IGNORED

What Stats to Expose in GAME GOLF?

iacas
Note: This thread is 2620 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I would like to see stat splits for different putters, like how we have it for different drivers or irons. 

I like a lot of what RandallT wrote.

I also do check out the approach page and break it down by club so Im familiar with how it looks now. I would like though to know many shots are within the circle drawn when you hover over a shot. 15 yard circle they use now is 45 feet. What should be good make %s for each type of club within 15 yards?

I think maybe another circle drawn of 30 yards would be usefl to see %s in that range. Even right now, a circle isnt created on the shots that werent within 15 yards.

Edited by cutchemist42

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For me what I always wanted is stats per hole.

For instance I would like to be able to filter on a specific hole and see how often I miss the FW make a GIR, birdie, par on a particular hole and then break that down into what clubs I used so I can check my strategy on that particular hole.

What Arccos lets you do is see all your shots from all rounds on a particular hole and then colors them differently depending on your end score so you can look for trends.

6 hours ago, FrankfurtDave said:

For me what I always wanted is stats per hole.

For instance I would like to be able to filter on a specific hole and see how often I miss the FW make a GIR, birdie, par on a particular hole and then break that down into what clubs I used so I can check my strategy on that particular hole.

This would be interesting.  It would be nice to see the big green field in "Off The TEE" filtered not just by rounds, but by particular hole at a course (and then by date/round).

As mentioned previously, putts/GIR would be nice.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

This is me thinking out aloud more than anything else, so it could be complete 'meh' idea but the GG system already has a wealth of stats available and additional useful stats are hard to think of. So here goes:

Driver shot stat that is derived by discarding the top 5% distance drives, taking the remaining shots and displaying what the 75th percentile distance is.

IMO this is what I should 'strive to achieve' for EVERY drive type stat, and not necessarily a 'likelihood' to achieve stat. It is a small departure from shot zone thinking but it is what I feel like I intuitively think as what distance I should expect to hit (this is NOT statistical average) every time get up on the tee with driver in hand. It also drives my 'improvement' planning towards this number.  

Others might be drawn to 65th, 85th percentile, whatever. Maybe show those too.

Vishal S.

Can't game golf give you every stat that you can find on PGA stats site?

I would love to know my average score on a hole when I am 50 yard away, 60 yards away...150 yards away...200 yards away.

Then the same for when I am in the rough and when on the fairway and when off the tee.

On 1/29/2017 at 9:15 AM, GolfLug said:

Driver shot stat that is derived by discarding the top 5% distance drives, taking the remaining shots and displaying what the 75th percentile distance is.

Why truncate it? If you just used the lower bound of the upper quartile that would make it easier to compare to Broadie's Every Shot Counts baselines by his HCP equivalent of typical score on typical course.

Kevin

9 hours ago, natureboy said:

Why truncate it? If you just used the lower bound of the upper quartile that would make it easier to compare to Broadie's Every Shot Counts baselines by his HCP equivalent of typical score on typical course.

Thanks. Just my personal take on data skew reduction, specifically for driving. Longer the distance, fuzzier the data set on the spectrum tips, especially on the high side.

Have only flipped through certain pages of Broadie's book.

Vishal S.

Some of these have been mentioned by others, but I'd also like to see more putting and short game stats:

1. Putts/GIR
  2. Putts holed % from different distance breakdowns
  3. Putting average from different distances
  4. Short game proximity to the hole. I know there's an insights page you can use but it's kind of all one big lump, I'd like to see it broken down more.
  5. Scoring average from different distances, left/right rough, fairway, bunkers, etc.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I think the app is great as is. But I suppose it would be nice to see what my GIR (nGIR) % is when given the opportunity. That would include all par 3's, and the par 4's and 5's when my previous shots haven't wrecked any chances for a GIR.

Anyway, what might be useful for me...

1. % GIR/Opportunity

2. Average dispersion for approach shots in the Approach the Green feature (can be sorted by club, distance to target, lies)

While GIR% (or nGIR%) is a useful stat, I like the Approach the Green feature more. Improving dispersion would improve those other stats. The ability to sort by clubs, distances and lies helps define a specific weakness.  

As a poorer player, the increase of errant tee shots and par 5 2nd shots - which often result in penalties or require punch outs - would seem to adversely affect GIR stats. If the GIR stat doesn't separate the possible reasons for a missed green, it isn't as effective of a stat IMO.

Jon

Greens Hit % separated by club to truly ID over a period of time your best and least reliable clubs.

Average +/- to par on holes that I hit fairway off tee box vs not. How much am I really giving up with errant tee shots.

Edited by Barbarian

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps too late but that arccos thread made me think of this:

could Game Golf analyze the putts (misses only) to see which were long or short.  Right or left. 

If so, then there could be a set of reports that says X percent of your misses are short right, for example. Would take a fair amount of geometry to analyze but possible I would think. 

Also it opens up broad stats like: scratch golfers hit 2 ft past the hole 73% of the time form 15ft. But bogey golfers leave it short 54% of the time. 

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

19 minutes ago, RandallT said:

could Game Golf analyze the putts (misses only) to see which were long or short.  Right or left. 

If so, then there could be a set of reports that says X percent of your misses are short right, for example. Would take a fair amount of geometry to analyze but possible I would think. 

Also it opens up broad stats like: scratch golfers hit 2 ft past the hole 73% of the time form 15ft. But bogey golfers leave it short 54% of the time. 

This would be great, but it's pushing the limits (I think) of what you could get out of "user-moderated" data. I don't think people are accurate enough about their putting data to make this useful...they already struggle with even the basics (putt distance).

- John

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Hardspoon said:

This would be great, but it's pushing the limits (I think) of what you could get out of "user-moderated" data. I don't think people are accurate enough about their putting data to make this useful...they already struggle with even the basics (putt distance).

This.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

10 hours ago, RandallT said:

10 hours ago, Hardspoon said:

9 hours ago, iacas said:

This.

Yeah, I try to get my distances pretty close-ish, but I know I'm not trying to get right or left correct in editing it.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

21 hours ago, iacas said:

This.

In my first AimPoint class with Dennis Sales, we worked on estimating distance a lot. He also suggested practicing it when we practiced our midpoint reads. I got pretty good at it and used to always track my first putt distance on my card and record it in Scorecard. First putt distance also gives you the proximity to the hole stat for GIR. I don't use Game Golf (yet, my B-day is coming;-)), but I would like to track it as it would apply to my shots zone data on approach shots.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

After using GameGolf for a few weeks now here are my thoughts...all very much in line with people's comments here.

• Would love better course statistics.  How you perform not only on a given course but par 3, 4, and 5 averages.  GIRs, etc.
  • I may be stupid but I can't find aggregate stats for GIR, Fairways hit, scrambling or putting for the entire year.  Am I missing something?
  • I love the club performance tool.  I know this may be difficult, but I wish there was a way to filter shots out that were not approaches to the green.  Layups on par 5's, punch-outs, etc.  I think @GolfLug was on to this.
  • Putting stats...please.  Putts per GIR, putting from certain distances.  Please!

Just a few thoughts.  Looking forward to any improvements they make!

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, NCGolfer said:

I may be stupid but I can't find aggregate stats for GIR, Fairways hit, scrambling or putting for the entire year.  Am I missing something?

Visit your profile page.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2620 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!