Jump to content
IGNORED

Do they allow you to walk courses in Palm Springs?


Note: This thread is 1453 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recommended Posts

Four of us will be making our first visit to Palm Springs at the end of February for a few rounds of golf. We would prefer to walk, rather than ride carts. Any problem walking the courses there or do most of them require you to ride? Can anyone recommend courses suitable for walking? We're not looking for anything fancy. Right now, we'd be happy with any course as long as the grass is green!

Link to post
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Tony F said:

Four of us will be making our first visit to Palm Springs at the end of February for a few rounds of golf. We would prefer to walk, rather than ride carts. Any problem walking the courses there or do most of them require you to ride? Can anyone recommend courses suitable for walking? We're not looking for anything fancy. Right now, we'd be happy with any course as long as the grass is green!

I am sure if you look up on some of the courses websites they will indicate if they have a walking rate. I seem to recall many years ago, walking Palm Springs Muni.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, Lefty-Golfer said:

walking rate is typically the same as a riding rate....if they allow it.

valid point. I rarely have played at a course that prohibits walking however, then again, I am not normally in the country club scene not that those would be any different.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I wouldn't count on it. Not this time of year, anyway. Ive found that florida golf courses (in general) do not allow walking for business reasons.  Its one of the reasons why i dont go down there to play, anymore. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

I wouldn't count on it. Not this time of year, anyway. Ive found that florida golf courses (in general) do not allow walking for business reasons.  Its one of the reasons why i dont go down there to play, anymore. 

guess I am spoiled in San Diego County. thirty or so courses, reasonable prices, most, if not all, permit walking. Some have cart path restrictions however.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator

I just came back from a week in Palm Springs, we played 7 rounds.  I remember seeing a few walkers, but my impression is that they were probably local members rather than visitors on a golf trip.  Every place we played definitely included the cart in the price, it wasn't an option or an add-on.  It never hurts to ask if you can walk, though.  I know of a few courses in the Pinehurst area that will allow you to walk, and some will even provide a loaner push cart for you to use, but they don't discount the green fee.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I just came back from a week in Palm Springs, we played 7 rounds.  I remember seeing a few walkers, but my impression is that they were probably local members rather than visitors on a golf trip.  Every place we played definitely included the cart in the price, it wasn't an option or an add-on.  It never hurts to ask if you can walk, though.  I know of a few courses in the Pinehurst area that will allow you to walk, and some will even provide a loaner push cart for you to use, but they don't discount the green fee.  

You are probably right.  I have not played in Palm Springs for several years. Come to think of it, even here in San Diego, I notice that cart is included in the fees at some of the better courses, the military courses, and some of the neighborhood courses, do have walking rates that are about $10 less. Case in point, courses nearby charge $27 - $36 for fee with cart. MCAS Miramar charges $22 walking and $35 riding so by and large, the non military courses are the better deal. I used to walk Torrey, but that was many years ago.

Edited by Hacker James
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Very few in the area allow you to walk. I know that SilverRock does, and Tahquitz Creek might. I've also heard that Indian Canyons allows walking. Beyond that, I can't think of any except for Indio Muni, which is a Par 3 course and not the greatest of shape.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, tristanhilton85 said:

Very few in the area allow you to walk. I know that SilverRock does, and Tahquitz Creek might. I've also heard that Indian Canyons allows walking. Beyond that, I can't think of any except for Indio Muni, which is a Par 3 course and not the greatest of shape.

It's funny because I was going almost going to ask you this same question about Classic Club last week.  I figured that it would be easier to keep myself and my clothes dry if I was walking in the rain instead of riding.  But we got lucky and stayed dry anyway. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
3 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

It's funny because I was going almost going to ask you this same question about Classic Club last week.  I figured that it would be easier to keep myself and my clothes dry if I was walking in the rain instead of riding.  But we got lucky and stayed dry anyway. :)

That would have been a nice walk too, very few long walks from green to the next tee.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Cimarron allows walking, but they don't have a walking rate (I asked).  I saw a couple walkers when I played there a month or so ago.  I've played there maybe 10 times and have only ever seen one twosome walking.  It's a great set up for walking though, tee boxes are close to previous green and it's pretty flat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

just as a question, assuming you are not playing alone, why not strap your bags on a cart and just walk the holes? it wouldn't be an issue...nobody is going to care if you walk? if you have a long walk from green to T jump in the cart...I mean honestly I enjoy a good walk (with a caddie) but there are a 100 ways around a rule if it matters to you. think outside of the box just a little bit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Note: This thread is 1453 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...