IGNORED

JPX900 Forged vs CF16, decisions

Note: This thread is 1439 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all,

I am facing a difficult decision. I am in the process of getting new clubs to replace my Ping iE1 irons.

I went to test shafts for my "upcoming CF16" set, but they didn't have CF16 so I hit JPX900 Forged.

That club feels absolute butter. Absolute butter I say. Ok, it launches a little lower than what you'd expect and has less spin, but now I am torn... I am unable to hit the CF16 and based on reviews CF16 spins more, launches higher but still carries the same, even a bit further than the JPX900. But I have some worries. One of them is that the JPX900 line carries no 3 iron, but I guess I could get something in its place...

So:

- Is the CF16 all that much worse feeling than the JPX900?
- Would you say that the low spin/low launch in JPX900 could present problems in getting the ball to stop on the greens? (this has been mentioned in several reviews)
- Are you bothered by the relatively long blade length of JPX900 ? (I find that a little distracting)
- Which is more forgiving on the heel-side?

Tero

I may be wrong, but I suspect you answered this question just by noting your experience. 

"Absolute butter" vs "I am unable to hit"

I've learned enough here to know that people are quite happy with a wide variety of clubs. Each person should try a wide selection and go with what suits their eye and their swing (and their budget).  

Good luck! Let us know how it goes. Let's see what else others have to say about these models too, in case that factors in for you. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, RandallT said:

"Absolute butter" vs "I am unable to hit"

I think he meant that he wasn't able to hit the CF16 since they weren't available at his fitter yet.

And...there is your answer, @teropa. Wait until you can hit both before making a decision. If the "feel" and the flight characteristics you describe are important to you, you can't judge them until you try both options.

8 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

I think he meant that he wasn't able to hit the CF16 since they weren't available at his fitter yet.

And...there is your answer, @teropa. Wait until you can hit both before making a decision. If the "feel" and the flight characteristics you describe are important to you, you can't judge them until you try both options.

Exactly. No one here has a Callaway fitting cart. Therefore, can't hit them at all.

It would be ideal to be able to hit them side by side. I now have good data for the JPX900F. Just need to try the same shaft in the CF16 so I can finally arrive at the right decision.

Reason I possibly want/crave Apex: reviews, praise.. and the fact that I hit its predecessor at Las Vegas TM experience center a few years ago, and it felt fantastic.

Tero

1 hour ago, Hardspoon said:

Hey it was early! :hmm: I honestly read that as "couldn't hit them well but knew others could." Duh.

ive had my coffee now, and I think I'll have better reading comprehension. 

• Upvote 1

I can't help but so much here but I have hit the CF16 and I thought it felt great. That being said I can't compare to the JPX 900 as I haven't hit that one before. Years ago I did have a set of JPX 800 clubs that I really liked though. I say if you loved the feel of the JPX 900s just go with it. Mizuno always produces solid clubs. 

I think more importantly just get the shaft that fits you the best.

Edited by BirdieLife3

I've hit both and found them to be very similar in performance, feel, as well as aesthetics.  The CF16 do run a bit more expensive, which is why I'd recommend the JPX900F.  But definitely try to hit them both with a launch monitor if at all possible so you make the absolute best decision for your swing and what you want from your irons.

If you want to hit the CF16, go to one of the upcoming golf expos or demo days. Then you can hit the CF16 in different configurations and get an overall impression.

As far as the JPX900, if it launches a bit low you might try it with different shafts. Shafts can help launch angle.

I tried the CF16 on a couple of different demo days. Overall I liked it. But, as with all irons, some shafts felt and flew better than others.

Remember, the shaft is half the golf club.

BTW, what is your HDCP? The Mizuno iron sets carry suggested HDCP ranges in their promo material.

I would wait and compare side by side... It makes more sense that way... No 3-iron in the JPX-900 line! wait WHAT??!! 

I've heard good things about both. Mizuno's are pretty friggin sweet, just out of my price range and ability level... 

Not really my area of expertise I'm a walking Tour Edge Exotics ad, just ask @krupa, @colin007 or @RFKFREAK they'll tell you. I'm curious to try the CF16 and the JPX-900 forged as well as the TEE CBX Forged... 

My question is do you have an authorized Callaway fitter in your area?

I know you said that no one in your area has a cart @teropa, but I'm sure if you Google "Authorized Callaway fitters near me" you would turn some results.

6 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

I would wait and compare side by side... It makes more sense that way... No 3-iron in the JPX-900 line! wait WHAT??!! 

I've heard good things about both. Mizuno's are pretty friggin sweet, just out of my price range and ability level... 

Not really my area of expertise I'm a walking Tour Edge Exotics ad, just ask @krupa, @colin007 or @RFKFREAK they'll tell you. I'm curious to try the CF16 and the JPX-900 forged as well as the TEE CBX Forged...

next time we meet im calling you "StaffBoy"....

yeah, you dont need the 3, my 3 iron is from a different maker entirely, and also i would say the JPX is definitely suitable for pretty much all mid-cappers.

CF16 to me had a more of a firm feel at impact vs the JPX900 Forged. if it was me i'd go for the JPX900 they felt softer and the head wasn't chunky looking down at. i did have lil more distance with the callaway but i like the way JPX900 felt and looks. but if i was going to buy some new irons i'm more leaning towards the JPX Tour or wait till callaway releases their new Apex MB.  but for you i'd go with the Mizunos. they go some really great stuff and the JPX Forged and Tour really impresses me.  plus they have a huge shaft selections to pick from

Note: This thread is 1439 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!