IGNORED

Where Is Your Game Right Now?

RandallT
Note: This thread is 2579 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Which category describes your game at the moment?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Which category describes your game at the moment?

• Just starting out. Golf is new to me, and I'm devouring it all, trying to make sense of the information, and I'm sure progress will come.
    • Plateau. I've been playing a while, but can't seem to make any progress- oh well, I guess this is it.
    • Arrived and pleased. I've been playing a while, and I can get around a course. My game travels, and I can probably maintain it here if I just play regularly.
    • On the cusp. I feel like breakthroughs are right around the corner. This time, my handicap will dip by a few strokes- I can feel it!
    • Backsliding. I hate golf. How much can I get for my set, I wonder.
    • Dormant. I'll pick back up another time and see where I am and make decisions about how hard I need to work from there.
    • Other? Explain.

I'd say not sure where it's going at the moment, but learning a lot and enjoying the ride and have gained more body awareness than I've ever had before, I can make a lot of the "good moves" in isolation, shallow, not overswing on the backswing, better pivot, but having problems integrating it, getting all of them to work at the same time, too dependent on video, but getting better at swinging "blind", and need to work on translating all this to the course and swinging with more abandon. Not as discouraged with bad shots or swings as much now because better understanding of how my swing works, but still figuring things out and always looking to learn more. Must be a weird apple because I actually almost enjoy lessons as much as playing.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

43 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Thinking a bit about it, aren't we all kind of on the cusp?

Most definitely ....  :beer:

I agree 1000% No matter what level a persons game is at, golf is a game which drives a person
into an elusive state of mind thinking every swing could be better.

I believe sometimes players only need a little motivation to play better.
Even when they do, there's always that little gremlin in the head.

When players play poorly, they still feel there's a better player inside them.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

I would say my game right now is on the cusp. This winter I have really focused on chipping and pitching shots from inside 50 yards from the green. I have a nice field across street from house I have been practicing shots in. My chipping and pitching has drastically improved. I also said on the cusp because I really need to work on my approach from 125-175 yards out it just needs to warm up some more. I imagine once I get out on course when it warms up I will know where I stand exactly but I feel a lot of small drills I have done this winter will pay off.

1 hour ago, Lihu said:

Thinking a bit about it, aren't we all kind of on the cusp?

36 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Yup.  Everyone always thinks they're 3 swings away from greatness.  ;-)

I disagree.

If the golfer is in the unconscious incompetence level, then they are no where near the cusp. that golfer either thinks their game is ok, or if not, they do not have the knowledge to fix it. 

Those on the cusp would probably be in the late stages of conscious competence, going to unconscious competence. Where a true break thru in their game would happen. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

"Plateau" for me.  My interpretation of the question was not literally right at this moment but looking at the year just past and the year to come.  I am switching to a part-time independent contractor status with my employer so I will have more time to play and practice.  At 65, however, I don't see me re-building my flawed but serviceable swing.

At this exact moment, my game is sitting in the basement waiting for warmer weather to arrive and the snow to melt.

Brian Kuehn

For me, it's really hard to stay. I've been on a solid improvement of a couple of strokes a year off my handicap for the past ~5 years (went from an 18 at the beginning of 2013 to where I am now). I really like where my full swing it at right now. I need to show more improvement in the short game to get my handicap down further. I feel like I'm close to plateauing on the full swing, and so who knows if I'm going to keep improving or plateauing. It's going to be pretty hard to keep improving from here.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Uh, what game?

3 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

On the cusp at the moment, but that changes from week to week. 

Mine changes from hole to hole. Yesterday I birdied a par 3. My game is really improving! The next hole I made an 8, 3 putting the green. I'm selling my clubs.

Someone said they want to hit their bad shots less bad. Me, too!

Love this thread. It's like the perfect golf thread. Who knew the answer would be "on the cusp" and "I'm quitting!" Right. Exactly. That's what makes this game the greatest ever invented. What else can inspire the passion of optimism and hate at the same time. It's like nicotine stopping you from being hungry and calming you down at the same time. It's the effect that's addicting.

Where's my game at now? Probably within a shot or three per round of being as good as it gets. Is that going to be good enough for me. Time will tell.

Weren't the results of the poll as predictable as a bell curve?

:-D

Wayne

13 minutes ago, Blackjack Don said:

Uh, what game?

Mine changes from hole to hole. Yesterday I birdied a par 3. My game is really improving! The next hole I made an 8, 3 putting the green. I'm selling my clubs.

Someone said they want to hit their bad shots less bad. Me, too!

Love this thread. It's like the perfect golf thread. Who knew the answer would be "on the cusp" and "I'm quitting!" Right. Exactly. That's what makes this game the greatest ever invented. What else can inspire the passion of optimism and hate at the same time. It's like nicotine stopping you from being hungry and calming you down at the same time. It's the effect that's addicting.

Where's my game at now? Probably within a shot or three per round of being as good as it gets. Is that going to be good enough for me. Time will tell.

Weren't the results of the poll as predictable as a bell curve?

