IGNORED

FlightScope Mevo - Portable Launch Monitor for the Everyday Golfer

mvmac
Note: This thread is 1516 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Mine is the same then I repeated the update and it's updating. Takes a couple tries. It's at 14% right now.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

30 minutes ago, mcconnon12 said:

So overall thoughts on the Mevo, is it worth it?

There was a really good review here on ST, but interested in some other thoughts?

Yes, it's a great product. 

It seems to really help you track stuff down, and will come in handy for many other things I have planned for it.

• Thumbs Up 1

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Just to be clear these are NOT my numbers, they are my son trying out the LM. He likes it too. . . :-)

Okay, these are my son's driver numbers:

image.thumb.png.85f6e9762aa8b4c2554c6378532bd58e.png

My son with his 5W. Seems like he was carrying the 250 yard marker. Not sure why the carry is reported so much lower than watching range balls hit the 250 yard sign (which I used a rangefinder on) and past? Come to think of it my 9i wan hitting the 150 sign which ranged to 145 and my son's 9i went way past the sign. IDK if the carry is being reported wrong or something?

image.thumb.png.b6a55a07d30f365aa52692ea8d7a77c0.png

Here's his 3i which is a a Cleveland CG Tour Blade.

image.thumb.png.3c075cde3e6c940098e86f35c1e0d76e.png

9i same type of club.

image.thumb.png.721c0cba89fab52451f15a1c3386f3c5.png

Here he is hitting my 3W. . .

image.thumb.png.2f092dce78359b6f486beb08913beed4.png

He hit a 317 yard drive today on a straight par 5 leaving him with 200-ish to the green Driver/5 iron 554 yards.

Here's the post I made with the few leftover balls I got to hit with the LM. 

https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/71030-my-swing-lihu/?do=findComment&comment=1352144

After looking at his numbers and mine, I think I'm quitting golf and going back to drumming and shooting. :-P

Edited by Lihu

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Okay, these are my son's driver numbers:

1.37 is a pretty bad smash factor.

You sure it's measuring his swing speed correctly? Because, again, at 4' in my testing with the driver it over-stated clubhead speed, but at 7' it dropped and the smash factor, thus, went back up to what it was.

If his smash factor is correct, I could see him hitting it 300+ with a 1.48+ smash factor, but with a 155-ish to 160 MPH ball speed… no.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

17 minutes ago, iacas said:

1.37 is a pretty bad smash factor.

You sure it's measuring his swing speed correctly? Because, again, at 4' in my testing with the driver it over-stated clubhead speed, but at 7' it dropped and the smash factor, thus, went back up to what it was.

If his smash factor is correct, I could see him hitting it 300+ with a 1.48+ smash factor, but with a 155-ish to 160 MPH ball speed… no.

Yeah, he hit them all of the driver shots pretty crappy, which is why he rarely uses the driver. Except on the long par 5, he used the 5W for everything which still goes about 270 on average. I didn't laser the drive, but the GPS his friend used had his drive at over 520 yards, and he used the 200 yard marker and paced it off for the 317 number. He hits really far, and a few of his really thin line drives into the 250 sign and one of them actually hit the sign which I laser ranged at 247 yards. The Mevo didn't register them because they were too low.

Then again I have no idea if his SS is being measured correctly or not? I just know he hits really far.

I had it setup at 7', and the unit was setup for 7'. Seems like his 5W was carrying the 250 yard hill with range balls. I tried using some of the reflective dots to check it as well. About half the readings were with the dots on the balls. Plus, I did notice that my somewhat pathetic carry numbers for 9i were possibly wrong as well. I hit the 150 yard sign on the fly a couple times which I ranged to 145 yards and Mevo read it out as 132 carry.

If you think there's an issue reading club head speed, is there something I can check? I have the altitude set to 482 feet which is right on the dot for my city. The range might be a couple hundred feet lower than the average city altitude, though.

Edited by Lihu
not them balls. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

29 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Yeah, he hit them all of the driver shots pretty crappy, which is why he rarely uses the driver. Except on the long par 5, he used the 5W for everything which still goes about 270 on average. I didn't laser the drive, but the GPS his friend used had his drive at over 520 yards, and he used the 200 yard marker and paced it off for the 317 number. He hits really far, and a few of his really thin line drives into the 250 sign and one of them actually hit the sign which I laser ranged at 247 yards. The Mevo didn't register them because they were too low.

Then again I have no idea if his SS is being measured correctly or not? I just know he hits really far.

