Jump to content
IGNORED

3 Wood change Henrik Stenson


Note: This thread is 1527 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recommended Posts

After Henrik using a Callaway Diablo for past 6 years ,he has put a GBB Epic 3 wood in the bag, I guessing that they finally made a fairway wood  can out perform the Diablo, so this is something to take notice of, I myself have had a Diablo fairway wood no.4 in my bag for about same time, have thought about upgrading but have never found a club that can out perform the Diablo, even with it being the edge model, not tour model. Will be interesting to see if the GBB stays in his bag, if Henrik stays with it may be right fairwood to invest in. Not a better person to do trial on a club, as he world no 4. I shall watch with interest.

Remarks on his change of 3 wood very welcome, and 3 wood recommendations.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 2/3/2017 at 8:00 AM, 65ross said:

...I myself have had a Diablo fairway wood no.4 in my bag for about same time, have thought about upgrading but have never found a club that can out perform the Diablo, ...

Keep testing. If you find a 3W or a 4W that outperforms your Diablo, consider a swapout. Some golfers get more out of a 4W than a 3W.

Question: Is the Diablo 4W still in the bag? It's not in your sig line.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, WUTiger said:

Keep testing. If you find a 3W or a 4W that outperforms your Diablo, consider a swapout. Some golfers get more out of a 4W than a 3W.

Question: Is the Diablo 4W still in the bag? It's not in your sig line.

I pulled the Titleist and Ping fairway woods out some time back as said they not perform as good as the Diablo, plus added another Ping G30 hybrid. Need to upgrade my profile been slack.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 65ross said:

I pulled the Titleist and Ping fairway woods out some time back as said they not perform as good as the Diablo, plus added another Ping G30 hybrid. Need to upgrade my profile been slack.

My bag set up now, Cleveland Driver,Diablo Fairway,2x G30 Hybrids, 5 to wedge Ping G25, 2x Cleveland Rotex 2 Wedges, Rife Barbados vault 2 putter.DSCF7291.thumb.JPG.052b6d7f812080caa6394ad1cf26a26d.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 2/3/2017 at 8:00 AM, 65ross said:

After Henrik using a Callaway Diablo for past 6 years ,he has put a GBB Epic 3 wood in the bag, I guessing that they finally made a fairway wood  can out perform the Diablo, so this is something to take notice of, I myself have had a Diablo fairway wood no.4 in my bag for about same time, have thought about upgrading but have never found a club that can out perform the Diablo, even with it being the edge model, not tour model. Will be interesting to see if the GBB stays in his bag, if Henrik stays with it may be right fairwood to invest in. Not a better person to do trial on a club, as he world no 4. I shall watch with interest.

Remarks on his change of 3 wood very welcome, and 3 wood recommendations.

I feel the 3 wood (or 4 wood, which could be considered a "weak 3 wood) is the hardest club in the bag to find.  When a player gets a good one, it will stay in the bag for a long time.  I have played the same 3 wood since 1999.  I have gone through several sets of irons during that time, and can't tell you how many drivers or putters have come and gone, but I have never considered another 3 wood.  If you are comfortable with your Diablo 4 wood, keep playing it.  If you hit it good 90% of the time, think about the chances of hitting something else better, more often.  

Obviously the equipment manufacturers want Tour players to put the newest models in play, and I'm not saying improvements aren't being made, but I hate to see someone who is hitting a club well take it out of play!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Up until a few months ago I was gaming a Bridgestone J15F 3+ fairway wood.  It was strong like the Diablo (13.5 degrees) and worked so well off the tee it was untrue.  I didn't hit it a ton off the deck, as it naturally had a lower launch.  I demoed the Cobra F6 Baffler last year and immediately fell in love with it.  It's set on the lowest loft (16 degrees) but it gets out there nearly as far as my J15.  Plus, with the baffler rails this thing is just stupid easy to hit off the tee or off the deck.  I kept the Bridgestone for sentimental reasons but the Cobra will be in my bag for a long, long time.

As a previous comment mentioned, when you find a fairway wood you love then you should stick with it.  IMO it's not the easiest spot to fill in the bag, depending on what you want from the club and your comfort level hitting a FW.

While I think it speaks well potentially for the GBB Epic fairway wood, given that Stenson made the switch, it's not his first time tinkering with a different FW.  I suspect if he has one bad round he very easily could dump it and go back to the Diablo.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Well Stenson is back with the Diablo in his bag for the Valspar, guess the GBB Epic  did not fill the card, my Diablo still in my bag and think it be permeant furniture.DSCF7286.thumb.JPG.c541810c1945076871fc63a79de1cff4.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, 65ross said:

Well Stenson is back with the Diablo in his bag for the Valspar, guess the GBB Epic  did not fill the card, my Diablo still in my bag and think it be permeant furniture.DSCF7286.thumb.JPG.c541810c1945076871fc63a79de1cff4.JPG

It doesn't surprise me.  He uses it so often, especially instead of teeing off with driver, that I'm sure he wants a new 3W to be just right before replacing the old one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

22 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

I dont know how a guy who pounds the ball like Stenson does can keep the same fairway wood for that long without cracking it. 

I have wondered this too. Maybe he had Callaway build a few to his specs as backups? As often as he plays and uses that club Im surprised it hasn't been worn out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 2/3/2017 at 6:00 AM, 65ross said:

After Henrik using a Callaway Diablo for past 6 years ,he has put a GBB Epic 3 wood in the bag, I guessing that they finally made a fairway wood  can out perform the Diablo, so this is something to take notice of, I myself have had a Diablo fairway wood no.4 in my bag for about same time, have thought about upgrading but have never found a club that can out perform the Diablo, even with it being the edge model, not tour model. Will be interesting to see if the GBB stays in his bag, if Henrik stays with it may be right fairwood to invest in. Not a better person to do trial on a club, as he world no 4. I shall watch with interest.

Remarks on his change of 3 wood very welcome, and 3 wood recommendations.

I have the 3W and 5W and really like and depend heavily upon both of them off the tee and really long holes. They switch out depending upon the course I play.

Admittedly, I never thought they were irreplaceable, and I use my 3W/5W off the tee on many holes? I certainly hope for someone like me that a GBB could also fit the bill?

After caving in the back of my TM RBZ2 3 wood a year or more ago (taking a backswing from behind a fence post), I started using my Diablos again. There was a sale on the Ping i25s for like $80 and I almost picked up 3 of them, then decided I didn't want to take them on the plane with me. So, here I am using my 2 Diablos. Is there something special about them? Are they more forgiving or something like that?

 

6 hours ago, 65ross said:

Well Stenson is back with the Diablo in his bag for the Valspar, guess the GBB Epic  did not fill the card, my Diablo still in my bag and think it be permanent furniture.DSCF7286.thumb.JPG.c541810c1945076871fc63a79de1cff4.JPG

Looks familiar. . .

 

44 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

I dont know how a guy who pounds the ball like Stenson does can keep the same fairway wood for that long without cracking it. 

 

21 minutes ago, kpaulhus said:

I have wondered this too. Maybe he had Callaway build a few to his specs as backups? As often as he plays and uses that club Im surprised it hasn't been worn out. 

Even though I only paid like $120 for each of mine, but they're pretty indestructible as far as I can tell. It's not like I haven't "tried to break them" so I can buy something newer and shinier without having a wife lecture about saving for kid's college. My TM FW woods and Pings have all broken with the same type of treatment I give these guys. :whistle:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, kpaulhus said:

I have wondered this too. Maybe he had Callaway build a few to his specs as backups? As often as he plays and uses that club Im surprised it hasn't been worn out. 

That'd be my guess. I eventually cracked the face on the Titleist 906 3wood i used for years and i dont crunch the ball anywhere in the same neighborhood that Stenson does. 

45 minutes ago, Lihu said:

I have the 3W and 5W and really like and depend heavily upon both of them off the tee and really long holes. They switch out depending upon the course I play.

Admittedly, I never thought they were irreplaceable, and I use my 3W/5W off the tee on many holes? I certainly hope for someone like me that a GBB could also fit the bill?

