IGNORED

Best Shot of the Week

iacas

My last round (Sunday), I had a few different shots that were my 'makes me wanna come back' shots:

1. Playing my absolute favorite hole (a short par 3 overlooking a distant reservoir with colorful sailboats dotting the water) I hit a smooth 8 iron but pulled it just a bit. It ended up about 50 feet left of the hole... but I lined it up perfectly and had the speed necessary... and I dropped it for birdie.

2. Later in the round, another par 3... this one with a 175+ carry over a mess... I put my 6 iron approach JUST left of the green, but pin-high. The end result was a par... but the tee shot felt really good.

3. Early in my round, I had made a mess of a fairly easy par 4. It requires only about a 75 yard carry over a 'ditch'... but I managed to put 2 balls in there off the tee. For my 5th shot... I slowed my swing down TOO much and the ball faded instead of drawing, leaving me in some nasty fescue. A playing partner of mine found my ball there, and I had no shot so I punched a 5 iron out of there into the fairway. I then managed to have a mid-swing argument with myself in my head and pushed my next shot well short of the green. Finally, I got over my 8th shot... pulled a sand wedge... and hit a gorgeous, high shot that hit... bounced once... and stopped. Left me about 4 feet to the hole. Yep - I missed the putt and ended up with a 10. That was one of two holes which I carded a 10 that day en route to a 106.

Fun stuff when you think about the GOOD shots... not so fun when you end up remembering all the shots that surrounded them.

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Tuesday night
84 degrees muggy
Walking while pushing Sun Mountain cart and my bag
exactly at the 100 yd marker
right rough with a +60 ft tree 20 yds directly in front of me
uphill lie, ball up in the grass
choked down and kept my swing compact
Up and over with room to spare
30 ft 2 putt par big drink of water

FORE!

Cleveland CG7 3-PW fitted, stiff shafts
Hand me down putter, Jack Nicklaus model
Cleveland Hibore 3 wood 13 deg. stiff shaftCleveland Launcher 9 deg, stiff shaft

Mine came a couple days ago on a 505 yard par-5. Had about 200 in and I was in light rough above a fairway bunker. Hacked it out and low and rolled it about 20 yards up to 20 feet. Made the 20 footer for eagle!
Spec's Bag
Driver: 8.5* R7 425
3 Wood: 15.0* 980F
Irons (3-P): S59 Black Dot +1/2
Weges (52, 56, 60): SM56-10Putter: Studio Style NewportBall: ProV1

last hole of the round... #18 par5 578... crescent shaped dogleg rt with undulating fw's and water trouble in front and left of the green...
really windy today... swirling wind gusting at about 25-30mph...
teed the ball really low... and since it was the last hole i went for the fences...
hit a laser that had the weirdest flight ive ever seen outside of baseball... it went in a counterclockwise corkscrew... even the guy i was paired with commented on it
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

1st hole - 395yd. Par 4

Had to lay up off the tee before a big pond with a 3 wood; left me with about 175yds.

Hit a flush 5 iron that landed on the front of the green and rolled up to about 3ft. Nice birdie to start the round.
The sticks:
Driver: r5 10.5° Stiff N
3 wood: 980f 15°
Irons: RAC OS 4-9
Wedges: 48° & 56°, SV 60°Putter: TracyBall: NXT Tour

Played 9 holes on an easy par 3 course today. Got my first par ever - 140ish yards to the green, I pulled out what I thought was my 9 iron but was my PW. Didn't realize til after my shot, but I hit it dead straight to about 5 feet from the edge of the green. Pitched onto the green about 3 feet from the cup, finished with an easy putt. Pretty good for me. If I'd hit the same shot with an 8 or 9 iron I might've gotten a birdie.

In the blue Colts bag:

Driver - FT-5 10°
Hybrids - 4DX 15.5°, 20°
Irons/Wedges - CI-7 4-GW, SW | "Free" Warrior 60° LWPutter - TiffanyBalls - various

Had a few this week as I had a good round on Friday. Best would probably have to be on a par 5. Hit a good drive and then proceeded to try a nice layup with a 5 wood only to pull it left, hit a tree branch and drop in the rough. I get up to it to find I am 213 and now have to hit the 5 again. Pins in the middle, but up a ridge with sand short and right of the green. I aim at the sand hoping to be short of it and try and get up and down. I hit the 5 a little thin and it comes out low, hot and with a little draw. It lands where I wanted to end up rolls up the ridge and ends up 3ft. behind the hole. Only birdie of the day and could have been much worse. I had 5 shots like this that saved about as many strokes.

In my Bagboy cart bag:
Driver: TM R11s 10.5 R-flex 3W: TM 09 Burner 3H: TM 09 Burner Irons: TM Tour Burner 4-PW r-flex
Wedges: Wilson TW9 GW, Ping Eye 2+ SW, Vokey SM 58.08      Putter:TM Rossa Spider Ball: TM TP/Red LDP, TF Gamer v2   Range Finder: GX-I

#4 at Bedrock in Rutland, MA. Nice little par 3 over some water and a couple bunkers. Aggressive shot over a bunker to 4 feet. Missed the birdie putt (of course). On the other par 3 I also made a good shot to about 6 feet. And missed the quick, sliding putt.

I had a few.

