IGNORED

Apple AirPods (and AirPods Pro)

iacas
Note: This thread is 1477 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

I just got my AirPods. Opened the case, and bam, the phone offered to connect to them.

Connecting to the computer required me to hit a little button that I didn't even notice at first.

I understand what people mean when they talk about how satisfying it is to open and close the case.

They aren't going to fall out - I think that people who are worried about them falling out (aside from those with unusually shaped/sized ears?) are not assigning enough blame to the cords on normal earbuds.

So far, these seem awesome… I can't wait to give them a try while I'm practicing (later today).

P.S. Virtually no need for these, though if you're super active and riding a bike or something like that, I can see the appeal for <$10.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Haven't used them yet, but my main concern is I'm afraid of losing them. There's like a pouch or something right?

I've heard when you go through BT, the sound quality is diminished, but I can't tell the difference.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Meh.. The corded earbuds work just fine for me. Im not much of an audiophile, though.  For those prices, just the possibility of losing one of them is enough for me to write them off. There are plenty of other bluetooth earbuds and headphones out there that aren't as expensive. 

Question, do they sound better than Apples normal headphones? 

I don't wear my headphones enough to use the features that give it the cost. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
24 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Haven't used them yet, but my main concern is I'm afraid of losing them. There's like a pouch or something right?

They come in a small charging case. Stick that in your pocket. When you're not using them, put them in there. No real chance of losing those unless you regularly lose things like your keys or wallet.

17 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Meh.. The corded earbuds work just fine for me. Im not much of an audiophile, though.  For those prices, just the possibility of losing one of them is enough for me to write them off. There are plenty of other bluetooth earbuds and headphones out there that aren't as expensive. 

Few if any work this well. They're a joy. I've had them in for a few hours now getting work done around the house.

6 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Question, do they sound better than Apples normal headphones?

I don't think they sound any better or worse. I've never really had a problem with the default ones, though I often use the Bose noise-canceling ones a few of the members here bought me a few years ago as a surprise gift. :-)

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

24 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

That's what I thought. That short cord under the chin BT earphones have is still annoying though, especially when jogging. I'm sure in a couple of years, there will be copies that are cheaper.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator

Cords suck.

I mean, I love my BOSE noise canceling earbuds, but the cord sucks on those, too. Not just routing it, but how much it tugs on the earbuds, worrying about it getting pinched when I stick my phone in my pocket, having to carry my phone around at all rather than just leaving it in one room while I wander around the house, etc.

More and more we're moving things to be cordless. Until now, Bluetooth has sucked badly enough that there were still bad tradeoffs.

18 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

That's what I thought. That short cord under the chin BT earphones have is still annoying though, especially when jogging. I'm sure in a couple of years, there will be copies that are cheaper.

Yeah, sometimes. But the cords have never really bothered me. Im not opposed to the idea of cordless earbuds, i just don't feel like paying $100+ bucks for them. 

Edited by Groucho Valentine

7 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Yeah, sometimes. But the cords have never really bothered me. Im not opposed to the idea of cordless earbuds, i just don't don't feeling paying $100+ bucks for them. 

You'll get no argument from me there. Now if they'll only hurry up, the manufacturers. :-)

Steve

4 hours ago, iacas said:

I just got my AirPods. Opened the case, and bam, the phone offered to connect to them.

Connecting to the computer required me to hit a little button that I didn't even notice at first.

I understand what people mean when they talk about how satisfying it is to open and close the case.

They aren't going to fall out - I think that people who are worried about them falling out (aside from those with unusually shaped/sized ears?) are not assigning enough blame to the cords on normal earbuds.

So far, these seem awesome… I can't wait to give them a try while I'm practicing (later today).

P.S. Virtually no need for these, though if you're super active and riding a bike or something like that, I can see the appeal for <$10.

Do they connect to any computer that has Bluetooth? I've been curious about them as I do listen to a lot of music using earbuds. With my birthday coming up they wouldn't be a bad gift idea to suggest to the wife.  

• Administrator
34 minutes ago, Gator Hazard said:

Do they connect to any computer that has Bluetooth? I've been curious about them as I do listen to a lot of music using earbuds. With my birthday coming up they wouldn't be a bad gift idea to suggest to the wife.  

I paired them quickly to my MacBook Pro.

https://www.theapplepost.com/how-to-pair-airpods-with-older-apple-products-and-more/

Same process:

1. Ensure that the EarPods are docked inside their case.
  2. Open the lid on the case but don’t remove the AirPods.
  3. On the back of the charging case you’ll find a circular button. Press and hold the button until the LED light between the two AirPods begins blinking.
  4. Begin pairing like you would any other device through the Bluetooth settings.

Pretty simple. Worked the first time.

The special chip in the AirPods is a Bluetooth chip that has some extra "magic sprinkles" so they work even better with the iPhone.

17 minutes ago, iacas said:

I paired them quickly to my MacBook Pro.

https://www.theapplepost.com/how-to-pair-airpods-with-older-apple-products-and-more/

Same process:

1. Ensure that the EarPods are docked inside their case.
  2. Open the lid on the case but don’t remove the AirPods.
  3. On the back of the charging case you’ll find a circular button. Press and hold the button until the LED light between the two AirPods begins blinking.
  4. Begin pairing like you would any other device through the Bluetooth settings.

Pretty simple. Worked the first time.

The special chip in the AirPods is a Bluetooth chip that has some extra "magic sprinkles" so they work even better with the iPhone.

Thanks!

Apple is adding Find My iPhone to AirPods functionality, but finds last known location of case, not the AirPods. It will also allow you to tell the AirPods to make a noise if battery allows it.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/24/14372932/apple-airpods-lost-find-my-iphone-app-support-ios-10-3

Steve

I have a pair of urBeats. I wasn't huge on the idea of wireless headphones, but it would be really nice to not have the tangled web of cords in my pocket. My only concern is battery life. I'd need to carry around chargers more often. I'd probably be fine 95% of the time, but that other 5% would be very frustrating. 

My main concern with the AirPods is the sound quality. The urBeats do a really good job of blocking out ambient sound. The few times I've forgotten to bring them to work and ended up using some EarPods I keep in my backpack really reinforce the difference. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, jamo said:

I have a pair of urBeats. I wasn't huge on the idea of wireless headphones, but it would be really nice to not have the tangled web of cords in my pocket. My only concern is battery life. I'd need to carry around chargers more often. I'd probably be fine 95% of the time, but that other 5% would be very frustrating. 

My main concern with the AirPods is the sound quality. The urBeats do a really good job of blocking out ambient sound. The few times I've forgotten to bring them to work and ended up using some EarPods I keep in my backpack really reinforce the difference. 

The AirPods seal out sound pretty well from what I could tell. I didn't even have the volume up very high and had a hard time hearing the quality of contact I was making with the ball. It was very muffled.

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, colin007 said:

I wear hearing aids and hate everything single thing Apple related. 

Okay then.

9 hours ago, iacas said:

Okay then.

Lol I know...The wife is an Apple devotee so I live in a philosophically divided household

I really wish I was able to wear buds but I wouldn't really hear much of anything without my hearing aids. Just jealous.

Colin P.

Note: This thread is 1477 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!