IGNORED

Best Shot of the Week

iacas

Playing this past Sunday on the second day of our club championship, I struck very solid 6 hybrid into the wind from about 155 yards out from the tee of a par 3 on the back 9. My ball came to rest pin high and about 8 feet away. Prior to purchasing my new 6 hybrid, I had been struggling with striking my 6 iron for quite some time. I'm very pleased that I decided to switch over to a 6 hybrid. The greens were fast that day so sadly, I have to report that I did miss my birdie putt and was only able to record a par for that particular hole.

Fairways and Greens,

Frank

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

164 yard par three. Bad swing on the tee leaves me in a bunker about 12 yards short of the green, so I have a bunker shot of around 25 yards to the pin. 56 degree wedge out of the bunker to around 3 feet and make par, frustrating my opponent who hit a great shot to around 8 feet and two putted. 

Bill M

Par 3, 180 yds to center of the green, 20mph wind into and off the right, all carry over water (~168-170yds IIRC) to the front of the green.

I have been practicing a knockdown/stinger 4 iron at the driving range which has been going right about 190 yds in the air, decided this was the perfect time to test it out.

Made perfect contact and the slight fade held against the wind off the right which kept it straight, ball stayed under the tops of the trees the entire flight, perfect trajectory and landed and stopped on the middle/right edge of the green. 

The contact and the flight were so pure and it was exactly the shot that was required in that situation and gave me a ton of confidence to execute it exactly how I had pictured/practiced.

image.png

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

• 2 weeks later...

Made a 30-foot putt to save par on par-4 #17 in my last round. I guess technically it wasn't a putt because it was just onto the fringe. Hit my best drive of the day leaving only a partial SW from 90 yards out. Blocked it straight right and missed the green 10 yards right, pin high, but 6-feet below the surface. Hit a so-so shot that rolled out more than I wanted to the opposite fringe. There wasn't a ton of break, and it was flat or maybe slightly downhill, but I don't make many 30 footers, so I was pleased to see it go in.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

110 yd gap wedge that landed 1 yd in front of the flag, hopped 4 yds and stopped on a dime 3 yds behing the pin. Made the birdie! (first of the year)

• Upvote 1

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

Last hole of my last round. Short par 5 450 yards but it goes from a tee box that is 40 yards below the bunkers that you see and the trees are about 50 yards above the tee box at about 200-220 yards out. Hit a fade over the trees and we didn’t hear it hit anything so I figured I should be safe. Came up over the hill and couldn’t find the ball anywhere. Dropped a ball 180 yards out and a guy in our group pointed out a ball that was a good 35 yards further down the fairway. So I only had 145 yards to the pin (135 to the green) on a par 5. Hit my 8 iron to about 5 yards and again missed my chance at my first eagle and missed my putt by 1,5’. Another round with a tap in birdie to finish. 

7BBB8E60-B2EE-4C4D-A5FD-FB9DCFF08C9E.jpeg

379 yard uphill par four. #1 handicap hole. Against the wind as well so my well placed drive doesn't really help me when deciding to go for the green. There are multiple bunkers around the green, including one that is about 30 yards short of the green. If I miss the approach just a little, experience tells me that I will end up in that bunker, leaving a long difficult bunker shot. I am getting a shot on the hole vs my opponents so I decide to layup, leaving me back far enough so I can hit a full gap wedge. I am much better with that club with a full swing. After my layup, one of my opponents hit a poor shot into a greenside bunker, leaving him a severe downhill shot to the pin. The other guy hits his approach on the green, but long, and leaves a 40 foot downhiller. I hit my gap wedge to two feet. Kick in par. The guy on the green two putts, but to no avail, due to my getting the shot. It makes the difference in winning the front. 

Bill M

Par 4, 382 yds, my tee shot found the side of a mound in the rough. To add to it, tree branches blocked an elevated 140 to the pin shot. Took out a 7 iron and punched it low, under the branches, and the balled rolled up 4 feet from a back pin placement. Made the birdie putt when it could have been much worse. One of two birds I got saturday.

Edited by Billy Z
typo

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

Played my first two round of the year this weekend. I played a half decent first round and a horrible second round, but I hit a couple of gems between the bad shots. 

On hole 5 on the first round, a 360 yards par 4, I hit a 5 iron to the fairway bunker placed in the middle of the fairway and was left with a 130 yard bunker shot quite close to a high bunker lip. Hit my AW perfectly from there and landed it 12 feet short, to 3-put it for a bogey. A fantastic feeling to hit the ball so crisp from that lie. 

On hole 6 on the second round, a 150 yards par 3, which played a lot longer into 25 mph wind. I hit a chippy, low 7 iron and managed to keep it under the wind with enough spin to sit 8 feet from the pin and sunk the birdieput for my first birdie of the year. The good feeling didn't last long though, shot 101 for my highest round in 10 months.     

In the bag: Callaway Mavrik SZ 10,5 driver (X stiff), Cobra King 4 wood (Stiff, 2006 model), Callaway Mavrik irons 4 - P+A (stiff), Cobra King Pur wedges 52, 56 and 60 (stiff) and Odessey white steel putter.  Very happy with the set and the gapping. 

