Jump to content
IGNORED

Help, I cut down my wedge and now anything beyond 60yds is a disaster


Note: This thread is 1639 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recommended Posts

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum and would like to ask a series of questions mainly pertaining to a 58 degree wedge that I cut down and regripped. Here's the problem:

I recently have gotten extremely accurate with my 54 and 58 degree wedges. Though I've never been fitted for wedges, I noticed that when I started to get really accurate with them I was always choking down. I mean a good 2in's down on full shots(3/4 swings). Being able to stop it where it lands, one hop stops, low shots, high shots, everything. On occasion all that extra shaft would get in the way or make some shots that seemed easy, complicated, so I did what anyone would do, I cut it. I measured how much I was gripping down, left an extra 1/4 inch that my palm wouldnt contact and cut it. Now the club is so different I can only control it on chips and short pitches, but anything beyond 60 yrs is a disaster. I was previously able to use that 58 from 85yrds to the green comfortable. Here are the changes I've made.

Original set up: 

Mizuno mp t4 58/10 stock everything to include standard grip, with stock dg spinner shaft, wedge flex.

Changes: 

Cut 2.25 in from shaft, regripped with golf pride tour velvet midsize grip.

I know that sounds short but that is an awesome length for me. I just need to know how to get the feel back. I was thinking lead tape, but how much?

Thanks in advance!

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Slow your roll Buckeye...no one is "misdirecting" anyone and there is no "jiggery pokery" going on, whatever that means. There were specific questions about swingweight, so my reply was on topic. It w

Pink Floyd....."Teacha....leave those clubs alone".

Have tried just hitting all your drives to within 60yds?

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Bomber09 said:

so I did what anyone would do, I cut it.

I'm not a tinkerer, so I get a kick out of that line.

I've read that changing the length of a shaft will impact the flex of the shaft:

So what you are experiencing makes sense to me. But you also gripped down on the club, so that would kind effectively change the length of the lever arm-- it wasn't obvious to me that would totally change the characteristics of the club, but it seems to have.

Good luck! Calling @Hacker James who seems to love to tinker with his clubs.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • RandallT changed the title to Help, I cut down my wedge and now anything beyond 60yds is a disaster

Yeah I even looked on this website that has a swingweight calculator and after i did all the measurements and weight, it says its sw is now B7/8. The original specs of the club was a D3 I believe. Im lost, been researching how to fix it for days now.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I couldn't stop from laughing when i read the title of this thread. Then i opened it up and it did not disappoint.Why would you do that, dude? Just choke down..lol.

You can try lead tape to get the club swinging at a weight you like, but too much will throw you off even more.. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Bomber09 said:

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum and would like to ask a series of questions mainly pertaining to a 58 degree wedge that I cut down and regripped. Here's the problem:

I recently have gotten extremely accurate with my 54 and 58 degree wedges. Though I've never been fitted for wedges, I noticed that when I started to get really accurate with them I was always choking down. I mean a good 2in's down on full shots(3/4 swings). Being able to stop it where it lands, one hop stops, low shots, high shots, everything. On occasion all that extra shaft would get in the way or make some shots that seemed easy, complicated, so I did what anyone would do, I cut it. I measured how much I was gripping down, left an extra 1/4 inch that my palm wouldnt contact and cut it. Now the club is so different I can only control it on chips and short pitches, but anything beyond 60 yrs is a disaster. I was previously able to use that 58 from 85yrds to the green comfortable. Here are the changes I've made.

Original set up: 

Mizuno mp t4 58/10 stock everything to include standard grip, with stock dg spinner shaft, wedge flex.

Changes: 

Cut 2.25 in from shaft, regripped with golf pride tour velvet midsize grip.

I know that sounds short but that is an awesome length for me. I just need to know how to get the feel back. I was thinking lead tape, but how much?

Thanks in advance!

Two things could have happened.

One is when you grip down on the club the grip diameter is lessened. When you cut the shaft and added the mid-size grip you increased the grip diameter by a lot.

The other is that the swing weight is a lot different. You already surmised that by thinking of adding lead tape.

Not sure what I would do in your case? 2.25 inches less seems like a lot.

What is your lie angle?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Standard lie which im usually 1 degree flat on my reg irons so shortening it may have helped the lie angle a little. 

Yeah and like i said to in the original post, choking down got in the way, i was holding the steel on most shots, it got annoying. I just gotta get the feel back. Who know I may buy a used one and get fitted with it. I guarntee it will come out to the same length as the one i cut.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Bomber09 said:

Standard lie which im usually 1 degree flat on my reg irons so shortening it may have helped the lie angle a little. 

Yeah and like i said to in the original post, choking down got in the way, i was holding the steel on most shots, it got annoying. I just gotta get the feel back. Who know I may buy a used one and get fitted with it. I guarntee it will come out to the same length as the one i cut.

A DTL picture of you at setup might help us?

Help, @WUTiger?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
22 minutes ago, Bomber09 said:

Changes: 

Cut 2.25 in from shaft, regripped with golf pride tour velvet midsize grip.

I know that sounds short but that is an awesome length for me. I just need to know how to get the feel back. I was thinking lead tape, but how much?

Thanks in advance!

Another thing that trimming the butt end does is to change the weight balance by removing weight from "above" your hands.  To get back to the same feel, you may want to experiment with a little weight right at the butt end of the club, to "mimic" the amount of steel you've trimmed off.  Here's one way to do that:

http://www.golfworks.com/universal-counter-balancing-system/p/GW0113/

5 minutes ago, Bomber09 said:

Yeah I even looked on this website that has a swingweight calculator and after i did all the measurements and weight, it says its sw is now B7/8. The original specs of the club was a D3 I believe. Im lost, been researching how to fix it for days now.