After caving in the back of my TM RBZ2 3 wood a year or more ago (taking a backswing from behind a fence post), I started using my Diablos again. There was a sale on the Ping i25s for like $80 and I almost picked up 3 of them, then decided I didn't want to take them on the plane with me. So, here I am using my 2 Diablos. Is there something special about them? Are they more forgiving or something like that?

 

Looks familiar. . .

 

 

Even though I only paid like $120 for each of mine, but they're pretty indestructible as far as I can tell. It's not like I haven't "tried to break them" so I can buy something newer and shinier without having a wife lecture about saving for kid's college. My TM FW woods and Pings have all broken with the same type of treatment I give these guys. :whistle:

 

I suppose. But a touring pro using the same fairway wood for as long as Stenson has without cracking the face on it is pretty remarkable. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

That'd be my guess. I eventually cracked the face on the Titleist 906 3wood i used for years and i dont crunch the ball anywhere in the same neighborhood that Stenson does. 

I suppose. But a touring pro using the same fairway wood for as long as Stenson has without cracking the face on it is pretty remarkable. 

Perhaps he just hits the sweet spot perfectly every time? Supposedly, it was designed to take a substantial amount of stress before work hardening the face which causes fatigue and ultimately failure? He must be using it in a way that stays within the elastic deformation of the metal?

Alternatively, he might just have 50 spares in his garage or something? :-D

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 minutes ago, mvmac said:

Stenson had the Diablo Octane back in the bag this week.

Octane appears to be $10 cheaper in the same used condition as the Edge?

I had no idea how "touchy" a 3W is. Probably because I hit mine like crap so all woods look the same to me. :-D

 

I like how the description says 15 degrees and the image is the 13 degree tour model. . .

58c1b54283465_NewBitmapImage.thumb.png.faf2cd0fa8f7d2ca50276fe6e6700742.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 hours ago, Lihu said:

Perhaps he just hits the sweet spot perfectly every time? Supposedly, it was designed to take a substantial amount of stress before work hardening the face which causes fatigue and ultimately failure? He must be using it in a way that stays within the elastic deformation of the metal?

Alternatively, he might just have 50 spares in his garage or something? :-D

 

I would like a spare Diablo in the back room, not that mine looks like failing, mine is classed as 4 wood is like 15.5deg had it now a few years, think I keep a eye out to see if I can pick up another one, give the idea of new model a miss.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I used have an RBZ tour spoon 3 wood which used to be on par with my driver (which I struggled with at the time)..played celtic Manor and striped it all day,then after a short break I couldnt hit it for love nor money so got rid,ive just bought another one in standard now my games back to winning ways..ive not tried a newer model since so cant vouch for the latest tech but that RBZ does exactly what I want it too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Note: This thread is 1527 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasfeb21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • In reality, 10 year old irons especially GI irons really aren’t much different then their new counterparts. Realistically you might gain a yard. And your dispersion might be a little tighter. You can upgrade, but it’s Indian not the arrow. I just bought a left handed pitching wedge from Goodwill for a buck... just to mess around with... A good fitting is important and essential don’t get wrong. But when all is said an done, lessons and then a good fitting with improve your game.
    • Hello and welcome to TST. What one may gain from updating clubs can vastly vary. Club head technology has certainly improved with the ability to get the ball in the air and to be a bit more forgiving than older models. The shaft plays a very important role as well, maybe even more important which is why a fitting can be very beneficial. As far as expectations…hard to say. But at the very least you’ll know you’re optimizing one area of your game by having the best irons for you. Cheers.
    • Unless you have undergone swing changes I wouldn't expect any change at all.  The lofts might be stronger which could make you think you've gained distance when you haven't. 10 year old cavity back irons of good quality aren't much different from brand new ones. Your golf doesn't improve when you get new irons unless you were playing something with the wrong shaft or clubs with little or no built-in forgiveness.
    • That’s up to the respective governments to determine. Many countries only require proof of a negative test. 
    • I am sure that it wouldn't be mandated. I don't think one should be allowed to travel internationally without proof of vaccination.
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. CathyKnarr
      CathyKnarr
      (28 years old)
    2. Club Greg
      Club Greg
      (58 years old)
    3. Cnich
      Cnich
      (31 years old)
    4. Douglas Reedy
      Douglas Reedy
      (40 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...