IGNORED

Best Shot of the Week

iacas

I hit a decent number of good shots yesterday, but three stand out, in order of greatness:

•After an okay 6I on the par-3 17th, I had about 40ft to the hole, with plenty of green to work with. I hit a bump-and-run chip that stopped about 8 inches from the cup. I don’t par that hole often, so it was nice to par it this time around.

•Earlier, on the 14th, the four of us did a closest-to-the-pin from a deep bunker while waiting for the group ahead to get off the tee. I took my 60* and splashed it to about 5ft. The last person to go had me by about an inch.

•Even earlier than that, on the 7th hole, after I nailed my 5H tee shot onto the green, some 40-45 ft from the hole, I sank the birdie putt. At that point, +11 on the day. Not good, but played the last eleven holes at +10.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

295 yard par 4 that plays uphill. 

Hit my driver straight for 250 about 35 to the pin. I then proceeded to chunk a chip and 2 putt for bogey. 

And then two holes after that you hit about 40 yards deep over a hill. Hit the driver over the hill for 260 yards and had 180 left to the green. Proceeded to miss the green right and down a hill with my 5 iron. I then just dropped another practice ball and hit the 5 iron to 6’... every idiot can do it with the second ball Come On Reaction GIF by NBA

On the 11th hole of my second round today, after a terrible shank on my second shot, I hit a 9I to six feet. Didn’t make the putt, but that shot redeemed me from probably my worst shot of the day.

WITB:

Hit a chip in from about 20 yards in the rough. It went high and rolled down the slope in the hole. 

Too bad it was to save triple bogey 🤬

8 hours ago, Killa said:

Hit a chip in from about 20 yards in the rough. It went high and rolled down the slope in the hole. 

Too bad it was to save triple bogey 🤬

IMO, a chip-in is cool no matter what it’s for. Always cool to chip in or make a long putt.

WITB:

There were two, almost identical, though one led to a birdie.

Number 11, par 3, 135 to the pin, near the front of the green.  Hit a 9 iron to about eight feet, but did not make the putt.

Number 15, 360 yard hole, in the fairway, 135 out, pin about in the middle of the hole 15 part of the green (it's shared with 4, so there is a long way back where you don't want to go!.  Ht the 9 iron to about 6 feet, and rolled it in.

An interesting shot, on 11.  Drove it left, not off the planet, but behind some trees that make a bit of a dogleg.  About 150 out.  There was nothing going up, too close to them.  I was almost ready to just pitch to the fairway, when I realized that there was a really wide window right at the front of the green, the only issue being that there were overhanging branches making it about 6 feet high.  I have become pretty adept at a 5 wood punch, way back in the stance, and just smack down on it.  So I did it.  Ended up about 20 yards short of, but right in front of the green.  The flag was way uphill, in the back, and I left my chip probably 15-20 feet short, though right on line.  Actually got the putt to the hole, which is sometimes an issue.  With a lot of pace.  But the flag was in, and I hit it dead center, and it dropped.  Nice, easy par!

Yesterday in our scramble tournament, we were shortsided, and I hit a nice chip that bit hard about pin-high, 3 feet to the left of the cup. I raked in the putt to keep us at -1 through 9 holes.

WITB:

Pushed my drive hard to the right, hit a tree and ended up in some light rough. The tree saved my tee ball from going deeper into the woods, but also killed my carry and rollout, so I was laying about 205 yards from the front of the green. I was also in a weird downhill and side-hill lie, with the ball above my feet.

The footing was poor due to mud, and my stance was so awkward I almost fell over taking a practice swing.

Hit a punch 5-iron just hoping to advance the ball toward the hole and end up in the fairway in a flat section. But the line and trajectory were perfect, and the ball landed about 5 yards short, one-hopped onto the green and rolled to about 25 feed. It was fortunate that there was still dew on the grass, because I think it would have rolled through the green otherwise, but made for an unexpected birdie opportunity.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Last week had two birdies.  Not sure which was the better shot, but here goes.

1) PW from about 110 or so and put it pin high within about 3 to 4 feet and make the putt.

2) nGIR, probably around 5-10 yards from the green.  Chip in for birdie

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

My brother and I played yesterday, me from the whites, him from the reds. The 17th is 240 from the reds, par 4. I hit my own tee ball (white tees) down the middle, and thought I’d have a crack at driving the green from the reds. Nailed it to the back, 20 feet from the pin. That doesn’t happen very often, and was the highlight of the day.

Edited by dagolfer18

WITB:

My best shot of the week was hitting a 240yd drive on a par 5 hole twice! No winter roll, no downhill/wind, no cartpath. Just hit it perfectly with a slight draw to the middle of the fairway - ended up with a birdie on that hole both times!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve only played nine holes this week, but one shot from that round really stands out. On the 5th hole, I hit a toppy 3W to about 165 out, then pulled a 6I left. I hit a pitch shot with my gap wedge, and according to my teammates, it checked up a bit before stopping about 2ft from the hole. Made the par-saving putt. That hole is the #2 handicap hole, so in general, I’m happy with a five.

WITB:

Teed off on a 400 yard dogleg right par-4, and with a strong tailwind I aimed over the dogleg which is protected by a bunch of bunkers. The carry is about 260-280 yards depending on the aim point, which is a stretch but doable for me with the tailwind assist and a good strike. Bad choice, the drive was pushed right and ended up getting hung up in eucalyptus trees on the right side of the hole. The drive ended about 65 yards from the tee box in the trees, well over 300 yards from the green.

Luckily, the ball was lying nicely in some short rough, and I considered two options: (1) I had a window between two trees and through a "Y" of another tree to advance the ball toward the green with a fairway wood and possibly leave a wedge into the green, or (2) I had a chance to advance the ball back into the fairway and leave a mid/long-iron approach (160-180 yards) into the green.

I selected hero shot, fully aware that I might be compounding my initial bad driving decision. Now this usually doesn't work out well for me, but I flushed the fairway wood and miraculously the ball whistled between the two trees, through the "Y" of the next tree, and into the ether (lost sight of the ball). I wasn't sure where I would find it, but about 80 yards from the green, there's my optic yellow winter ball lying nicely in some short rough. It was probably the best fairway wood I've hit this year, maybe in my life.

I finished the hole with a partial 54-degree wedge to pin high but about 40 feet away, and then 2-putted for a bogey. Unspectacular, but very satisfying.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

The wind was strong into me and left to right.  With a back left hole location my 3rd shot on this par 4 (yes, 3rd) was 140 yards and playing more like 160 with the temperature around 37 degrees (f).  I pured my iron and played just enough left of the hole for the wind to bring it back to the green.  Rolled in the 8 footer to save par.  Considering my first two shots on the hole, I was elated to save par.

Brian Kuehn

49 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

with the temperature around 37 degrees (f).

UGH!  wind chill was probably below freezing.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I have two shots, both resulting in pars:

•On the 6th hole today, rated the toughest hole on the course, I pulled my drive just a hair but crushed it 240 yards, leaving me just over 150 to the green in the rough. I pulled a 6I and hit it nicely onto the green, about 7ft from the pin. Missed the birdie putt by a hair.

•Not quite as good, but still a highlight. On 13, my 7I approach landed a foot short and rolled down a steep embankment that protects the green short. I was laying about 10ft from the edge of the green, probably 35ft from the hole. Decided to chip with my 58 degree. Nailed the bottom of the stick, but rolled 5ft away.

Edited by dagolfer18

WITB:

From 105 out

IMG_20191207_151012_392.jpg

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

• 4 weeks later...

I here you on the creative part. I faced a two tier 40 ft. Putt I new it was going to take some juice to make the ridge and then a left lip breaker I read right it dropped. I believe creativity can be a great aid in golf.