IGNORED

Best Shot of the Week

iacas

We had our annual Father's Day Outing yesterday. There were 17 foursomes and we won it at -7. We started on a 155 yard par 3 with a green 2/3 surrounded by water. The first guy missed well right, the second went in the drink and the third put his on the next tee. I fired mine right at the pin and ended up about 15 feet past the hole. We missed the bird, but made par. On the next I hit a 220 yard hybrid to 12 feet when everyone else missed the green. I also rolled in a 20 foot birdie on our last putt on our 13th hole. All in all I played well and hit the ball very solid most of the round.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

I hit a couple 7 irons today that were absolutely pure. The first one from 167 yards on #3, probably the hardest hole on the course. I striped a beautiful, high draw that hit the center of the green and checked up about 10 feet from the hole. I hit a great putt, but a bit too hard and mis-read it a bit.

The second one was on #11...the 2nd hardest hole on the course. I was about 165 and the pin was in the back of the green. I hit almost an identical shot as #3. It landed just short of pin high, about 10 feet from the hole...unfortunately the green was a bit too firm and it rolled just off the green.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Tonight, I hit a pure 90 yard wedge that landed exactly where I pictured, bounced twice and spun back to within two feet. It felt and turned out perfect. Made the putt for the bird.

I was playing my home course Friday and the #1 handicap hole is a par 5 565yds that you cant hit more than 200 yards off the tee as the dogleg is severe to the right. Hit a 5 iron tee shot behind a tree and had to hit a super cut 7 iron to get out, jacked that all up and had a look at the green but I was 230 yards out to a alightly elevated pond fronted green. In my mind I thought 3 iron but wasnt sure if if I could find the sweetspot as the lie was shaky, hit it anyway and absolutely pured it dead on the stick, 3 feet, made birdie. Best shot I ever hit...Exactly the way I imagined it in my minds eye.
In my bag
Driver Nike SQ Tour 9.5º X Flex NV-60
Fairway Woods Titleist 904f 15º Fujikura X flex
Mizuno Fli Hi 18º DG X100
Irons Mizuno MP-33 3-PW DG X100 +1" 2ºuprightWedges Mizuno 56º sandTitleist SM60º LobPutter Scotty Cameron Newport MidSlant Pro PlatinumBall Pro...

I got about 11 holes of practice in tonight. The par-4 18th is 299 yards from the white tees... a really short par-4 and I hit the green from the tee and bounded about 25 yards past. I got up and down for birdie.

I conveniently forgot to mention that there was a full club and a half wind at my back. Heh.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

145 Yard par 3. 8 Iron to less than a foot. Based on the ball mark, it must have rolled inches from the cup. Easy tap in birdie on the way to a 9 shot net win. I was giving him 3 and beat him by 12.
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Par 5 2nd @ Rend lake golf course Driver to fairway and then a beautiful 5 wood to the center of the green (forget about the 3 put par)

Driver-Wilson Deep Red II .428 shaft (stiff)
3 Wood-Mizuno T-Zoid Blue Rage (stiff)
5 wood-Mizuno T-Zoid Blue Rage (stiff)
3 Iron Hybrid- Wilson fat shaft(17*)
4 Iron Hybrid- Wilson fat shaft(21*)5-PW-Wilson fat shaft52-56-68 Degree wedges- Wilson HarmonizedPutter- Top Flite Mallet

I played 36 holes with my wife and kids over the long weekend and actually hit it pretty well.

The best was on the 180 yard Par 3 8th at Bennona Shores. It is a downhill hole with deep bunkers fronting the green on both sides. It was playing into a one club wind with the pin cut in the front left. I just cleared the right bunker with a 6 Iron and somehow the ball actually stopped inches from the ball mark. I had 20 feet on the only flat part of the green. I rolled it into the cup and my kids thought I was Tiger Woods.

Here's a new thread I hope to keep going (I've made it sticky so, like "What'd you shoot today?" it shows up at the top all the time). What was your best shot of the week? Drop by here once a week, think back, and tell us about your particular mastery of one shot or another.

