IGNORED

Best Shot of the Week

iacas

My best shot of Friday's round followed one of my worst shots.  I holed out (for par) from 30 yards left of the 18th green from right beside a tree. I had a decent lie and hit a LW that landed right on the edge of the green and I could tell it would be close as soon as it started rolling. It looked like one of my best putts.

War Eagle!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

To add insult to the injury that my crappy driving has caused me this year was this funny-ass coincidence of a shot on No. 6 of the Hawk Course Sunday afternoon.

Out of absolutely nowhere, I hit a straight one 255 yards into the middle of the fairway. Ended up with a birdie for that hole. 

That may not sound like that much, but I generally don't manage much better than 230 yards and I'm hitting about 20% of fairways so far this year. Also, didn't hit another solid shot the rest of the round.

We were playing a 2 man team best ball against another couple friends (points for high and low).  One of our opponents put his tee shot on a par 3 to around 2.5 feet.  My effort was mediocre and my "birdie putt" was all of 50 feet.  I made it.  Of course he made his so we tied for low but my partner parred while opponent #2 bogeyed so at least we salvaged a point.

Longest putt I have made in 2019.  For the day that probably made my "made putt" total distance go from around 25 feet to 75 feet.  :facepalm

Brian Kuehn

9th hole, par three of about 185 yards with an elevated green...My 6 iron fades right, bounces off the berm and out of sight.  I thought the ball was wet.  But I got there and I was safe by about 2 feet.  The deep rough saved me.  But now I have about 50 yards to the pin, deep rough on an uphill lie.  Can't even see the flag over the berm.

Yeah, I holed it with my gap wedge for the skin.

Unhh!

• 2 weeks later...

Hole 4 this morning. Yanked a drive on a dogleg right and got a good kick off a tree to the middle of the fairway. Left me 176 yards out. 

Hit a 6 that almost went in and rolled past the pin to about 7 feet. Drained the birdie putt.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Yesterday I had a 5i shot that had to be pretty precise. There was a large tree limb between my ball and the green involved. 

The smart shot would have been to pitch out, and take my medicine. Howver I was feeling good, with a 3 stroke lead on my partener. A good, full 5i to the green, and a par would close the door on him. 

I have hit so many 5i shots ove the years, I am very familiar with the ball trejectory involved. The limb, and that trejectory appeared really close to each other from my view point.

Luckily I pulled it off, missing the limb by the slimest of margins, and set myself up for a 10' foot bird putt, which again,  I luckily made.

The lunch my partner purchased for us after the round, even though some what artery clogging, was much appreciated.

This morning's 9 hole round didn't produce any really great shots, but I did make a few, par saving, longer putts, which qualified for my shot(s) of today.

Might play another 9 holes later.

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Simple tee shot on Hole 7 at Willingers.  It's a par 3 that always takes my lunch money. Nothing special, it's usually long and into the wind....there's water.  It shouldn't bug me, but it has

Hit a great 5h to 5 feet on a very touch pin placement (nice minimal fade held up in the wind as planned), finally a birdie there.  (I normally bogie or double or penalty there).

I'm taking down a lot of holes that used to be 'issues' for me.  This course I had 4 personal trouble holes (6, 7, 12, 16) - last two rounds I've knocked off 3 of them.  The 4th one (16) hit a perfect drive but thicked the approach shot.  next time.

Bill - 

While on vacation, at SanDestin Links course, hole #6.  Holed out from 101 yards with my 52° G wedge...just missed the pin on the way down, hit about a foot behind the hole and spun back in...for the par, lol.  Too bad I'd hung my first approach out into the drink, and was playing my 4th from a drop way back where it had crossed.  But I had my two playing partners to celebrate with, along with a couple of grounds crew staff that were working beside the green, so that was fun (my last long hole-out had a sad big zero for witnesses).

Only second time I've holed out from further than ~50 yards in my life, and both have come this season, from roughly the same distance.

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

Downhill dogleg left par 4. Pull my drive left into the trees...per usual.

Hit a decent punch out to the middle of the fairway leaving me 64 yards. Grab my 60 degree and dunk it in for a routine birdie!

• Like 1
Ryan M

Our twin boys have both ended up in Arizona and every time we visit I try to get in a round or two.

We reached a 208 yard Par 3 which is always a bad yardage for me because My drives are 200 or so yards.  I was able to take out my driver and hit the green and hold it.  What really made this memorable was having all three of us hit the green and walk off with pars.

