IGNORED

2017 Farmers Insurance Open Discussion Thread

colin007
Note: This thread is 2638 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Tiger is finished. He'll never compete for wins again. I know thats a extreme thing to say after a few rounds back but i feel like its true. His rebuilt swing looks terrible and disjointed. He's had over a year to work on it and this is the result? He pops up and chases every single full swing he makes. And his game breaks down after every run of success. Shoot under par? Here comes 78 the next day! Make 3 birders in a row? Well here comes 4 doubles in a row...lol. I still like having him out there, but I'm not counting on anything from him anymore. 

None of this seems implausible, but I feel it's awfully premature.  Consider any other player without Tiger's spotlight ... they would probably not play too well either in their first few tournaments back after a long injury layoff, yet we'd be none the wiser because we weren't paying attention.

Let's see how this 5 week stretch plays out and then we should have a much better idea where he stands.

I don't disagree, though - his swing looked goofy yesterday.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

21 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

None of this seems implausible, but I feel it's awfully premature.  Consider any other player without Tiger's spotlight ... they would probably not play too well either in their first few tournaments back after a long injury layoff, yet we'd be none the wiser because we weren't paying attention.

Let's see how this 5 week stretch plays out and then we should have a much better idea where he stands.

Perhaps, and you're probably right. Its just my gut feeling. We're talking about tiger freaking woods here. Scratch golf isn't good enough. And it doesnt look like he's going to be able to execute the shots he needs to win with that band-aid swing he is wheeling right now. 

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
Just now, Groucho Valentine said:

Perhaps, and you're probably right. Its just my gut feeling. We're talking about tiger freaking woods here. Scratch golf isn't good enough. And it doesnt look like he's going to be able to execute the shots he needs to win with that band-aid swing he is wheeling right now. 

If this prediction is as good as your MLB predictions… I'll take that.

• Upvote 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

9 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

1 hour ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Tiger is finished. He'll never compete for wins again. I know thats a extreme thing to say after a few rounds back but i feel like its true. His rebuilt swing looks terrible and disjointed. He's had over a year to work on it and this is the result? He pops up and chases every single full swing he makes. And his game breaks down after every run of success. Shoot under par? Here comes 78 the next day! Make 3 birders in a row? Well here comes 4 doubles in a row...lol. I still like having him out there, but I'm not counting on anything from him anymore. 

the swing def looked wonky yesterday on a lot of his shots, but remember how good it looked in Bahamas?

Colin P.

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

If this prediction is as good as your MLB predictions… I'll take that.

Tiger needs to grow his hair down to his shoulders to get in with that. 

2 minutes ago, colin007 said:

the swing def looked wonky yesterday on a lot of his shots, but remember how good it looked in Bahamas?

He made some nice swings from the limited coverage i saw at the Hero. Putter looked great. But what i saw yesterday went beyond just the personal quirks that make swings unique, it looked wounded and unusable. 

Not to seem too Tiger centric, so hey, is that Hunter Mahan on the leaderboard? Haven't seen him in awhile. Canadians are doing well.

• Upvote 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

1 minute ago, nevets88 said:

Not to seem too Tiger centric, so hey, is that Hunter Mahan on the leaderboard? Haven't seen him in awhile.

Hey, it is!!  Tied with him is also Keegan Bradley.  Hasn't been as long with him, but it's also been awhile.

5 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Hey, it is!!  Tied with him is also Keegan Bradley.  Hasn't been as long with him, but it's also been awhile.

Hunter Mahan carried his own bag on the LIRR, so he gets respect from me. :-D

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Just now, nevets88 said:

Hunter Mahan carried his own bag on the LIRR, so he gets respect from me. :-D

Funny, that pic of him in Penn Station is something I think of every time he gets mentioned.  (Maybe would've been even funnier if his caddy was with him for the commute)

• Administrator

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

38 minutes ago, iacas said:

Ever since I've started with the site on a regular basis in May/June, I've come to realize many commentators gave no idea about what they're speaking

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Freddy and Trevino come to mind, and with opposite shot shapes. As @woodzie264 said, those guys commentating are clueless sometimes.

One of the things I love about this tournament (the venue really) is the chain link fences. I love that you have the best golfers in the world on the tee and there's muni style chain link fences behind them.

Colin P.

• Administrator
41 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Freddy and Trevino come to mind, and with opposite shot shapes. As @woodzie264 said, those guys commentating are clueless sometimes.

Two prime examples. People would exclude Trevino since he played a fade, but… he started the ball WELL right of his target line. And his ball didn't fade much.

35 minutes ago, iacas said:

Two prime examples. People would exclude Trevino since he played a fade, but… he started the ball WELL right of his target line. And his ball didn't fade much.

Correct, he certainly wasn't playing an Azinger fade.

Colin P.

• Administrator

He could have chosen an easier golf course, like the one at the HERO tournament. But Tiger's always played better (when he's healthy and playing well) comparatively on tougher golf courses, so… that also made it a poor choice for his return to PGA Tour golf.

39 minutes ago, iacas said:

He could turn it over R to L out of that open stance when he wanted to as well. Those draws would start well right of where his feet were aimed and curve quite a bit left. If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes(Chester Valley CC) I would have thought it was an exaggeration. Watching him work the ball around a golf course was really something.

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, RH31 said:

He could turn it over R to L out of that open stance when he wanted to as well. Those draws would start well right of where his feet were aimed and curve quite a bit left. If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes(Chester Valley CC) I would have thought it was an exaggeration. Watching him work the ball around a golf course was really something.

Right.

In case I was unclear, I wouldn't exclude Lee. A few dumb announcers might… ;-)

Note: This thread is 2638 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!