Playing a course in scotland Dunbar, long links course, wind blowing a gale and raining from the heavens, i hit my tee shot in 2 a pot bunker on the 2nd a par 5, had about 220 to the green and i hit a 3 iron caught in perfect it land behind the pin and screwed back 2 10 feet or so, and rattle home the putt always helps!

I pushed my drive into a pond on the par 4 7th. My opponent was in the fairway. After a drop I had 110 to a green that is elevated about 40 feet above the fairway. I hit a wedge to about 18 feet and drained the putt to save par. My opponent three putted from inside my distance for a double. Instead of giving back strokes I piled on two more.

I was on fire with the putter last night. I holed a 30 footer for birdie and two others between 15 and 20 feet. One was for Par, the other was for a good bogey. I also made three more between 8 and 15 feet. I really needed it because I was giving my opponent 9 shots for 9 holes. I beat him by 14.

387 yard slight dogleg left. Hit my 3 wood through the corner and had 145 to the hole and had to go over a large tree. Had a slight upslope so I hit a 9 iron to 4 feet for my only birdie of the day. Too bad it took me 18 holes to put two good shots back to back.

Alan Olson

Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!
Check out our Facebook page!

• Administrator

My best shot today, and perhaps in the past week, was the drive I hit on the 17th hole today. The fairway (and in fact the treeline) is 17 yards wide, so anything in the fairway is good. It's a 540 yard par 5, and I nearly reached with my layup 3I, so the drive was not only straight but reasonably long.

That's another way of saying that I'm hitting the ball like lately.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

160 out on a 400 yd par 4, ball above my feet in a gnarly shaggy lie, played to draw but easily could've dead pulled if the junk caught the hosel. Hacked it out perfectly with an 8-iron, pretty in the air, stiffed it to two feet and sank the bird.

Of course, followed up with back-to-back bogeys. Love golf.

"I played like shit." -Greg Norman after the '96 Masters.

Hole 2 @ Braemar Golf Course in Edina Minnesota. It's a par 5 with a slight dog leg left. I left my tee shot in the right rough (first cut) about 250 yards out, but in a somewhat bad lie, in to which I didn't believe I'd be able to cut through the grass properly with my 3-wood. So I used my 5 wood and hit it out about 175 to the right side of the fairway. The problem was, about 15-20 yards in front of my ball was a large tree that had overhanging branches. These branches looked as if it were blocking my approach shot to the green, but I noticed there was a gap in the overhang of about 5 feet from each branch, leaving a hole in the branches to get through with a well placed shot.

I'll mention now that I was playing with a nice couple who I was paired with @ the start of the round, the man said to me to punch it forward to get in front of the trouble, but from his view point he was not able to see the gap in the branches, so I (kindly) ignored his suggestion and pulled out my pitching wedge.

I struck the ball very solidly, and it went right through the gap of the branches just like I wanted it to, didn't even touch a leaf.

The ball landed 15 or so feet from the hole. I sadly missed the birdie putt, but was able to make a par out of what I thought was going to be a certain bogey. :)

Driver: 907 D2 10.5 - Diamana Blue 65 Shaft
3-Wood: 906 F4 15.5 - Graphite Design YS-6+ Shaft
5-Wood: 906 F4 18.5 - Diamana Blue 75 Shaft
Irons: Rac TP CB Irons; 5.0 Flighted Rifle Shafts, 1 degree flat.
Wedges: Rac TP Black 52:08; 56:12Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 - 35"B...

Yesterday, finished school and had nothing to do so went down to the course.
Playing awful then comes to the 5th hole, about 350 yards par 4 with a big bunker circling the green, so I get out my driver. I hit it, and it just goes so straight it's unbelievable, and it lands straight in the middle of the fairway which is about 200 yards, then I get out my 9 iron, and then just chip it on, the flags at the back off the green, and it just rolls, and rolls, and goes straight in! They were probably my best shots ever! :D

18th hole in a tournament, OB right, tight fairway with trees left. Fairway bunker 300yds away down the left side... flopped it right into it on the fly
In the light of my recent driver trouble - it felt goooood....