:-D

What I have figured out (took WAAAAY too long) is that the quality of your game is directly associated with how good your swing is. I've committed to spending 5 minutes a day, often more, working on my swing. After 3 months, I am finally seeing and feeling some changes. 

- Shane

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

If the golfer is in the unconscious incompetence level, then they are no where near the cusp. that golfer either thinks their game is ok, or if not, they do not have the knowledge to fix it. 

Those on the cusp would probably be in the late stages of conscious competence, going to unconscious competence. Where a true break thru in their game would happen. 

What I meant by my statement was that "we're never satisfied", not so much thinking that we could be par golfers "if only" or whatnot.

I think @David in FL took the opportunity to add that little tidbit, which looking back 7 years ago was pretty much spot on. :-D

Seriously though, most of us do feel like this game should be easier than it is. That's possibly one of the driving reasons that we're never satisfied?

The other thing is most people are not that technical in their understanding of where they are in development. In general, I would think that your definition of "cusp" is certainly going to be different than a high handicap player?

4 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

What I have figured out (took WAAAAY too long) is that the quality of your game is directly associated with how good your swing is. I've committed to spending 5 minutes a day, often more, working on my swing. After 3 months, I am finally seeing and feeling some changes. 

Sure, that's in LSW too, BTW. :-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I voted "dormant."  I signed up with Evolvr again back before Christmas and since then, because of schedule and (mostly) rain, I've been able to practice only about 3 times.

It's funny because I actually think that my game is a confusing combination of several of your choices:

Plateau - not exactly since I've been steadily improving, but it's at such a glacial pace, it often times doesn't seem like it.

Arrived and pleased - I'm not "satisfied" with where I'm at and want to keep improving, but I can't say I'm not pleased.  I enjoy playing the game after all. :)

On the cusp - I'm always optimistic that every little change will be a bigger jump than the last.

Dormant - See above. ;)

12 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

I voted "dormant."  I signed up with Evolvr again back before Christmas and since then, because of schedule and (mostly) rain, I've been able to practice only about 3 times.

It's funny because I actually think that my game is a confusing combination of several of your choices:

Plateau - not exactly since I've been steadily improving, but it's at such a glacial pace, it often times doesn't seem like it.

Arrived and pleased - I'm not "satisfied" with where I'm at and want to keep improving, but I can't say I'm not pleased.  I enjoy playing the game after all. :)

On the cusp - I'm always optimistic that every little change will be a bigger jump than the last.

Dormant - See above. ;)

I must admit that I figured I was forgetting several choices and mangling up some of them, but it never dawned on me that I was missing an "All of the Above" option! :beer:

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

I had to laugh. The biggest vote is "on the cusp"  which indicates many of you are optimists. There have been times when I felt like that, but then golf just drags me back.

I went for backsliding. Golf is having a horrible effect on my body, and in an attempt for it not to cripple me altogether I am trying to develop a new swing. Unfortunately this isn't working, and not only do I ache terribly, my golf is shocking. Anyone for tennis ?

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

1 minute ago, paininthenuts said:

Anyone for tennis ?

I play golf because my knees wouldn't hold up to the pounding on a tennis court anymore. I'm not a buck-eighty anymore, either.

:-P

Wayne

I voted on the cusp. I didn't look up the indices of every on the cusp voter but it's so easy to notice small improvements where you are close to achieving a major milestone. You could be on the cusp of breaking 100, 90, 80, or par. You could be on the cusp of achieving whatever goal or goals you have set. 

I feel I am on the cusp of contending for my state golf association titles and qualifying for a usga event. I feel I am on the cusp of a multi win year in regional amateur play. I feel I am on the cusp of getting my tournament index to the + side of zero.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Blackjack Don said:

I play golf because my knees wouldn't hold up to the pounding on a tennis court anymore. I'm not a buck-eighty anymore, either.

:-P

Good point. Chess anyone ?

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

8 minutes ago, paininthenuts said:

I had to laugh. The biggest vote is "on the cusp"  which indicates many of you are optimists. There have been times when I felt like that, but then golf just drags me back.

Or pessimists depending upon where you are in your development. :-)

To me, on the cusp means I'm learning new things. With golf it's like that all the time. It's climbing a big wall. You get past one crux only to find another and another and another. . .

I went for backsliding. Golf is having a horrible effect on my body, and in an attempt for it not to cripple me altogether I am trying to develop a new swing.

Bad idea. . .

Unfortunately this isn't working

Not surprising. Just let your body rest and heal itself.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

10 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Or pessimists depending upon where you are in your development. :-)

To me, on the cusp means I'm learning new things. With golf it's like that all the time. It's climbing a big wall. You get past one crux only to find another and another and another. . .

Bad idea. . .

Not surprising. Just let your body rest and heal itself.

Yeh, I have tried that, but a few weeks back in I am back to where I started. I come from a family who suffer with joint pain, but on the good side our internal organs are pretty tough. Anyway, as my swing was pretty crap anyway, I don't think changing it should do to much harm :-D

Note: This thread is 2579 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!