IGNORED

Any Other Fishermen Here?

HitAndGiggle
Note: This thread is 2157 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Saw the comment on the current PGA tourney with the photo of fishing on the west coast and thought I'd ask. My other passion (other than my family) is fishing. I do an annual long range tuna trip out of San Diego each year, often for up to 7 days out at sea. That allows me to load the freezer and feed the family for a year of the best stuff you ever tasted. I also do a fair amount of trout fishing here in NorCal. In one of my golf leagues there's an avid bass fisherman who keeps a little collapsed fishing pole in his golf bag. He'll often land a fat bass out of an adjacent golf course pond when we're waiting on a tee. I've known several golfers who were avid fishermen in my life...

Custom fit RBZ irons. Taylormade RBZ driver. Some crappy old high-bounce Macgregor wedge and an even older Mizuno 5 wood. Haven't settled on a ball yet - still looking. Decades of football, weightlifting and boxing came together to create the world's worst golfer. I'm slowly correcting that now. 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrator

I used to kayak fish when I lived in Florida. Can't get back into fishing here in PA after tangling with sharks.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

45 minutes ago, iacas said:

I used to kayak fish when I lived in Florida. Can't get back into fishing here in PA after tangling with sharks.

Kayak + Sharks = :no:

- John

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

Kayak + Sharks = :no:

It was fine. I only fought sharks to the kayak when they were shorter than the kayak.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Where in N. Cal?  I've flyfished in Big Bear/Mammoth. Used to flyfish a lot for trout with my parents. Not much in Florida but my sister moved to NC so probably bring my rod and do some one of these days when we go visit. 

9 minutes ago, iacas said:

It was fine. I only fought sharks to the kayak when they were shorter than the kayak.

Haha, I'll take your word for it.  I have no particular fear of sharks (I'd love to do one of those tours where you swim with them), but I'd probably draw the line well short of fighting them into a boat equal to their size, when I have limited mobility.

- John

• Administrator
Just now, Hardspoon said:

Haha, I'll take your word for it.  I have no particular fear of sharks (I'd love to do one of those tours where you swim with them), but I'd probably draw the line well short of fighting them into a boat equal to their size, when I have limited mobility.

I didn't put them ON the kayak. Just alongside so I could cut the metal leader.

I used hooks and leaders that would rust out in about 24-36 hours. Some of them rusted out while I was fighting the shark. :-P

I spend quite a bit of time fishing Lake Mead. Pretty much all is catch and release for me. Compared to golf, it appears it's easier for me to catch deep water, winter time Large Mouth Bass than to get a birdie. :-P

Kayak fishing with sharks......:-( Sounds like a good theme for another shark movie. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I love fishing. I spent over 350 hours on the water last year. I will fish for any species, but muskie is my preferred. Once the muskie season opens (end of May where I live), I rarely fish for anything else.

Here is a pic of my nicest fish from last year.

_20161130_204320.JPG

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Or snook as well.  Man those things fight like crazy.  

I really enjoy catching Smallies here, and I would like to catch a Muskie, but have not had much luck so far.  I really just started learning that though.  Many thanks to @14ledo81 for all the shared knowledge about it.  I'll get one on the line eventually.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Never really fished on a kayak, but have seen Great Whites off La Jolla and Pacific Beach that were about 12 footers (Juveniles). I quit kayaking after I flipped a Cobra Navigator in about 300 feet of water off Camp Pendleton. This was in the month of February. I got lucky in that I was rescued by a couple of guys in a power boat, otherwise hypothermia may have become a problem. I was weighted down with too many layers of clothing that were just too heavy for me to try and climb back on.  Many kayak  fisherman pull in some pretty good sized Yellow Tail off the La Jolla Submarine Canyons.  One guy I know, fought a Marlin from a kayak for several hours off the Baja Coast near the Coronado Islands. 

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

I spend quite a bit of time fishing Lake Mead. Pretty much all is catch and release for me. Compared to golf, it appears it's easier for me to catch deep water, winter time Large Mouth Bass than to get a birdie. :-P

Kayak fishing with sharks......:-( Sounds like a good theme for another shark movie. 

