IGNORED

Best Shot of the Week

iacas

Probably had my best shot of the week/month/year/life today. I was hitting block fades with driver all day today (well each of the 5 times I hit driver anyways), so on #18, I predictablyΒ hit a block fade over the trees on the right of the hole onto an adjacent fairway. If you hit the ball far enough to get past the trees, you have an unobstructed approach to the green, but the green becomes shorter front to back than if you are in the right fairway due to the bad angle.

I was about 135 yards to the hole, slightly uphill (IΒ could see the top half of the pin).Β Without my PW I had to hit a partial 9-iron. IΒ flushed it and the flight of the ballΒ never left the flag. I almost wanted to do a Tiger club twirl and start confidentlyΒ stalking after the ball.Β I saw it hop once and then lost sight of the ball behind some mounds. Walked up to the green and saw my ball peakingΒ out of the cupΒ atop the pool noodle. Pitch mark was about 8 feet from the hole.Β First eagle since I was in college 20+ years ago.

848B9434-F06E-43B2-9709-A35B6DF5B5DD.thumb.jpeg.3209418c4949f49cce0ac54abaa245e1.jpeg

Edited by Darkfrog
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

-Peter

• :titleist:Β TSR2
  • :callaway:Β Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg:Β GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon:Β ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:Β  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Little slow in posting this, still smiling over this shot.

Last Saturday I played at Oldfield CC in Bluffton, SC.Β  It was a rainy day.

#2 I hit my Drive straight down the right hand side of the fairway into the bunker about 260Β to 270 in the rain.Β  Looking at my ball I was sitting about 155is out in the trap, the trap was wet so the sand was not fluffy that relieved me as I felt the shot would easier then.

I went up a club as I usually do from a fairway bunker.Β  Decent lip to clear but felt I could get my 7i up in time to do it.Β 

I went for a standard all ball contact before ground, hovered my club and nailed it perfectly.Β  It was a beautiful looking ball and landed pin high just right at about 10' from the pin and just stuck there.Β Missed the putt for birdie but got my par.

Still feels good thinking about how that shot felt and flew.

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smokeΒ yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility IronΒ Srixon 3 20*
Irons:Β  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -Β Β Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy GrailΒ Ball: Snell MTBx

Last weekend, I played Hillandale. The 12th hole is about 340 from the whites. After one of my best drives of the day, I had about 60 yards in. I hit a three-quarter 54 degree wedge to about eight feet. Missed the birdie putt by a hair.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Pulled my drive on the 18th down the left side, bounced off a tree, and got a somewhat friendly kick onto the fairway. Lying about 230 yards from the flag, maybe 215-220 yardsΒ to the front of the green, playing uphill. To carry the ball to the front of the green would take a perfectly struck 3-hybrid for me, and that's stretching itΒ considering the uphill shot, but I also didn't feel like taking somethingΒ off a 3-wood. I also happened to beΒ surrounded by two other players on an adjacent hole who'sΒ balls had ended up near mine, so I felt like I had a gallery. Decided to go with the hybrid, and in front of an audience,Β I chunked it about 35 yards down the fairway. This left me at about 195 yards in. I had been swinging slower than normal all round working on a feel, but this is about a perfect 5-iron distance for me, so I made a full speed swing and left it about 6 inches from the hole for a tap in par.

-Peter

Played #2 yesterday. The par 3 sixth is known as the toughest par 3Β on the front 9. Β Playing at 178 and the last to hit, my friends all missed short and left. Hit my 5 iron and watched the baby draw going right at the flag. Moments later I tapped in the 1 footer!

Edited by boogielicious
Fixed the par 3 reference.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Since the golf courses are closed for the winter around here now, I'll share my best ever drive (summer 2019).Β 

We were playing the Levante course on Villaitana Golf Club in Benidorm (Spain), and on the 8th (550y par 5 from the yellows) I ripped the perfect drive in perfect conditions (15mps wind fromΒ behindΒ and hard fairways with good roll). 390 yards in the middle of the fairwayΒ leaving me with a soft 9 in. Missed the green and chipped/2-putted for par, but the feeling when I hit that ballΒ so hardΒ and pure was fantastic.Β 

I usually hit the ball pretty far when I hit it straight, but that was just silly. Β 

