IGNORED

Best Shot of the Week

iacas

Last week it was the drive on the 4th hole. The rest of the round sucked dog s&&&,

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Any one of these three - my best ever birdie on the tough SI 1 tenth at Hankley Common (http://www.hankley.co.uk/hole_10). The driver was a 10 yard push but dead straight, a really good stock 8 iron fade and then a nice putt breaking slightly left to right. Great in our match play game with a shot to help!

birdie10hank.png

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Was a balmy 30 degrees yesterday but the sun was shining so I decided to go out. Expecting up to 4 inches of snow today so pry wont be able to get out again for a while. Had a few notable shots but my best one was a par 4 where I hit a big slice off the tee that only went about 220 landed underneath a tree but I had plenty of room for a full swing. What made it my best shot was the massive 40 foot pine completely devouring my line to the green. I was 155 out its an elevated green and I had a pretty stiff headwind I guessed it would take my 5 iron to get there which I generally carry 185. There was really only one opening in the tree I had to aim a little right and try to find a 3 foot gap where the branches parted I took a nice easy swing and pured it split the gap perfectly I knew it was on a good line but couldn't see it down so I didn't know what to expect. When I made it to the green I found I was 6 feet away and knocked 'er in for birdie which actually put me at 1 under through 4 but 4 consecutive bogies and I go home with what tied my best score of the year at a 39.

Wasnt playing any holes today i just stopped at course to work on putting and short game, chipped nothing but net from about 20 yards ill play my rounds startn friday threw sunday mayb ill have a better 1 to tell then!

O.E.F VET 11B East Texas!

My best shot of the week came today. It was a 35 foot shot with my 9 iron through a narrow opening. I lined my shot up and closed my eyes to visualize the shot happening. Now I was ready. I had to get just the right amount loft on my ball to go over the dining room table, but not so much loft that my ball would hit the ceiling. There was no room for error. And then my ball had to drop a couple of feet and make it though a narrow doorway then hit the side of a cardboard box in the den that's face was angled at 45 degrees to allow my ball to take a 90 degree right turn and finally go through a small space between two chairs in the den. This shot was with one of those soft spongy practice balls which covered 3 rooms. It started out in the living room, then traveled through the dining room and finally into the den in the rear of the house. It was a once in a life-time spectacular shot. I don't know if I would ever be able to repeat it. But the family members gave me a standing ovation and said they will never forget the moment.

Edited by 9wood
  • Upvote 1

While my iron play was an excrement extravaganza today, my driver, fairway woods, and hybrid were nails most of the day.

The ninth hole is a 512 yard par five, dogleg left that starts uphill, then goes downhill, and finally finishes uphill to the green.  I hit probably my poorest drive of the day on this tee; I pulled it left into a hill.  I'm still about 300 yards or more from the green, and I am blocked by a tall pine tree about 50 yards in front of me.  There's also a large oak tree about 50 yards past, and a little left of, the pine tree.  A draw is out of the question because I've got a bit of a hanging lie, and the angles just don't work. 

I decided on a high fade with my three wood.  It came off just as I envisioned it, starting to the left and missing the branches of the pine by about five feet or so.  The ball kept climbing and soared over the left side of the oak tree, before fading into the middle of the fairway about 50 or 60 yards short of the green.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

I had a really great shot yesterday. I was on the tee box of a 377y par 4. Dogleg right with some pretty nasty hazard area on the right. The first shot fairway is level with the tee box, and level with the green, but RIGHT AT about 220 yards there is a major, sudden hill where the dogleg takes its hard turn to the green (I have to almost backpedal down when I'm walking with my cart it's so steep) that runs down about 40 yards. Then it's a SHARP uphill again to the green front.

The wind was directly in my face. Probably 20 mph. I figured since my shot shape is left to right I would aim a little left to avoid the hazard but hope I can get it to sit on the ledge where I can approach the green from up top because there's no way I'd make 220 yards to roll down the hill with this wind. Sure enough, Smacked a good one and it JUST trickled up to that ledge and rolled down! :-D 287 yard drive with 90 into the elevated green. When I finally got up to my ball (walking) the group on the green was looking over to me and yelled "Killer shot man!" Pretty cool!

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

My best shot was actually the third shot of the hole. First was put in to a bunker, then the second I chunked the ball out of the sand AND it only just stopped about an inch short of falling in to water! But it was the third shot, which I had 90 yards to the pin and I stopped the ball 2 feet from the hole after getting the ball to check up immediately. One putt and a par!

The real challenge though is doing everything again without scoring a double figure number on the hole!

Screen_Shot_2016-04-02_at_21.32.04.png

Regards

Mailman

Mailman

A light snow turned into a blizzard last night. The last hole I was going to play since the hole is near the parking lot I was 150 out on my second shot I couldn't even see the pin the snow was coming down so hard. I just pulled out my 7 no practice swings just walked up and took a hack at it picked up my bag put my head down and trudged through the sideways falling snow to find that I actually was on the fringe pin high left about 30ft away not a particularly great shot but given the weather I was pretty shocked by it.

2 holes in a row I played shots I was really happy with yesterday.

Par 5 - 15th hole, drove the ball well but slightly to the right and landed in the 2nd of 3 bunkers. Thought I'd lost all hope to get on the green in 3, as I approached the ball it had sat up pretty nicely, pulled the 9 iron out the bag and swung, caught it perfectly and landed it 100 yards from the green.

Next up was another Par 5 for the 16th with bunkers either side to catch any wayward drives. I stepped up and drove it perfectly between them splitting the fairway completely, my playing partners said it was definitely the best drive of the day which was nice to hear.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine was on a 134 yard par 3, over water to a downwards sloping green (towards the water). I hit an 8I just over the green and had a downhill chip towards the water. I chipped on with a SW okay, to about 20 feet, then made the slinging downhill putt for par.

Driver: :cobra: BiO Cell (10.5º)

Wood: :ping: G15 3 (15.5°)

Hybrids: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 3 (21º), 4 (24º)

Irons: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 5-PW

Wedges: :cleveland:588 RTX CB 50º, Paradise Black Chrome II Sand Wedge 56º

My irons have always been dodgy, but there were some positive signs on my weekend round. 

A regrettable second shot on a par-5 left me better than 160 from the green. This distance generally falls into the vast hole between my 7-iron and 5W. Maybe the Key 1 work is bearing results, because I hit a nice easy five-iron that trucked the pin. Ended up with a tough putt from above the hole and eventually settled for par, but it's been a while since I hit that club so well. 

Wow - so many good shots this weekend (2 rounds in very difficult winds, rather difficult courses too.)

Apologies - I have to pick two.  (my normal "Best Shot" is that fairway approach that I visualized just right - usually a long iron or hybrid - this is neither).

#1 - Hole 13 at Legends.  The 15 footer from a green side bunker to within 1 foot.  Reason is the sand was this heavy, really fine, 'get into your air vents' type of almost damp bag of cement mix powder that you just know is going to ruin your day and plug your lungs.  And even though it was heavy, I still stepped in the trap and sank a couple inches immediately.  You know the kind.....anyway  Just a really nice, NOT-tentative swing and big THUMP, floaty little ball carry about 10 feet, about a cup of sand with it, ball lands right on the picked spot and rolls up to the hole. Understand, I was planning on having the privilege of hitting 3 or 4 times from that bunker - maybe build a little sand castle and moat....

#2 - Caviat - We had a nice 20-30 mph tail wind.  Hole 12 at Legends.  Blue tees (3rd set) - 321 yards per the score card - left pin placement center deep.  Lake on the left, a couple of sandtraps begging for a nice draw.  Beautiful homes in the background.  Gorgeous hole.  We decided to go for it in the wind, so the shot is to nail a drive at the left edge of the right bunker and hit with a light draw.  I thought I pulled it a little, but it was pure contact and drawing lightly otherwise.  I didn't see a splash (so I got that doing for me - which is nice).  Pretty certain I rolled into the left trap.  I went to look for it and nowhere in sight.  My playing partner yells over "It's here".  It was 20 yards past the hole - that's a big drive (thanks winds).  Result was Par.....Easy little chip to the green and the ball will likely roll close or past if I don't hit too hard (vicious downslope to the hole, just don't leave it short).  nice chip, turns out the greens are slow, I actually did trickle it to the downslope but it didn't take the slope and stopped at the top.  So I left it short....dork

MWSnap 2016-04-18, 12_51_00.jpg

Bill - 

2nd hole par 4 320yrd dogleg right 90 degrees,5iron will get you dead center of fairway hit it right your in the woods hit left your in the creek, well i hit left side of fairway just on the bank of the creek but had a strait shot to the hole, about 120 yards up hill, pin short sided on myside of the green about 3 yards of green to work with if i hit below the hole, I hit a flush 8 iron so smooth being down hill all I could see was top of flag, me and my partner both said thats gunna be sittn pretty at the same time, sure enough bounced once and stuck bout 2 feet from the hole

O.E.F VET 11B East Texas!

1st hole, downhill to the fairway sharp dog left and then back uphill to the hold.  Tee shot, a horribly falred iron, into right edge of bunker at end of fairway, leaving 170 yards, uphill, to green.  Absolutely pured a 7 iron to 18'. 

167 left into the green on a short par 5.  Clubbed-up with a back pin, bunker guarding the right side of a kidney-shaped green, and ball sitting down in the right rough.  Flushed an 8-iron with a little cut that just cleared the sand and hopped left to about 20 feet for an eagle opportunity.

How I ended up with bogey is a topic for another thread.   

- Bill

2 hours ago, Let it Fly said:

167 left into the green on a short par 5.  Clubbed-up with a back pin, bunker guarding the right side of a kidney-shaped green, and ball sitting down in the right rough.  Flushed an 8-iron with a little cut that just cleared the sand and hopped left to about 20 feet for an eagle opportunity.

How I ended up with bogey is a topic for another thread.   

Ha!  First time I ever hit a par 5 in regulation (2nd hole at El Macero in Davis, CA), I hit to 8'.  I was shaking with excitement at the knowledge of my first eagle opportunity and, if not, a tap in birdie (quite the rarity, then and now).  I four putted for bogey. 

Edited by tdiii

I had some really nice shots today. The first was my second shot which was a 170 yd shot to the green on a par 4 sixth hole. I hit my 4 hybrid club and stuck my ball 7 feet from the pin and putted for the birdie.

But since I love taking risky shots, in my opinion my best shot today was a shot which looked almost impossible. It came on the par 5 ninth hole. Two trees and a drainage creek came into play, and I needed to thread a needle to pull this shot off and still clear the ditch which was 180 yds away. I used my 3 hybrid and lined my shot up realizing that I would need to get just the right loft on my ball to go over the first tree on the left and miss all the branches on the tree to the right at the edge of the ditch as my ball started delofting and then carry over the water filled ditch. I hit my ball and the shot came off just as I envisioned it, but never really thought I would actually pull it off. I doubt I would ever be able to repeat this shot, but I did it today and it gave me great satisfaction. :banana:

Edited by 9wood