Sign in to follow this  
bkuehn1952

Why do you walk when playing golf?

Note: This thread is 1104 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Walking the Course  

102 members have voted

1. 1. When or if you walk while playing golf, why? (multiple choices allowed)

• Exercise
    • Save money
    • Play better when walking
    • My course doesn't allow carts (except in instance of medical necessity)
    • I only walk when conditions do not permit riding and/or it is cart path only (e.g. too wet)
    • When all the other members of the group walk, I walk, otherwise I ride
    • I just enjoy walking and it allows me to see and look at things other than where I am driving
    • Tradition
    • Something else - please describe

63 posts / 5261 viewsLast Reply

Mostly to save money, and because I feel I play better when walking. I take much more time on each shot, thinking about the shot while I walk to my ball gives much more time to prepare than thinking about it as you pull up to the all in a cart. Also, if you hit one way off line, it is much more penalizing when you have to walk way off line and try to find your ball.

Another reason that is not listed is because I often golf by myself, and if I have a cart by myself I'm always pulling up on groups in front of me and having to wait. Walking helps to mitigate that. 

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

This is a one of the "peeves" I have about how the game of golf has changed over the years. I love to walk and play for almost all of the reasons that have been mentioned. Unfortunately (in Tampa Fl as well as most other places) you are required to take a cart when playing. I grew up caddying. That's how I learned the game. I think the disappearance of caddies and caddy programs has hurt the game. There are only a few courses in my area that I can walk anytime so those are the ones I play the most (while they are not some of the better courses around). I know that walking does NOT slow down play. I get that courses need carts to generate revenue. I guess that I am thankful that there are still some that allow walking. Those are the ones who are going to get my $.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I walk like 90% of the time, unless the course is unwalkable or my group is all riding.  Mainly for the exercise, but also to save money and I enjoy it more.

I used to always carry my bag, but I got a Clicgear two years ago.  If I just play 9, I'll just carry, since the Clicgear is a bit awkward to set up.  But if I'm playing a full 18, I'll usually bring it out.

Some times I'll play executive courses or short 9 hole courses with my family.  And the thing that always gets me is seeing able bodied people ride carts.  Ya can't walk a short, 9 hole course?  Jeez.

Initially I walked to save money but now I also do it for the exercise and because it makes me play better.

I work out every morning.  So it just makes sense to walk when I play golf too.  I also tend to play better when I walk as I get to enjoy the nature and forget about pressures of work and life in general.

Saving money is just a bonus.

Exercise and save money. I don't understand those who believe walking a course isn't good exercise.

On average, my scores may be a bit better when I ride, not that much better.

Note: This thread is 1104 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this