I have a diy catamaran I made from two kayaks. Never felt comfotable in a kayak, stability wise. Use it with an electric motor. If the water is rough, I borrow the son inlaw's pontoon boat. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I have been tying flies and fly fishing for trout for over 40 years.  It can be as addictive as golf but water conditions do make it more difficult to find a good day to fly fish than play golf.  With the late Spring thru Fall droughts in the Northeast the last couple of years I have fished so little that I do not need to tie flies this winter which is one way I stay sane during the cold months.  I do admit that for myself, golf is the much more difficult of the two activities.

Love fishing!  I get out as much as I can . .which varies.  Before moving to TX, I lived in CA . .pretty much all over . .from San Diego up to Arcata over a 10 year span . .and I kayak fished the whole way . .plus travelled around the state.  Some of my favorite CA spots are Monterey Bay/Carmel, Big Sur, Stone Lagoon, Trinity Lake, Lake Almanor, Kern River . .it goes on.  

Since moving to TX, obviously I'm fishing mostly for bass . .but that's cool.  I make an annual trip every year to somewhere good - last 2 years has been up to Minnesota to the Boundary Waters . . this year, too!  

9 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

Love fishing!  I get out as much as I can . .which varies.  Before moving to TX, I lived in CA . .pretty much all over . .from San Diego up to Arcata over a 10 year span . .and I kayak fished the whole way . .plus travelled around the state.  Some of my favorite CA spots are Monterey Bay/Carmel, Big Sur, Stone Lagoon, Trinity Lake, Lake Almanor, Kern River . .it goes on.  

Since moving to TX, obviously I'm fishing mostly for bass . .but that's cool.  I make an annual trip every year to somewhere good - last 2 years has been up to Minnesota to the Boundary Waters . . this year, too!  

Yeah, I've caught some epic trout in Almanor. Love that place. Been up there in the snow, even, fishing. Eagle Lake is another in the region worth a visit. My brother just moved near Pyramid in Nevada so I'm getting ready for that. Massive cutthroats in that lake.

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 2:26 PM, 14ledo81 said:

I love fishing. I spent over 350 hours on the water last year. I will fish for any species, but muskie is my preferred. Once the muskie season opens (end of May where I live), I rarely fish for anything else.

Here is a pic of my nicest fish from last year.

_20161130_204320.JPG

That's a nice muskie. Do you eat those? They look like fun. My mom's side of the family is from Wisconsin and my grandpa shared a couple stories of huge muskies with me over the years.

Custom fit RBZ irons. Taylormade RBZ driver. Some crappy old high-bounce Macgregor wedge and an even older Mizuno 5 wood. Haven't settled on a ball yet - still looking. Decades of football, weightlifting and boxing came together to create the world's worst golfer. I'm slowly correcting that now. 

1 hour ago, HitAndGiggle said:

That's a nice muskie. Do you eat those? They look like fun. My mom's side of the family is from Wisconsin and my grandpa shared a couple stories of huge muskies with me over the years.

I do not eat them.  It is somewhat taboo among serious muskie anglers.  They are a low density fish, and it takes approximately 12-18 years (depending on the lake) for a fish to get as large as the one I am holding here.  A very limited resource, so the vast majority of muskie anglers choose to catch-and-release.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

16 minutes ago, 14ledo81 said:

I do not eat them.  It is somewhat taboo among serious muskie anglers.  They are a low density fish, and it takes approximately 12-18 years (depending on the lake) for a fish to get as large as the one I am holding here.  A very limited resource, so the vast majority of muskie anglers choose to catch-and-release.

I would imagine there are plenty of other fish that taste much better as well.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 3:24 PM, iacas said:

Kayak = Speed bump.

I used to fish, but when I took up golf I found they both took the same time slot, weekend mornings. A bunch of my fishing gear got stolen and I never bothered to replace it.

Note: This thread is 2157 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!