IGNORED

Best Shot of the Week

iacas

Played in Bangkok on Saturday (before 20 hours of travel time to get home.)  Muang Kaew Golf Resort (near the airport).  Great course. 

Hitting long that day (for me, it was nuts) and accurate - so much fun.  Apparently, warm golf balls makes for good striking, even in the thicker air.  Also, I was hitting a different ball than my normal as I was traveling, I got on line and tried to select a ball to fit my swing.....maybe that helped too (Bridgestone Tour B330-S) - I know the ball played great for me, but it could have just been a good day too.

I think I hit my 3w best that day - 4 of 4 hits were pure and straight and long.  2 were small pushes 2nd shots on par 5s, but even those two ended up pin high, just in a greenside bunker.  the other was a tee shot that went to the perfect spot on a par 4 (river was at 290, so caddie told me to hit 3w - this time she was right).  The other was the 2nd shot on par 5 18th which actually ended up about 20 yards from the green (which I had thought was much farther away).  Had I chosen to fade the shot, it likely would have ended up on the green, but I thought I was laying up as the caddie told me the wrong distance to the green.

No particular shot stood out though.

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Short par 4...hit my drive on the right side of the fairway. About 60 yards out, hit my 60 degree a hair thin and it doesn't hold the green...rolling off the back. 

Chip up and it follows the slope perfectly...hits the pin and drops for a 3!

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

• 2 weeks later...

Spirit Hollow Golf Course 18th hole Par 5 playing from the "Blacks" at 521 yards. I hit a very nice drive that left me 211 yards out from the pin (GPS Measured), I was in the first cut of rough and hit my 4 Hybrid, as soon as I connected with the ball I knew it was going to be special.  I walked forward watching the ball come into the green with a small draw, it bounced twice and hit the pin!  It left me 3' from the hole.  I missed my putt for what would have been my third Eagle this year but did what I needed to do and left it on the lip for a tap in Birdie to secure the win in our team match play event.

This was not only my best shot of the week but also my best shot of the year.

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

It's between 2...

First hole I hit a short slicey drive...then worm-burned a 3 wood, leaving me 140 out. I hit a 9 iron, but with the wind in my face, it ended up 10 yards short. Hit a perfect pitch that 2-hops and rolls right to the center of the pin...dropping for a Par. 

The other was a 190 yard Par 3 over water and then WAY uphill to an elevated green. I hit a nice tee shot but it hits the front and bounces/rolls all the way back down the hill in the rough. Grab my 60 and chop it out the best I can to a blind pin. Walk up the hill and it's 3' to the right of the cup.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Saturday at Willingers - great course (Gil Miller Design)

So a total meltdown on the 2nd par 5 put me out of contention of the "keep them under 6 awards...) = "aggressive" shooting for the rest of the round.  Great time.  Losing balls after that.

Best shot?  Hole 18 I hit a drive to the right side, just in the first cut.  290 from the green.  I have to hit around a tree on the right where the straight line picture is the left edge of the fairway.  Lake on the left, a bunker on the left at about 220.  Clearly the intelligent shot is a high mid-iron layup to the center of the fairway.

So - 3 wood with a medium fade, start on the edge of the lake, clear the bunker, and hope for a good rollout.  Success, still short of the green about 20 yards, but a nice chip and still 2 putt for par.   I pulled the chip, good read, bad execution.

Clearly not the 'correct' choice of shot, but very fun to try.  Even a blind squirrel and all that.

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

Probably not the best shot of the week for me last week, but certainly the most satisfying... 

13th Hole - Par 5 - 525 Yards

I've played out at this course for just over a year now.  I've told most of the guys I play with that the 13th hole is out of reach for me in two.  I absolutely pured a drive off this tee on Friday afternoon.  It was measured at 287 yards.  The pin was up front that day, so I was sitting about 220 yards from the hole.  Typically, if there is no trouble... I'll pull my 3 wood anywhere up to 240 yards and just try to get it close.  Average 3 wood off the deck for me goes around 220 or so.  On this hole, there is a narrow opening to the green with deep traps on either side of the fairway a the front of the green.  I hit one of the best 3 wood shots of my life there.  It never left the pin and rolled up to within an inch of the front of the green.  I was left with about 20 feet from there for eagle.  I left that just a bit short but left myself a tap-in for birdie.  

