IGNORED

Best Shot of the Week

iacas

Was at the Peninsula in Gulf shores Alabama. On the marsh course #3, a par 4, 430 yrds, my second shot was 182yrds out from the pin, hitting into a slight breeze. I pulled out a 4 iron, struck the ball nice and high, bounced once, then into the hole. It was AWESOME. Never done anything like that before. Was playing with two friends. I always said, i never wanted to make a hole in one or a shot like that with a bad shot that just luckily rolls in.. It was picture perfect.

3 awesome shots yesterday...

1) this one came after a 'bad' swing - 12th hole, 500yd par 5, water along right hand of green and last 75yd of fairway, fairway slopes from left to right. Hit a 290yd drive and had 210yd left to a the middle with a front left pin location. Figured I'd hit a 'baby' cut, play about 10 yards left of front and let the slope of the fairway bring the ball back to the right. Well, I misjudged the amount of fade the fairway slope would add to the shot and it went just to the right of the green into the water (had the distance). Now I'm POed, I could've dropped up there and tried to get up and down from about 15-20yds and try and save par. Instead, I decided to 'tin-cup' it and dropped right there. I hit the same club, but aimed 10 yards further left. Hit basically the exact same shot and nailed it. Ball bounces and kicks left to 4 ft. from the pin. I make the putt (broke 8 inches in 4 ft, left to right) and saved par .

2) 16th hole, put my approach shot in the left, back bunker. Pin was front right with water in front and to the right of the green. Green is 2 levels and slopes severely downhill towards the water in front. Aim my bunker shot 10 ft. left of the hole and splash it out. It stops 2 ft. short of the ridge and stays on the top level. When I'm lining up my putt (10 footer, downhill, breaks about 6 ft), one of my playing partners says, "would that putt be easier if there was a windmill or a clown's mouth to go through"? Well, I quietly joke about my last mini-golf outing (3 holes-in-one) and think, "yeah, I can make this". Well, I aimed on my line 6 ft left, hit about a 2 ft. putt and then it broke downhill, came right, then back slightly left at the end (just like I read it) and went in the hole with perfect speed and saved par again . All 3 other guys were like, WOW, unbelievable putt.

3) 18th hole, had just played the last 6 holes in one-under (5 pars, 1 birdie, see items 1 & 2 above). 375yd par 4, water all along right hand side, dog-leg left to right. I play a safe 3 wood to the left side. I hit a 9-iron, trying to land the ball on the top left of a 2-levels green with water on the right and pin tucked back, right about 4 yards from a drop-off into the water. I pushed my approach a little to the right and it catches the bank and bounces towards the water. I couldn't see the landing area, but my partner told me it may have gone in the hazard. We get up there and the ball is pin-high, but just inside the hazard line, sitting on a patch of semi-soft mud. Pin is about 8 yards away and I'm 4 ft below the level of the green. This is the lower level of the green, so there is a good slope past the hole. I play a 'chunk' from the mud and chip it 2 ft. past the hole and it rolls out another 10-12 ft. up the hill. At this point, my playing partners were like, "oh...nice shot, tough lie, etc". But, they didn't realize my plan. I knew the slope would bring it back and it rolled just up to the top of the hill and then slowly came back down and then trickled back and came to rest 3 inches to the left of the hole. They were like wow and I tapped in to save par .

Oh, I also had a nice birdie on the 15th, 165yard par 3 to another 2 level green over water, pin back left. Put the tee shot to 8 ft. and made the slight right to left putt for a nice birdie, too.

Ended up shooting an 82 with a -1 for the last 7 holes. This was most encouraging, since quite often I won't end strong. Also satisfying, since it was a mix of routine pars, a good birdie, and some really nice up and downs. I've been working on my short game alot and it definitely paid off.

In my :nike:  bag on my :clicgear: cart ...

Driver: :ping: G10 9*    3-Wood: :cleveland: Launcher
Hybrid: :adams: 20* Hybrid      Irons: :ping: i5 4-GW - silver dot, +1/2"
Wedges: :cleveland: 56* (bent to 54*) and 60* CG10     Putter: :ping: Craz-e (original blue)

I was on an 126-yard par 3, and it's raining hard outside. I set up, swing. It's lookin good, it's rolling towards the cup, and TOO much power. Hits the pin and rolls a few feet to the right, and i tap in for a birdie.

:)

5-iron from about 185-190, the second shot of a (fairly short) par-5. The green was elevated, and I had to hit over water. Got within 20 feet. It was just one of those solid golf shots that felt good. Don't ask about the eagle putt. Don't ask about the birdie put either.

Also, I hit a pitch shot on another hold (from about 20 yards) to within a foot. That one was nice because my short game is definitely my weak spot (see paragraph above).

had 2 again today... both were sheer luck...

first was on a par3 185 forced carry over water... used my 4h... thinned it... skipped across the water and hopped up about 5yrds from the green... musta hit a turtle or something...

2nd one was a 50ft putt that i didnt even line up... i was just trying to lag it as close as i could so that my 2nd putt would be an easy par... it didnt lag... it went in for a bird
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

I have to say my best shot this week was on a 471 yard par 4;

After a poor drive i had 230 yards to the pin, slightly uphill, bunker in front of the green, water right, hurting wind.

It was the last hole and I felt like getting in on in 2. Hit a 3-wood so crisp got it within 10 feet. Didn't make the putt for bird but it was just pure.

I had one today in an otherwise forgettable 9 holes.

Longish par 4. Smoked my drive and was a short pitch off the green. (30 yards or so out.) I came up short on the pitch and landed myself in a greenside sand trap with shot 2 and needed to get out and placed well to even hope for bogey. The sand traps today were rock hard and I knew I would have to pick it almost clean to have any chance at a decent recovery. I line up and settle in and swing nice and smooth. The ball pops up and out with only the merest trace of contact between club and sand. I watch incredulously as the ball rolls within 6 inches of the cup and stops.

Dad looked up, shook his head and called out to me "I don't think you need to putt that one. I am pretty sure it's a gimme."

I will be trying to forget a goodly part of today's round, but that shot was truly heartwarming.

Jack Lee

In my bag:
Taylormade SLDR 430 10.5 degree driver

Cobra sz hyper steel 3 wood
A7 19 degree hybrid
Taylormade 2008 TP irons 4 through pw

Mizuno JPX 52, 56, 60 degree wedges

White hot XG #9 putter

420 yard par 4
Sliced my drive a bit into the rough just beside a bunker. There was a few trees in front of me and i still had a long way from the hole.
I pulled out the 3h and smoked it right over the trees one bounce on to the green and came to a stop about 15 feet from the hole.
I missed the birdie and tapped in for par.

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that.

had an absolutely horrendous round today... but on the first hole i managed to chip one in far a par no putt... the rest of the round im gonna try to forget

A low 7-iron punch out from under tree branches about 90 yds onto to the green. (After a botched 3-wood tee shot, ironically the club that I'd been hitting well beforehand.)

There was no way I could use a gap or SW, so I had to hit a de-lofted iron.

A shot I don't practice much, and which has the potential to devolve into disaster. But it's such a valuable one to have in the repertoire. This week it worked, and helped me par the ninth hole:

McGolf-Doggie's stand bag & new and used club emporium:
Putter :ping: 1/2Craz-e | Irons :TaylorMade: RAC MB, 4i-PW (DG S300) |Wedges :Cleveland: SW&LW 56*DSG+RTG; 60*/4* DSG+RTG |Woods :Cobra: S1 5W; Adams TIght Lies 3W |Driver :TaylorMade: Burner 9.5 Fujikura Reax S | Maxfli Practice

had a few goodies. on 18 hit a 270 yard strike just over a nasty fairway bunker then hit a wood for my 2nd shot about 220 yards to get on the closing 5 in 2. then some rolled the 12 to 15 footer in for E A G L E! Sweet! only my 3rd ever. those shots not only were a great way to finish around but also pulled me even with my buddy. we both shot an 82. but the shot that definitely saved my round was my 2nd after an errant drive on the par 4 16th. had to punch out from the rough under a tree and rolled it right up to the green. chipped on and made a 8 footer for par. great round today...

In my Sun Mountain MPB bag:
Burner 07 9.5w/ Prolaunch Red
SZ Fairway Woods 4+ and 7
Rescue TP 3 hybrid
200 series irons 4-pwcg11 wedges 52*,56*,60*White Hot 2-BallDT RollHome Course: www.bodegaharbourgolf.com/

last night on the 249 yard par-4 4th hit 6 iron off the tee 150 leaving myself 100 in. then hit a pitching wedge 100 yards to within 2 feet! made birdie! unfortunately it was 1 of only 2 birdies in my round and i shot 91!