I had it setup at 7', and the unit was setup for 7'. Seems like his 5W was carrying the 250 yard hill with range balls. I tried using some of the reflective dots to check it as well. About half the readings were with the dots on the balls. Plus, I did notice that my somewhat pathetic carry numbers for 9i were possibly wrong as well. I hit the 150 yard sign on the fly a couple times which I ranged to 145 yards and Mevo read it out as 132 carry.

If you think there's an issue reading club head speed, is there something I can check? I have the altitude set to 482 feet which is right on the dot for my city. The range might be a couple hundred feet lower than the average city altitude, though.

Oops, 320 yards.

Also, I just talked to him and he said that every drive he hit was terrible. He hit too low on the face. He said "I just don't have the skill to hit my driver right now." and left it at that. . .

The driving range mat was kind of thick so he only teed up like 1 3/4 inches too when he's used to 2 1/2" or more.

Edited by Lihu

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I'm circling the end of February to be able to use the Mevo. I should be healed enough from knee and hernia surgery by then to take actual swings. I can't even do anything until the first week of Jan. :pound:

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

I'm circling the end of February to be able to use the Mevo. I should be healed enough from knee and hernia surgery by then to take actual swings. I can't even do anything until the first week of Jan. :pound:

You won’t regret the Mevo. Seems accurate enough, and I can see what’s wrong with my strikes. Determining how to fix is another issue, but really good for optimizing  stuff.

Get well and take it easy early January. :-)

• Thumbs Up 1

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Potable launch monitor. I wonder if it works when you top the ball? I think I will wait for more brands to hit the

market so the price will drop a little. With all these new stuff coming out, we will need a big truck just to go golfing.

Then we will be telling the next generation abouit the time when every thing fit in the trunk of your car.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, The Hook Meister said:

Potable launch monitor. I wonder if it works when you top the ball? I think I will wait for more brands to hit the market so the price will drop a little. With all these new stuff coming out, we will need a big truck just to go golfing.

Have you read anything about it? It's pretty tremendous. And they're selling them about as fast as they can; the price is already great.

It fits in your pocket, too.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

23 hours ago, The Hook Meister said:

I wonder if it works when you top the ball?

Why? The answer is likely no, but what's to gain from knowing what random distance one of your worst shots travels? You should be discarding it from any meaningful data anyway...

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

18 minutes ago, b101 said:

Why? The answer is likely no, but what's to gain from knowing what random distance one of your worst shots travels? You should be discarding it from any meaningful data anyway...

Exactly, not exactly crazy about knowing the numbers when top, shank or duff.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Well, mine has finally arrived. I knew what others had said, but still can't believe just how small it is! Going to take it out to the range shortly, but I can't work out how to update the firmware? @iacas, you mentioned about 'forcing' an update? The one time I actually read an instruction manual and I can't find it... 

Edit: ignore, re-read Erik's review, which appears to be the one place on the Internet you can find it :-)

Edited by b101

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Ok, so first range session done and my initial thoughts are that it's great, but I need to a) get over the novelty of it and practise properly, b) take something with me to balance it on for height issues/learn how to best place it and c) work out what 'practise properly' actually looks like...

Today's session was basically just goofing around with it before I tried to hit some numbers at the end with my wedges, which I know is the issue I have to really work on - Mevo proves it... I would say that I'm seeing issues with club speed and therefore smash factor. I definitely don't hit my driver at 113mph or above, so I'm hoping this was just because I had the unit too close - I thought I'd moved it back far enough, but I think I need to recalibrate for that in the settings.

driver.png

Bar Smash and Club speed, the numbers seem about right, but maybe a bit high given I'm using range balls... Clearly launch is still the thing to work on.

3h.png

These look right and 207 is a good number for gapping purposes

5i.png

Accidentally clicked 4i on the app - this is my 5i. Pretty happy with these.

7i.png

As expected - shows how much I can lose on a poor strike as well (horrible weak cut on #6)...

GW.png

Started out with this club just to warm up and I feel these numbers are either a bit off or I'm overstating my usual 100 yard shot (the first 2, 5-8 were all my 100 yard gamer). Last two were me going a bit harder at it. One to re-evaluate and check.

sw.png

I spent longer on this, simply trying to hit 50 yards. All of shots 1-10 were me trying to hit 50 and, as you can see, I just kept ending up short. I'm pleased that my launch is pretty consistent, so that means it really should just be swing length that I'm working on. 11-14 were then me trying to make 65 yards. So, evidence of this is that I tend to under-hit/underclub.

I can see this being really useful, but think I need to get used to using it and practising with a purpose. Will have a think about how over this afternoon.

Edit: Immediately, looking at the Flightscope launch optimiser, I can gain 13 yards of carry keeping all of the same characteristics but doubling launch angle to 16. That'll be one of the next targets, then.

Edited by b101
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, b101 said:

Ok, so first range session done and my initial thoughts are that it's great, but I need to a) get over the novelty of it and practise properly, b) take something with me to balance it on for height issues/learn how to best place it and c) work out what 'practise properly' actually looks like...

Today's session was basically just goofing around with it before I tried to hit some numbers at the end with my wedges, which I know is the issue I have to really work on - Mevo proves it... I would say that I'm seeing issues with club speed and therefore smash factor. I definitely don't hit my driver at 113mph or above, so I'm hoping this was just because I had the unit too close - I thought I'd moved it back far enough, but I think I need to recalibrate for that in the settings.

driver.png

Bar Smash and Club speed, the numbers seem about right, but maybe a bit high given I'm using range balls... Clearly launch is still the thing to work on.

3h.png

These look right and 207 is a good number for gapping purposes

5i.png

Accidentally clicked 4i on the app - this is my 5i. Pretty happy with these.

7i.png

As expected - shows how much I can lose on a poor strike as well (horrible weak cut on #6)...

GW.png

Started out with this club just to warm up and I feel these numbers are either a bit off or I'm overstating my usual 100 yard shot (the first 2, 5-8 were all my 100 yard gamer). Last two were me going a bit harder at it. One to re-evaluate and check.

sw.png

I spent longer on this, simply trying to hit 50 yards. All of shots 1-10 were me trying to hit 50 and, as you can see, I just kept ending up short. I'm pleased that my launch is pretty consistent, so that means it really should just be swing length that I'm working on. 11-14 were then me trying to make 65 yards. So, evidence of this is that I tend to under-hit/underclub.

I can see this being really useful, but think I need to get used to using it and practising with a purpose. Will have a think about how over this afternoon.

Edit: Immediately, looking at the Flightscope launch optimiser, I can gain 13 yards of carry keeping all of the same characteristics but doubling launch angle to 16. That'll be one of the next targets, then.

Nice work! 

About the range balls, if it was below 50F when you hit them then the smash will be very low. I noticed the same thing as well the other day. So, don't worry about ball speed and carry while using range balls. With a 113 driver club head speed you should be able to hit much farther than 245 carry. My son is only 2 mph faster with a similar smash but carried mid 260s with a launch of 9.5 degrees. Of course, he's also hitting level with the bottom of the driver, and I have no idea how that affects the readings. He can also swing close to 120 if he doesn't hesitate due to being afraid of mishitting. Same here, my readings the other day were pathetic because I was afraid of crowning.

In short, this is a great reason why we got the launch monitor! :-)

I have also been using the device from 7' back to insure good readings for club head speed and used the dots every time for spin. When set forward too much or without the dots it seems to measure things incorrectly. More erratic anyway.

Also, from 7' back you have to be careful with your alignment. Small misalignments seem to lose readings.

Please post any tips you come up with as well. :-)

Edited by Lihu

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

2 minutes ago, Lihu said:

About the range balls, if it was below 50F when you hit them then the smash will be very low. [...] With a 113 driver club head speed you should be able to hit much farther than 245 carry.

Well, there's snow on the ground currently, so definitely below 50F! I'd put my swing speed at 105mph tops, so I think there's a combination of the Mevo over-reading the clubhead speed (and therefore miscalculating smash, which I've never really had below 1.43 on driver with fittings). A smash of 1.47 for most decent hits would put me back at about 103mph, so I think the ball speed is fine. My aim is to get my carry nearer 260, but I'll be happy with 250 consistently.

3 minutes ago, Lihu said:

I have also been using the device from 7' back to insure good readings for club head speed and used the dots every time for spin. When set forward too much or without the dots it seems to measure things incorrectly. More erratic anyway.

Also, from 7' back you have to be careful with your alignment. Small misalignments seem to lose readings.

Good tips! I haven't used the dots consistently, but might do tomorrow. I'll be having a think about planning tomorrow's range session before I go so that I stick to it rather than just hitting for the sake of having fun!

• Administrator

You don’t need the dots in my experience outside.

Note: This thread is 1516 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!