IGNORED

My Swing (Rainmaker)

Rainmaker
Note: This thread is 2585 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

52 minutes ago, Rainmaker said:

I really like my teacher

This is actually worth something. A friendly relationship is always good.

4 minutes ago, Rainmaker said:

Both are ugly, lol . . the second one has added ugliness due to the keeping both feet on the floor and not standing up at the end. 

The other thing I like about February swing vs Dec  . .it's harder to see . but my hips are more over-rated in Dec and there's less upper/lower body separation.  Hard to see because the even the improved version is far from ideal . . my pro actually advised me to stop analyzing my videos and I haven't done it for a while . .it feels kinda weird, lol. 

Is it possible that you needed more upper body movement relative to the lower body because your lower body is much stiller now?

Your old swing looks more natural and less stressful on the knees and such. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 minutes ago, Rainmaker said:

The other thing I like about February swing vs Dec  . .it's harder to see . but my hips are more over-rated in Dec and there's less upper/lower body separation.  Hard to see because the even the improved version is far from ideal . . my pro actually advised me to stop analyzing my videos and I haven't done it for a while . .it feels kinda weird, lol.  

I'm not an expert but I see the opposite.  To me, at impact your hips look much better in the Dec Video (and your weight looks more forward too, Key 2).  Look at your right knee and hips at impact in each of those pictures.  Compare to this or any pro that you want (the Dec one is much closer to this):

AJ.PNG

• Administrator

I'd do some of that drill to help you with the turning. Also mix it with:

You should work on turning more on your backswing. You have something like a 45° shoulder turn right now.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

10 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

I'm not an expert but I see the opposite.  To me, at impact your hips look much better in the Dec Video (and your weight looks more forward too, Key 2).  Look at your right knee and hips at impact in each of those pictures.  Compare to this or any pro that you want (the Dec one is much closer to this):

AJ.PNG

It's hard to explain because we're getting past the parts of my swing (or any swing) that I understand yet . .it's like . .in the Dec impact . .I'm already "gone" when I'm hitting the ball . .in a weak sense.  The impact position in Feb picture is a stronger position (feels like/hits like) .  Adam Scott's hips are more turned but . .he's still "there" . . .at impact.   It's these kind of wanderings that make it better for me to not start drawing lines and circles on myself, lol.  

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Rainmaker said:

It's hard to explain because we're getting past the parts of my swing (or any swing) that I understand yet . .it's like . .in the Dec impact . .I'm already "gone" when I'm hitting the ball . .in a weak sense.  The impact position in Feb picture is a stronger position (feels like/hits like).

I understand that the results might be better, but I'm with the others in preferring the December motion.

01.jpg

That's not a strong position, IMO. It's "armsy" and won't have you striking the ball first or solidly, consistently.

I think you should work on:

• The backswing - more torso (shoulder) turn.
  • The downswing - getting your hips (and thus weight, and pressure) forward and then up.
  • Upvote 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

I understand that the results might be better, but I'm with the others in preferring the December motion.

01.jpg

That's not a strong position, IMO. It's "armsy" and won't have you striking the ball first or solidly, consistently.

I think you should work on:

• The backswing - more torso (shoulder) turn.
  • The downswing - getting your hips (and thus weight, and pressure) forward and then up.

I definitely agree to work on more shoulder turn immediately . .I have worked on it before - what happens to me now is that I have a hard time achieving enough tilt.  When I do the drill where I lay the shaft across my chest and point the butt at the ball . .I seem to be able to do it . . but when I'm actually swinging it feels really crunched up and difficult . .or like my left hip wants to slide backwards . .ie . .  if I imitate it in slow motion.  I feel like I must be moving my arms in a way that's making it hard to do . . I've done the wall drill, too . .and seem to be able to do that ok as well.  

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Rainmaker said:

I definitely agree to work on more shoulder turn immediately . .I have worked on it before - what happens to me now is that I have a hard time achieving enough tilt.  When I do the drill where I lay the shaft across my chest and point the butt at the ball . .I seem to be able to do it . . but when I'm actually swinging it feels really crunched up and difficult . .or like my left hip wants to slide backwards . .ie . .  if I imitate it in slow motion.  I feel like I must be moving my arms in a way that's making it hard to do . . I've done the wall drill, too . .and seem to be able to do that ok as well.

Post a video of it.

Or do the driveway marker thing, and then stick your arms out and put your hands together like they're on a grip.

In reality your spine doesn't bend much. Use your hips.

@Rainmaker...

For what it's worth, I'm glad you're improving. It's a great feeling. As someone who struggles perhaps more than average, the times when I feel as though I'm progressing are far outweighed by those where getting better seems impossible. But I enjoy those rare steps in the right direction.

All we can do is keep working at it.

