IGNORED

Best Shot of the Week

iacas

Saturday at Monticello CC for Sr MPGA tournament. Hole #7 is closest to pin (152 yards I think?), used my 7 iron (and a lucky bounce) to 1 foot 3.5 inches. Won $50 for it. Best shot of the weekend for me. Finished middle of the pack in 1st flight on Sunday. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

254 yard 5 wood on the par 5 15th at Green Hills, put my group within 10 feet of an eagle.  Helped heavily by hitting down hill, but it was a beautiful shot.

Actually playing my own ball would probably have to be the 120 yard gap wedge (48*...I kind of carry two gap wedges) on the par 5 5th that I stuck to about a foot.  Hit a high fade (my stock ball flight) and nearly jarred it.

Driver - Cleveland CG Black 265
Fairway Wood - Adams Tight Lies 16 Degrees
Hybrids - 18 and 20 Degrees Adams Pro
Irons - 4-PW Adams XTD
Wedges - 52 and 56 degree Cleavland CG16

I round this weekend and, honestly, I didn't have a single shot that I felt was notable.  A round of 'meh'.  That said, I did get to play so it was still a good day.

Bill - 

Round 1 of the City Championship found me in the fairway of the 10th hole.  I had begun to leak oil at the end of the first nine so my attitude was questionable.  I had hit a nice drive but due to recent rain and advancing age, I was still 220 yards from the green.  The approach to 10 required a high accurate shot to a narrow green surrounded by water and weeds.

i pulled my driver and prepared to .... then sanity returned. I laid up to 100 yards and stuck a wedge to 2 feet to save a par.  My momentary moment of insanity had passed. ;-)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Brian Kuehn

I find trouble shots to be the most enjoyable lately. They seem to bring a nice mixture of risk and creativity.

I was going through my 9 hole course for the second time yesterday. Hole 5 is normally an easy dog leg right that calls for a long iron past the corner, then a mid iron approach down to the green. However, on this day they had the white tee box set back 50 yards.

On the first time through the course, I'd erroneously pulled the 5w and failed to reach my landing spot on this hole. This time I pulled the driver and played a really nice fade that cut the corner and reached the downslope rolling to within 80 yards of the center of the green.

That drive might have been a candidate for shot of the week, but it stopped just close enough to a large maple tree guarding the green on the right to prevent going over it with a gap wedge. So I decided to go under the branches with an 8i punch.

The punch landed on the far side of a little hill where it ran down and then uphill to the green and 6 feet past the flag.

• Upvote 4

Jon

Last Sunday I had a PW approach shot that short-hopped and hit the pin before dribbling off about 10 feet to the right. For a fraction of a second I thought I might have a tap-in birdie. I made a few other pars but that was my best hole of the day. 

I was playing a Titleist ball called "DT Solo" which was on sale at Dick's $19.99/dozen or two for $30. Anyway I thought they had discontinued these (?) I like how it putts and is a good bump and run ball but it does not hold the greens on pitch shots and full shots. I released off the back of the green several times. 

I have two shots that qualify equally.

1st one, I pulled my drive down the left side of hole 12 and it left me about 155 to the flag with a large tree blocking me  from a shot to the green. I set up with a 5 iron back in my stance for a draw. I took the shot and drew it perfectly around the tree to the middle ot the green. Had a 40 foot putt for birdie but settled for par.

2nd one, my drive went the through the fairway of the the 18th hole leaving my ball on a mound, 10 inches above my feet 50 some yards from the hole. I choked down on my 60 degree lob wedge and took the pull into account and aimed about 7 yards right of the hole. Took the shot and nearly holed it but it was a little hot. Unfortunately I watched the ball roll through with no break and putted back the same way except it broke a tad and I missed the 8 footer for bird.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

In the tournament on Saturday I had an uphill shot about 142 to the pin on #16.  With the elevation change it is about a 150 yard shot.  For me, that's either a hard 9 or a smooth, punch 8-iron.  I had been working on those three-quarters shots a bit on the range because I've been pulling them quite a bit...not making a good full shoulder turn.  I hit the three-quarters 8-iron absolutely perfect.  Flew right over the pin and spun back down the hill a bit to 2 feet.  That started a 3-3-3 finish to the round.

• Upvote 2

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

The first hole of our Tournament this past Thursday had me about 60 yards from the hole waiting to hit my 3rd (par 5).  I watched a couple fellow competitor's shots hit and roll a long way and off the back of the green.  Yes, the greens were really firm and fast.  So I elected to hit well short and right of the hole (water all along the left).  It was a nice shot but the ball rolled and rolled and rolled, eventually disappearing down the slope on the green's left edge, toward the water.  Someone said, "That's in the water."

So I am fuming a bit, grab another ball, my wedge and putter and walk over to survey the carnage.  Well, the ball held up on the down slope with about 4 inches to go.  So my shot of the week was the chip from the severe slope to within 2 feet, allowing me to save par.  While the shot was not stupendous, it was extremely timely.  If I had hit three nice shots on the opening hole and ended up with bogey or worse, that would have been tough to overcome.  As it was, the emotional lift carried me to a nice tournament.

• Upvote 1

Brian Kuehn

Despite playing pretty decently over all, it was sort of slim pickings, but this one did win me some money.

After hitting a crappy hook that was fortunate to hit a tree branch and drop short of the OB on No. 1 Kittyhawk Eagle, I turned to the trusty 5W to rescue me. A small tree blocked the direct route to the hole, so I aimed right and attempted to draw it around. Always a risky play for me, but it worked just as I hoped, resulting in a 10-foot up-and-down for par.

My handicap stroke made that hole a birdie and no else managed that much earning me my $25 entry fee back for the skin. 

Edited by mcanadiens

#16 at Hidden Greens is likely the course's signature hole.  413 from the Blues.  280 to the water, but just short of the water is 4 big trees so you have to drive left half of the fairway or you might be forced to go right and around making it a 5 shot hole......or drive short and hit a medium iron, but high enough to go over those trees.

I like to get my drive short of the water and in the first cut - leaves a nice and pretty approach shot for sure.

So - Beautiful drive but then it starts to fade just a little bit (red lines both shots) and ended up in no-man's land 150 from the flag if there wasn't a tree in the way. 

Options: 1 - even bailing right I'm too close to those trees to advance much.   2 - going over the water my clear line of sight is right in the middle of the trees left of the green which also stinks.

I can't fade too well normally with anything shorter than a 7i and this is clearly an 8i or a long 9i.  (FYI - if I go longer club and try to punch a low fade I'll scull it in the water...that's just me - I don't have that shot - wish I did).  So the smart move is the bailout right.

With that in mind, I still take the stupid shot and hit as much fade as I can with my 8i over the water.  It actually did just that and I had a 15 footer for birdie - which I missed.

But that was a fun approach shot to pull off.

2017-07-24 16_07_53-Microsoft PowerPoint - [Tatsu-S Summary 1801.pptx].jpg

Edited by rehmwa
  • Upvote 1

Bill - 

Holed a wedge for eagle from 115 yds on the 2nd hole (par 5) of a scramble this past Saturday for eagle.  Actually caught it a little thin and sent it past the flag, but when it hit the green it zipped back down the slope and happened to drop in...high fives all-around!

- Bill

in a day of Fairly poor driving although good scoring, I found myself in an adjacent Fairway roughly 200 yd from hole. I had to hit over trees to get to the green. I purchased a 7 wood a few weeks ago that is like hitting a 200-plus yard pitching wedge. I had to aim right at a tree that was blocking my view of the pin. the shot was straight at the tree and over and I thought land on the Green it looked really good but was not sure. I got up to the hole and found it 8 ft away from the flag. it was a outstanding shot. it landed and only rolled out about six feet.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

So last full swing of the round (Hole 9) short par 5.  205 from the pin in a rather thick first cut (lots of rain lately), it's like a 40-50 foot elevation increase too (over the marsh and then up the steep hill - green is tucked very tight - not an easy shot.  Smart shot is the layup as usual to the base of the hill.

So, I visualize a nice fading 4h around a corner tree blocking the straight shot.  that's my 200-210 hybrid and will need another 10 yards from it to cover the elevation adder.  Good thing the greens are soft today.

Reality?  I hit an unintentional (subtle) push/fade that barely cleared the offending tree - ball landed on the green and rolled to 6 feet - easy eagle putt - which I missed of course.  birdie tap in

Better lucky than good.  But I'll take the result.

2017-07-31 08_53_21-Google Maps.jpg

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

I played Forest Akers - West in Sparty country yesterday afternoon.   Hole #5 is a short par 4 dog leg left with the dog leg blocked by large trees.   I hit a good drive that hooked around the corner to just a few feet from the green and hit a short pitch shot to within 9" for a birdie.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

216 yard hybrid shot from rough into the wind on 480ish yard par 5 to 11 feet. Made eagle putt.

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

My 2nd eagle of the year is in the books!   I was traveling and played a course I have never played before and the fairways were firm bermuda grass and the balls were rolling-out nicely!  I gained 20+ instant yards playing this golf course.....LOL...that's always fun!   I know long is relative, but I was hitting it far...."for me".  

Par5: 518yds......  I had 218yds to the pin and flew a 5-wood to 10'....made the putt.  I missed several short putts that day, but made the one I wanted the most!!  Good fun! 

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch