back towards the fairway. I figured at worst I was going to dribble it somewhere back on the hole and play my 3rd shot from there. I posted up left and made an arms only swing. Ended up puring it with no noticeable curve and ended up just to the right of the middle of the green.

• Thumbs Up 2

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

No question by best shot was on hole 4 last night. My tee shot was struck perfectly and travelled 304 yards, giving me an easy chip/pitch on and uphill 5 footer for birdie. Turned out to be the only good tee shot I'd hit the rest of the night. 124855463_2022-07-14(1).jpg.c3b6c1f07e07684771ddc35b3239058c.jpg

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Do you want spectacular for this? 

1) 6th hole: my high PW tee shot on a short par 3 landed just short of the flag and bounded off the back of the green into the tall fescue about 30 yds from the flag. I used a 54 wedge, opened the club face a lot and hit a high flop shot that stuck about 2 feet from the hole and allowed me to save par.

2) A 48' Texas Wedge chip on the 15th hole that dropped in to save DB. 

Pick one.

• Thumbs Up 2

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

• 2 weeks later...

Playing the #1 handicap hole, a long uphill par 4, I hit a good drive that gave me a rare look to the green. I hit a solid 5 wood that went past the pin and off to the side into a shaved area, about 10-12 feet off the green. I was about 40 feet from the pin and hit a beautiful pitch and run that was, at worst, going to be a couple feet from the pin, but it went in. Nice birdie on the #1 hole.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill M

Playing the 13th, 600+yd par 5, hit my 4 hybrid pin high to about 20 feet 175 yards into the breeze. The sort of shot that has you coming back for more.

Also playing 9 during the same round, a 148 yard 9 iron to just over 3 feet. Immediately followed by the worst shot of the day not even hitting the hole with the putt. 

Okay, this one is going to be tough to beat. 

277543223_2022-07-28(2).png.b03f9af66c6ba5065177a25b0e13f3aa.png

In an effort to keep my tee shot from finding the water, I blocked my driver to the right and ended up in some trees. I was 150 out with a tree between me and the hole. (2 trees, technically.) I decided to draw an 8-iron around the trees. Picked a line which had me essentially aiming straight down the cart path. Then I hit my best 8-iron draw. My ball landed right of the flag just a bit less than hole high. It bounce toward the hole and rolled to about 1-1/2 inches from falling in the cup. Walked up, fixed my pitch-mark, which was about 5-6 feet from the hole, and gently tapped in the easiest birdie putt I can remember. 

Definitely one of the top five 8-iron shots I've ever hit, and my shot of the week. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

greenback_12th_arccos.jpeg

12th at Greenback at Heron Lakes in Portland, OR. Alongside my primary mechanical work I try to keep in the mix the weight shift back and then initiation of the swing with the body before A4. On 11 I felt a little extra static at the top and on this tee was just feeling the flow. Driver 326 yard baby draw right where I was aiming into a light wind (not really hurting, just def there was no help on this shot) and the fairways were soft for July so I couldn't see but probably not a ton of rollout.

One of the guys I was playing with said "wow" right after contact. The other guy said, "It didn't even look like you were swinging hard." They're both regulars and also noted when we got up to the ball that they've never seen anyone come that close to the green before :-)

Of course my 60˚ was not great that day so I hit a bad pitch and didn't make the 25-30 footer.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Hole 16 on my home course: 

A 340 yards par 4, into a slight breeze, downhill, dogleg right. The hole narrows a lot where the dogleg starts around 120 yards fro mthe green. Not a driver hole, so I hit a 7 iron, struck it great and hit the middle of the fairway with just 135 yards left. The green is situated down by a Lake, is around 7-8 yards downhill from where my ball lies, and is a MacKenzie green with running from right to left (the water) . The shot here here is to land a wedge a bit short of the green and let it feed in. The pin was place far right on the lower level only 3 yards from the water. I picked an aimingspot on the right half of the green and tried to land my AW just a little short of the green. Executed to perfection, the ball landed 4 yards short of the green and took 1 bounce to get on and startet to release left towards the MacKenzie, It had just enough speed to reach the edge and accellerated down the slope towards the hole. The speed down the slope towards the hole was perfect and it fell in at the heart of the cup without even touching the flag. After this some jumping around and shouting followed.