Like I said... it probably wasn't the best shot of my week, but it felt great to execute when my partner was in his pocket on that hole.  

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

My best shot of the week, I was playing in North Carolina, at a really pretty, kind of easy, course, and on the back 9, they have a par 5, slight dog leg to the right, with a big tree right in the middle of the fairway about 200 yards from the tee.  I ask my playing partners how they play the hole, and they say, just aim for the tree and hope you don't hit it.  So I hit my drive right on the sweet spot and produced a low straight shot with a slight fade, and missed the trunk of the tree by about 3 feet.  It wound up a very long drive because the fairway was dry and hard. 

• Upvote 1

I landed behind the green, with a fairly steep downhill chip. Probably 40 feet. The greens were fast that day, I had not played the course so far this year and I was surprised by their speed.

Anyhow, I pull a GW and hit the chip, flew about 2 yards and trickled down perfectly, leaving me a 2 foot uphill putt, which I made.

Unfortunately, prior to getting green side, I had punched two balls in a row into the woods after a wayward drive on a rock hard side hill lie, and ended up with a snowman, lol.

Had a couple from the round yesterday http://www.gamegolf.com/player/klineka/round/1884627

The owner and the head pro were playing in front of me, I was taking my time making sure not to rush them or anything, but they waved me through after they hit their tee shots and one approach shot on hole 5. They were both in the fairway, so I stepped up and hit mine almost 260 to right edge of the fairway. My approach shot the ball was pretty severely above my feet, had about 150 left. Perfect 9 iron distance. With both of them watching me, hit one of my best shots of the season, ball landed about 7 feet in front of the pin and released to about 4 feet and then made the easy putt.

Par 5 12th hole, a 4some waved me through after hitting their tee shots, piped one right down the middle right around 260 as well. Green was elevated and about 220 yds out. A 3 wood could have been too much if I flushed it, but I knew I wouldnt reach with a hybrid since it was uphill. Took a smooth hybrid just to advance it as far as I could, ended up just right of the green and about 5 yards short. Sidehill lie for my 3rd with about 5 feet of green to work with. Popped it up with my 60 degree, landed on the fringe, released towards the hole and lipped out leaving me with a tap in birdie. 

I was very proud of both of these holes since I had multiple people watching all of my shots on each of these holes.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Saturday, 14th hole. It is only 337 on the card, but the tee shot is blind. OK tee shot for me, but in the rough 125 out and pin on back of a 2 club green. 8 iron to 18 inches and made the putt.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

normally it's a long shaped shot pulled off for me, but this time I'm in a completely different area

this was about a 15 foot putt for birdie on a ridiculously long par 5 (for me).  Uphill then leveled off, putt through the initial break and then straight with a little tail off right at the end if I don't hit it.  Very subtle, a not-quite double break, but not much.  Just left of center, maybe edge of cup....

Read, bead, and speed all just right and it really felt good.

as a lousy putter, that was super nice.  that whole round I was getting speed right and it was so much easier to focus on hitting the shot as a result.

(I even picked this one over a medium sand shot that went better than I could hope for.  So apparently it was a big one for me)

Bill - 

I hit two great shots yesterday and I'm not sure which one is better:

On the third hole, a par 3, I was looking at a back left pin, 195 to center. The green is guarded by bunkers on three sides and long left is woods/OB. The pin is a tough putt from the front of the green because a big hump sits in the middle of the green towards the left side. I picked my 5I and hit a shot that started right on line with the center of the green and then faded 5 yards to the right, landing on the back third of the green about 25' from the hole. No, it wasn't tap-in distance (I ended up 3-putting for bogey), but I've been struggling with overdrawing my iron shots lately and I put in a lot of effort to work my stock shape into a cut. For me to hit that shot exactly as I envisioned it, start on the line I wanted and watch it turn right instead of left, was pure joy.

