iacas

Best Shot of the Week

4,922 posts / 412474 viewsLast Reply

140 yard par 3 over water that always plays a club longer. I stupidly hit my 140 yard club and of course came up short in a bunker. Ball was plugged deep, almost completely buried. And I was just behind the lip of the bunker, which was about 3 feet higher than where my ball was. Impossible shot, I thought. 

Swung as hard as I could and slammed my lob wedge right behind the ball. Popped out perfectly and rolled to about 18” for a par. Probably my best sand save ever. 

I think I'm going to have to list my 372-yard drive as the best shot I've hit lately. Fifth hole (my 14th of the day) at The Links at Greystone.

2927507_pW6gJNWu.png

View this round on GAME GOLF

🙂

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Every time I hit a draw on my driver. 

Seriously best was third shot on a par 5 140 metre i7 over some treacherous water hazard. I dont get spin with my longer irons of my d7 set so it was crucial to get the carry just over but not more. I landed on the fringe and it rolled 10 metres some 60 cm past the hole on the perfect line. 

These shots would be so easy with more swing speed. 

Wasn’t getting off the tee well yesterday so had a bunch of awkward recovery shots.

On #3 I pushed a drive down the right side. Got a fortunate kick and it stayed in play but landed in some tall, dry, weeds that were semi-trampled.

Had about 85 yards to the middle of the green, off a downhill/side hill lie, with low tree limbs obstructing anything but a punch shot.

Hit a low, partial 8-iron under the tree limbs. Didn’t see the ball flight because it was obstructed by trees, but the pitch mark was about pin high, and rolled out another 30 feet to the back fringe. Left about 35 feet for birdie. Ended up with par but that’s fine - I used to completely bungle those types of recovery shots and walk off with doubles and triples. 

Finally got out with a buddy who spends much of the year in AZ.  He has always been willing to critique my game despite getting regularly thumped.  On the opening hole, a par 5, two marginal shots found me 185 yards out in the left rough on a cool dewy morning.  The hole was located well left, behind a cavernous greenside bunker.  For me, a perfect shot would be just right of the bunker, setting up a longish 1st putt.

I grabbed my fairway wood and set-up for a slight fade to the right side of the green.  Long was preferable to short as short started to flirt with the bunker.  My always aware buddy commented, "All your clubs look the same", noting that I was hitting the same club as my second shot.  "Thanks for noticing, Pat"   :fuckall

I hit it solidly, with a nice trajectory. It was headed for the corner of the bunker but had just enough fade to  miss a step to the right.  The ball landed softly and ended pin high, 30 feet right of the hole.  A simple 2-putt and I was off to the races.  Pulling off that shot seemed to jump start my game.  Close to my best ball striking day of 2020.

After an 11 on hole 1 of Whispering Woods (talk about rough), I proceeded to shank my tee shot on hole 2 (a par 3), completely fat my second shot, only to chip in from ~25 yards. It ain't much, but it's honest work.