Probably the sickest shot I've made in my life. 

Bilderesultat for hull 16 norsjø

Open photo

• Like 1

In the bag: Callaway Mavrik SZ 10,5 driver (X stiff), Cobra King 4 wood (Stiff, 2006 model), Callaway Mavrik irons 4 - P+A (stiff), Cobra King Pur wedges 52, 56 and 60 (stiff) and Odessey white steel putter.  Very happy with the set and the gapping. 

75 ft left to right bomb for par on the 18th that dropped dead centre of the cup, ensuring I come back again next week after a particularly uninspiring round where I made 3 others pars on difficult holes and made a complete mess of the rest.

One of those putts that you know is going to be close as soon as you make the stroke.

image.thumb.png.aa55cd707a1511625211e911be35fd41.png

After reading LSW, this 185 yd 6i stood out to me this week. Flag marked  with the yellow dot. Into the wind, I chose a club and shot center (red dot) that put most of my shot zone on the green, and even slightly overlapping the right rough.

This is a pin that I absolutely would have taken dead aim at 2 weeks ago, even if I had aimed somewhat right of the target, I can guarantee it wouldn't have been enough and probably brought the sand into play. I struck it absolutely on the screws and probably landed the ball within a yard of my shot center, leaving myself a 40 foot birdie putt that I 3 putted :doh: 

Funny b/c 2 holes later I chose a similarly off target shot center, and hit it somewhat poorly and ended up with a 6 foot birdie putt.

:whistle:

• 1 month later...

Best shot this week was my 5-iron tee shot on the par-3 #11, leaving a tap in birdie. This hole is the first in a section of the course we call "hold on corner", with three hard tee shots in a row, and most days I am pleased to be walking to the next hole with a bogey.

The ball settled closer than 2.16 feet as shown by the shotscope, my estimate was 15-18 inches based on how many grip lengths the ball was from the hole (~1.5). My group told me it was good, but I putted it in anyways.

image.thumb.png.732491dfa549578d58d926dba73103f8.png

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Simulator round (I know, I know), but still. 

18th at Wentworth. After a drive of 269 in the fairway, I absolutely pured my 3 hybrid (220 carry) on the right center of the green, it took the slope and finished 11 feet from the hole. Missed the eagle putt but had a tap in birdie. 

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

I still remember the great feel of my last full shot at Stonebridge last week.  Our last hole was the par-5 14th hole. There is quite a bit of trouble in play on this hole. A solid drive and a careful 2nd put me in fine position for my approach.  The hole was on the back terrace. A steep slope & water guards the left of the long narrow green. Anything left is wet. Right is mounding and sand bunkers. Right leaves a difficult up and down as the green slopes away from you. Long is down a slope and OB. Short leaves a long putt up a large slope. A slight breeze was coming from the right. I wanted to hit my shot at the right edge and take the slope to the hole. I hit my 9-iron pure. The slight draw and breeze brought the ball down exactly where I had hoped/planned. My ball bit and then rolled down the slope. From where I was, it looked like it might go in (no such luck). Yes, I missed the 8-footer coming back up the slope but it didn't take anything away from my approach shot.

Brian Kuehn

Two down on the front after six holes. Seven is the #1 handicap hole, 420 yards uphill, and tough for me due to my lack of length. I had 210 left with a bunker on the left that required around 180 to carry, and another greenside on the right, but there is a slight opening where I could run something up. I usually lay up short of the left bunker in this circumstance and rely on my short game, but I had to take the chance. I aimed at the right edge of the left bunker and hit a solid, cut three wood. It landed parallel to the left bunker and scampered up onto the green and right at the pin. I had a 15 footer and made par, as did my opponent, but I was getting a shot and won the hole. Ended up halving the front with a birdie on the short ninth. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill M

Today. 166 yard par 3, playing almost dead into a 15 mph wind. Ball striking wasn't at its best today, so rather than playing a knock down  I figured I'd just hit a standard 6 iron and let the BXS balloon and that would knock the distance off. It did. Ball  pitched  4'  from the hole, and pretty much stopped dead, pulling back about 8"  from where it hit.