The other candidate is my drive on 10. After hitting an atrocious drive on 9 that would have put me on 8 if it wasn't for a tree to stop it, I ripped the best drive of my life on the next tee.

I'm leaning towards the 5I shot TBH.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I had a pretty good run on Saturday winning 3 skins in a row, a Par 4, Par 3, Par 5
It started with the par four into the wind. A decent drive, 3 iron from 180 ish pin high on the front.
Two putted from 15 feet for a tap in par and the only par in the game.
Followed up with a 5 iron dead on the pin from 170 into the wind on the par three.
Made a 18 footer for bird.
Then played the next hole, the Par 5, Driver, 3-wood, lob from thirty yards to 8 foot and made bird. 

After two weeks of nothing but Lip Service, I finally brought home with some bacon.... :-)

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Short of the year for me yesterday.

Hit my driver towards a crossbunker on the rigth on a Par 4 after making birdie on the previous hole (Par 5). When I walk to the ball i saw that the ball climbed the rigth wall of the bunker and stayed there, 50cm from the wall. I had 2 options, make my stance on the bunker and hit the ball like a baseball player or stand over the wall and grip the club from the shaft halfway to the head, like it was a club for a 5 year old player. I knew that i was facing to give back the birdie on the previous hole.

I choose the 2nd option, take an 8 iron from 120 yards and hit it as hard as I could towards the green. The flag was short left, with a bunker guarding the middle/rigth portion of the green. 
I make a perfect contact and the ball took a really low ball fligth towards the flag. Landed 30 yards on the fairway shorter to the flag and start rolling until I saw it disapear on the cup.

Yeah!! Eagle!! :D. Raised my arms before it drops, and my playing partners start clapping, they wheren´t close to me to celebrate. A couple of high 5 closer to the green and big satisfaction when i pull it out of the hole. 3 under in 2 holes. Yes, it was luck that the ball went in but i made an amazing recovery shot.   

On Monday, I was having a decent round, but doubled bogied the 17th, followed by: 1) Teed off the 18th and out drove the other 3 guys by 30 yards. 2) Followed it with a PW right at the pin. I didn't even wait to see it land, just turned around and got in the cart. It landed about 10 feet past the hole, and left me a downhill putt with about a 2 foot break. 3) Sunk it for a birdie! What a great ending to the day.   

Apparently, Wednesday was "opposite day" as my weaknesses became bright spots and my strengths were AWOL.

My driver and putting were actually ok for a change, while my full and partial swing approach shots cost me a lot of strokes (that's what I get for bragging in another thread).

Everything started to come together towards the end of the round. This was the result of a full swing 6i from just under 160....

Missaukee6i.jpg.0b68f3d9a7ed2721775c1c790e9abf9c.jpg

The worst part was I'd been making midrange putts like this all morning, but my putter caught just enough of the green to slow the putt down. I had to "settle" for par. 

Jon

The 9th hole on my regular course is a reasonably short par 5 at 475. The tee shot goes out straight to about 240ish where there's a bunker. Then it's straight left to the green from there. So, a good drive cuts the corner heavily (over some trees and large mounds/hills) leaving you anywhere from 200 or less in. Anyway, my drive had me sitting at 198 out. The green is elevated, and the majority of the front center is protected by a bunker. To reward myself for my drive, I grabbed a 5-wood. I flushed it. It sailed high and straight and carried the bunker, rolling out to about 20 feet for eagle. I panicked and left that putt way short, but drained the birdie to recover. That was a really fun 5-wood shot to watch. Easily my best one ever from the fairway.

I hit some pretty good shots this week, but I strung a few together on the par 5 5th. Hit a great 3/4 driver that landed down the back of the hill off the tee and ran down to a perfect spot in the fairway that's flat and short of trouble. Then I piped a 3W right down the center of the fairway to about 15 yards off the front edge of the green. Almost chipped that in for eagle and ended up with a 4" tap-in birdie.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread