IGNORED

Swing Speed Increase With Less Effort

Note: This thread is 1745 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I can believe that an average golfer would gain 2-5 mph swing speed with this trick, but 30+ is a huge overestimation. The golf swing will suffer if every body part is stiff so loosening your arms will allow you to swing faster, but again not by that much.

-Matt

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

along the same lines regarding feel e.t.c.  There are a few videos out talking about "no turn cast drill" where you simply raise your club into correct position at the top without turning. What this does is picking it up with little effort, but in reality, without even thinking about it, there is plenty of turn as the video clearly shows.  The golfer may "feel" as if he is hitting from the top, when in reality it is a normal swing.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

(edited)
33 minutes ago, freshmanUTA said:

I can believe that an average golfer would gain 2-5 mph swing speed with this trick, but 30+ is a huge overestimation. The golf swing will suffer if every body part is stiff so loosening your arms will allow you to swing faster, but again not by that much.

-Matt

No tricks here.  He also mentions  a free flowing wrist thereby creating an additional lever. Its all cumulative.

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

38 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

No tricks here.  He also mentions  a free flowing wrist thereby creating an additional lever. Its all cumulative.

I've always understood that using your wrists as a hinge for club speed is good, so if by free flowing you mean using it as a hinge then yes it would benefit. If not, a free flowing wrist can cause problems with clubface control so unless you're able to master it I don't think that I would want to risk gaining some clubhead speed at the risk of not being able to control the club face. 

Edited by freshmanUTA
can't seem to fix the size of the font

7 minutes ago, freshmanUTA said:

I've always understood that using your wrists as a hinge for club speed is good, so if by free flowing you mean using it as a hinge then yes it would benefit. If not, a free flowing wrist can cause problems with clubface control so unless you're able to master it I don't think that I would want to risk gaining some clubhead speed at the risk of not being able to control the club face. 

Yes, that is basically what I meant. Just as in his description of "Loose Wrists" can easily be misconstrued as you point out. The thing I do not agree with is Paul's advise to exaggerate the wrist movements even if it meant wild hooks. He says he wants you to get the feeling what it means, then dial it back and incorporate with rotation.  For me, I find it easier to use the wrists if I am first relaxed in the forearms. So, yes, we are in agreement.

• Upvote 1

"James"

On 2/9/2017 at 11:22 AM, freshmanUTA said:

-Matt

No one in the video claimed 30+.  In the video, the student gained about 10.  And if you watch the video, the student didn't just loosen his wrists, he actually loosened his whole body.  His swing was so much more from the ground up when he loosened up. 

It's really not a "trick" either.   His first set of swings are so tight, his entire body is tight.  All he did to gain 10 MPH was loosen up and make a much better swing. 

On 1/24/2017 at 9:11 AM, Hacker James said:

A while back, I was following a certain instructor who was advocating what he termed "effortless arms". In general what he was referring to was depending on hip turn in a rotational swing combined with again what he termed "loose wrists" resulting in a swing with the feeling of absolutely no tension in the arms and a snapping of the wrists in the down swing. There is more to it than that, and I may may be over characterizing, but what intrigues me is his demonstration using an inexpensive swing speed monitor about the size of a large cell phone, he showed a swing speed  increase from 85 to 113 mph.  To me, this sounds like too high of an expectation. I do agree however, that tension in general is a robber of distance, I say tension as opposed to resistance, there is a difference.

On 2/11/2017 at 5:45 AM, Marty2019 said:

No one in the video claimed 30+.  In the video, the student gained about 10.  And if you watch the video, the student didn't just loosen his wrists, he actually loosened his whole body.  His swing was so much more from the ground up when he loosened up. 

It's really not a "trick" either.   His first set of swings are so tight, his entire body is tight.  All he did to gain 10 MPH was loosen up and make a much better swing. 

That looks like 28mph.

The swing is not a relaxed thing. Otherwise, it would be really easy to do, and we all know that it's not even close to "easy". A totally relaxed swing is going to get a SS of 0mph. You only get out what you put in.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• 2 years later...

Regarding effortless power i.e. Paul Wilson etc. buyer beware. The appearance of smooth effortless power is the product of years of practice and more accurately described by "timing and rhythm". Anyone promoting a bent elbow half swing or quarter hip turn with no effort is selling you swampland in Florida. The only way this can be achieved is with a heavily weighted club (almost always a driver.) Nobody doing these promotions ever provides club specs. From Sir Isaac Newton we know that Force equals Mass times Acceleration. Acceleration is the square of velocity. Bent elbow, wristy, half swings have low velocity meaning that the force must be coming from mass. Try it sometime with lead weights. Works great with a limited backswing but is still cheating.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, daryl rotondo said:

From Sir Isaac Newton we know that Force equals Mass times Acceleration. Acceleration is the square of velocity. Bent elbow, wristy, half swings have low velocity meaning that the force must be coming from mass. Try it sometime with lead weights. Works great with a limited backswing but is still cheating.

That's not how that works. You've got it backward, basically.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

22 hours ago, daryl rotondo said:

Regarding effortless power i.e. Paul Wilson etc. buyer beware. The appearance of smooth effortless power is the product of years of practice and more accurately described by "timing and rhythm". Anyone promoting a bent elbow half swing or quarter hip turn with no effort is selling you swampland in Florida. The only way this can be achieved is with a heavily weighted club (almost always a driver.) Nobody doing these promotions ever provides club specs. From Sir Isaac Newton we know that Force equals Mass times Acceleration. Acceleration is the square of velocity. Bent elbow, wristy, half swings have low velocity meaning that the force must be coming from mass. Try it sometime with lead weights. Works great with a limited backswing but is still cheating.

I am a firm believer that it is better to approach the golf swing from a position of being loose and passive than tight and strictly controlled.  If you have to err on the side of too loose, (ie. not enough grip pressure, arms too passive etc.), this is better than to err from the other side (ie. death grip on club, arms stiff and flexed with high tension).   A new golfer is much more likely to make decent contact with the ball having the body swing passive arms gripping the club lightly than the opposite.  It's better to firm things up from a loose passive condition than to loosen up from a condition of high tension.  

So from the above, I believe Paul Wilson's instruction is not a bad place to start and at the very least not destructive.   BTW:  He doesn't advocate a bent lead elbow.  He simply doesn't care if the lead arm bends while remaining passive.  It's not really a fundamental anyway, look at Angel Cabrera's swing and the power he generates with a very bent lead arm (in the backswing).  

In my Bag:

Driver - SLDR 430 - 10.5 deg
3 Wood - SLDR HL
Irons - TM Tour CB's                                                                                                                                                                 Wedges - TM                                                                                                                                                                               Putter - Odyssey White Ice 2 Ball

• iacas changed the title to Swing Speed Increase With Less Effort

The secret to hitting the ball farther and straighter, with less effort, is to use less effort.  One cannot go the extra mile and shorten a journey at the same time.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

If one were to take an axe, turn it backwards and swing it back to half shoulder height; then drop your right elbow with a little help with your right hand you would generate incredible club head speed because of the "mass". In most of his videos Paul Wilson is "winded" half the time indicating his oxygen intake is low. He is in the business of making money. There are no easy shortcuts to generating power and club head speed. His timing and rhythm are however superlative. Check out the 21 year old pro Aaron Wise if you want see how to generate power. Boxers don't swing easy to knock people out and neither should golfers. Your right hand and forearms have to get involved (at the right time) to generate power or we would all be swinging with one hand. Mr. Wilson is using a weighted club.

• Administrator
44 minutes ago, daryl rotondo said:

Mr. Wilson is using a weighted club.

I doubt it. Speed matters more than mass.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 1/27/2017 at 9:59 AM, iacas said:

There's a mountain of evidence out there that speaks to this.

Your perception of something changes in the instant the outcome is known. A basketball player puts up a last-second jumper after dribbling around a defender or two, and if the shot goes in his memory, how he felt his body was working, the effort expended, etc. during that time is mostly of ease, fluidity, etc. If it bricks, he'll talk about how it felt funny coming off his fingertips, how he struggled to get around the defenders and was worried about the clock, etc.

We see it on a much bigger level after, say, the Super Bowl or the Stanley Cup Finals or whatever: the winning team feels no pain, the losing team is already nursing their injuries.

Such is the power of the chemicals in our brains and bodies.

The effect of the shot literally changes our memory or feelings about what just happened.

That’s where hitting into a net with a good launch monitor comes in handy. Hit the shot, judge/call the shot, THEN look at the data or the visual. That’s helped me a lot because as you eloquently pointed out, your perception is based largely on result. You take seeing the result out of play and base it on feel, then look at the numbers, you can get almost hypersensitive or aware of your strike and motion. Quickly too. Helps me those periods where you don’t get to play much and can at least stay in “maintenance” mode and find the swing or feel more quickly. 

On 6/14/2019 at 10:45 PM, daryl rotondo said:

Paul Wilson is "winded" half the time indicating his oxygen intake is low.

I've noticed this in his videos also. He needs to get that checked out. Even a couple full out swings shouldn't get you that winded. And in some of the videos he hasn't even swung a club and sounds like that.

Note: This thread is 1745 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!