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

This is my First post after reading the threads on here for the past few days. I've only been playing for the last 2 years since my parents moved into an "active adult", ahem, retirement community at Sea Oaks in NJ. I wanted to hold onto my baseball swing as long as possible, but now that I'm 27 I figured Joe Torre doesn't want me playing for him after all. :)

My dad and I started playing when i visit him. Last year was chock full of 14s and 16s per hole. (Don't worry, we always make sure we're the last tee time on the course so we don't hold up any players, or we let people play through if there are other people behind us.) Well, I would say we have been getting a round in every month or 2. Took my first lesson last weekend. It went very well. This weekend we played the front 9 at Sea Oaks, I shot a 59 and, here's what I'm most impressed with myself about...the ball I started with was the ball I ended with! i didn't even lose 1 ball. (i average about 4-5 balls lost per round. haha, there's a statistic for ya.) Also, I got to the green on both par 3s off my first stroke. (Ended with a 5 and a 6, but I'm working on the putting. I'm just happy to be getting the balls in the air consistently. I only topped 2 of them the entire day.) The worst hole I had was an 8 on the 9th hole and most of them were between 5-7 shots. By the end of the year I hope to have my first par!!!

What's In The Bag?

Driver - FT-i 10° Neutral Graphite Stiff
Fairway Metal - N/A
Irons - X-20 3-9 Std Steel Wedges - X-20 PW, AW, SW Std Steel Putter - White Hot XG #1 35" Bag - Ball - Loco

Keep it up Marshmellaw!

Yesturday, I was 2 under on the back nine going into 18 (2 over total). I was stoked because I haven't shot an under par round yet this year, on either 9 or 18. So I played it safe. 4 iron off the tee, 6 iron in, 2 putt.....easy right? Well, I hit my 4 iron about 220 off the tee, but just off the fairway. So I had a 5 iron in, about 200 out and had to make sure I got over the bunker in front of the flag on the right side of the green (water all in front and right of green, and fountain behind). So I put it in the sand. Calling this sand would be generous. It is more like clay. So I tried to dig my 60* into it, but still couldn't, and scolded it past into the fountain. I have never been so close to tossing one of my clubs in the lake as I was yesturday!!!! So I take my drop and stroke, and pissed off just go up and hit my 5th shot quick. It was about a 15 yard chip, braking to the right down hill. Sure enough, it goes in to save bogey. Everyone in my group was happy for me.....me......I just go to my cart, grab my bag and walk to my car. After the fact, it was a great way to save my 1 under for the back.

In my r7 bag:

Driver:r7 460
3 wood:r7
hybrid:burnerirons:320 serieswedges:TP Rac Z 56*, 60*putter:Circa 62 #3balls:prov1x

after duck hooking my drive a whopping 25 feet... yes not yards... but 25 feet...
i promptly pulled out my 3w and hit a hulk shot 235... not feet that time... whew

yesterday hit the green on a 200 yd par 3 with my 3 hybrid and just missed about a 12 ft birdie putt by inches. Had a couple good chips too. Came up short on a 3rd shot on par 5 with my sand wedge, chipped from about 20 yards to within 2 feet and saved par. On a par 4 missed the green with my second shot and chipped to within a foot and got par. And on the last hole, hit my 2nd shot too far, chipped under a tree back onto the green and made about a 15 ft putt to save par, best ive played in a long time.

In my bag
Driver-top flite cannon 460 cc 10.5 deg, reg flex
3 Wood-ACUITY GOLF RCX 14°
3h-warrior golf tcp 20°
4h-warrior golf tcp 23°5h-warrior golf tcp 26° 6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 SERIES irons steel shafts regular flex56° sw-tour seriesram puttergolf balls-intech beta ti

had a couple good shots today. drove the green on two recommended lay up par fours. made birdie and par. stuck a nine iron 8 foot on a par 4 but still made par

In my Sun Mountain MPB bag:
Burner 07 9.5w/ Prolaunch Red
SZ Fairway Woods 4+ and 7
Rescue TP 3 hybrid
200 series irons 4-pwcg11 wedges 52*,56*,60*White Hot 2-BallDT RollHome Course: www.bodegaharbourgolf.com/