• Thumbs Up 1

In the bag: Callaway Mavrik SZ 10,5 driver (X stiff), Cobra King 4 wood (Stiff, 2006 model), Callaway Mavrik irons 4 - P+A (stiff), Cobra King Pur wedges 52, 56 and 60 (stiff) and Odessey white steel putter.Β Β Very happy with the set and the gapping.Β 

8 hours ago, Sandy Lie said:

Played #2 yesterday. The par 3 sixth is known as the toughest par 3Β on the front 9. Β Playing at 178 and the last to hit, my friends all missed short and left. Hit my 5 iron and watched the baby draw going right at the flag. Moments later I tapped in the 1 footer!

Β 

Actually the original reference as a β€œPar 5” is a bit of humor with the Members at Pinehurst. Β With bunkers left and right, the sloping green to the front, meaning anything short will roll back off the green. Β A bunker shot from the right side bunker if not hit delicately will finds itself in the left green side bunker. Β I guess I should have said so originally.
image.thumb.jpeg.3269e696ec5240bd0376fc8bfaaddd33.jpeg

14 hours ago, Sandy Lie said:

Actually the original reference as a β€œPar 5” is a bit of humor with the Members at Pinehurst. Β With bunkers left and right, the sloping green to the front, meaning anything short will roll back off the green. Β A bunker shot from the right side bunker if not hit delicately will finds itself in the left green side bunker. Β I guess I should have said so originally.
image.thumb.jpeg.3269e696ec5240bd0376fc8bfaaddd33.jpeg

Sorry I edited it. I thought it was a typo. My bad. The quotes and an emoji may have shown the humor better.Β 

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 2 weeks later...

My best shot this weekΒ happened to meΒ on our hardest hole 510yard PAR-5 double basin dog leg-left elevated fast running down ward green.. strong head wind. driver was roughΒ so hit a pull shot to underΒ large trees on the left corner ... punched aΒ Β 4Β iron to mid fairway within 145yards of the flag .... hit PWΒ pretty thinΒ that flew low but grabbed the green ended up couple inches to the hole>>

Go Foxy Go

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I think yesterday was my only golfing day of the week, so I’m gonna go ahead and post here.Β 

My best shot of the day yesterday was probably on my 25th hole of the day (the par-3 seventh). After a rotten tee shot in front of the front bunker (pin was also in front), I hit a nice pitch that landed exactly where I wanted it to, and it trickled down one of the many slopes on the fringe of this green and stopped within two feet of the cup for an easy par.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Playing 9 holes today, I hit my tee shot on the par 3 9th pin high about 8 feet right with my brand new 5 hybrid. I am a really short knocker even for a 62 year old, so I won’t mention the distance.

Anyway, I hit my birdie putt to end the round.

After dealing with COVID over the last few weeks (not fun, by the way)... I was able to get back out to the course for nine holes twice over the last week.Β  In both cases, I played just the front nine.Β  In both cases, I played awful golf.Β  In both cases, my highlights were at the 8th hole.Β Β 

On Thursday, it was playing 142 from the back tee.Β  I hit a solid 8 iron that started just left of the green and drifted back, catching the green and leaving me about 6 feet for birdie.Β  Although it was a tough putt (left to right, running away)... I drained it for my first birdie of 2021.

On Sunday evening, as the chill grew and the sun dropped... it was playing 152 from the back tee.Β  I clubbed up and hit a 7 iron that never left the stick.Β  It pitched about 4 feet in from of the hole and ran over the right edge of the cup... stopping 2 feet away.Β  This was an easy, uphill 2 footer so it was essentially a tap-in birdie.

Neither round has been good, but I've felt some good swings in there after having not touched my clubs for nearly three weeks.

Looking forward to seeing what this week brings!