Hole 10- hit a nice 9 iron from about 150 out, pin in the back of the green, hit behind the pin and spun back a little bit to rest about 6 feet. Made the birdie.

Hole 7- Hit a beastly gap wedge from 120 out, about 10 yards over the green. Chip was on a side hill, with a big fringe, and little green to work with. Chip landed softly on the last part of the fringe, and rolled to about 2 inches. Tapped in for the par.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

Had a 25 foot putt to get a birdie to finish off my 9-hole round. Scored a 49... eek... but the putt was so nice I didn't really care, haha.

Driver Cleveland HiBORE XLS 9.5°

Hybrid 3I Adams A7

Irons 3-PW Wilson Air Power

Wedges Cleveland CG10 52° Chrome, Cleveland Reg. 588 56° Chrome, Cleveland Reg. 588 60° Gunmetal

Putter Cleveland Classic #3

Best Score 80 (+8) - July 22, 2011 @ Highland Woods Golf Course (Blue Tees - 71.7/122)

My sucker shot (the shot per round that keeps me coming back) was the drive on a flat 484 yard par 5 that ended up next to the 150 yard marker. It was 80 yards further than my average drive on that hole. I wish I knew how I did that.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

best shot: Hole number seven. Straight par 3, 165 yards, bunkers on right, past bunkers is hay (links style course) and past that it is beaten down dead grass. There is also a 20 ft elevation change. Pin cut super close to the right. I was in the beaten down grass, 20 yards away. Totally blind. Hit it high over, landed just on the green, and released a yard past the pin. Tapped in to save par

Oh, and I also hit a 240 yard 3 wood off the deck

Sasquatch 460 10.5
X 3 wood
X 4H
X-22's 5-PW
X Forged 52, 58 Black Series #1 Tour i X Series stand bag

Layed up on a par 5 after a pretty poor drive. 132 yards to the pin right in the middle, and the green slopes from left to right. Hit a beautiful PW to about 3 feet. Got my birdie =/

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

Tiger Woods style for me today.

We have a 328 yard par 4, the 17th. Big pine and eucalyptse trees in the way. A lake guards the left side and front of the green. To carry the lake to attack the front of the green is probably about 275. It was playing slightly downwind and the tees were in the perfect place. Nuked one to a back pin. Stopped about 18 feet from the hole. Putt a good putt on the eagle attempt, had the right line, just didn't start the putt on it... bleh. Tap in birdie though.
Layed up on a par 5 after a pretty poor drive. 132 yards to the pin right in the middle, and the green slopes from left to right. Hit a beautiful PW to about 3 feet. Got my birdie =/

Solid birdie! There's plenty of ways to make birdie. I'm comfortable attacking par 5s as three-shot holes. Makes the game fun and levels the playing field with the long-bombers.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

430ish yard par 4. Hit a real crappy 3 wood into the thick right rough. With a less than ideal lie and about 175 yds to the green with about 10 ft of elevation i decided to go Tiger Woods style and bomb one out of the rough onto the front of the green. I two putted but a great shot nonetheless.

Notes: usually hit my 6i 200yds.... first post

first hole managed to get myself in the greenside bunker... had barely any green to work with... opened the face of my sw so it was looking at the sky... thumped it... ball popped up and hit the flag dropping a foot away for an easy tap in par
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

Two shots this week...

Playing the new ' Wine Valley Golf Club' in my hometown of Walla Walla, WA. This course just opened and it's really cool. Designed by the same guy who did 'Bandon Crossings'. Links style course carved into the rolling hills of wheat fields. Anyway, on to the shots...

#1 - Hit my drive into a 'waste area' on #5 (460yds) that runs the whole length of the left side of the fairway and then cuts diagonal about 60yds short of the green and then up the right side of the green. I have 185 yards to a slightly elevated tee (all holes are slightly uphill or downhill, with alot of fairway and green undulations). I hit a 'career' shot to 6 ft. But, it was above the hole and being that it had been over 100* the whole week, the greens were a bit fast and I ran my birdie put by about 4 ft. and miss the par coming back. CRAP!#$!

#2 - After shooting a 9-over on the front (which at worst should have been only 4 over, made a 'quad' on the #6 after the 3-putt above). I pulled it together on the back 9 and was a 1-over for the back facing a 550yd par 5. I hit a 290yd drive and have 260yds slightly uphill with a bunker on the left and another one on the right, about 30yds short of the green. I usually only go in the 230-240yd range, but I figured if I could carry the bunker, I'd get some roll on the sun-drenched fairways and on the downslope of the bunker and I might get close to the front of the green. Well, I hit it absolutely PERFECT, slight draw, over the right edge of the bunker on the right and it rolled up to just 3yds short of the green. I putt from the fringe for eagle, missed it but made a nice downhill left-to-right slider for birdie to shoot even on the back 9 and finish strong.

I'm really learning alot about myself, paying attention to my emotions during the round, how I respond to certain situations. It's fun, I've been finishing really strong these last few rounds!

In my :nike:  bag on my :clicgear: cart ...

Driver: :ping: G10 9*    3-Wood: :cleveland: Launcher
Hybrid: :adams: 20* Hybrid      Irons: :ping: i5 4-GW - silver dot, +1/2"
Wedges: :cleveland: 56* (bent to 54*) and 60* CG10     Putter: :ping: Craz-e (original blue)