IGNORED

My Swing (Golfdad2014)

Golfdad2014
Note: This thread is 2557 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 20 years
My current handicap index or average score is: 9 handicap 
My typical ball flight is: Draw
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Overhook or big push right with baby draw

In this particular range session I was trying to work on getting my backswing shorter and steeper. For as long as I can remember I have taken the club back to far to the inside which has cause tons of issues. 

I believe this was a PW as well. 

Videos: 

• Administrator

Do you have a face-on video too?

The downswing is also steeper than you'll want.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

Very last swing looks good. But like Erik said, you need a FO pic to determine some of the important things like backswing sway, and it appears you're dipping your head just before the transition which can be indicative of improper weight transfer. 

Still early extending and swing is a little disconnected regarding the upper and lower body. Try to feel like your upper body hangs and waits on the lower body to initiate it. The swing is one chain of events and your upper body initiating its own separate movement will throw off the end result. But definitely a lot better than the first swing vid. 

Personally id prioritize coordinating the hips leading and upper body following before I did anything else. 

Edited by senorchipotle

I have had a sway for a long time. Usually it's been caused by my swing getting to long and my back swing continuing past my shoulder turn. 

In the first video I posted my focus was stepening the back swing and shorting it. Compared to my swings from yesterday I felt like my first video was much better with that. I still can't repeat it. 

This second video I didn't care about anything but how my hips were moving. Strike didn't matter to me. 

Next week hopefully I can blend the 2 things better and of course get the face on view video. OOPS!

Hey GD,

I suggest working on your posture at address. imho I would like to see your neck and head more relaxed and tilted downward. and relax the your lower back as well. you do not want that little curvature (lumbar lordosis) at address. 

PWs.png

hat.png

I see what your asking but I'm not totally sure how I'm gonna accomplish it. When I'm standing at address it feels like I can't look anymore down. 

With the lower back I try to get my weight back a bit because I know I can get on my toes. 

I try not to overthink the set up. I work on getting my shoulders over my toes and go from their. I really haven't ever thought about my back and head. 

@iacas @mvmac while I'm working on improving my swing this winter my focus has been on hitting nothing more than a 6 iron. I'm really trying to get the movements that I wanna see in my swing down. 

At what point do you recommend working on hitting hybrids, 3 woods, and my driver? I tend to swing to hard with these clubs and don't want to mess up what I have been working on. 

• Administrator

I sometimes switch clubs up to keep things fresh, but I have the discipline to keep working on things the right way.

Like… the most recent post in my Member Swing thread.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It's gonna be a beautiful day on Saturday here in Virginia Beach and I'm dieing to play. Yet, I'm working on my swing changes and improving. I have so much anxiety about carrying over the things I'm working on to the course. Ultimately I hate playing bad. 

• Administrator

Analyzr Image Export.jpg

Your hips sway back, and then you have very little axis tilt in the downswing and around impact because your head then goes forward quite a bit.

Such a commonly recommended drill, and yet… there's a reason for that.

Did some wall drill practice today. I have a counter at work that's right at hip height. Probably did 50 or so drills there. Just came home and did another 30ish in the mirror. My back is aching. Heard a lot of popping in the hips. My guess is I was pretty stuck. It doesn't feel good right now but gonna do another couple of weeks of this. Hope to hit the range in 2 weeks. Gonna just focus on my hip turn in the mean time. No club during this time. 

On 2/26/2017 at 6:04 PM, iacas said:

Analyzr Image Export.jpg

Your hips sway back, and then you have very little axis tilt in the downswing and around impact because your head then goes forward quite a bit.

Such a commonly recommended drill, and yet… there's a reason for that.

Is the axis tilt causing my shaft plane to get more steep on the down swing?

Note: This thread is 2557 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!