IGNORED

Why do you walk when playing golf?

bkuehn1952
Note: This thread is 2595 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Walking the Course  

102 members have voted

1. 1. When or if you walk while playing golf, why? (multiple choices allowed)

• Exercise
    • Save money
    • Play better when walking
    • My course doesn't allow carts (except in instance of medical necessity)
    • I only walk when conditions do not permit riding and/or it is cart path only (e.g. too wet)
    • When all the other members of the group walk, I walk, otherwise I ride
    • I just enjoy walking and it allows me to see and look at things other than where I am driving
    • Tradition
    • Something else - please describe

Chose the first 3 options like many others, but also something else:

At the risk of coming off "golf snobbish"...I hate those situations where you and your cart-mate are on polar opposite sides of the fairway/rough/woods/wrong hole, etc and you get stuck "looking" for their ball knowing you still have to get back to yours.  Always try to make sure I'm the driver when I have to ride, and to use the drop-off method...just doesn't always work out as well as planned.  I loathe holding up other groups, sometimes to a fault.

Love walking b/c it gives me the freedom to laugh at my buddy and say "good luck" when he's gotta head over to the wrong fairway...also knowing I'll get the same ribbing in return when my time comes haha.

Edited by Let it Fly
  • Upvote 1

- Bill

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

43 minutes ago, Let it Fly said:

...I hate those situations where you and your cart-mate are on polar opposite sides of the fairway/rough/woods/wrong hole, etc and you get stuck "looking" for their ball knowing you still have to get back to yours... 

Agree.  Often, once the driver's ball is found, I lose perspective as to where my ball landed. Was it parallel to the first mound or one of those mounds over there?  It was in line with a tall tree but now that I am 200+ yards closer and on the opposite of the fairway, which tree did I line it up with?

Brian Kuehn

I picked a number of the selections.  Really, I just enjoy golf better when I'm walking.  I play a pretty hilly course, with some long walks green to tee, so in good hot weather I'll ride, and I'll ride in most tournaments, but otherwise I walk whenever its reasonable.  Another reason not mentioned is that walkers can spend time with each of the other 3 guys in a group, while a rider is kind of "stuck" spending a lot of his time with his cart-mate.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I started out playing golf by walking.  Simply because it was cheaper and we couldn't really afford a cart every time we played.  Honestly, I don't think I rode a golf cart for the first 2-3 years I played.

Now, I walk because, mostly:

• I enjoy it
  • It slows me down mentally (can get over a bad shot easier)
  • (bonus) Good exercise

I can't honestly say I play better when I walk but I feel that I do.  Might not be a bad indicator in Game Golf to say if you walked or rode to see in which one you play better @iacas.  ;-)

My father is now over 75 and will still carry his clubs on a regular basis.  I can only hope that I can continue to do so at his age.

• Upvote 1

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

3 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

I originally walked because it was cheaper.  As I have aged, it is a nice way to get a bit of non-aerobic exercise (while saving money!!).  I have also noticed that walking allows me a bit more sightseeing time and less time watching where we are going in a cart.  Also, I think I play a bit better when walking, but that is totally anecdotal.

Many of my golf buddies have gotten used to carting and they want to ride.  So I ride to be social but it bugs me a bit and as payback, I make them drive.

I walk on 9 hole courses and par 3 and if the 18 hole course is not slow. Driving a cart is nice because if the round is really long you can sit in the shade and enjoy watching things from a seated position.

On my home course, you can hit empty holes in a cart past very slow groups. Then go back again to finish unplayed holes. The last time I played my home course on a weekend in proper hole order it took 7 hours to finish a round.

The course near my house takes about 5 hours and there is no getting around other people so I walk.

So, the cart provides mobility in extreme slow play conditions, and walking is my preference for a nice leisurely 3 to 4 hour round.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Exercise, play better, I enjoy walking, tradition.

Related to playing better and enjoying seeing things differently than when riding... When I walk I feel like I'm more "on/in" the course and I experience much more detailed.  I also like being able to go straight to my ball and not have to fuss with my partner's ball/situation.

I don't like riding but the one positive of riding is I don't get tired in the least (I can get worn out walking, but I like the exercise).

In addition to the top reasons, because of desk bound sedentary work. If my job involved running around on my feet all day, would probably think differently. Already spend a majority of my life sitting on my butt, not going to do it out on a sunny day among the trees and grass.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I do it primarily because it's cheaper. Exercise is also nice, but if I could, say, walk the front and ride the back, I might. I also love having all of my clubs with me everywhere, and I like being able to bring them into places a cart can't go, like around greens, but also into woods and weird areas.

But yeah, if you're walking, golf is a sport. If you're riding, it's a pastime.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

18 hours ago, NCGolfer said:

I can't honestly say I play better when I walk but I feel that I do.  Might not be a bad indicator in Game Golf to say if you walked or rode to see in which one you play better

I chose not to click on the "play better" button too, for the same reason.  I have an image of playing better, but it may just be that I enjoy it more, I don't have the data to say for sure.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

definitely much more enjoyable if i have the time. the course near my house is never very crowded so i can usually get through walking in about 4 hours or maybe a little less, depends on how I'm hitting the ball that day too haha

17 hours ago, nevets88 said:

In addition to the top reasons, because of desk bound sedentary work. If my job involved running around on my feet all day, would probably think differently. Already spend a majority of my life sitting on my butt, not going to do it out on a sunny day among the trees and grass.

i second this. working at the desk all day, with a few minor trips around the building, makes me want to be active everywhere else. to carry my clubs for a couple hours, while saving money, is an awesome way to do that. a few hills on the course give me that extra workout as well.  

"Swing with a Purpose" 

What's In The Bag:
Woods: Driver: RBZ stage 2 10* 3 wood: RBZ 15* 5 wood: NIke vapor speed 19*
Irons/ wedges: Rbladez tour 4-PW; Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 56*, CG11 60*
Putter: Odyssey White ice #9

I walk my golf rounds because I still can, and want to be able to continue to walk. This before old age takes the desire to walk away from me. 

Walking is exercise that helps keep me in shape for other things. Just last night I was at a basketball game. The family always sits at the top of the bleachers to utilize the wall as a back rest.

I don't play any better or worse when walking. 

Walking allows me to play my own game, and not be involved in another golfer's game if we were to share a cart. Vice versa too.

Walking between shots allows me to enjoy other things going on around me. It keeps me relaxed.I am not one who can stay foucussed on anything for 3-5 hours. Walking gets me to my preshot routine, which is where my focus starts, and may only last a minute or so. I suppose walking between shots could be considered my post shot routine. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I like to walk because I think I play better walking - keeping in rhythm, see the break of the greens better when walking up.
Also it is a throwback to my youth as a caddie, it just seems right to walk and another benefit is if you are paying attention then it is easier to find that "occasional" shot that is not in the fairway.

I do ride more than I did in the past because a) I'm older and at 58 it allows me to play 36 b) in a business round it is more acceptable and there is more discourse while riding c) some courses are not built to encourage walking (long distances from green to the next tee)

Players play, tough players win!

I walk the executive course near my house since I have been playing it for 25 years and they only added carts about 3 years ago.  It is only 2200 yards for 9 holes and I enjoy the exercise and quiet time since I usually play solo.   I prefer to ride a cart on full length courses, particularly since I live in hill country and my home course has some long distances between some of the greens and the next tee.  I also started playing at age 40 when my back had already gone south and know about when I will start limping.    I see lots of young golfers walking and carrying and it is great exercise and fun for them, but not for this 65 year old. 

If there were no riding carts?  I would walk 9 holes with a pull cart, rest an hour, take an Advil, and then walk the next 9 if the course allows it. 

2 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I chose not to click on the "play better" button too, for the same reason.  I have an image of playing better, but it may just be that I enjoy it more, I don't have the data to say for sure.

Yup.  That's it.  There is an image or feeling that I play better.  Absolutely no data to back it up other than I thought back to some of the best rounds I've had in the past handful of years.

I was riding in a cart.  :hmm:

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

1. Exercise, 2. Save Money, 7. I just enjoy it more.

It's an excellent exercise opportunity. I walked all the time last year (probably 90% of my rounds) and when my wife complains about me being able to eat like crap and still stay fit I remind her about how much I walk and play Golf.

It also saves me a lot of money. I'm 29, so I save anything I can while still being able to have a good time. Carting averages $14-18 per round in my area. I bought a $200 push cart and it paid for itself in a couple months. Love the thing, too. I don't have the same level of comfort when my bag is on a cart. I have so many more pockets and control on my own push cart.

I also enjoy looking around while I walk shot to shot. Something about it lowers any anxieties from the day. 

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

Walking is my way of relaxing, as odd as that may sound.  Because I have 2 young kids at home I typically play a fair bit of solo rounds and usually early AM on the weekend, so that's my time to get out and walk and just enjoy the peace and quiet for a little bit.

Driver: Cobra FlyZ | 9.5 Degrees Draw | Fujikura Pro 63 Tour Spec
Fairway Wood: Cobra F7 3-4 Wood | 14.5 degrees | Fujikura Pro 65
Hybrid: Cobra F7 3-4H | 19 degrees | Fujikura Pro 75H
Irons: Srixon Z545 (4-Iron) | Srixon Z 765 (5-PW)
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 | 50 F Grind | 54 M Grind | 58 K Grind
Putter: Odyssey O-Works 1W WBW

Note: This thread is 2595 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!