• Upvote 1

Jon

Hi @Rainmaker, been busy the past couple days so haven't gotten much of a chance to post. Got done with a workout and figured I'd give you my thoughts. Here's my recommendation, basically what @iacas, maybe the visual will help.

Apologize for the vertical video :-)

• Upvote 4

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

17 minutes ago, mvmac said:

Hi @Rainmaker, been busy the past couple days so haven't gotten much of a chance to post. Got done with a workout and figured I'd give you my thoughts. Here's my recommendation, basically what @iacas, maybe the visual will help.

Apologize for the vertical video :-)

Thanks!  That's really awesome demo of the sort of leg action I'm trying (struggling) to get to. 

quick question, though . .whenever I've done this in the past I've been concerned with my shoulder tilt not being enough . .ie . .I was pointing the shaft at the ball instead of just back across a shaft on the floor . . .so without concerning myself too much about my shoulder angle it's pretty easy for me to turn this much . .if I try to have what I think is the correct shoulder angle it's much harder. 

Should I do it with flatter shoulders . .and then worry about the shoulder angle later?

Thanks man - it was super nice of you to take the time to make that. 

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, Rainmaker said:

Should I do it with flatter shoulders . .and then worry about the shoulder angle later?

I'd say do it now.

Let's see a video of you trying to do the drill(s).

43 minutes ago, Rainmaker said:

Agree with what @iacas said. 

If you can get that amount of turn and keep the head steady, you should be tilted enough. Also I think it's fine to err a little on the shallow side when it comes to the backswing tilt (if you're gonna err).

Mike McLoughlin

54 minutes ago, Rainmaker said:

Thanks!  That's really awesome demo of the sort of leg action I'm trying (struggling) to get to. 

quick question, though . .whenever I've done this in the past I've been concerned with my shoulder tilt not being enough . .ie . .I was pointing the shaft at the ball instead of just back across a shaft on the floor . . .so without concerning myself too much about my shoulder angle it's pretty easy for me to turn this much . .if I try to have what I think is the correct shoulder angle it's much harder. 

Thanks man - it was super nice of you to take the time to make that.

I'm so jealous!. . .

See? These guys are in it to make better golfers!

• Upvote 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

(edited)
11 hours ago, mvmac said:

Agree with what @iacas said. 

If you can get that amount of turn and keep the head steady, you should be tilted enough. Also I think it's fine to err a little on the shallow side when it comes to the backswing tilt (if you're gonna err).

I see what you guys are saying.  .I'm actually moving into a new house this week AND behind at work . .but I took a few minutes to try this out . .

Yeah . .if I'm keeping my head still, my shoulders will be steep . . . . but . .I can't actually keep my head still, lol.  If I don't keep my head still, then it's no problem. 

I was thinking about it and googling things like . .what if I can't make a 90 degree turn, lol. . and I think I found a way to do it (make the full turn) better . . when I get more time later today I'll try it and see.  It's basically just the idea pulling back w/ right shoulder vs pushing back w/ left . .it seemed to improve it but it was too late to mess around with it too much. 

edit . .I will revisit the wall drill on video, too . .I probably was not doing that right in the past, either.

Edited by Rainmaker

• Administrator

Just film yourself with the shaft across your shoulders. Let's see it.

3 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

I see what you guys are saying.  .I'm actually moving into a new house this week AND behind at work . .but I took a few minutes to try this out . .

Yeah . .if I'm keeping my head still, my shoulders will be steep . . . . but . .I can't actually keep my head still, lol.  If I don't keep my head still, then it's no problem. 

I was thinking about it and googling things like . .what if I can't make a 90 degree turn, lol. . and I think I found a way to do it (make the full turn) better . . when I get more time later today I'll try it and see.  It's basically just the idea pulling back w/ right shoulder vs pushing back w/ left . .it seemed to improve it but it was too late to mess around with it too much. 

edit . .I will revisit the wall drill on video, too . .I probably was not doing that right in the past, either.

I have flexibility issues and also thought I couldn't get to 90 degrees. Turns out I can, perhaps a tiny bit past 90.  I just tried turning as far as I could, like it's a stretch instead of a golf drill.  My right leg ends up pretty straight, your mileage may vary.  Just believe and do it.

I also say it takes getting use to the full turn.  It felt weird to me, as though the club was a long way from the ball and how was I going to make good contact.

And it turned out to be instant and easy added distance to every club in the bag.

Right just film yourself with the shaft across your chest. See how it looks, take note of what you have to feel to do it.

Mike McLoughlin

Crazyness . . . moved into new house . .got behind at work . . mostly I have a lot of free time and ability to set my own schedule. .except for sometimes .. like now, lol. 

Anyway - I will practice this and I think I can do better . .here's what I can do right now.  It looks like the video goes into slow-motion when I start the turn but it's in real-time . .that's been happening lately as I keep improving...time/space continuum warps in my backswing. 

Thanks! 

Note: This thread is 2585 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!