John

• Like 1

My second shot had landed on a mound about 60 yards right and short of the green, nestled under a line of hedges that hung out over the rough, and were about head high.  A gaping bunker was between me and the green further complicated the shot.  A punch shot was my only option, but I definitely couldn't go long over the green.

I pulled my seven iron pressed my face into the bushes and swung.  I caught it crisp, with a good dose of backspin, and it landed exactly where I envisioned it landing.  The ball skidded a couple of times, and then rolled to a stop against the back fringe, before rolling back a few inches toward the hole.  And then I sank the putt for a magnificent par.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Had a Lowest Score Wins moment yesterday.  My last hole (#14 Greystone Golf Course) found me 180 yards from the hole after a decent drive on the right half of the fairway.  Bunkers all along the left side of the green.  A steep slope to a watery penalty area on the right.  Going for the front hole location required risking the water penalty area (short or right) or the sand (long or left).  The best place to go was the area in front of the green rather than the green itself.  I took a club that should be short of the bunkers on the left and "cheated a little left to give myself a greater margin away from the slope down to the water penalty area.  Hit a perfect hybrid just a step off the front of the green.  Putted the ball to 2 feet, made the par and shot 79 for the round.

It would have been easy for me to just whack a shot toward the green/hole location and risk the water or sand.  In the heat of the moment we tend to forget the basics. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Brian Kuehn

9 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

Had a Lowest Score Wins moment yesterday.  My last hole (#14 Greystone Golf Course) found me 180 yards from the hole after a decent drive on the right half of the fairway.  Bunkers all along the left side of the green.  A steep slope to a watery penalty area on the right.  Going for the front hole location required risking the water penalty area (short or right) or the sand (long or left).  The best place to go was the area in front of the green rather than the green itself.  I took a club that should be short of the bunkers on the left and "cheated a little left to give myself a greater margin away from the slope down to the water penalty area.  Hit a perfect hybrid just a step off the front of the green.  Putted the ball to 2 feet, made the par and shot 79 for the round.

It would have been easy for me to just whack a shot toward the green/hole location and risk the water or sand.  In the heat of the moment we tend to forget the basics. 

Nice round.   Nice way to execute.    Congrats.   I really enjoyed playing Greystone last year.    It was one of my better rounds.   I believe they have one of the best finishing holes in 16, 17 and 18 of any course I've played.     We have another Group Golfer voucher to play it again this year.   I'm looking forward to it. 

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• 2 weeks later...

Topped a hybrid off the tee for about 120. Still had about 240 to the green and was behind some trees. In my “you only live once” moment I took the hybrid again and drew it around the trees to the greenside bunker for about 230 yards. Sadly the bunker wasn’t a bunker but more of a concrete hole...

• 3 weeks later...

Played a nice course just north of Louisville in Indiana on Friday.

Dogleg left Par 4. I push a Hybrid to the right, but still in the fairway. Unfortunately, it leaves me with a gigantic tree right in my path to the green. Woods to the right, water left. My plan is to try to hit a low bump and run with a hybrid to get me "close". At 160 yards away, my buddy's Dad keeps calling me a wimp and tells me to just hit it over the tree. Since I'm an idiot, who's easily talked into stupidity...I grab my 7 iron and pure one right over the tree to about 15'. 

Ryan M

Thanks for asking.

Sunday, 17th hole, dogleg right , long par 5 with light palmage on the left and a considerable grove of live oaks and laurels guarding the green on the right from shorting the hole.  You want to keep to the left side of the fairway to give the chance to go for the green in two if you can avoid the sprinkled palms.  But the driver drifted right too much, which brought the grove between me and the green.  As designed, I was only 250 from the flag, but I could not go straight for it.

Aiming well left of the direct line, I hit the 3w solid, just a few feet beyond the edge of the grove and watched it bounce onto the fairway, 20 yards from the front edge of the green.  I was in prime position to up and down for birdie. Still failed to par the hole.  That's my game.

Hit an 8 iron 5” from the hole on a 155y par 3. Went straight at the hole from the start to finish. Hit the putt for birdie. 

Birdied another par 3 on that 9 holes. 

My past few rounds have had both good, and bad shots. What has stood out have been some really good, 7W shots into greens, when the yardage was right.

One in particular stood out from 150 yards, where on a short par 4,  the ball stopped with in an inch of the hole for a tap in birdie. 

Kind of liked that one. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer: