IGNORED

The End of the Blimp on Tour

iacas
Note: This thread is 2623 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

7 hours ago, dkolo said:

Just the opening zeppelins needed to grab market share in pro sports!

I fear Robert Plant is behind all this!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

I fear Robert Plant is behind all this!

A zeppelin does look like a Big Log, so it all makes sense. 

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Too bad, I loved those shots.   Drones are still a weird thing to me, so I'm not sure how I'd feel about there being more drone shots.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I did like the blimp shots, really. Kinda bummed.

But I think I'm fine with this. I just hope they do try and push drones (or the skycams) more. Yes some cheaper drones have a noise, but some drones are nearly silent. Not just the "4k premium" drones that run $2k-3k... if a sponsor really wanted to "cover" and event they could drop $15k into a drone and it would be NUTS.

Skycams are more interfering with golf though, I would think. That could be problematic?

Of course, as @iacas has said, there are some governing rules still on drones. Some can be worked out though, I think.

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

I've volunteered at two USGA Amateur events at Old Warson CC in St. Louis: the 2009 Women's Amateur and the 2016 Senior Men's Amateur.

The TV set-up for 2016 had no blimps, but did bring in a couple of long-arm cranes that put a camera at least 150 feet into the air. These were used to capture some panorama shots, although I don't know to what degree the camera could be rotated and zoomed. (I can't remember the set-up for 2009).

Anyone who works in TV know the details and capabilities on such cameras?

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I think the blimps were nice because they provided an overhead view of the course. That meant you could see the shapes of each hole and get a better sense of scale and distances than you got with the ground level cameras that followed groups around. It's too bad that won't be happening anymore.

That's a big loss for golf on TV, and therefore as a tool to grow the game, IMHO.

Just look at this week's coverage, at Pebble Beach. Maybe it won't be the greatest with the bad weather we have been having lately, but remember the images from last year? Really picture perfect!  In addition, the blimp's ability to follow a shot from the air was really impressive and added to the story too. Hopefully drones can replicate that functionality but it will take a while for the networks to do that, get the permits and train the operators, etc...

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

17 hours ago, bmartin461 said:

Hello-is-it-me-youre-looking-for.jpg.d58ede997ab9db7e42115226ae9ee58f.jpg

Lionel! 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

The blimp would always land an airport near my house growing up, that's how I knew a big event was in town like the Grand Prix or Hyrdro boat races or even the senior tour golf. I am sad to see this go, but as far as golf coverage is concerned it's a novelty more than anything. What people want to see time and time again is golf shots, as many as possible, for as long as possible, with as little interruptions as possible. 

- Mark

The blimp can usually be heard in the background when it's there during a broadcast.  It's relaxing to hear, like waves on the shore.

'Twill be missed.

Ping G2 Driver; Titleist 906F2 5W; TM Rescue Mid 3H; Adams Idea Pro 4H; Titleist DTR 3-SW; Callaway Bobby Jones Putter; Ping Hoofer lite

Note: This thread is 2623 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!