The original swingweight may have been D3, but that kind of assumes that you're gripping it near the end of the grip.  When you were gripping down by several inches, the "effective swingweight" was well below D3, was probably even below the B7/8 that you're estimating now.  Again, adding a little weight to the butt end might give you a feel similar to the way you were swinging it.  

Also as @Lihu mentions, previously you were gripping down onto the thinner section of a standard-size grip.  Going from that "smaller than standard" up to the largest part of a mid-size grip is a significant increase in diameter.  To reproduce the same size as you were used to before, you may need to use a undersized grip, rather than a larger mid-size.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)

Youre probably right about going back to standard grip size. The midsize feels so much better on everything in the bag. And i thought about adding weight to the butt. Everything i was readyin was pointing to the head, but i agree the butt makes more sense.

Also i do have pretty long arms, i use to play alot of other sport to include basketball. Im 5'7 with a wingspan of an average person of 6'1.

Edited by Bomber09
Link to post
Share on other sites

Shaft extensions are inexpensive.  Restore the club to its original length, minus 1/2, and see how it goes.  Club tweaks are best done in small increments.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

49 minutes ago, Bomber09 said:

Original set up: 

Mizuno mp t4 58/10 stock everything to include standard grip, with stock dg spinner shaft, wedge flex.

Changes: 

Cut 2.25 in from shaft.

Well what do you know.  Someone else who tries things.  As a DG Spinner shaft player, probably a 124g, you have changed the swing weight as you know.   But also, the kick point.  Does your ball flight rise or take off low like you thinned it now?  It might not be saveable.  That shaft typically likes to be loaded.  The lower the swing weight the lower they hit for me.  I tried it too.

Edited by Hatchman
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If i do anything with the shaft I would probably replace it with the same shaft on my irons. To be honest this spinner section of the shaft is mildly annoying. If i cant fix this with some simple solution like butt weighting or leadtape, Im probably gonna reshaft it. The kbs 130g x flex gos for $18 on ebay.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The ball flight is about the same, maybe a little higher? Not enough to consider a flight change. My biggest issue is controlling the head with the weight loss. Too pick it up it doesnt feel much different but to swing it seems like i maybe a lil lost unless its really slow soft tempo. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Bomber09 said:

If i do anything with the shaft I would probably replace it with the same shaft on my irons. To be honest this spinner section of the shaft is mildly annoying. If i cant fix this with some simple solution like butt weighting or leadtape, Im probably gonna reshaft it. The kbs 130g x flex gos for $18 on ebay.

Your playing irons with 130's and wanted to cut that down 2.5".  Yea, I'd get a good used pull from eBay then since you had some accuracy success prior.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 1639 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • The sickest thing of all though, is that in your country, refusal to take  it is seen by many as a requirement to prove allegiance to a cult. Additionally, you have people, as we do here, (and everywhere else) who are just plain and simple morons I was reading a post on Reddit the other where a nurse was encouraging a patient to get vaccinated. She said she wouldn't because the vaccine is made from the foetuses of aborted babies. When told that this was not true, she replied that it was true  - she had researched it. She followed this up by putting in a complaint to the hospital about the nurse, saying that she felt that she had been "judged".
    • What do you guys think about limit hip turn on back swing for greater hip turn down swing? I believe my swing is full hip and shoulder turn on back swing but only get a little bit open hip at impact. any drill to help me achieve this and get more hip turn on down swing? the best I can do at impact.
    • Day 154.  I practiced the "snapping sticks" quarantine drill a bit more today, both with the alignment stick and my 6-iron (I seem to feel it more in my right arm than my left, although once I've gone for 30 seconds, I can start to feel it in my core).  I also hit a dozen full swing shots with my 6-iron (indoors, off a mat, etc), the usual practice routine for them, focusing on takeaway and position at the end of the backswing.
    • I remember reviewing the changes in late 2018 when they were announced, but early 2019 was a stressful and difficult part of my outside-of-golf life, so I didn't get a lot of chance to reinforce it (I also ended up not following through on a golf-related commitment I had hoped to keep during that period, this is definitely my biggest regret from that part of my life).  And my approach to bunkers has long been to just not touch anything (it helps that I'm not in bunkers that much -- something like one shot every other round or so), so the difference hasn't been important to me.
    • I recently joined up here. I posted a short intro if you'd like to know just a little about me.  In my journey with golf, I'm at the stage where I am introducing golf to a 6th grader and 3rd grader. We are starting out with some range time and a couple of rounds on a par 3 course nearby. I'd really like to hear your stories about golfing with kids. My oldest is an over-achiever, she holds herself to very high standards and she's already shown the ability to be frustrated by the game. My youngest is more of a free spirit, and funny enough, you can see it in their swings. My oldest has a conservative "make sure to get contact" swing, and my youngest swings with wild abandon.  If you have advice on club brands or how to set up a bag for kids, especially with how they are growing like weeds, that would be cool too. 
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. DanTheStallion
      DanTheStallion
      (36 years old)
    2. iYelledFOREatTheHOLE
      iYelledFOREatTheHOLE
      (31 years old)
    3. jd1623
      jd1623
      (38 years old)
    4. Rextarpromodel63
      Rextarpromodel63
      (38 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...