CY

• Like 1

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71Β - Pine IslandΒ Country Club - 6/25/2022
-Β 9 HolesΒ - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Β 

Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Yesterday I had my best round of this year and 2nd best ever (87) on my local muni.. Downhill par 4 only 323 yards. It's usuallyΒ a 7-9 iron with a decent drive and my limited distances. I hooked the drive short left probably only 155 yards and wind up blocked by a large tree 50 yards ahead blocking my path to the green. I try hitting a 3 wood aiming right of the green. It was a hillside lie and I duff the 3 wood 25 yards left further blocking my shot to the green. Although this time I am left of the first large tree (65')Β lining the left edge of the fairwayΒ but have 2 smaller trees maybe 35-40 feet tall blocking my way to a 15 foot elevated green. I hit a 5 iron and much to my surprise it takes off dead for the pin avoiding the tall reaching limbs of the big tree and sailing clear over the smaller two trees. I stick the green 14 feet short of the pin but with an uphill putt which I preffer, especially on this green as if you miss putting down hill it rolls out 8-15 ft usually. 2 putt to save a bogey andΒ my second best round.

Edited by topoftheline89

WITB:

:ping:Β G25 8.5 with Hazardous black stiff shaft. AnserΒ 3W 15 degree

Β :mizuno:Β MP-14 3-9. 51* Mizuno, :cleveland:54* Cleveland RAW ,60*Β  588Β :odyssey:Β #2 Stricker special

• 4 weeks later...

Had few options for best shot of the week, which was nice, but this one came on a tough hole for me.

6-iron from ~190 yards, high and straight at the flag. Plopped downΒ about 6 feet from the hole. Rolled in the birdie putt.

4041195D-D285-4DC3-A738-E75674F1007C.thumb.png.cf534756f7424dd7d9e169d891502621.pngB89E770F-3A4C-4451-B32F-E4202E0EA911.thumb.png.40fe90d3cffe4e8e41b1c59f6c7cc14b.png

• Thumbs Up 1

-Peter

• 1 month later...

Second shot, number 9 on Randolph North in Tucson.Β  Short par five, around 450.Β  Drive wasn't bad, for me, about 235 into the left "rough" (right now it's dormant, kind of crunched down Bermuda, so it's closer to hardpan with a little cushion).Β  There is a PA (no water this time of year, you can play out of it, but it isn't nice) from about 95 to 160 yards from where I was, so clearing it isn't quite automatic for me.Β  I told the guy I was playing with that I liked the angle better from the fairway, there are two bunkers in front, and from where I was the middle of the green was wide open.Β  I hit my five wood (adjusted strong), and I knew it was straight, and I thought I hit it well, but I lost sight of it about halfway there.Β  I was walking toward the hole, looking for my ball between the PA and the green, figuring I could have hit just at the far sideΒ of the PA, and killed the ball.Β  My buddy was in a cart, and got up around the green first, and said... "Keep walking!"Β  Then he said, "Think about three!" I was hole high, smack in the line I intended (right between the bunkers), about 12 feet from the hole.Β  I missed the eagle (would have been a first), but made the birdie coming back, and was pretty happy!

• Like 1

Yesterday I drove left on a 315 yard par 4 and ended up 30 yards behindΒ a tree and 130 out. The tree was in the way of my path to the slightly elevated green about 10'Β high. Put plenty of shaft lean on my 4 iron and hit a 100 yard carry punch right under the tree which hit the hill and skipped to about 10' high of the pin. Made the 10 foot downhill breaker for birdie! For a poor drive it was great to make a birdie out of it.

• Thumbs Up 1

WITB:

:ping:Β G25 8.5 with Hazardous black stiff shaft. AnserΒ 3W 15 degree

Β :mizuno:Β MP-14 3-9. 51* Mizuno, :cleveland:54* Cleveland RAW ,60*Β  588Β :odyssey:Β #2 Stricker special

• 2 weeks later...

Had a bunch of shots to consider this week, but picked a simple one.

The approach shot to the par-4 #5 hole on my home course always kicks my ass for some reason.Β Maybe I have psychological scar tissue from many bad shots/lost balls here. It's a short hole, so hybrid off the tee is my usual play leaving anything between LW and 7-iron into the green, depending on quality of the tee shot and tee location.

The approach is over a creek, so topped or badly chunked balls usually end up in the penalty area. The green is one of the largest on the course, so it is not an intimidating target, but the approach isΒ usually from a lie with the ball an inch or two below your feet, which adds a bit of difficulty for me to get good contact.

On Sunday, I was in fairway, about 150 yards from the flag. Hit a smooth PW to the center of the green. Lipped out a 40-ft birdie putt and tapped in for par. Hopefully this shot wasΒ a harbinger of good approaches to this green going forward.

• Like 1

-Peter