IGNORED

2017 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am

Wally Fairway
Note: This thread is 2619 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ahhhhhh, Pebble! For so many years of my youth this was the tournament that got me all hot and horny for the upcoming golf season! From as far back as when it was the Crosby "Clambake"!

In the mid 90's I switched jobs (fine wine sales) to a company that went to California every year. We stayed in Carmel by the Sea. Because of the time change I'd wake up in the predawn darkness, and one day I decided to throw on my sweats and tennies and go for a walk.

I strolled down to the beach and turned North. Eventually, the beach ran out but there was a little dirt path leading up the hill. I wound up looking at a beautiful golf course. It took me a while to realize that I was standing behind the 10th green at Pebble!

Never got to play it, played Spyglass instead. But the Monterey peninsula is a place you should see if you have a chance.

• Upvote 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Heading down to Monterey early Saturday morning for the weekend action.  Could not be more excited.  All my golfing life, I've heard Augusta National, St Andrews, and Pebble Beach over and over.  Finally get to see the prestigious grounds in person.  My pick to win is J Rose

Also plan on playing it within the next few months :)

The Monterey Peninsula is juuuuuust a little rainy today.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

22 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Ahhhhhh, Pebble! For so many years of my youth this was the tournament that got me all hot and horny for the upcoming golf season! From as far back as when it was the Crosby "Clambake"!

I was the same way for a long time.  Pebble was always the signal to the start of the golf season.  Easily my favorite early-year tournament.

22 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

In the mid 90's I switched jobs (fine wine sales)

Jealous.  If you're still in the business are you hiring? :-)

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

10 hours ago, Finman said:

Also plan on playing it within the next few months :)

Hope you made your tee times in 2016! If I could hit a target number I was promised a round at Pebble when we went to California on one of our "winery scouting" trips. Well, promise me a round at Pebble and look out! I blew the number away! So, the owner called and tried to make tee times for a few months off. The person on the phone kind of chuckled and said, "You need to call at least a year in advance to get a time at Pebble. However, I can get you on Spyglass Hill". So that's how we wound up playing Spyglass. Still, a wonderful experience.

50 minutes ago, NCGolfer said:

I was the same way for a long time.  Pebble was always the signal to the start of the golf season.  Easily my favorite early-year tournament.

Jealous.  If you're still in the business are you hiring? :-)

Unfortunately, no. I am now retired. I helped build that little company until it attracted the attention of a larger outfit. When the owners informed me I got worried, but was informed that we would be folded into a fine wine division of a quite large company.

Nevertheless, I accepted the invitation to meet the manager of this division. Best decision I ever made! He is one of the smartest individuals I have ever met in my life, but he didn't always act like it. Those two jobs were the most fun working I've ever had in my life!

22 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Hope you made your tee times in 2016! If I could hit a target number I was promised a round at Pebble when we went to California on one of our "winery scouting" trips. Well, promise me a round at Pebble and look out! I blew the number away! So, the owner called and tried to make tee times for a few months off. The person on the phone kind of chuckled and said, "You need to call at least a year in advance to get a time at Pebble. However, I can get you on Spyglass Hill". So that's how we wound up playing Spyglass. Still, a wonderful experience.

Unfortunately, no. I am now retired. I helped build that little company until it attracted the attention of a larger outfit. When the owners informed me I got worried, but was informed that we would be folded into a fine wine division of a quite large company.

Nevertheless, I accepted the invitation to meet the manager of this division. Best decision I ever made! He is one of the smartest individuals I have ever met in my life, but he didn't always act like it. Those two jobs were the most fun working I've ever had in my life!

I don't believe that is quite accurate.  I get emails for stay and play packages all the time, and they're not for a year away.  In fact, the most recent one is from two weeks ago and it is for use until march 31st 2017.

And if you're not staying there then you only get 24 hours to make your tee times.

13 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Working things out, my buddy has an "in" so keeping my fingers crossed.  Skeptical, as I should be, but I'll accept Spy Glass too

2 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

JB Holmes hitting a 6 iron ....... from 105 yards

All of a sudden it looks like Scotland!

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Charlie Hoffman, Tony Finau in the wind. I love watching these guys take 1/2 swings. Everybody is Tommy Gainey two gloves. Hoffman must have that hat stapled to his head.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

23 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

I don't believe that is quite accurate.  I get emails for stay and play packages all the time, and they're not for a year away.  In fact, the most recent one is from two weeks ago and it is for use until march 31st 2017.

And if you're not staying there then you only get 24 hours to make your tee times.

Well, maybe things have changed. God knows the prices were a whole lot lower back then than they are now! I think we payed $190 per for Spyglass, and I think Pebble was going for $250 per at the time.

And we were not staying on the property, we were staying in Carmel. Maybe you get a discount if staying at the resort. At close to $500 a round I'm sure they have plenty of vacancies!

What happened to sunny California ?, hope weather improves for the rest of the tournament.

Titleist 915 D2-10.5°, Titleist 915 F 15°, PING G25 16.5°, PING G30 Hybrid 19°
PING G25 4-W, Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 48°/52°
Rife Bimini Island Series Putter, PING DLX Bag
Sureshot Rangefinder, PING Sensor Glove, Srixon Q star Balls.

4 hours ago, 65ross said:

What happened to sunny California ?, hope weather improves for the rest of the tournament.

Pebble is often cold and rainy...even in the summer. Constant air conditioner of the pacific ocean

Note: This thread is 2619 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!