IGNORED

PING Introduces Glide 2.0 Wedges

iacas
Note: This thread is 2317 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

40 minutes ago, jjfcpa said:

I really tried to like RTX-3's but in the end, I ordered a 50* and 56* Ping glide 2.0.  I should have known better since last year I was playing the Ping Glide and got sucked in my the hype that RTX-3's could do me better.  Not the case.  Arrive tomorrow and can't wait.

I can't wait to hear this review. I'm a bit of a Ping fanatic but got sucked into the RTX3 hype. They're great wedges and I love hitting balls with them at the range. But, they're not working as well as I hoped while playing. Length and lie match the rest of my set but something is off...  they just feel different when swinging. It's probably all in my head, but I'm one thinned bunker shot away from ordering the Glide 2.0s.

• 4 weeks later...

I was just thinking I should get a 50/12 before the season starts, then realized I have no store nearby to try them out at anymore. Guess I'll just get one sight unseen and hope for the best.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 months later...

Well I am gaming the glide 1.0 in 54ss and 58ss. These are red dot plus 1/2 inch gold grip. My regular irons are g25 black dot  plus 1/2 gold. This was done per the fitter.  I love them but I would have liked to tried the WS but being a lefty. I should make it to a demo day and try the 2.0 in WS and ES.  It's only money right?

Driver G with Tour 65 shaft 10.5 neutral setting by :ping:
3W G30, #3 and #4 Hybrid, Irons 5 to GW G25 by :ping:
54 & 58 Glide Wedges and putter Cadence TR Anser 2  Traditional also by :ping:
Ball TriSpeed Tour by :srixon: Shoes M Project Wide by :footjoy:
Bag and Push cart by :sunmountain:

For now all my wedges are Edel. I didn't give those or either of my scotties to my bro with the rest of the bag last year.

but those are stunning.

Edited by Apoc81

I have the 56 WS bent to 55 and the 60 ES bent to 59...PX 5.5.  I absolutely love these wedges. I have a 54 Edel Wedge (digger) that has been fantastic and it was hard to take it out of the bag...but I'm loving the Glides 2.0! The 60 ES has really improved my bunker play and I'm really getting some great ball action with the WS 56. Great wedges!

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I just recently got 56-14 glide 2.0 I was a Callaway Mack daddy guy practically a spokesman. Went to take my lesson last week my PGA pro had me try it out, best decision I ever made can really tell a difference. I have a problem hitting the ball slighlty fat sometimes and this club just covers that up with minimal distance loss. A little less height but holds greens very well.

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up the 60 ES to replace my PM Grind lob wedge, and I really like it so far. I've been using around the greens for anything that doesn't require a long run out. It's done a good job in that regard, and I've also been able to pull off a couple nice flop shots. I've only played it out to about 50 yards so far, but I rarely hit a full shot with a lob wedge. If my initial impression lasts, this could be the beginning of beautiful friendship.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

• Administrator
21 hours ago, georgep said:

I just picked up the 60 ES to replace my PM Grind lob wedge, and I really like it so far. I've been using around the greens for anything that doesn't require a long run out. It's done a good job in that regard, and I've also been able to pull off a couple nice flop shots. I've only played it out to about 50 yards so far, but I rarely hit a full shot with a lob wedge. If my initial impression lasts, this could be the beginning of beautiful friendship.

They weren't lying when they said these new wedges have a LOT more spin. They do!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...

My current wedges match my Ping i20 set, I currently have a PW (46/12), GW (50/13), SW (54/14), and LW (58/don't know the bounce), but am thinking about going back to only 3 wedges for a few reasons.  First, I currently have 15 clubs in the bag that I rotate in and out depending on the course I play, mainly swap between a hybrid or 5 wood and either my GW or LW.  Second, I think I want to only focus on distances and different shot types with 3 wedges.  And third, I think I am missing out on better wedge play by using the i20 wedges compared the Glide 2.0's.

My 9 iron has a loft of 41, so thinking about going with the Glide 2.0 PW (48/SS), SW (54/ES), and LW (60/TS or WS). @iacas, I just noticed on the spec sheet that the PW comes in 46 and then jumps to 50, do you know if they will bend it if I order a 48?

My local store where I have always got fitted has closed, the owner decided to retire, so i'm basing the grinds on the current wear marks on my current wedges.  SS is standard for PWs, and I use my 54 mainly in the sand, unless i'm close to the lip, which is why I like the ES, and still undetermined for the LW, but leaning more towards the TS for more all around use compared to the WS.

I think I can go to Golf Galaxy to get fitted, but I can't buy from their stock as I want an unstandard loft PW and will add the KBS shafts, so figured I may as well order straight from Ping.

Edited by JGus

Gus
---------------

• Administrator
8 hours ago, ChillyDip69 said:

Looks like PING paid to advertise on this website given all the pro-bounce propaganda. 

Here are few facts for you…

• They did pay to advertise, this year (2017) and last year (2016).
  • My instructional partner Dave and I are responsible for the name of the Glide wedges, through our friend Marty at PING.
  • The topic cited below was started in 2012.
  • It's not "propaganda," it's good information. Look at not just what I teach, but what James Sieckmann teaches, Stan Utley, James Ridyard, etc. teach. Phil Rogers, going back in time a bit, was a fan of bounce. Bob Vokey will tell you all the time how important getting enough bounce is. "Bounce is your friend" he'll tell you.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...

Try out 5 wedges and cover up the head of the club so you don't know what club you are using. See which one is the best. No one with a financial incentive will give you an impartial thought. 

• Informative 1

• Administrator
3 hours ago, StefanUrkel said:

Try out 5 wedges and cover up the head of the club so you don't know what club you are using. See which one is the best. No one with a financial incentive will give you an impartial thought. 

I don't have a financial incentive to recommend Edel wedges to people who live 1500 miles from me. Or to buy PING wedges, as I don't sell them, and haven't gotten a penny for contributing the name to them.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, StefanUrkel said:

Are the glides the only wedges with low swingweight?

If you order them WRX, they can make them (almost) any swing weight you want. I ordered the 50 and 54 as D2 to match my irons. My 60 is heavier with an additional heel grind because I only use it for lies where the ball is completely buried. 

These wedges are amazing when combined with the right shaft. I find hitting buckets of sand wedges just to see how far back I can spin a range ball. 

IMG_4157.JPG

• 1 month later...

I used the original Glide wedges to test against my own wedge when i brought them out. They feel nice, but they're unbelievably hot. I couldn't control the distance on them and the spin wasn't what i expected out of a new wedge. Hopefully they've solved that issue with the 2.0.   Ping makes some great clubs otherwise. 

On 8/29/2017 at 10:08 AM, StefanUrkel said:

Are the glides the only wedges with low swingweight?

Nope. I keep my Vanillas around D2.  I think wedges are entirely too heavy to begin with. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/23/2017 at 6:48 PM, Jakester23 said:

Is this pretty common among better players? My gw and pw match my irons not my wedges.

It is, better players usually do not need the added distance and forgiveness that their irons offer and elect to go with a blade-style wedge to gain more feel and control.

• 1 month later...
On 1/23/2017 at 7:48 PM, Jakester23 said:

Is this pretty common among better players? My gw and pw match my irons not my wedges.

I am kind of weird I guess, I carry my Ping 25 GW which is 50* but I use a Fourteen 52* for most of my work around the greens. I know, I know, I should give up the GW but it came with the set and I do use it sometimes. Go figure, I guess whatever works for you and you feel comfortable with.....

• iacas unfeatured and unpinned this topic
Note: This thread is 2317 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!