Par 5 #5 playing about 450 yards from winter tees with hard dry conditions and lots of roll. Bad (slice) drive left me about 220 out from the right rough and I hit a 4H to about 3 feet for my first ever eagle (not counting scrambles). Making the eagle putt was the second best shot. 

I also hit a drive 255 based on GPS and then hit another 4H about 220 over the green on the other par 5. We won't discuss the rest of the hole.

IMG_20210406_162717714.thumb.jpg.52b8b7d807a16cea2bd8cbe46a010fa0.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

War Eagle!

2 minutes ago, The Flush said:

Par 5 #5 playing about 450 yards from winter tees with hard dry conditions and lots of roll. Bad (slice) drive left me about 220 out from the right rough and I hit a 4H to about 3 feet for my first ever eagle (not counting scrambles). Making the eagle putt was the second best shot. 

I also hit a drive 255 based on GPS and then hit another 4H about 220 over the green on the other par 5. We won't discuss the rest of the hole.

Nice freshly aerated greens as well. You have to hit it close! LOL

3 minutes ago, The Flush said:

2 out of 3 ain't bad.  And from the look of that flagpole you had a little wind...

• Like 1

It's only Tuesday but I'm pretty sure I won't be topping what happened today anytime soon at the home course.

Hole #2 is a par 5. Great drive to left side of the fairway, 5i approach shot clipped some leaves on the two giant oak tree's so I came up a little short. 12-15 yard chip in for Eagle.

Hole #3 is a par 4. It's just a straight hole. Another great drive followed by a chunky PW. Holed out for birdie from about 35-40 yards out. This one was probably my favorite of the day because the pin was in the back and it's a narrow green with some right to left slope in it.

Hole #9 is a par 5. Another good drive followed by a thinned 5w that ran up really well anyway. Holed out for Eagle from about 65-70 yards.

Undecided on what I should do with the ball. My friends say ONLY play that ball until I lose it. 

:titleist:

Pulled my drive on 12 into the trees on the left. Ball sat about a foot to the left and behind a tree with a small window to punch out to the right of another tree about 10 yards ahead. Hole doglegs left so I needed to draw the shot to get it near the green.

Described exactly what I wanted to do to a playing partner while we waited for the green to clear and hit a low drawing 6i perfectly through the opening that rolled just to the right of the hole and ended up in the fringe, 15’ from the pin.

The hole was cut at the bottom of a mound that I was on top of, so I had a downhill right to left putt with about a 5’ break. Drained it for birdie and did a fist pump.

I’ll give the shot of the week to the punch out, but both shots qualified. It was just a great result from a bad tee shot.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Very first hole of the day. Sharp dogleg left so I hit hybrid off the tee which gave me 187 left to the hole which was cut middle right of the green with a big ridge that goes lengthwise down the middle of the green. 

Grab a 6 iron, aim left side of the green playing for my normal slight fade, absolutely flush it, watching as it fades back to the middle of the green, lands right on the slope which kicked it straight right, rolls for a couple feet then it drops into the hole for an eagle!!

By far the furthest I've ever holed out from and was awesome that I actually got to see it rolling then completely disappear into the hole!

image.png

• Like 2

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Today I was playing with 3 guys from New Jersey.  Git outa here! Anyway the 16th hole on #8 plays about 340, wetlands carry, bunkers left and right side of the fairway. Hit the 3 wood and found the right bunker. Shot the pin at 138. The green slopes from the high right side and everything runs downhill left. Pin was back. Had to clear the lip of the bunker, decided to hit the 9 iron. Take my swing and it hits the bunker edge and the ball is coming right back at me. Now this will sound strange but as it happened it felt like everything was in slow motion. I side stepped the ball and watched it fly by and it landed 5 yards further back in the trap.  Well, the front lip is no longer in play so I struck it again. Ball was going where I wanted it to right of the flag and it released past the pin to the edge of the green. Now I have a 12 footer back up to the pin with about 3 feet of break......and down it goes!  A head shaker of a par.

Last Monday, I set up this shot by donking my tee shot off the heel of my driver, leaving myself about 225 yards to the green on a par four.  I pulled my three wood out and nuked it.  My kids kept telling me it was on the green, but I was sure it was in the swale in front of the green.  Well, their eyes are better than mine, because my ball was about 20 feet right of the pin.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Number 12 at Bent Tree Golf Course in Sunbury. It was playing about 375 from the back tees I was playing. (Indecently, they call them the back tees, but they aren't. The Championship tees are further back... odd.) Anyway, Hit driver to about 125. Hit my 9 iron off the hosel to about 20 yards right of the green. Tried to hit a flop shot to a front pin location. Instead I hit the ball on its forehead and sent it skidding all the way over the green and down about a 15 foot drop on the other side of the green. 

*** Then hit my shot of the week. A beautiful 60 degree wedge back onto the green and gently rolled into the cup for a par.***2044325138_Number12A.thumb.jpg.9d6e39e0b2d01f1338ef9d1c9142e160.jpg

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with.